Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
I've been about the use of Juniper berries and the twigs being used as a filter/false bottom sort of situation. Is there a reason why black birch or maple twigs couldn't be used? Would they attribute any (good) flavors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on the lookout for a nice propane burner, a weldless bulkhead with valve and diptube, weldless sightglass, and other miscellaneous stuff so please post any brew related Cyber Monday sales here please!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

mewse posted:

- there's a calculation for a certain amount of mash water needed per pound of grain (i think it's 2 quarts per pound?)

anyway congrats on your first all grain batch :) i'm in a tiny apt so i'm still thinking about doing my first mini-mash

Ah yeah, I forgot about that section! I remember reading that a long time ago. I knew I was missing something when I was trying to remember what I should read over before brewing!

indigi posted:

Sure you could, go get that sample asap

Welp, wish I'd checked in this thread sooner to see your post. There's activity going on in the fermenter now, so I'm afraid to crack it open to grab my sample. Lesson learned, grab a little more than I think I need.

tesilential posted:

Run your grains through the mill twice from now on. That alone gets me around 70-75%. Additionally you can rinse the grain bag with some hot water to wash out some more sugar. You could also raise the temp to 165* or so before removing the grains.

If you are really concerned the best way is to use a larger volume of water to dissolve the sugars during the mash and then boil longer to get back to your target volumes.

Did you end up using the starter from last weekend or did you buy new yeast?

*I'm on the lookout for a nice propane burner,

No kidding?! Crush the grain twice eh? I'll definitely do that next time I'm at the LHBS. I debated doing a mashout but decided not to. The BIAB how-to guide didn't mention doing one. But I guess I should've listed to my hunch instead.

To ferment, I ended up buying new yeast. The starter never took off. But I'm guessing that's because of how old the stuff was.

If you're looking for a burner, mine served me well this last brew time. I got it cheap at Sam's Club. The only annoying thing is that there's a 20 minute timer attached to the burner. So you just gotta remember to reset it before it times out and cuts the flame.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dolemite posted:

Ah yeah, I forgot about that section! I remember reading that a long time ago. I knew I was missing something when I was trying to remember what I should read over before brewing!

If you're looking for a burner, mine served me well this last brew time. I got it cheap at Sam's Club. The only annoying thing is that there's a 20 minute timer attached to the burner. So you just gotta remember to reset it before it times out and cuts the flame.

He's referring to traditional mashing methods, although I think they aim more for 1.2-1.5 qts water per pound of grain. With BIAB you use your total boil volume + extra water to account for grain absorption. I use a little less to allow for a "mini-sparge" of the grain bag.

I think grain absorption is like .1 quarts per pound or something. I seem to lose about 1 gallon of water to my roughly 10 # grists, after the squeeze.

Which burner do you have? I have a cheap high pressure (3" venturi design) jet burner that I haven't even used yet. Now that I think about it, it will probably work fine for a 7 or 8 gallon boil and I should at least try it first.

I still need a better wort chiller and weldless kettle fittings though.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Retemnav posted:

Stove-top brewing: canning pot or stock pot?

I use a stock pot now, but it can't handle more than a gallon.

I did a test brew on the stove awhile back where I had all 4 burners going with 4 separate pots.

I found the enamel canning pot was the easiest to manage and boiled the most wort compared with some thicker stock pots.

The test batch was to see how low I could go on equipment costs to get my brother brewing. It went really well but I boiled off a ton of liquid.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That makes sense because stainless steel is actually a pretty horrific conductor of heat, as far as metals go. If you do go stainless it really pays to get a pot with some form of heat spreader in the base.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

CaptBubba posted:

Did that one you tried from me inspire you? I still have 3 of your beers in my fridge which give me the stink eye every time I open the door :( I'm horrible about keeping the last few bottles of anything around because "when I drink the last bottle then it will all be gone"

Yes, among others. I had a pretty good one down at Gordon Biersch in Myrtle Beach over the summer and had put that 'style' on my list. 'Been waiting for the temps to drop down low enough so I wouldn't have to work so hard to keep it cool. Also cooked an APA Saturday. The APA is sitting outside my cool chamber fermenting at 64, the Schwarzbier in the chamber at 52.

