Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Iunnrais posted:

Did the IP address change? You say you started it, and yet it still says offline for me...

I said I can start it. :colbert:

(It's up now.)

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Elukka posted:

I'm not so sure about that. There's been a thriving community drawing sprites for the game for years and half the appeal of all the grfs is that they look good. And a really good argument for changing engines is the current one is amazingly inefficient because it's all software rendering. This is a fairly simple 2D game that, in some cases, modern computers have problems running.

Most of the problems with game performance is due to pathfinding objects and pushing objects and not so much due to drawing code, there have been a few people suggesting it and if you search for it you can see a few of the attempts, they're mostly not put in because the devs say it doesn't add that much to performance and it's a lot more code that has to be rewritten on all platforms if they go that way not to mention SDL is apparently hardware accelerated for blitting anyway.

I mean it's nice to speculate about what they should do (god drat underground subway tunnels and poo poo) but this game has been developed for 7 years by a group of odd european fellows for free in their spare time, the only people who really have the knowledge and drive to do something like totally rewrite the game have no desire to completely rewrite parts of the game that they don't really see as necessary.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
There's already been a whole bunch of remake attempts over the years (even 3d ones) but they all invariably die or get outshined by OpenTTD anyways. OpenTTD has the advantage of being finished, working like the original, and having a community built up over the years that keeps modding and keeping it alive. The disadvantage is the interface has grown rather bulky and awkward to use, the codebase is an absolute mess given it was originally reverse-engineered from TTD, and the developers are fairly hostile to outside development.

Creating a new simplified or different version probably wouldn't do any good, plenty of transport simulators have tried that and failed. Simutrans and Chris Sawyer's Locomotion had some cool ideas, but in the end people just wanna go back to the classic gameplay.

Elukka posted:

I'm not so sure about that. There's been a thriving community drawing sprites for the game for years and half the appeal of all the grfs is that they look good. And a really good argument for changing engines is the current one is amazingly inefficient because it's all software rendering. This is a fairly simple 2D game that, in some cases, modern computers have problems running.
The problem isn't so much graphical as it is processoral. There's a reason the original game had so many limits and simplified pathfinding, and even Locomotion got slow despite being a 256-color game running on 2004 computers. Handling hundreds or thousands of simultaneous vehicles all with really advanced pathfinding and physics and dozens of industry simulations and what not are always gonna be a CPU hog, specially with OpenTTD's removal of limits. Although I hear the graphical engine ain't that great either.

piratepilates posted:

Most of the problems with game performance is due to pathfinding objects and pushing objects and not so much due to drawing code, there have been a few people suggesting it and if you search for it you can see a few of the attempts, they're mostly not put in because the devs say it doesn't add that much to performance and it's a lot more code that has to be rewritten on all platforms if they go that way not to mention SDL is apparently hardware accelerated for blitting anyway.
Actually SDL's blitting is pretty poo poo and most developers use OpenGL directly.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

That 3d one up there is a nice effort, but it still looks kinda janky and unappealing. I'm all for supporting the community so building things in such a way that it would be easy to add new things would be paramount to getting that thriving community support.

Dont want to play devils advocate here but changing the ggame a little to provide new interest isn't always a bad thing. TFC -> TF2 brought in old players who basically nay-sayed from day one until they tried it and found it better than their old habits. Sometimes the rose glasses affects us a little too much from stepping into new territory.

I love TTD, but most f the time I'm playing it all I can think is "this could be better, it could be amazing".

Sure it'd be a bit hard to get everything up and running, but I'm pretty sure in a new engine we wouldn't have to spend literally stupid amount of times to code in support just to be able to say "Can now build a track on top of a tunnel tile". New trains would literally consist of a model and a text metadata file pointing at a few media files and full of stats.

I'm just thinking that the open project time is ultimately a big fat inefficient waste of time no matter if they manage to bring in new features ever few months.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

TF2 is a bad comparison just because it's a completely different genre, people not interested in games like this probably wont ever be interested in them. A better comparison would probably be Sim City to Cities XL, if you want to improve the graphics to a game like this you have to maintain some a level of simulation to it that wont cause the players looking for that to just go back to OpenTTD.

