Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

On Facebook a while back, someone posted "What's the difference between ignorance and indifference?" (The old "I don't know and I don't care" joke).

My answer was "A sales department and an engineering department".

I'm just going to have to steal that from you... that's pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Awesome stuff

Wait, what? It's cost effective to set up all this just so a handful of 15+ year old cars can live on? What kind of accident requires a new B-pillar and doesn't total a car, even a brand new one? Why not make a bunch then, while you're at it?

It's cool if you can't give away the info, but where is the factory, and what car is it for?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

In short, no, it's not financially viable, but it's a good customer relations thing. It's a corolla, I don't actually remember which one, I only know it by it's internal vehicle code. There is a legal requirement to provide spares for 10 years I think in the EU, company policy dictates whether they choose to do so for longer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Heh, you'd love the aerospace sector. "Welp, one upside to them permanently grounding Concorde, we can finally clear that stuff out the archive!"

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Making more body panels could also mean selling more of other parts that they did estimate correctly on, or overestimated usage, and still have sitting in a warehouse.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just this month got some dies thrown away, they were dash reinforcement parts for the carina e. When did you last see one of those & what type of repair requires dash reinforcement but doesn't scrap the car?

it felt so good, plus scrap cast is about £200per tonne right now, so a plus for our budget.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Cakefool posted:

...the carina e. When did you last see one of those...

In a country where they don't rust away, all the time. I can see 2 out my window right now. Very popular down here.

Still it seems insane to be going to all that effort for a drat Corolla B-pillar. I can only assume it's rust repair rather than accident damage.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'd have thought by the time the b-pillar was rusted the rest of the car would be toast.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah for rust repair, more likely beaver, scuttle, sills and floor pans are wanted, not b pillars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Interview with the pilot of the Helicopter, and a few other angles of the crash. You can see the guy in the highlight whipping the cable around in what was apparently the cause of the accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm9hrOHyOu0

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 26, 2011

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Hypnolobster posted:

Jesus christ.. If he hadn't locked the front brakes, the damage it could have caused had it gone back the other way down the track would have been absolutely horrific.

This actually happened, it killed the driver and one of the crew back at the lights IIRC.

Don Garlits managed to shut his off despite being injured.

Then there's this.

And this.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 26, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cakefool posted:

The person who buys this repair panel for a 15yr old car was never going to buy a new car from us period. All told I'll guess this fiasco will end up costing the same (to produce) as 1 or 2 new cars. The benefit will be 40 people who say to their friends "oh yeah, manufacturer were able to make my baby as good as new" difficult to measure I suppose.
...or sends it back after realizing they mistakenly ordered the wrong part based on a typo or unclear parts diagram somewhere.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

VikingSkull posted:

And this.

"Okay, gotta keep control, can't let it flip...."
*BOOM*
"poo poo, where am I? Who am I? I'm in a car.... that means I've won the Daytona 500! Woohoo!"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

VikingSkull posted:

And this.

At some point he started singing the Fruit By the Foot jingle between upchucks and tears.

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
No pictures, but my dad and stepmom came to visit and they were driving their "new" 2004 Buick Lesabre.

As a little reminder, my dad is the retired Navy submarine commander who is hell on cars, apparently unintentionally. He drives automatics as if they were sticks, shifting up and down all the time in traffic. He drove my '88 Subaru GL wagon for a week with the parking brake on, wondering the whole time about the "Brake" light and why the car seemed really sluggish and got horrible fuel economy.

He's the guy who started a snow plowing business as a hobby but had to stop after he damaged too many parked cars (including my own '88 and '91 Caprice interceptors) and hit too many buildings.

He's the guy who drove my '91 Caprice for a semester while I was away at college, and when I came back the frame was bent, the heater core was blown (he had been pouring a jug of coolant into the car every time he drove it to work and back :psyduck: ), the oil filter had been crushed upward somehow (and he had been pouring oil into the engine before every trip just like coolant :psyboom: ). He had been spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on oil and coolant without ever considering the cause or possible solutions. Also, he had torn the rear bumper cover off. He had no recollection of how all the damage had occurred. To this day he maintains that he was just driving back and forth to work, which was only about four miles away on quiet, paved rural roads.

So anyway, we're talking about the '04 Lesabre and he mentions with annoyance that he just had to have the engine rebuilt. My impression of the Buick 3800 is that it's just about the most bulletproof engine out there, so I asked what happened. He said, "the water pump burned up."

My stepmom just rolled her eyes and shook her head. "You left out the part where the belt was squealing for a week because the pulley was seized up, but you kept driving. And you left out the part where the belt finally broke on a 60-mile trip but the engine was still running so you kept driving and then were mystified when the car wouldn't start again."