In unrelated news I just tapped the cider I naturally fermented from last year. Nov 20th last year I purchased 12 Gallons of Stayman Winesap pressed cider from a local orchard at a LHBS sponsored "cider day". Half I pitched S-04 into and half I put an air lock on and left in the corner of the basement for a year. I did dump about 2# of honey in after about a month and racked once in the Feb/March time frame. Other that that it sat. The natural fermented down all the way to 0.996. I thought cider I made with champagne yeast was dry, this stuff is all new kinds of dry. It's quite good, has real apple flavor and more importantly a pronounced apple aroma. But it's so dry it's hard to get more than a pint down. I'm considering back sweetening a bit, but it's also a 9.9% ABV so I'm not sure I need to promote having more than one pint. Maybe I'll just make a simple sugar for parties and stick it in a squirt bottle on top of the kegerator. I do think the natural ferment produced a cleaner cider that IMO has better flavors than the same stuff I pitched yeast.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

tonedef131 posted:

Just for future reference De Koninck doesn't actually use any munich malt in their mash, it's made up entirely of pilsner and vienna malts. I made a really pleasant Belgian Ale last year when that yeast was out with vienna and German pale malt, some brown sugar and hallertau hops. I just brewed up another one yesterday since that yeast is out again but this time swapped the pale out for pilsner, stuck to an all-malt grain bill and used Saaz, so it should be a lot more along the lines of De Koninck. Every time I make a Belgian ale of this sort I end up using more and more Vienna, I think I'll likely just do 100% vienna from now on and perhaps even try a decoction schedule similar to what Palm uses.
Yeah I read it only has pale (pils?) and vienna in Brew Like A Monk, I just have a hard time believing it. The Belgian beer cafe in town has it on tap and I remember it being a really deep garnet color, which I've never got close to even with 100% Vienna malt bills.

Is that yeast out again? That's fantastic. I'll have to do one up right this time. A decoction with all Vienna sounds tasty as hell, but I'm not sure which way I'm going to go yet.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."

tesilential posted:

I'm on the lookout for a nice propane burner, a weldless bulkhead with valve and diptube, weldless sightglass, and other miscellaneous stuff so please post any brew related Cyber Monday sales here please!

Austin Homebrew still has 3-piece stainless ball valves on sale for 14.99. Pretty much the cheapest you're going to find that nice of a valve.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

porkface posted:

I did a test brew on the stove awhile back where I had all 4 burners going with 4 separate pots.

I found the enamel canning pot was the easiest to manage and boiled the most wort compared with some thicker stock pots.

The test batch was to see how low I could go on equipment costs to get my brother brewing. It went really well but I boiled off a ton of liquid.

Interesting, guess I'm gonna order a canning pot.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

tesilential posted:

He's referring to traditional mashing methods, although I think they aim more for 1.2-1.5 qts water per pound of grain. With BIAB you use your total boil volume + extra water to account for grain absorption. I use a little less to allow for a "mini-sparge" of the grain bag.

I think grain absorption is like .1 quarts per pound or something. I seem to lose about 1 gallon of water to my roughly 10 # grists, after the squeeze.

Which burner do you have? I have a cheap high pressure (3" venturi design) jet burner that I haven't even used yet. Now that I think about it, it will probably work fine for a 7 or 8 gallon boil and I should at least try it first.

I still need a better wort chiller and weldless kettle fittings though.

Yeah, I think by the time I was done mashing and squeezing as much wort out of the bag as I could, I still lost maybe .75 to a full gallon of water. Annoying since I don't know how much I really lost. I only had a mark on my stirring spoon for 5 gallons of water. I started with a certain amount of water above the mark and when I was done, I managed to be below the mark. I figure that swing means I lost about a gallon. I'll probably mark a few extra marks onto the spoon so I know better.

Regarding burners, I have the Backyard Classic Professional 36 Qt. Turkey Fryer (Link) and it seems to work pretty well. I was surprised how quickly I could heat up an entire 5 gallon batch of wort to boiling temps! Probably didn't take more than 10-20 minutes. In comparison, I've spent close to 45 minutes or an hour trying to heat 2-3 gallons to a boil on my lovely gas stove.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

clutchpuck posted:

Summary: 5 gal; wheat, pilsner, and crystal malt; 1 oz Cascade; Wyeast Northwest Ale yeast

Post-tapping report: Really good stuff. Missed the flavor I was shooting for; wanted more crystal flavor. But it was good enough to drink like 8 pints. Next time maybe less/no pilsner, more crystal. Gravity was fairly close, next batch I'm going to keep some LME around to bump it up if I come out too low. It's small enough to drink all night long without getting drunk but big enough to taste like a proper beer.

Could have used a few more weeks conditioning; first gallon was pretty cloudy. Yeah I know it's a wheat but I wanted a clear wheat, and it did clear up nicely after 10 pints or so.

