Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
So I reinstalled the game after buying all the DLC packs during the holiday sales and now I've got an annoying bug. Every time I start up the game the launcher comes up and promptly crashes. If I run the verify game cache thing in Steam it will fix it but the problem is it's literally every single time I start up the game I have to do that. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

CommunistMojo posted:

So I reinstalled the game after buying all the DLC packs during the holiday sales and now I've got an annoying bug. Every time I start up the game the launcher comes up and promptly crashes. If I run the verify game cache thing in Steam it will fix it but the problem is it's literally every single time I start up the game I have to do that. Any ideas?

Updating my video drivers fixed this problem for me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I found the best way around the problem to be to use the Fallout Mod Manager (FOMM), even if you're not using a lot of mods.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

redmercer posted:

"Come Fly With Me" was the quest that convinced me that FO:NV was a great game.

No kidding. It was about halfway through that quest that I realised that all these tasks I'd been given, tasks from the ghouls, the nightkin, the sniper, even the guy who pointed me in that direction in the first place with the promise of telling me where Benny had gone, I don't have to do ANY of their poo poo. If I wanted to I could blow each of these motherfuckers away and the game is going to let me carry on as if that was the correct solution all along.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

:c00l:

*insert joke about final F:NV patch*

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I want a special one with a label that says 'Gun Runner'. It's fitting.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

rope kid posted:

i get the feeling that isn't much of a joke

InfiniteNoodles
Jul 9, 2008
The stuttering issue I was having with energy weapons goes away when settings are at the absolute lowest, I just need to figure out specifically which setting controls energy weapon particle effects. Any ideas?

Edit: It's not a fix I'm particularly happy with, but it goes away with antialiasing off/turned down, even with all other options on high. At least energy weapons are useable.

InfiniteNoodles fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 29, 2011

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

rope kid posted:

Where's "friend" on the bottom of this? They don't like you, ropekid.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

rope kid posted:

I know people gush about it enough in this thread, but thanks for making my favorite game, rope kid.

I thought Skyrim would topple it, and Skyrim is indeed a big beautiful world that I can spend hours in, but how many playthroughs does it warrant? How many quests where I think to myself "Next time, I'll go this direction with it"? None, because even the quests with two different solutions just have a binary right-or-wrong duality, as far as I can tell. I must've sunk 250+ hours into New Vegas and I've still yet to see a good 1/4th of the content in the main game, let alone the DLCs. I haven't even taken the Dam for Caesar yet, for Christ's sake.

Is this that niggling 'no game will ever live up to this' mentality that old-school Fallout 1 & 2 fans constantly have to live with?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Wolfsheim posted:

I know people gush about it enough in this thread, but thanks for making my favorite game, rope kid.

I thought Skyrim would topple it, and Skyrim is indeed a big beautiful world that I can spend hours in, but how many playthroughs does it warrant? How many quests where I think to myself "Next time, I'll go this direction with it"? None, because even the quests with two different solutions just have a binary right-or-wrong duality, as far as I can tell. I must've sunk 250+ hours into New Vegas and I've still yet to see a good 1/4th of the content in the main game, let alone the DLCs. I haven't even taken the Dam for Caesar yet, for Christ's sake.

Is this that niggling 'no game will ever live up to this' mentality that old-school Fallout 1 & 2 fans constantly have to live with?

With New Vegas fresh in my mind, I've been reading up on some of Skyrim's quests, and the outcomes of those quests are usually two choices, neither of which I would necessarily agree with. That almost never happened in New Vegas, there was always an option to finish a quest that would agree with my character. I hadn't really appreciated that until now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Node posted:

With New Vegas fresh in my mind, I've been reading up on some of Skyrim's quests, and the outcomes of those quests are usually two choices, neither of which I would necessarily agree with. That almost never happened in New Vegas, there was always an option to finish a quest that would agree with my character. I hadn't really appreciated that until now.