So yeah. My dad's latest atrocity is destroying a fairly new Buick 3800.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:stare:

Can you just do the world a favor and weld a little tag attached somewhere on the car that might not actually get damaged that says "DO NOT BUY THIS CAR"?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Your dad is my dad, too. Except he'll try to fix it and leave a partially disassembled E-150 in the driveway for a decade. When we built a kegerator for him in the garage, we drove about 45 minutes away for a 1/2 barrel of Coors. On the way there, I noticed his oil pressure needle was bouncing between 0 and normal at a stop on a slight incline. Knowing his Ranger had a 7 PSI switch, I knew he either had no oil, or the switch was on the fritz. We stopped and no oil was on the stick. Luckily, I had just purchased oil to do a change and it was in the truck already. Filled it up, drove it home, drained it all out and did it again 1000 miles later. Luckily the 3L Vulcan is a stubborn lump of iron.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

infrared35 posted:

My stepmom just rolled her eyes and shook her head. "You left out the part where the belt was squealing for a week because the pulley was seized up, but you kept driving. And you left out the part where the belt finally broke on a 60-mile trip but the engine was still running so you kept driving and then were mystified when the car wouldn't start again."

That is simply astonishing. The belt was continually screaming for a week yet he kept driving it, and then he drove it for likely 30 miles with no coolant flow. Just what would it have taken for him to actually do something, flames entering the passenger compartment?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CaptBubba posted:

That is simply astonishing. The belt was continually screaming for a week yet he kept driving it, and then he drove it for likely 30 miles with no coolant flow. Just what would it have taken for him to actually do something, flames entering the passenger compartment?

If he's anything like my dad, until the car stops going forward under its own power.

My dad bought a subaru forester brand new in 1999. After the financing period/warranty was up they stopped calling him about service appointments. 25,000km (and probably ~2 years since he drove it so little) it "stopped running". Turns out there was literally no oil left.

Cue him paying subaru to put in a brand new engine at a retarded labour cost. This was in 2006 or 2007. Somehow, 2 years later ANOTHER engine goes and this time he apparently needs a new transmission as well. Pays the dealer to have it done again.

A few months ago, he complained of a "Slight gas smell". He actually asked me about this one instead of taking it to the dealer to blindly shell out money to fix it. Jacked the car up, crawled under to be treated to a very fast drip of gas in my face. I finally convinced him to just give up and get a new car.

3 weeks later, he drove his car into a rock and put a hole in the bumper. He has also managed to get in five accidents in one day with a uhaul cube van.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Crustashio posted:

He has also managed to get in five accidents in one day with a uhaul cube van.

Those moving company trucks always scare the poo poo out of me when i see them on the road. The person driving it might not have ever driven anything larger than a Focus but somehow they're piloting this giant truck without a care in the world.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This guy commanded US Navy submarines? Like, the ones that are capable of starting global thermonuclear war?

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This guy commanded US Navy submarines? Like, the ones that are capable of starting global thermonuclear war?

Well, he was in way back during the diesel-electric days, but yeah.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
how the... gently caress?

jesus christ I share the roads with these people? :stare:

I hooned the absolute poo poo out of a 17 foot uhaul a while ago and didn't hit a single loving thing! HOW DID HE GET IN 5 ACCIDENTS JESUS CHRIST

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

infrared35 posted:

Well, he was in way back during the diesel-electric days, but yeah.
In his defense, as the commander he just told other people what to do, where to go, etc. And he also had several guys whose main job was to ensure that another couple dozen guys did all the regular maintenance on the thing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Heh, you'd love the aerospace sector. "Welp, one upside to them permanently grounding Concorde, we can finally clear that stuff out the archive!"

We still make parts for 757s

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My brother decided the timing belt on his car wasn't maintenance. It went for 100,000 miles until the water pump seized and snapped the belt in half, taking 6 intake valves and the head along with it.

When I tore the thing down the idler pulleys and tensioner were so trashed that they were loud just spinning it with my hand. When I asked him about it he said "oh yeah, it was getting a bit noisy so I just turned my radio up."

:stonk:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

ratbert90 posted:

My brother decided the timing belt on his car wasn't maintenance. It went for 100,000 miles until the water pump seized and snapped the belt in half, taking 6 intake valves and the head along with it.

When I tore the thing down the idler pulleys and tensioner were so trashed that they were loud just spinning it with my hand. When I asked him about it he said "oh yeah, it was getting a bit noisy so I just turned my radio up."

You bought him a bus pass, right?

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ratbert90 posted:

My sister did the same thing when she totaled her first car. Broke down on the side of the road, I went out the next day and there wasn't any oil on the dipstick. Ripped out the decent speakers we had put in the doors and sold a mirror to a friend of mine on a car forum who's sister had the same car. Sent the rest to the junkyard.

