Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?

Wax On posted:

Just got the new King Krule 12" in the mail today. If you guys like dark and slow ballads you should definitely give it a listen.

So glad you mentioned this here. I stumbled across the album today checked it out knowing someone in this thread had just got a copy of it in. Currently hooked and putting in my own order as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
Anyone pick anything up for RSD? I got the Grateful Dead - Europe '72 and RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I wanted to get both Phish releases but they didn't have them and I don't feel like trekking into the city and dealing with the traffic. Anyone know if it's still available online somewhere?

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
Recent pictures:

Clockwise from top left:
Brigette Bardot - Le Belle Bardot
Mr. Oizo - Transexual/Patrick 122 EP
Mr. Oizo - Stade 2
Justice - Cross
King Krule EP
Dirty Beaches - Lone Runner
Mr. Oizo - Moustache/Half a Scissor (just re-released on vinyl)

Anyone who likes Oizo, buy Stade 2 now. I waited every time his LP's came out and missed every single one before now.

e. Poster that comes with Stade 2

Collection

Wax On fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 25, 2011

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Here's my haul for the day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm at my parents' place for the holiday, the place listed close by is just a used book/record warehouse :( Picked up Pat Benatar's first 3 albums for $3, though :unsmith:

Brose
Feb 23, 2004

Send Help :(
I've been looking for The Dear Hunter Color Spectrum complete vinyl boxset. Seem's I'm several months too late and the only one's I found are going for like $500. Insane.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I have a pile of vinyl, most of its just cheap second hand stuff I bought that I wanted to listen to. The only one I bought brand new was Pearl Jam's No Code. So I looked it up and it's going for anywhere between 100-200 dollars. Is it really that expensive or rare?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Just got home to find this had come in the mail for me. Ecstatic!

surc fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 27, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I picked up the new Black Keys 12" single earlier today. It's got a pretty interesting gimmick. The record plays backwards. The recording isn't backwards, but you put the stylus on the runout groove and it plays from there instead of the other way around like usual. Has anyone released a record like that before?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

CPL593H posted:

I picked up the new Black Keys 12" single earlier today. It's got a pretty interesting gimmick. The record plays backwards. The recording isn't backwards, but you put the stylus on the runout groove and it plays from there instead of the other way around like usual. Has anyone released a record like that before?

I read something about this recently. I think a lot of older classical recordings were done this way to reduce distortion as the music got louder toward the end. Something to do with the number of rotations increasing as the needle gets closer to the center of the disc.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
The second Dropdead album does that. I was so fuckin confused when I tried to play it, the needle kept falling off until I some how realized it goes the other way.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

CPL593H posted:

Quite common on multiple set 16" radio transcriptions. The idea was that the first side would play outside to inside, the second inside to outside, the third outside to inside and so on, so that the fidelity mismatch due to groove distortion would be less noticeable to the listener. Once overall disc fidelity increased, these practices became largely redundant.

Old Pathe discs are inside out too.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I have a record by Less Than Jake where there is a bonus track on each side, and the only way to play it is to move the needle towards the center of the record and drop it, and then it will play from the outside in.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

It's been awhile since I last posted in this thread, and I've made quite a lot of purchases since then, effectively draining my wallet. But since I'm fairly new to this whole business of record collecting, most of my purchases so far have been old favorites of mine. So here's what I've picked up in the last month or so:

From Sonic Youth I have: Evol (Pink 180 gram) and Sister (Purple 180 Gram). Both of these were limited to 500 copies each and Insound had some. They both look and sound very full. I'm listening to Sister right now. I also picked up and original near mint copy of their 1985 EP Death Valley '69. It was too good a deal to pass up for a fanatic like me. And I got Lee Ronaldo's solo record Countless Centuries Fled into the Distance. It's clear vinyl with a very cool pattern visible from both sides.

The Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Neutral Milk Hotel - In an Aeroplane Over the Sea
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030 (You have no idea how excited I was to see this in a store. My all-time favorite hip-hop album.)
Postal Service - Give Up
Parenthetical Girls - Entanglements

Calexico and Iron & Wine - In the Reins
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
Nirvana - In Utero Limited Colored edition that came out a couple years back
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Arcade Fire - Funeral (the last AF album I needed to buy for all three)

M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us
Crocodiles - Sleep Forever
Pat Methany - First Circle and Rejoicing w/ Charlie Haden & Billy Higgins
Norah Jones - Come Away with Me

And the cream of the crop in my recent purchases...