All in all, for my first self-written all-grain recipe, this batch came out as good as I could hope for. Very happy I went all-grain and got a kegging setup.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey has anyone had monk's cafe flemish sour ale before? it's stellar. wondering if anyone knows anything about how its made?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Home Brew Club Members:

I'm running into a wall with finding a place to meet. A lot of the places (restaurants mostly) are saying it would violate their liquor license to bring in outside alcohol for consumption. Has anyone else run into this and have any tips on how to deal with it? I think the place we typically meet is just letting us bring in stuff at risk of their license (which doesn't make sense since it's a shop that exclusively sells alcoholic beverages). However we're growing and looking for a new venue, thus the wall.

For reference, this is in Missouri.

Thanks.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Prefect Six posted:

I'm running into a wall with finding a place to meet.

Have you looked at renting a grange hall? Might be a little pricey but if your membership is large enough it could be feasible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Prefect Six posted:

I'm running into a wall with finding a place to meet. A lot of the places (restaurants mostly) are saying it would violate their liquor license to bring in outside alcohol for consumption. Has anyone else run into this and have any tips on how to deal with it? I think the place we typically meet is just letting us bring in stuff at risk of their license (which doesn't make sense since it's a shop that exclusively sells alcoholic beverages). However we're growing and looking for a new venue, thus the wall.

For reference, this is in Missouri.

Looks like missouri has a tasting license for $25/yr..

wikipedia:
alcohol laws of missouri
led me to this page:
missouri liquor control law

e: theres also stuff about microbrewing in these laws:

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3110000195.HTM

mewse fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 28, 2011

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

^^ nice

My club meets in local breweries and bars with no issues, but then again I'm in Colorado where you can do pretty much anything with homebrew except sell it. It's probably worth researching your state and local regulations so you know if it really is illegal to meet or if they just don't want the hassle of hosting your club.

If all else fails you could have members host meetings in their homes?

mewse
May 2, 2006

honestly it might be easiest if you could get a hold of missouri's "supervisor of alcohol and tobacco control" office, tell them you are a homebrew club and you want to stay legal, and ask where you are allowed to meet. cheaper than hiring a lawyer anyways

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Mewse - this is awesome, you are awesome.

Kept calling around and one place said since they let people bring in wine and pay a corking fee, they'd be on OK with bringing in beer (but they're not charging us). I will follow up with whomever is the 'supervisor' and try to make sure.

Thanks!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

So, bottling/conditioning my black IPA tonight, but I can't get a straight answer on conditioning... The dude at the brew shop said 1oz of sucrose per gallon of beer, but the book linked in the OP puts it at about 2-2.5oz for my slightly-less-than 5gal brew.

For reference the bucket will be in an area about 65 degrees and should be 4.5-4.75gal.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Speaking of Homebrew clubs, I'm planning on going to my first one this weekend. If you are a goon in Maine (Portland area) and just don't post in this thread - please give me the "Stairs" so I know you are out there.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

So, bottling/conditioning my black IPA tonight, but I can't get a straight answer on conditioning... The dude at the brew shop said 1oz of sucrose per gallon of beer, but the book linked in the OP puts it at about 2-2.5oz for my slightly-less-than 5gal brew.

For reference the bucket will be in an area about 65 degrees and should be 4.5-4.75gal.

It depends on how high of a carb level you want. 2oz for 5 gallons seems really low to me. Ounce per gallon seems more reasonable.

I just use beersmith to figure it out, but this website seems pretty cool:
http://www.byo.com/resources/carbonation

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

Based on 2.0 units of CO2 for the IPA style, 4.6 gallons of beer using corn sugar to bottle prime calls for 2.7 ounces. Dissolve that in a few cups of boiling water and put it in your sanitized bottling bucket first, rack the beer into the bucket on the priming sugar, then bottle.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I just keep having awesome luck. A friend of a friend just gave me 3 full size sanke kegs :v:

I'm up to 7 kegs now. It's pretty silly.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the resources guys- I figured it out on my own, so I should be swimming in black IPA come Dec. 21. Final ABV will be around 8.5%; Fuckin' retarded efficiency.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Just kegged my first lager, a triple decoction vienna il serpente turned me on to before he disappeared.

It's so clear and deliciously malty :3:

j3rkstore fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 29, 2011

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Hypnolobster posted:

I just keep having awesome luck. A friend of a friend just gave me 3 full size sanke kegs :v:

I'm up to 7 kegs now. It's pretty silly.

Can I have one?

Failing that, anyone know of any good brew kettles sales going on?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Toebone posted:

Can I have one?

Failing that, anyone know of any good brew kettles sales going on?