It's honestly almost worse that they half-assed the choice system rather than actually just give you no choice at all.

I came up to a drug dealer selling Skooma, and my only options were to tell him no. Why the hell?

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
There is no slide for the evacuation solution.

Cicadalek posted:

Honest Hearts is probably the most underwhelming DLC gameplay wise (though considering how high the bar is it's still pretty fun) but it has the most going on in terms of making you consider your actions and consequences, in my opinion. It just grates on me that someone could boil it down to "good vs evil" when I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of what the game is reaching at.
Originally I was going to do the "violence" path because it made more sense to me in the circumstances, but then in the endings it basically said that everyone is still/went crazy and/or militant. I had the impression that it was a choice between "go to war, expect casualties" and "abandon home, reduce casualties". Since nobody seemed particularly attached to Zion, or maybe they already made up their minds or something, it seemed like the choice was obvious. Maybe it would have helped if the other guy didn't run up to me and immediately tried to convince me against the guy I just spoke to; I think that's the real annoying thing, it didn't feel like a natural argument at all. Maybe not "good vs evil" but "good vs bad", I'd feel like I was missing out on something if I took what seemed to be the clearly inferior solution.

Revolver Bunker posted:

I found Dead Money arbitrarily long due to the death fog and plethora of traps but I did like Honest Hearts because it was short and sweet. That and getting a .45 pistol is pretty cool. As for the Holorifle I'm finding a use for it in Old World Blues and in Mohave proper. Once I could repair it to full, put all the upgrade attachments and insert Max Overcharged Microfusion cells it was glorious going around 2 shooting most things. I found that it actually works well against the scorpions in OWBs. I'm finding OWBs the best of the DLC so far. The new characters are interesting and your predicament is very Sci-fi B rated movie.
Maybe it was just me, but I found the .45 to be kind of inaccurate at range, and not really strong enough. Then again, after starting OWB, I'm beginning to think that Very Hard mode is simply indefensibly terrible with all the DLC's ramping up the bullet sponginess, and maybe that's affecting detection, too. But I can still occasionally one-hit with the laser rifle, so I'm not sure if I'd like the holorifle better on an easier setting, it's just too slow and not versatile enough. OWB is otherwise pretty good so far, the opening already has more story content than the other two combined. The kind of dialogue I think I need to wear headphones for when other people are around, but still.

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 29, 2011

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's honestly almost worse that they half-assed the choice system rather than actually just give you no choice at all.

I came up to a drug dealer selling Skooma, and my only options were to tell him no. Why the hell?

I had a god ask for my soul in servitude and I could only reply with 'yes'.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I adore Skyrim and generally don't sweat the lack of choice, but I did come across an example of this that really bothered me. I picked up a quest to track down some cult members. I show up and the cult leader tries to talk me into finding a human to sacrifice to their god. I politely tell her that I'll do no such thing, pull out my weapon and yell "quest failed, bitch!" as I smack her down with a power attack. What happens once I've killed all the cultists? Their god possesses a corpse, scolds me for killing his followers, and then asks me to bring him a human sacrifice without giving me an option to refuse.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

J-Spot posted:

I adore Skyrim and generally don't sweat the lack of choice, but I did come across an example of this that really bothered me. I picked up a quest to track down some cult members. I show up and the cult leader tries to talk me into finding a human to sacrifice to their god. I politely tell her that I'll do no such thing, pull out my weapon and yell "quest failed, bitch!" as I smack her down with a power attack. What happens once I've killed all the cultists? Their god possesses a corpse, scolds me for killing his followers, and then asks me to bring him a human sacrifice without giving me an option to refuse.

Haha sorry this owns

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Apparently chatting with a faction leader means you want to join that faction in Skyrim. I went to chat with the rebels, hoping for a discussion about their philosophy, their specific complaints, their goals... hopefully some way to engage or criticize them for their overt racism. The conversation with Caesar was one of my favorite parts of New Vegas, even though I was never for a second going to side with the Legion. I was hoping for something similar here- a way to flesh out your enemy and add depth to the story. Nope. The only conversation options were ones to persuade the dude to let me join his cause.