Broken Social Scene's Forgiveness Rock Record on seven 10" colored records. It's definitely an excessive, ridiculous purchase. But I found it new for much, much cheaper than it goes for online, and I couldn't pass it up. It sounds so, so good - completely different than the CD. And those records are absolutely gorgeous; this picture does them no justice.

Now to avoid buying any new records for like, three months.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

How much did Loveless set you back?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Duckula posted:

How much did Loveless set you back?

Uh, $10. It was a used copy (though still in its shrink wrap) marked at $13 and I got a 25% employee discount off it. I believe it's a 2003 reissue.

Edit: Wow. Did not know until now how hard this thing is to get. My store tends to sell things much cheaper than you can find online.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 28, 2011

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

MokBa posted:

Uh, $10. It was a used copy (though still in its shrink wrap) marked at $13 and I got a 25% employee discount off it. I believe it's a 2003 reissue.

Edit: Wow. Did not know until now how hard this thing is to get. My store tends to sell things much cheaper than you can find online.

TELL US WHERE

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

TELL US WHERE

I work at a small Utah-based "entertainment" store called Graywhale that survives off used movies, CDs, video games, and vinyl. (Though we also sell new releases, the profit comes from used product.) A couple weeks ago, someone sold us some records that were barely touched. This included both Loveless and Surfer Rosa, which I picked up for myself for <$10 each. This is how I also picked up that huge Forgiveness Rock Record set for a whole lot less than the $115 price you find online. Sometimes you just get really, really lucky.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
If I win the lottery and go missing for days you will find me with a sack full of money at Princeton Record Exchange foaming at the mouth.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

MokBa posted:

lotsa vinyl!!

Sweet haul, man. Glad to see your Sonic Youth made it over in one piece. And drat but I wish my copy of Loveless was as cheap as yours :(

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

fozzie dunlop posted:

Sweet haul, man. Glad to see your Sonic Youth made it over in one piece. And drat but I wish my copy of Loveless was as cheap as yours :(

Yeah I was very glad to open those up and see the glory of the colored discs. It has almost tempted me to get those editions of Confusion is Sex and Bad Moon Rising, even though I'm not as big a fan of those albums. Maybe after the new year.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism
I recently picked up a used SL1200 MK2 turntable from Amazon, and I just got around to unpacking it over the holiday break. In the shipping box, it included a spring that I can't seem to make any sense of (lighter for scale):

The spring was just rolling around loose in the box, not installed anywhere that I could tell.

I dug around and managed to find some PDFs of the manual for this model, but I don't see any mention of a spring in the parts list. Looking at the turntable, having no idea what I'm doing, it looked like it could've fit into the rotating piece that the platter drops into - but I don't think that's correct. Without the screw, the platter drops into place with zero effort, and spins smoothly. When I put the spring down between the base and the platter, the platter sits at an angle and doesn't come down flush. I decided to not try turning the turntable on with the spring in place.

Anyone have any idea what this is for? The thing wasn't well packed, so I'm wondering if the person who packed it up didn't know what they were looking at either, and just threw it in because it was next to the turntable when they were shipping it or something. Or maybe someone's loving with me.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Wild guess: one of the feet

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Something to do with the feet would be my guess as well, but it's also very likely that it's just some random spring that has nothing to do with anything. I have two turntables and neither of them have any springs anywhere.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism

Farts Domino posted:

Wild guess: one of the feet

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Something to do with the feet would be my guess as well, but it's also very likely that it's just some random spring that has nothing to do with anything. I have two turntables and neither of them have any springs anywhere.

Oops. Forgot to mention that in the original post: all of the feet fit on just fine, and don't appear to have anywhere a big spring like that could be placed.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The seller was obviously planning to have the turntable jump out of the box when you opened it, but somewhere along the line the spring got knocked out of place.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

That spring goes into the feet. They are spring loaded to increase stability, I guess. They go around a screw in he middle of the foot.

alg fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 29, 2011

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

alg posted:

That spring goes into the feet. They are spring loaded to increase stability, I guess. They go around a screw in he middle of the foot.

Oh, that makes sense. I initially thought it might have been an improvised 45 adapter at first, but as far as jury-rigged 45 adapters go a spring would be a pretty poor choice.

Also it's time for some Insound holiday vinyl deals!!
1) Buy yourself a turntable and get a $20 coupon for a free LP.
2) Buy any 10 of our top-selling records of 2011 and get 20% off your order, plus a free tote bag.
3) All domestic orders over $175 get free shipping this holiday season.