No!
They are mine!
I think I'm actually going to convert them and throw together another simple 3 burner brewstand and sell them all together.

I finally think I'm running out of excuses and it's time to make a pot still with the remaining one, though. :banjo:
On that note, has anybody ever really talked about distilling in here? Legality issues aside, I know I've seen some pretty horrifying setups posted in the bachelor thread in A/T.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Hypnolobster posted:

No!
They are mine!
I think I'm actually going to convert them and throw together another simple 3 burner brewstand and sell them all together.

I finally think I'm running out of excuses and it's time to make a pot still with the remaining one, though. :banjo:
On that note, has anybody ever really talked about distilling in here? Legality issues aside, I know I've seen some pretty horrifying setups posted in the bachelor thread in A/T.

What an amazing art project let's discuss this thoroughly.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Doing my first brew this month that's not a mr. beer with some borrowed equipment. Also, I have fucktons of pumpkin left.

Anyone have any good recepies for pumpkin spice ale?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What an amazing art project let's discuss this thoroughly.

Everybody likes copper, right?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I once stuck my head into a homebrew shop in New Zealand. "hey, what's this contraption, with all the pipes and valves? This doesn't look like a brew stand... oh my...."

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

No!
They are mine!

What state do you live in? (give me ur brewstands)

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Is there a limit for how long I can have a yeast starter hanging out in the fridge?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'd say 4-5 weeks before you want to decant and feed it again to revitalize them/keep them healthy.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
I'm currently building a brew stand and have the frame built. Now I would like to start getting the burners attached. The plan is for 3 burners, but I'm not exactly sure what I need to purchase in terms of regulators, etc. The plan is to use 3 of the 10in high pressure cast iron burners.

I might be over thinking this, but if each burner can take 30psi do I need a regulator on the tank that will take 90psi? then 3 30psi regulators, 1 for each burner? Or do I just need 1 30psi regulator and ball valves...

I'm starting to confuse myself.

I would be forever grateful if someone would throw up a simple diagram for plumbing a 3 burner stand.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

BerkerkLurk posted:

Yeah I read it only has pale (pils?) and vienna in Brew Like A Monk, I just have a hard time believing it. The Belgian beer cafe in town has it on tap and I remember it being a really deep garnet color, which I've never got close to even with 100% Vienna malt bills.

Is that yeast out again? That's fantastic. I'll have to do one up right this time. A decoction with all Vienna sounds tasty as hell, but I'm not sure which way I'm going to go yet.
Yeah mine is very pale, and even when I've done 100% vienna beers they are at darkest like a pumpkin orange. Certainly doesn't look anything like this:

But like you said BLAM and also Michael Jackson site it as being and all malt blend of pils and vienna with Saaz hops being used exclusively. I really don't care about the color though, because I'm not trying to clone it, just make a really delicious beer which this is.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

drewhead posted:

In unrelated news I just tapped the cider I naturally fermented from last year. Nov 20th last year I purchased 12 Gallons of Stayman Winesap pressed cider from a local orchard at a LHBS sponsored "cider day". Half I pitched S-04 into and half I put an air lock on and left in the corner of the basement for a year. I did dump about 2# of honey in after about a month and racked once in the Feb/March time frame. Other that that it sat. The natural fermented down all the way to 0.996. I thought cider I made with champagne yeast was dry, this stuff is all new kinds of dry. It's quite good, has real apple flavor and more importantly a pronounced apple aroma. But it's so dry it's hard to get more than a pint down. I'm considering back sweetening a bit, but it's also a 9.9% ABV so I'm not sure I need to promote having more than one pint. Maybe I'll just make a simple sugar for parties and stick it in a squirt bottle on top of the kegerator. I do think the natural ferment produced a cleaner cider that IMO has better flavors than the same stuff I pitched yeast.

I just put together my first few batches of cider this season, and while researching I came across this page of cider yeast comparisons. The short version is the wild yeast scored highest, but may not be consistent from year to year or location. I went with L1118 for all of mine.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Jacobey000 posted:

What state do you live in? (give me ur brewstands)

Ohio. I keep planning on making more brewstands to sell, but I'm too broke to afford the steel in the first place :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Trying to price up things on a budget in the UK is difficult with turkey fryers kind of hard to find. I've found 10 gallon stew pots from France for about 50 euros, shipped, but where can I find a gas burner I can use outside that will boil 7 or 8 gallons of water?

(about to try my first extract brew this weekend, but just seeing how much it will cost to try and go all grain with a 1-burner setup)

e: try as in drink!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 30, 2011