I personally feel 3D graphics for a game like this could work and be phenomenal, but it needs to have improved gameplay elements as well. This is where the Cities XL people are stuck. It's just incredibly shallow by comparison to Sim City. This could be rose-tinted glasses but for a city simulator not having proper traffic simulation in it is a waste of time.

I know nothing about engine creation, the only programming I've ever done is scripting but I've been trying to learn more. I'm not sure how well an engine like CryEngine or Unreal would work for a game like this where it's priorities are elsewhere. It really seems like something you'd have to make from the ground up which would add a lot of development time. An indie studio could do it but funding something like that would be difficult unless they basically worked on it in their free time and then it would take even longer to get it to a completed stage.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah, Agreed for the most part.

However the TF2 comparison wasn't because of the genre, it was more about how people are unwilling to leave their horribly unbalanced game because they can't see it right in front of them (I did this too for some extent). Not to say TTD is imbalanced, but the idea is that people shouldn't be so reluctant to not try out a new version of something they've dug into. THis is how growing a new fanbase helps; the new fanbase is instilled, they tell the oldschoolers that it isn't actually bad, it's pretty fun in new ways and since they are usually friends they coax them into the new game.

The problem with the simcity and cities XL comparison is that there's a LOT of work that was done in cities XL graphics wise, code wise so there wasn't much time it seems to get greather depth into it. I can see all these fancy spline drawing tools and then you've got to make algorithmns to sort out junctions and just lots and lots of things that could be simplified.

I've got an idea in the back of my head, it seems like I was able to get some folk interested in it as well. I bring it up as it may be something I do in the future.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Don't get me wrong, I agree, I think there's a lot more that could be done with the TT concept, but it tends to fall under the "X-Com effect" where everytime someone tries to remake it better it just ends up worse, or the fanbase just has an oldschool hardon for the original or it'll be ruined forever, etc. :v:

Personally I would love to see a Chris Sawyer's Locomotion 2. While the game oversimplified some stuff (no depots), it added some great stuff from the RCT engine (which was originally designed for a TT2 anyways) which really added to the gameplay, like the new railway building system which allowed much more flexible designs with underground and slope support, pseudo-3D graphics which made the vehicles look a lot more realistic and fluid, rotatable map (so I don't have to keep making everything transparent :argh:), more advanced terrain manipulation and generation which looked a lot nicer, dynamic missions and goals, etc.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

If I had more confidence in my programming ability I'd even be interested in something like that. I'm more interested in the simulation side of it, as you said, plotting paths and junctions. Are you planning on using an established engine?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Unity. However my hands are full for the time being. As I said, it's something to look at for the future.

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?
Chez, trains!

Anyone from the last thread will remember my openGRF set, well here is an archive containing all those wonderful GRF's as well as an openTTD.cfg with a 'Persh' preset that will automatically order them correctly for you.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Started poking around with this after seeing the Yogscast that went up today with it. I had never touched this before, every time I saw "OpenTTD" I thought it was some sort of tower defense thing and ignored it.

So far it seems to me that boats are the way to go? Trains are so fiddly, and I seem to make money at about the same rate with boats, but there is less need for all the weird train stuff.

Also, do airplanes ever not crash? Even looking at the wiki seems to imply they are only really good for crashing.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chainclaw posted:

So far it seems to me that boats are the way to go? Trains are so fiddly, and I seem to make money at about the same rate with boats, but there is less need for all the weird train stuff.

Also, do airplanes ever not crash? Even looking at the wiki seems to imply they are only really good for crashing.

1. Building spergy train networks is the best part of the game.

2. Airplanes aren't normally really crashy, but the version we use (and posted in the OP) has a bug where planes crash like 75% of the time unless crashes are disabled.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Chainclaw posted:

Started poking around with this after seeing the Yogscast that went up today with it. I had never touched this before, every time I saw "OpenTTD" I thought it was some sort of tower defense thing and ignored it.

