Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

LightningKimba posted:

I actually never hated any of the P4 cast at all, rather, I find it a little weird to hate on anyone. Yosuke's immature, sure, but he's also a Sophomore in his class, and in the beginning of the game, you'd know he isn't going to be the brightest bulb on the team. I found him pretty funny throughout the game, and not once wanted to kick him off, since even gameplay-wise, he was useful for his jack-of-all-trades skill list.

I do like the idea of Teddie being Yu's Shadow, it sounds like a funny twist, though by the end of it... Was it canon that Teddie's existence stems from people in general alone, and he developed his own ego? I read that SOMEwhere, but I don't know if it were factual information or not.

I'm pretty sure at one of the conversations at Junes during the late game, Teddie says something to the extent of "I wonder if there's someone out there just like me. Except he's handsome and gets all the ladies." which seems to be a subtle nod to Ryoji. So he could possibly be Yu's Shadow/friendly herald of Izanami?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My problem is that there didn't seem to be a "Yosuke, stop being a cock" dialogue option. Also, even if you finish his character arc and evolve his persona and all that, the narrative format demands that he continues to be a cock. I just wish that solving your party member's issues would be better reflected in the main plot, but it's not really feasible with the way it's set out.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

YggiDee posted:

My problem is that there didn't seem to be a "Yosuke, stop being a cock" dialogue option.

This.

Alternately a renegade interrupt style "punch Yosuke" button. I really wanted one during the whole "let's sign the girls up for a beauty pageant against their will :iamafag:" part.

YggiDee posted:

Also, even if you finish his character arc and evolve his persona and all that, the narrative format demands that he continues to be a cock. I just wish that solving your party member's issues would be better reflected in the main plot, but it's not really feasible with the way it's set out.

Yeah, unfortunately this was one of the parts where P4 falls flat compared to the predecessor.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Schlegel Mach posted:

He made fun of Kanji a few times and got over it as the game went on. IIRC the tent scenario was the last time it was ever mentioned.

Though I never did the bro Christmas, which seems like a point where that would spring up again.

There was also the part with the topsicles! I kept Yosuke in my party because team BRO is the best party, but after I grinded a while at the end my final party was Kanji, Chie and Teddie, because they're the best characters.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

vilkacis posted:

This.

Alternately a renegade interrupt style "punch Yosuke" button. I really wanted one during the whole "let's sign the girls up for a beauty pageant against their will :iamafag:" part.

Yeah. I gotta say one of my favourite lines was "Ohh, I see what you're trying to say. "Please beat the poo poo out of me, Kanji!""

'Cause the dude was really asking for it. Yosuke can go eat a bag of dicks. He's a well written character, but he's a jerkass.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

vilkacis posted:

Then he has the nerve to get angry when the girls sign him up for the cross-dressing one in return.

I was with my bro Kanji on that one - suck it up Yosuke :dealwithit:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Spiffo posted:

Then he has the nerve to get angry when the girls sign him up for the cross-dressing one in return.

I was with my bro Kanji on that one - suck it up Yosuke :dealwithit:

I love that Kanji just rolls with it and does full on Marilyn Monroe garb, while Yosuke is still kind of a whiny bitch throughout and didn't even try to have fun with it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I decided to play Digital Devil Saga for the first time in forever and my god, this game is good. Like everything about it is just fantastic, the characters, the music, the gameplay, the character designs... leave something to be desired but the devil designs are pretty awesome. It sucks that this game is never getting an HD release because boy would I buy the crap out of that.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It sucks that this game is never getting an HD release because boy would I buy the crap out of that.

Pfft, we don't need no HD re-releases. :smug:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Atlus could just re-release DDS1 and 2 for the PS2 Classics program. In fact it'd probably be a lot easier than making an HD remake.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Policenaut posted:

Atlus could just re-release DDS1 and 2 for the PS2 Classics program. In fact it'd probably be a lot easier than making an HD remake.

I would be fine with this too.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The grinding and dungeon design killed DDS for me, thank christ for new game+ and even then I still have to deal with the lovely dungeons.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
SMT3 is the best SMT game, probably, but DDS2 is the craziest one, which I thoroughly enjoyed (also the best soundtrack)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I'd buy the crap out of an SMT PS2 Classics bundle. Please do this, Atlus.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So I decided to play Digital Devil Saga for the first time in forever and my god, this game is good. Like everything about it is just fantastic, the characters, the music, the gameplay, the character designs... leave something to be desired but the devil designs are pretty awesome. It sucks that this game is never getting an HD release because boy would I buy the crap out of that.

