Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What the gently caress I think this guy needs more RAM

(from another forum)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ouch, that's a shitload of pageouts. :eek:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Can you buy the Apple OEM SSD anywhere?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Not sure if this is a hardware (decoder) or software (player) problem, but the DVD Player app on my 13" MBA has stopped playing sound from both physical discs (using MBA external Superdrive) and ISOs. Other apps play sound just fine, and the discs can be ripped by Handbrake including the audio.

Is there some hidden mute setting I'm overlooking, or a preference file I can delete?

Relevant info:

Version of DVD Player:

Files I've deleted and let be recreated, to no avail:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Can you buy the Apple OEM SSD anywhere?
The Mac Pro SSD, yeah.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Solid-State-Drive-MC731ZM/dp/B003YXYENY/

It's a terrible buy though. Price/performance ratio is awful compared to other SSDs.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm looking for the 256GB one and I know the price is ridiculous, but I'm at the end of my rope with my OWC and don't hold out much hope that anything outside of an Apple SSD will be more stable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm looking for the 256GB one and I know the price is ridiculous, but I'm at the end of my rope with my OWC and don't hold out much hope that anything outside of an Apple SSD will be more stable.

pipebomb is/was selling a 512GB Apple SSD

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

pipebomb is/was selling a 512GB Apple SSD
At a horrible price.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

At a horrible price.

It's priced about the same as they are on eBay (for an Apple SSD), but price/performance wise you are far better off getting something from another manufacturer.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

What third-parties are people using? I did a ton of research before going with the OWC but I guess I hosed up.

I'm so tempted to sell my Mini and the SSD and get one with SSD from Apple, or also sell my ACD and get a 21" iMac. I deal with enough broken poo poo at work, I can't handle it at home.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I had horrible luck with OCZ but the Corsair Force I have no has been flawless. :)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Intel/Crucial/Samsung are known for reliability. Intel is #1 and they come with 5 year warranties.

Also I'm looking at configuring a 15" MBP and I can't believe they still come with 2x2gigs of RAM. Pay the extra few cents and give us a single 4gig stick, come on! I guess it doesn't really matter since you can get 2x4 gigs nowadays for under $40.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
How is Apple when it comes to returns? I know they have a 14-day return policy for computers. I bought a 27" iMac this last week and I'm not really feeling it. It works fine, but I just don't know if I really need it. I wanted it for school but I am finding that I am having difficulty in being as productive as I am on a PC.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Uh, you return it and get your money back if it's within the 14 day window...

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

hunter x az posted:

How is Apple when it comes to returns? I know they have a 14-day return policy for computers. I bought a 27" iMac this last week and I'm not really feeling it. It works fine, but I just don't know if I really need it. I wanted it for school but I am finding that I am having difficulty in being as productive as I am on a PC.

As long as it's within the 14-day window, full refund with no questions asked.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Thanks guys. Do I have to uninstall stuff from it or just pack it up in the box and take it back?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They wipe the drive before selling it again but I'd do it anyway just in case.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Intel and Samsung have been the solid ones in the past for the most part, Crucial M4 seems pretty solid now too.

The Samsung 470 in mine (2.5ghz i5 w/Radeon) has been fine, 830 is the newer faster version of that, although with any new stuff you might want to wait a bit to see if there's anything up with it. It seems fine from what I've heard, barring some goon's problem, but that might be the computer's fault in that case.

The OEM ones for a while have been a version of the 470 or some slower Toshiba one used in the cheaper Kingston drives...either way the retail ones don't get TRIM support without the hack, but they seem fine without it at least.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
My ssd is still for sale, and I've cut my asking price to be on par with non-Apple products (800) - helluva loss for me, but I have no use for it currently.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm worried that my MBP (first unibody Fall 2008) is overheating a bit. When I open it up from sleep it's very hot in the area below the keyboard, next to the trackpad. Does the surface you have your computer on affect it's ability to dissipate heat at all? I have it on the floor (carpet) quite often, or on a wood table. Also is there some kind of temperature diagnostic that I can run to see if there's really a problem?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I'm worried that my MBP (first unibody Fall 2008) is overheating a bit. When I open it up from sleep it's very hot in the area below the keyboard, next to the trackpad.

Are you sure it's actually going to sleep? The fans should shut down and the sleep LED should be pulsing.

If it's hot immediately upon opening it (and you're not sleeping it for extremely short periods of time), it probably isn't going to sleep.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If that area of heat is to the right of the trackpad, the source could be the hard drive. If it's to the left, then it's the battery. Neither one should really be doing that.

You could try this:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/0TemperatureMonitor/download.php5

It's a free app that reports temps from whatever sensors it can find.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I went out for a few hours and left the display up and it wasn't as warm. I assume it was going to sleep when I closed it because that white light was flashing on and off slowly. Right now it feels okay. Is there a reason that the left speaker area (by the inputs) is always warmer than the right speaker?

Maybe I should try using the "Sleep" menu option next time I want to do that instead of just closing the lid.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 28, 2011

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I went out for a few hours and left the display up and it wasn't as warm. I assume it was going to sleep when I closed it because that white light was flashing on and off slowly. Right now it feels okay. Is there a reason that the left speaker area (by the inputs) is always warmer than the right speaker?

Maybe I should try using the "Sleep" menu option next time I want to do that instead of just closing the lid.

The left side is where most of the heat-generating components are (right side is dominated by the optical drive).

When the machine is sleeping it should be generating very, very little heat. Had yours been actively charging the battery when you noticed this?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oneiros posted:

The left side is where most of the heat-generating components are (right side is dominated by the optical drive).

When the machine is sleeping it should be generating very, very little heat. Had yours been actively charging the battery when you noticed this?