Boats are easy if you just want a little income stream to learn how to play the game, but they almost always make far less than proper train lines on the same routes, and if you're playing on a multiplayer server, running lots of boats long distances will kill the server because of the frequent recalculation of optimal routes. (Note in those videos that none of the players ever got around to setting up efficiently-running train lines, with Lewis still unknowingly having a platform in one of his train stations that trains couldn't get to, as did Lalna -- inside a prsignal section at that -- which is what was leading to his recurring station jam and ultimately that crash.)

Basically, the game should probably be called "Train Tycoon with Other Transportation Modes to Sometimes Carry Train Freight That Last Little Distance From Station to Destination" but that's not nearly as catchy.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

less than three posted:

1. Building spergy train networks is the best part of the game.

2. Airplanes aren't normally really crashy, but the version we use (and posted in the OP) has a bug where planes crash like 75% of the time unless crashes are disabled.

Also, if you're playing with the stable release, you need to make sure that your aircraft has a large enough landing strip. Using jets on the starting airport will result in a crash like 95% of the time even with the stable release (ours has that bug <3 mentioned).

Outside of that though, jets make mad cash, and are one of the preferred ways to generate a fuckton of money early in the game. Just pick two large metropolitan areas on the opposite sides of the map and move passengers back and forth, you'll rake in the dough so you can make spergtrains.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The last time I trainsperged with goons they all cheated and only made tracks between places instead of running all trains on one single massive spergrail network. Has that changed?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I also found this from the YOGs video and I enjoy these kinds of games immensely. I've started to play but one question, why are the graphics so different (shittier) then the ones on the wiki?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I kind of ignored this thread for a long time because transportation sounds like the most boring thing ever, but Yogs actually made it look fun. Also, I had no idea there was competitive multiplayer. I think I'll give it a go!

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Garfu posted:

I also found this from the YOGs video and I enjoy these kinds of games immensely. I've started to play but one question, why are the graphics so different (shittier) then the ones on the wiki?

The game is reverse engineered from the orginal game, you can still use the old art and sound files from it. The yogs guys were doing just that. The base game is good, but the newgrfs (think mods) really make the game.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

SwimNurd posted:

The game is reverse engineered from the orginal game, you can still use the old art and sound files from it. The yogs guys were doing just that. The base game is good, but the newgrfs (think mods) really make the game.

Any way I can go about getting the old graphics and music and stuff? That'd be pretty great. The old music especially.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Garfu posted:

It looked like they were using the (unfinished) 32bit graphics set, and no other custom graphics besides. (Which is a shame, because the custom graphics are what really makes this game.)

EDIT: beaten.

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009
Is there a mac version of your modified client floating around?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I downloaded the archive from the OP which has the lower pixel graphics, is there an easy way to get the old graphics that are better while keeping everything else about the archive linked in the OP the same?

edit: from what I've read it sounds like if I download a sprite pack it will overwrite the 'newgrf' and thus overwrite a bunch of the changes from the SA version? I don't actually know what all this means since this is my first time playing this but does that sound right?

nevermind all that, but I applied the 32bit sprites in the newgrf gui and nothing changed. Any suggestions?

Garfu fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 6, 2011

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

PalmTreeFun posted:

Any way I can go about getting the old graphics and music and stuff? That'd be pretty great. The old music especially.

:filez: But the base free graphics for the game are close enough to the original.

pmMike posted:

Is there a mac version of your modified client floating around?

Sadly we can't statically link it, but has easy build instructions if you use macports.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

To clarify, there are three primary graphic sets for OpenTTD:

- Original TTD

OpenTTD is based off the commercial Transport Tycoon Deluxe game which uses these graphics. However they are copyrighted :filez: so you need a copy of the original game to use them. You can also get the original music and sound effects from it. You can install them through the game installer or following the instructions in the README.

- OpenGFX

These are free fan-created graphics. Similarly, there's also OpenSFX for OpenMSX for free fan-created audio. You can install them through the game installer or the ingame Check Online Content option (if they're not already included).

- 32bpp

These are high-resolution fan-created graphics. They look the nicest but are incomplete and unofficial, usually requiring special builds to enable extra features like extra zooms and alpha blending. You can read all about it here.