The music is by far the best part about the DDS games, but I also think the cel-shaded character designs are absolutely gorgeous in the cutscenes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I would pay absurd amounts of money to have Nocturne/DDS on the Vita. ...Or the 3DS, but that poo poo's not happening. I guess I just want every SMT game to be in portable form.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd like some new games.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like compilations of the "before nocturne / persona" games with first-ever translations, but yeah that ain't happening anytime soon.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Light Gun Man posted:

I'd like compilations of the "before nocturne / persona" games with first-ever translations, but yeah that ain't happening anytime soon.

I'm sure the PSP port of Devil Summoner 1 would have been localized if the port hadn't been programmed in a way that apparently made doing so literally impossible.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

gtrmp posted:

I'm sure the PSP port of Devil Summoner 1 would have been localized if the port hadn't been programmed in a way that apparently made doing so literally impossible.

I remember reading about that, and originally I just kinda took it in stride, but now I'm curious. How did they even manage that? How do you program a game in such a weird way that it can't be translated?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking more like a pack with Megami Tensei 1 and 2 along with Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2. Throw in If... as well. But then you get into "but which version" madness of course.

"Impossible to translate" is usually just publisher speak for "would cost too much for us to bother", so yeah if there is a legit specific reason for why it's a technical impossibility I'd be interested to hear it too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

King of Solomon posted:

I remember reading about that, and originally I just kinda took it in stride, but now I'm curious. How did they even manage that? How do you program a game in such a weird way that it can't be translated?

It's probably not impossible, but you start to get to the point where you need to literally modify the memory addresses of specific text to change single characters to letters. Plus there's the issue of monotype stuff and...

basically what the guy above said, it's simply not worth it. For fun, look up the process that the translators of Mother 3 went through.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Also the original Devil Summoner is a lovely game. And you know how in Persona 1 Portable, they at least took five minutes to update the interface for the PSP version? Yeah, they didn't do that for Devil Summoner.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Speaking of Devil Summoner, whatever happened to the fan translation of Soul Hackers? Is that still happening or did it get abandoned?

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

WrightOfWay posted:

Speaking of Devil Summoner, whatever happened to the fan translation of Soul Hackers? Is that still happening or did it get abandoned?

They're still working on it, the last update was in September.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The Soul Hackers translation is more or less the only SMT thing worth looking forward to at the moment, so i hope they finish it someday soon.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Technique posted:

The Soul Hackers translation is more or less the only SMT thing worth looking forward to at the moment

That entirely depends on whether or not Kanji's S.Link is fully voiced in P4 Vita.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Is there even any new SMT poo poo on the horizon that ISN'T related to Persona 4? :sigh:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

gtrmp posted:

That entirely depends on whether or not Kanji's S.Link is fully voiced in P4 Vita.

Persona 4 The Golden has "expanded spoken lines" so it's entirely possible that it will be.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Technique posted:

Is there even any new SMT poo poo on the horizon that ISN'T related to Persona 4? :sigh:

Devil Survivor 2's localization! :v:

v :tipshat:

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 30, 2011

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
^ :argh:

Technique posted:

Devil Survivor 2's coming out some time early next year, if that counts.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Too bad they keep using that really awful guy to design the characters for DS, because otherwise i'd be a lot more excited for it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neeksy posted:

Too bad they keep using that really awful guy to design the characters for DS, because otherwise i'd be a lot more excited for it.

That and it's set in a high school.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Technique posted:

Technically the Persona Magazine is also Persona 3-themed.

Neeksy posted:

C'mon, don't be like that.

Just look at them anime titties.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Those aren't tits. That girl has obviously stuffed balloons in her shirt in an attempt to float away and escape the demons.

Goddamn whoever looked at that design and gave the go-ahead is the worst.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

That and it's set in a high school.

And they put in a social link system.

Game's basically Persona 3.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

And you all wondered what "Persona 3DS" was back when Nintendo announced that big list of games for the 3DS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

And you all wondered what "Persona 3DS" was back when Nintendo announced that big list of games for the 3DS.

Devil Survivor 2 is a DS game though!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Schlegel Mach posted:

Those aren't tits. That girl has obviously stuffed balloons in her shirt in an attempt to float away and escape the demons.

Goddamn whoever looked at that design and gave the go-ahead is the worst.

And they put in a social link system.

Game's basically Persona 3.

They saw that they got a famous designer and didn't care. Seriously, the guy has done a lot of work and it's all pretty terrible in the exact same way.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's set in a high school? I thought it was like DS1 where you're basically running all over the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
The three main characters are high school students, and the game takes place all over the city. Only the first scene was actually in the high school, although I haven't finished the game so I don't know if you return to it. Regardless, most of the other characters are not in high school or even teenagers.