There are other deals on the site too like discounts on CDs, but I'm not going to post them because 1) this is the vinyl thread and 2) who the gently caress still buys CDs?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
All this talk about feet led me to Needle Doctor to check out some stabilization pads. I was shocked to see that some of them get up to $1500, but then I started browsing their shop a bit more, and came across this cartridge. :stare: $15,000. I can't imagine even being able to hear well enough to justify spending that much on a single component. Craaazy.

Then again, they also have a turntable that's nearly $200,000, so I guess if you're going for that kind of eccentricity, you may as well throw in a 15 grand cartridge. Chump change.

Has anyone here ever listened to a record on equipment that outrageously expensive? If so, what's it like? :allears:

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Has anyone here ever listened to a record on equipment that outrageously expensive? If so, what's it like? :allears:
I would never be able to bring myself to subject such a pricey cartridge to the subtle wear and tear of playing vinyl

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

All this talk about feet led me to Needle Doctor to check out some stabilization pads. I was shocked to see that some of them get up to $1500, but then I started browsing their shop a bit more, and came across this cartridge. :stare: $15,000. I can't imagine even being able to hear well enough to justify spending that much on a single component. Craaazy.

Then again, they also have a turntable that's nearly $200,000, so I guess if you're going for that kind of eccentricity, you may as well throw in a 15 grand cartridge. Chump change.

I've seen poo poo like that before because some guy I used to work with brought in these audiophile catalogs. Dear god, there must be a lot of people with more money than sense. I mean isn't there a point where you can't spend anymore money to make it sound better? I also use to see lots of gold plated electrical outlets and thousand dollar cables. Who the gently caress buys this poo poo?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Exactly. I haven't spent much at all on my setup and it sounds loving amazing. The only time I've had an issue with the sound has been from the vinyl being staticy or dirty. There has to be a point when the record itself is not creating a perfect sound, even if the equipment is.

I now have an image in my mind of someone in a clean-room with advanced air filtration, humidity control, sound dampening, etc., wearing an anti-static suit and gloves, handling records like they're loving uranium and enjoying pure audio bliss for like 10-15 minutes at a time before having to carefully flip the record over, making sure the earth's rotation and gravity haven't thrown off the syncing of the turntable, and so forth. :)

vvv That's downright reasonable compared to this.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 30, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Exactly. I haven't spent much at all on my setup and it sounds loving amazing. The only time I've had an issue with the sound has been from the vinyl being staticy or dirty. There has to be a point when the record itself is not creating a perfect sound, even if the equipment is.

I now have an image in my mind of someone in a clean-room with advanced air filtration, humidity control, sound dampening, etc., wearing an anti-static suit and gloves, handling records like they're loving uranium and enjoying pure audio bliss for like 10-15 minutes at a time before having to carefully flip the record over, making sure the earth's rotation and gravity haven't thrown off the syncing of the turntable, and so forth. :)

Some people do wash records before every play and clean the stylus after every side.

Although cleaning the stylus after every side is actually a good idea especially since most methods are quite quick.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
My friend's dad has a Linn Sondek LP12 and a home theater setup that makes me poo poo myself when I see it. One of those "all my cables are a thousand dollars each" guys. He's retired now and just watches blu ray movies.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So I ordered the Vinyl for Lonely Island's Turtleneck and Chain while drunk last weekend. It arrived today and I have to say...awesome.
Its the vinyl, dvd of music videos, ridiculous poster, and digital download for like 25$ shipped.
My goodness I love these guys.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

my Black Friday haul :allears:

kind of a smattering of different genres, can't wait to listen to that Night Birds LP.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

alg posted:

kind of a smattering of different genres, can't wait to listen to that Night Birds LP.

Night Birds LP is AWESOME. I managed to get one of the early pre-order copies that comes with this screenprinted slipcover thing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alg posted:

You mean you didn't wait outside in line with everyone else to hopefully get that eighty dollar reissue of John Lennon's Imagine?

On another note, I saw the Screaming Females open for the Dead Weather. They were pretty weird. The singer looks way too young. I regret not grabbing their album at the show.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

CPL593H posted:

You mean you didn't wait outside in line with everyone else to hopefully get that eighty dollar reissue of John Lennon's Imagine?

On another note, I saw the Screaming Females open for the Dead Weather. They were pretty weird. The singer looks way too young. I regret not grabbing their album at the show.

They are one of my faves but they always play really eccentric venues. I had a ticket to see them but it was at an all ages (no drinking) venue and it was in Chapel Hill on Halloween, meaning there would be nowhere to park.

I really want to see them but I think all the venues in Raleigh aren't low key enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

They're worth getting into. I'd start with Castle Talk. Here's a song