Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

What is it with sisters?

Fellow goon Stabbinhobo's sister was driving his car while he was away at college. When he came home on break, he noticed that the oil light was on, and asked her how long it had been that way.

"Ohh, that's what it was. I was trying to figure out what the little magic genie lamp meant"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Geirskogul posted:

First car: 1995 Geo Metro sedan (manual). Death: burned out the clutch going up a grade, crashed into a ditch backwards. Aftermath: My dad took the steering wheel,

Of all the possible parts, the steering wheel was the one he decided to save? Was it the airbag?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

JD Brickmeister posted:

Of all the possible parts, the steering wheel was the one he decided to save? Was it the airbag?

I think he means his dad drove while he pushed.

Skyssx posted:

oil pressure needle was bouncing between 0 and normal at a stop on a slight incline. Knowing his Ranger had a 7 PSI switch, I knew he either had no oil, or the switch was on the fritz.

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKK MY RANGER DOES THIS! (but only when it's cold and there is certainly plenty of oil in her)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKK MY RANGER DOES THIS! (but only when it's cold and there is certainly plenty of oil in her)

If it were a pressure problem it would me much more likely to happen when it is hot. Fortunately for you that sounds like an electrical issue with the gauge, sender, or wiring.

Getting a manual pressure tester on there is probably in order, just in case it actually is a pressure issue.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
Somewhat related to the tire explosion horror earlier in the thread - I had a balljoint explode on me once. I was blowing out the balljoint pins on a W-body subframe that I had, using an acetylene torch instead of using a drill like a smart person. I superheated the grease by lingering too long and BOOM. Literally the loudest noise I've ever heard. I lost all hearing and staggered around, completely dazed. My dad came out of the office, initially assuming I was dead.

The balljoint had actually flown 24 feet up into the air and dented the metal ceiling in a good 2" deep. So yeah, balljoints can kill you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Brigdh posted:

18ft/lbs? I'm hoping that's some kind of typo, or your friend is sick with some kind of muscle degeneration because that's not a lot of force

What Sponge! said. It was 18ft/lbs at 90 degrees 3 times. A head in a junkyard has usually been ran for a long time, and by god, those fuckers were on tight. They squalled coming off.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rscott posted:

We still make parts for 757s

757s are just not manufactured new. Hundreds are still flown every day, and there's presumably still money in keeping them flying until AA and DL get their 737-900ER/A321neo orders filled.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm
On the subject of tires:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no5VqlgsAI0
Sebastian Vettel talks about how he got to see Lewis Hamilton win the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on TV.

But it's okay, Uncle Bernie's there to console him.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

More sister stuff

I guess I'm my own sister, because my first car died because I uh... um... never changed the oil. And I almost killed this one by driving on a bad rear wheel bearing (on an AWD car no less) for the past 5 years, and... errr... also never changing the oil.

Thank God I got interested in cars again, because otherwise I'd have ended up on a third car, which would have... never gotten the oil changed either.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I didn't change the oil in one of mine for over 30k miles.

The oil was perfectly clear when it came out. Probably because the seals on that motor leaked like a god drat sieve and I had to fill it at least weekly to avoid it running dry. It did run dry for at least 100 miles over the course of a year though, because occasionally I would forget to fill it and would run out without any spare oil on hand.

Jeep 4.0L motors are made of pure unobtainium. drat thing just laughed and kept going, lifters rattling horribly... I swear the only way to actually kill one is to drown it. I've put something like 5k on the one in my other jeep with the head gasket completely blown between cylinders 3 and 4. Another of my 4.0s has seen thousands of miles of commuting with a tube sock zip tied over the intake hose as an air filter. I bought it from a friend like that, and installed a real filter, but I'm still running the oil it came with.

All these motors still run perfectly (well, aside from the one with the chunk of missing head gasket... and I drove that one to the airport today) without a single tick or odd sound and perfect oil pressure.

If you want to be able to brutally abuse a vehicle in ways that should never be done, and still not have to replace any major components, buy a jeep with an inline 4 or inline 6.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

rscott posted:

We still make parts for 757s

I should loving well hope so, production didn't end until 7 years ago.

I flew on a goddamned DC-9 today. I hope someone still makes parts for that thing. Christ, Delta, I'm surprised you're still not flying people around with piston engines.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I didn't realize the top shelf of my fridge got this cold. Or that the can would deform that much before it finally failed, normally they pop along the side before anything else happens.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Phanatic posted:

I flew on a goddamned DC-9 today. I hope someone still makes parts for that thing. Christ, Delta, I'm surprised you're still not flying people around with piston engines.