She's on her I think 5th car now since 2006.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

My sister did the same thing when she totaled her first car. Broke down on the side of the road, I went out the next day and there wasn't any oil on the dipstick. Ripped out the decent speakers we had put in the doors and sold a mirror to a friend of mine on a car forum who's sister had the same car. Sent the rest to the junkyard.

She's on her I think 5th car now since 2006.

What is it with sisters? My sister (four years younger), has done the same thing to almost every single car I've bought her (because, until she turned 19-20 and moved away, I was a sucker and played the "good big brother" to her).

First car: 1995 Geo Metro sedan (manual). Death: burned out the clutch going up a grade, crashed into a ditch backwards. Aftermath: My dad took the steering wheel, and we towed it out of the ditch and pushed it 2 miles home downhill in my 1988 Delta 88 (with both front wheels severely off-kilter). At night.

Second car: 1996 Saturn SL1 (auto). Death: 3 months in (day after a complete overhaul by me, valves, spark plugs, oil/transmission filters, new water pump, transmission valve body, and belts). It burst a coolant hose and lost all coolant in the morning, but she continued to drive it all day, as a pizza delivery driver :supaburn:. Aftermath: It only retained 2nd gear after her massive overheating, so after about a year we drove it in 2nd to the junkyard. They gave us $200 :smithicide:

Third car: 1989 Chevy Corsica (auto). Death: 7 months in, she got drunk/high and backed it full-speed into the (now dead) parked Saturn SL1. Aftermath: we towed the Corsica off of the Saturn's hood (I did say full speed), and drove it with the Saturn to the junkyard. The Corsica crab-walked all over the road with two off-kilter donuts on the rear tires.

Fourth car: 199X (can't remember) Chevy Astro van (auto). Death: 6 months in, she ran it out of oil for the final time. The first few times, it was a loose or forgotten oil drainplug, but the final time was a broken oil dipstick tube on the oil pan, 30 miles away from civilization. She even managed to throw a rod through the block, which means it probably ran out of oil before she even left. Aftermath: I rode in the Astro while it was towed by my dad the 30 miles back to town (straight to the junkyard) by my Delta 88. No power brakes and no power steering are very scary with an ancient van.

Fifth car: 1994 Plymouth Acclaim. I, being recently unemployed in Idaho and she being in need of a car in Tacoma, gave my Acclaim to her in January 2011. I had very recently (within 1,000 miles) done a complete overhaul of the 3.0 Mitsubishi V6 (valve seats/stem seals, water pump, timing belt, oil filter, trans filter, distributor, starter, fuel filter, etc etc), but since she was in need of a car and I wasn't, I drove it over to Seattle/Tacoma and "sold" it to her for $100 (because I'm a Big drat Hero like that). She hasn't killed it outright yet, but she's come close. She called me once to let me know that she locked the keys inside the car at her work with the car running (:pwn:), and that it would be eight hours or so until either a locksmith or her boyfriend could come and unlock it, and the asked if the car would be "okay." It ran out of gas after six hours or so (she never fills it), and very soon after that incident it required a new fuel pump.

I've come to terms that I will never see that car again :smith:.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Geirskogul posted:

What is it with sisters? My sister (four years younger), has done the same thing to almost every single car I've bought her (because, until she turned 19-20 and moved away, I was a sucker and played the "good big brother" to her).

First car: 1995 Geo Metro sedan (manual). Death: burned out the clutch going up a grade, crashed into a ditch backwards. Aftermath: My dad took the steering wheel, and we towed it out of the ditch and pushed it 2 miles home downhill in my 1988 Delta 88 (with both front wheels severely off-kilter). At night.

Second car: 1996 Saturn SL1 (auto). Death: 3 months in (day after a complete overhaul by me, valves, spark plugs, oil/transmission filters, new water pump, transmission valve body, and belts). It burst a coolant hose and lost all coolant in the morning, but she continued to drive it all day, as a pizza delivery driver :supaburn:. Aftermath: It only retained 2nd gear after her massive overheating, so after about a year we drove it in 2nd to the junkyard. They gave us $200 :smithicide:

Third car: 1989 Chevy Corsica (auto). Death: 7 months in, she got drunk/high and backed it full-speed into the (now dead) parked Saturn SL1. Aftermath: we towed the Corsica off of the Saturn's hood (I did say full speed), and drove it with the Saturn to the junkyard. The Corsica crab-walked all over the road with two off-kilter donuts on the rear tires.

Fourth car: 199X (can't remember) Chevy Astro van (auto). Death: 6 months in, she ran it out of oil for the final time. The first few times, it was a loose or forgotten oil drainplug, but the final time was a broken oil dipstick tube on the oil pan, 30 miles away from civilization. She even managed to throw a rod through the block, which means it probably ran out of oil before she even left. Aftermath: I rode in the Astro while it was towed by my dad the 30 miles back to town (straight to the junkyard) by my Delta 88. No power brakes and no power steering are very scary with an ancient van.