I don't think so, I only have it unplugged if I move it from one room to another. Last night I had it closed under my bed on the carpet and it was quite warm upon opening. I was just wondering if having it lying in certain places could allow it to not ventilate heat as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sooo what's the trick to getting my new 13" MBA to sleep while I have a monitor connected? I close the lid and it just sits there laughing at me. The sleep menu option works fine, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Is the MagSafe plugged in? Try pulling that out.

Anyway, there is a Terminal command to get the display to work like it did before Lion, just enter this (I think it was discussed a few pages back):

sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0"

then, reboot. This will make the display behave as it did in Snow Leopard (with external monitor connected, close lid, wake with external keyboard, lift lid later and built-in display remains off unless you do a 'Detect Displays')

If you want to revert to default Lion behavior, type in:

sudo nvram -d boot-args

(with external monitor connected, close lid, wake with ext. keyboard, lift lid and built-in display comes back on)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 28, 2011

oxy
May 14, 2008
I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've been looking at macs, specifically the macbook air.

I want something that is lightweight and that will last for a long period of time. I also do a lot of number crunching (running simulations) and I check: the software is available for macs which leads me to my first question: Is the macbook air powerful enough to run through simulation type work.

I need some help though: I'm trying to justify the price of the macbook air. What makes them so much better then other portable laptops that are generally a fraction of the price? I've never owned a mac before for this reason. If someone can come up with a justification other than OSX that would be great (and not one that says "it just works").

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

oxy posted:

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've been looking at macs, specifically the macbook air.

I want something that is lightweight and that will last for a long period of time. I also do a lot of number crunching (running simulations) and I check: the software is available for macs which leads me to my first question: Is the macbook air powerful enough to run through simulation type work.

I need some help though: I'm trying to justify the price of the macbook air. What makes them so much better then other portable laptops that are generally a fraction of the price? I've never owned a mac before for this reason. If someone can come up with a justification other than OSX that would be great (and not one that says "it just works").

An Air is actually competitively priced. I can't find many laptops with ~7 hr. battery life, 128-256gb SSD, and i5-i7 processor for a "fraction" of the Air's price. $100-200 less, maybe, but then you're losing on build quality and features like trackpads, backlit keyboard, etc. Refurbished Airs have shown up recently in the Apple Store (refurbished Macs are as good as new and come with the same warranty) that cuts the price even lower. If you can show me some laptops with similar specs/build quality that are much cheaper, I can go into more differences, but the only thing I know that's really close are the Ultrabooks, and those are around $1k from what I've seen.

Edit: I should also say, a lot of the things you don't necessarily see on a spreadsheet, like the trackpad, the weight, the thinness, etc, are some of the best parts of an Air, and make it one of those "joy to use" scenarios. That and the fact I can leave mine sitting around for a few weeks without using it and know it'll pretty much instantly turn on with plenty of battery when I open the lid.

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 28, 2011

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

El Duke posted:

Edit: I should also say, a lot of the things you don't necessarily see on a spreadsheet, like the trackpad, the weight, the thinness, etc, are some of the best parts of an Air, and make it one of those "joy to use" scenarios. That and the fact I can leave mine sitting around for a few weeks without using it and know it'll pretty much instantly turn on with plenty of battery when I open the lid.

If it's a joy to use, why would you leave it sitting around for a few weeks without using it!?!?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

If it's a joy to use, why would you leave it sitting around for a few weeks without using it!?!?

between iMac, only being able to use the work laptop for actual work, and doing stuff after I get home, sometimes it just doesn't see a ton of use for a stretch.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

oxy posted:

Is the macbook air powerful enough to run through simulation type work.

Yes and no.

The CPU is plenty fast but if you want a quad-core (or with hyperthreading, an 8 (virtual) core) machine, you're going to have get a 15" Macbook Pro. The i5/i7 in the Air (and the 13" Pro) are the only dual-core.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bob Morales posted:

Sooo what's the trick to getting my new 13" MBA to sleep while I have a monitor connected? I close the lid and it just sits there laughing at me. The sleep menu option works fine, though.

I just press CMD+OPT+Eject. They changed the lid close behavior in Lion to only shut off the internal display.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

carry on then posted:

I just press CMD+OPT+Eject. They changed the lid close behavior in Lion to only shut off the internal display.

Stupid. They could at least put a checkbox for 'go to sleep when I close the lid' in Energy Saver.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I think Apple changed this in Lion to make closed clamshell mode a more seamless transition.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's with these craigslist ads?

:lol:

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Quick question about Macbook Air 11 inch. My wife is going to be running Windows VM almost every day, so will the i7 upgrade be worth it? Mostly basic stuff on both OS X and Windows, but coming from a Core2Duo running similar, I definitely would like more speed. She's coming from a hilariously old laptop (7 years old), though,so maybe it won't matter much.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It's probably not worth all that money. As it stands the i5 + SSD is going to be like loving magic lightning compared to that old of a laptop.

EDIT - I would recommend the 4GB upgrade though. Gonna be necessary if you're doing VM work.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 29, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

oxy posted:

will last for a long period of time. I also do a lot of number crunching (running simulations)
One caveat if you're referring to battery life here: it can last a long period of time, and it may be fast enough for your simulations (keeping in mind what Bob Morales posted)...but you won't get the first while doing the second.

If you're just talking about the laptop holding up for a few years they should be fine though.

quote:

Compare them to the "ultrabooks" that are coming out since those are well, comparable, both feature and price wise (if you don't care for OS X maybe look into those). They're basically like the super expensive high performance sub notebooks before netbooks came about, you have the whole thin and light thing, but good CPU horsepower and the SSD to keep things speedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-20233217-L015A

$189 (today at 12PM EST) for 2x8GB RAM

Now it begins with everyone sticking 16GB in their Macbook Pros...