Delta operates those DC-9-40s and -50s under the theory that you might as well fly a plane you own outright until the maintenance and excess fuel costs exceed the lease/purchase cost of a new plane. They update the interiors often enough that your average airline passenger probably has no idea that they're on a 40+ year old plane unless they take the time to notice that the cockpit is filled with mechanical gauges.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that Delta would fly people around with ancient piston planes if they thought it would save money.

Theris fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 29, 2011

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Mr. Despair posted:

I didn't realize the top shelf of my fridge got this cold. Or that the can would deform that much before it finally failed, normally they pop along the side before anything else happens.

Cool... is that the 4 or the 6 cylinder?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Mr. Despair posted:

Freeze plugs are SUPPOSED to do that. It's not a mechanical failure at all.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sigtrap posted:

Cool... is that the 4 or the 6 cylinder?

Dont often see 4 packs so I'm going with 6

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Motronic posted:

If it were a pressure problem it would me much more likely to happen when it is hot. Fortunately for you that sounds like an electrical issue with the gauge, sender, or wiring.

Getting a manual pressure tester on there is probably in order, just in case it actually is a pressure issue.

I mean only when it's below 35ºF outside. I'm sure it's an electrical issue.

This post :feelsgood:. How's that hellaflush working out for you?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How's that hellaflush working out for you?

Hellarub style. Or converted to FWD and did a massive burnout.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean only when it's below 35ºF outside. I'm sure it's an electrical issue.

This post :feelsgood:. How's that hellaflush working out for you?

:stare:

I'm not sure what would have caused the front tire to fail, but based on the rear one I'd imagine the underlying cause had something to do with being stretched over a rim that was two inches too large. That's some Spanish Inquisition-style torture right there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
BUT ITS SO HELLA STRETCH MANNNNNNNNNN

god I hate that. Put the right loving tires on your car and the bead will stay seated.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rujo King posted:

:stare:

I'm not sure what would have caused the front tire to fail, but based on the rear one I'd imagine the underlying cause had something to do with being stretched over a rim that was two inches too large. That's some Spanish Inquisition-style torture right there.

I'm accounting for the stupid tires. The stretch and poke is what makes it HELLAflush.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kastein posted:

god I hate that. Put the right loving tires on your car and the bead will stay seated.

My bet would be on sidewall failure, that seems to be how those tires die if they are actually driven anywhere:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CaptBubba posted:

My bet would be on sidewall failure, that seems to be how those tires die if they are actually driven anywhere

And not, of course, the gigantic caved in spot where it would bend if say clipping an especially deep pothole or other solid impact.

Timbo
Jun 18, 2005

He was just another drifter who broke the law!
Question,

Wouldn't streching your tires on rims like that cause the bead to leak air (or nitrogen if that's your flavor) any time you hit or jossel the tire. Therefore adding more stress to the tire by being under inflated.

But hey ....... HELLAFLUSH is HELLACOOL

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

And not, of course, the gigantic caved in spot where it would bend if say clipping an especially deep pothole or other solid impact.

Totally discounted that likelihood because in my head I thought "how would a pothole cause that much damage when the tire would be there to absorb the impact?" and instead thought the car falling on the rim after failure caused it. My brain just refused to consider that anyone would so utterly break one of the best things about the pneumatic tire.

rednocare
May 1, 2011

Not so stupid now.

Another CV bites the dust. My CV. :(

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010
My money is on the green 350Z guy curbing the car. The shape of that dent is a little too familiar.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Timbo posted:

Wouldn't streching your tires on rims like that cause the bead to leak air (or nitrogen if that's your flavor)

Slight derail:

Filling your tires with nitrogen seems like bullshit to me - air is already 79% nitrogen (with 20% oxy, and trace amounts of others) so do tires REALLY perform better or stay inflated longer with 100% Nitrogen?

Has anyone tried helium to save a few grams? Or neon because the molecular structure alters the "feel" of the tire? Sure, I'm joking on those last two, but from a logical perspective I could probably make an argument that people would buy.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I could see some benefit to filling your tires with pure nitrogen if the alternative was like 100% humidity swampy salt air on unpainted steel wheels. Otherwise, doesn't matter.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Helium would probably leak through tires in short order. Much smaller molecule (atom, in this case.)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Timbo posted:

Wouldn't streching your tires on rims like that cause the bead to leak air (or nitrogen if that's your flavor) any time you hit or jossel the tire.