Fifth car: 1994 Plymouth Acclaim. I, being recently unemployed in Idaho and she being in need of a car in Tacoma, gave my Acclaim to her in January 2011. I had very recently (within 1,000 miles) done a complete overhaul of the 3.0 Mitsubishi V6 (valve seats/stem seals, water pump, timing belt, oil filter, trans filter, distributor, starter, fuel filter, etc etc), but since she was in need of a car and I wasn't, I drove it over to Seattle/Tacoma and "sold" it to her for $100 (because I'm a Big drat Hero like that). She hasn't killed it outright yet, but she's come close. She called me once to let me know that she locked the keys inside the car at her work with the car running (:pwn:), and that it would be eight hours or so until either a locksmith or her boyfriend could come and unlock it, and the asked if the car would be "okay." It ran out of gas after six hours or so (she never fills it), and very soon after that incident it required a new fuel pump.

I've come to terms that I will never see that car again :smith:.

What is is with you? She keeps destroying the cars because you keep buying them for or giving them to her and she has no reason to give a poo poo about them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bang Me Please posted:

What is is with you? She keeps destroying the cars because you keep buying them for or giving them to her and she has no reason to give a poo poo about them.

She's getting better. And, to be fair, they were all cheap cars that I myself had grown out of. No car was more than $400, some were free, and I was living at home and had extra money to blow.

She's slowly getting better at maintenance and care. Plus, familial love/protection instinct does weird poo poo to people.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Geirskogul posted:

What is it with sisters?

Christ. My sister and her husband go through cars like a paper shredder too. The thing they have now is an old Taurus with an absolutely horrible rattle coming from the rear. The extent of her knowledge is "I think it needs a new axle or something". If her stepdad wasn't obsessive about every car he had access to running smoothly, she'd have probably burnt it to the ground by now.

Recently, I got to hang out with our dad, who I hadn't seen in years, and he was pretty much floored that I actually gave a poo poo about my car, much less did stuff to it myself.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Brigdh posted:

You bought him a bus pass, right?

I got the bitch running again. He went to the junkyard with me though to get a new head.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

ratbert90 posted:

I got the bitch running again. He went to the junkyard with me though to get a new head.

While you were in the yard, you did slam one of his body parts repeatedly by dropping a big old reinforced hood from about 18" up to "teach" him, right?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sponge! posted:

While you were in the yard, you did slam one of his body parts repeatedly by dropping a big old reinforced hood from about 18" up to "teach" him, right?

I made him take the head bolts off. 18ft/lbs at 90-90-90.

I made him use the 3/8ths breaker and no cheater pipe. Needless to say it was really funny watching him try and get those fuckers off.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Thought I'd get in ahead of the game and put the series 3 Land Rover thread in here

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

ratbert90 posted:

I made him take the head bolts off. 18ft/lbs at 90-90-90.

I made him use the 3/8ths breaker and no cheater pipe. Needless to say it was really funny watching him try and get those fuckers off.

18ft/lbs? I'm hoping that's some kind of typo, or your friend is sick with some kind of muscle degeneration because that's not a lot of force

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Brigdh posted:

18ft/lbs? I'm hoping that's some kind of typo, or your friend is sick with some kind of muscle degeneration because that's not a lot of force

I read it as "Torque to 18 foot pounds in the correct pattern, then begin the pattern again turning each bolt 90 degrees further, then again, then again." for Torque-To-Yield style bolts. Its 270 degrees beyond spark plug tight. They would be reasonably tight at that point.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Sponge! posted:

I read it as "Torque to 18 foot pounds in the correct pattern, then begin the pattern again turning each bolt 90 degrees further, then again, then again." for Torque-To-Yield style bolts. Its 270 degrees beyond spark plug tight. They would be reasonably tight at that point.

Ah, makes a bit more sense then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Geirskogul posted:

What is it with sisters?

My sister:

1st car: 1988 Nissan Sentra - no oil, turned up the stereo to drown out the engine begging for mercy.

2nd car: 1992 Toyota Corolla - I honestly don't even remember what happened to this car. It must have been something mechanical.

3rd car: 1997 Dodge Intrepid - Gift from her uncle, after 2 months she decided she didn't like it and sold it to our neighbor

4th car: 1996 Nissan Sentra - T-boned in the snow by her boyfriend when she went sideways in a ditch.

5th car: 2002 Saturn SL-1 - still alive so far.

As for me....

1st car: 1989 Pontiac Sunbird - Blown transmission at around 120,000 miles. Had all the parts to fix it, then decided I was tired of working on the car.

2nd car: 1997 Chevy Cavalier - Still have it, thinking about selling it. I miss having a manual.