You can select which installed graphic set you wanna use in the Game Options and can usually use them with whatever mods and versions you want without interference, since it's just a cosmetic change. However you can't change graphic sets within a game.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 7, 2011

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

edit: welp I figured out how to get the old graphics working (they are available for download from the official TTD site so I don't see how that's filez) but still haven't figured out the 32bpp one..

\/\/ OK that's what I figured, time to stop 'spergin about graphics and starting training.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 7, 2011

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

The 32bpp graphics are unofficial so there's no actual "option" to select them, you have to select OpenGFX and if the 32bpp files are in place they will show up instead. The version in the OP should have them but it's a bit fidgety, so you can also try installing them yourself. There's also some extra graphics you can turn on in the NewGRF settings.

Edit: Just because they don't mind linking the original files doesn't make it ok to link them here.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 7, 2011

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009

SwimNurd posted:

Sadly we can't statically link it, but has easy build instructions if you use macports.

Sorry for sounding like a bit of a dumbass, but what does that involve and where are the instructions?

i'm a dumbass

pmMike fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 7, 2011

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

pmMike posted:

Sorry for sounding like a bit of a dumbass, but what does that involve and where are the instructions?

i'm a dumbass

A lot of terminalfu and time. Basically the version of the game that the goons play, cannot be compiled in a way that we can easily distribute it. So to get it to run on your system you will have to build the game yourself, including the dependencies. You will have to patch the source code with the changes we are using. Then follow these instructions: http://wiki.openttd.org/Compiling_on_Mac

I would NOT recommend using homebrew or fink to compile the dependencies.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Has the IP address changed? It says the server is offline for me.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
So this CargoDist thing sounds pretty interesting but I was wondering where to download it and how it works. is it just like any other newGRF? or is it a totally separate mod for the game or something?

Does it work for multiplayer as well?

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Is there anyway to turn off the loving alien. I'm chilling with my horrible reproduction of Europe and 79M+ company when the little bastards decide to gently caress with my railway. I tried turning off disasters but that didn't stop them.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dotcom656 posted:

So this CargoDist thing sounds pretty interesting but I was wondering where to download it and how it works. is it just like any other newGRF? or is it a totally separate mod for the game or something?

Does it work for multiplayer as well?

There's a link in the OP to download it.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
LessThanThree, is the server down or something?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dred_furst posted:

LessThanThree, is the server down or something?

Yes. I brought it up for a few days and nobody was playing on it. I can turn it back on in a few hours.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

If it's on, does it have a different IP address then the one in the OP?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Apocadall posted:

If it's on, does it have a different IP address then the one in the OP?

I've turned it on now.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

In twenty days it will be four years since I last played this game... that's far too long.

less than three posted:

I've turned it on now.

I love you man.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
So I've made a 32000x32000 world with high towns and industries. It's generating 50,000 towns and It's been at it for 5 minutes so far. I don't even know how many industries it's going to make.

No wonder the numbers turn red when you select those sizes. It's warning you not to loving do it!

EDIT: It finished generating towns after 25 minutes. Now its generating another 83,000 industries and its chugging like hell.

Dotcom656 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 9, 2011

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dotcom656 posted:

So I've made a 32000x32000 world with high towns and industries. It's generating 50,000 towns and It's been at it for 5 minutes so far. I don't even know how many industries it's going to make.

No wonder the numbers turn red when you select those sizes. It's warning you not to loving do it!

EDIT: It finished generating towns after 25 minutes. Now its generating another 83,000 industries and its chugging like hell.

Sperg on brave sir, sperg on. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
What is the deal with airports and airplanes?

Just played a game with a couple of pals and we all tried setting up airplane routes, using City airports. And ended up with something like a 95% crash rate on the suckers. I tried different methods of routing the planes, leveling all the terrain around the airport, all the different planes, and despite all my efforts and research, nothing could stem the inevitable tide of tangled metal and death into each one of our airports. Even tried cracking out Small airports, and still every single plane would crash and burn.

There has to be some vital step we all missed, but there is precious little that a player can gently caress around with when it comes to mastering flight.

• Locked thread