No and I've burped the bead multiple times on tires that 'fit' correctly... actually, I have to add more often to my 'correct' fitting 245/45 tires on my 8.5" front wheels, never had to add to my 'stretched' rears that are 245/45 on 9.5" wheels.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
And my brothers Daewoo was running great, right up until I parked it at Les Schwab for the night. I go in to leave the car there for tomorrows alignment, and when I get back out a giant coolant puddle is under the car and down to the drain. :suicide:

If it's the water pump I am going to be PISSED. This car hates me.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
a) 350z guy clearly slid into a curb
b) Nitrogen-filling tires isn't to get the oxygen out, it's just to keep it free of water. Pumping in atmospheric air puts a good deal of water in the tire, which will change the tire pressure greatly as it vaporizes and condense.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

the poi posted:

b) Nitrogen-filling tires isn't to get the oxygen out, it's just to keep it free of water. Pumping in atmospheric air puts a good deal of water in the tire, which will change the tire pressure greatly as it vaporizes and condense.

This is what my tyre shop told me when they put in nitrogen my tyres without asking me. I didn't end up paying for it but they wanted six dollars a tyre for the gas.

We normally have 85%+ humidty though.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

The website for the Get Nitrogen Institute mentions all sorts of reasons for pumping your tire up with N2 but the main one they're on about is leakage, though they also bring up oxidation and rust.

They have a calculator on the front page that's supposed to tell you how much you'd save per year on gas and tires by using nitrogen, but I don't think they include the actual cost of tire filling itself in that, which at $6.00 a wheel isn't exactly negligible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rujo King posted:

The website for the Get Nitrogen Institute mentions all sorts of reasons for pumping your tire up with N2 but the main one they're on about is leakage, though they also bring up oxidation and rust.

They have a calculator on the front page that's supposed to tell you how much you'd save per year on gas and tires by using nitrogen, but I don't think they include the actual cost of tire filling itself in that, which at $6.00 a wheel isn't exactly negligible.

It's also completely irrelevant for anything other than high-end racing series.

Tires, wheels, valves etc. have been designed and built for more than a century to handle atmospheric air and normal moisture levels. The only reason to use nitrogen is to have slightly more predictable pressure fluctuation due to temperature. Or if you live in a swamp and your pump doesn't have a functioning moisture trap, I guess.

Think about it, even if you fill your tires with fancy non-reactive nitrogen, the outside of the tire is made from the same rubber and is constantly exposed to atmospheric air and UV light. They will dry rot and crack long before the insides are harmed to any measurable degree by the oxygen in the air inside them.

I have never seen the inside of a tire or wheel have any noticeable corrosion or damage due to moisture or oxygen, but I have seen plenty of tires that were cracked and dry rotted on the outside, yet looked completely pristine on the inside. As well as steel wheels being covered in rust on the outside from road salt and damage, yet smooth as they day they were made on the inside.

Nitrogen in tires is a gigantic scam unless you're in a high-end racing series.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I meant to take a picture of this but didn't have a chance. Saw a 2000ish Lexus bust a front driver's side CV joint (I think) while doing about 55 MPH on a freeway. It was rather spectacular and resulted in the wheel rotating 90 degrees back into the wheelwell and had a super long skidmark.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 30, 2011

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A broken CV joint would just result in the car coasting to the side of the road, possibly with chunks of the joint or bearings hitting the road.

That would be either a tie rod failure or ball joint failure.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah that sounds more like a control arm failure to me.

some texas redneck posted:

A broken CV joint would just result in the car coasting to the side of the road, possibly with chunks of the joint or bearings hitting the road.

That would be either a tie rod failure or ball joint failure.

^^^Or more likely that.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Ah gotcha. I just figured it was the CV joint since it was gone. Going to guess it was the ball joint because the entire hub assembly was gone from the arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A few years ago a neighbor of mine destroyed the balljoint on his Mazda 929 leaving our alley, so for a few hours we got to see it blocking the entrance to our alley with a crude handwritten sign saying "CAR SICK :( DO NOT MOVE" until the police forced him to summon a tow truck and take it to Canadian Tire.

It had some amazing demon camber on that left front wheel though.