I was chatting with an evil elf faction guy I met on the road, and as an elf I was sympathetic to his "gently caress humans" stance... of course there was no way for me to express that, and he immediately accused me of worshiping the human god and my only options were, "gently caress yeah, I worship that god!" and, "So what if I do worship that god?" and, "..." All of which resulted in the elf trying to kill me.

In short, Fallout: New Vegas is a fantastic game.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
One thing that you guys seem to be forgetting about Skyrim is that your "no" answer is "Close the dialog window" - you can close a dialog window at any time, you're not trapped in to saying "yes" to everything. You can either say "yes" or you can exit the conversation and walk away (or kill them).

It's not quite as immersive as New Vegas but let's face it, did anyone actually expect any new CRPG to be better than New Vegas?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

J-Spot posted:

You gotta admit, if they're going to pull a "But thou must!" at least they got creative with it.

The weird thing though, is that they already made a game where, other merits aside, you were pretty much allowed to say "gently caress off idiot" and insta-fail anything but the main quest. It was called Fallout 3.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Oh the crazy right wing callin mutant radio show I found on a random hill is actually part of a quest. Oh this OWNS.

The hyperabundance of ammo and resources kind of bothered me a bit in an NMA this-aint-fallout kind of way but having just cleared a gulch full of scorpions with my collection of one dozen frag grenades, then battling up through Helios ONE with the plasma rifle and pulse grenades I picked up just poking around a little so I could obliterate an NCR conscript army with solar space death lasers watching from atop a tower at level 8 I have come to the conclusion the game in fact loving loving loving rules and is without doubt the best videogame purchase I've made this year.

I'm already chomping at the bit to get through this playthrough so I can do my requisite psychotic evil character. Caesar's Legion is a very hatable faction and it'll be interesting to see how my dull eyed crazy person can work with them.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Willie Tomg posted:

Oh the crazy right wing callin mutant radio show I found on a random hill is actually part of a quest. Oh this OWNS.

The best part is when the quest's conclusion bugs out and the station gets to stay on the air despite Tabitha and Rhonda leaving peacefully. :unsmith:

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
This might be an interesting read: An interview/post-mortem with Chris Avellone about Fallout: New Vegas and its DLC.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Chris Avellone posted:

Also, in Dead Money, Elijah's not only frustrated with human nature but he also makes several pointed comments about hand-holding in RPGs, which may be voicing my views on the matter, since I can get a little grumpy about it.

:allears: Just take all my money Chris Avellone. Just take it all and stuff it in a sack.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So I finally get to the vault in Dead Money, but every time I access the last control computer to trigger the conversation with Elijah, the game bugs out and closes the video panel before he speaks and I'm just sitting there unable to move, look at my pip boy or anything.

Reloading doesn't help, I can't leave the vault because the elevator is somewhere else and can't be called from there, and I don't know what to do.

I suppose I could use the OWB transponder to just leave, but how would I get all my crazy loot from that addon back (I miss my sneaking suit).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Wade Wilson posted:

So I finally get to the vault in Dead Money, but every time I access the last control computer to trigger the conversation with Elijah, the game bugs out and closes the video panel before he speaks and I'm just sitting there unable to move, look at my pip boy or anything.

Reloading doesn't help, I can't leave the vault because the elevator is somewhere else and can't be called from there, and I don't know what to do.

I suppose I could use the OWB transponder to just leave, but how would I get all my crazy loot from that addon back (I miss my sneaking suit).

Transportalponder won't work there either, so you are sort of stuck if that conversation won't trigger.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Chris Avellone posted:

Lastly, with regards to the DLCs, I believe Ulysses is correct, a new framework of civilization is the only solution for the Mojave and the Legion and NCR are self-destructive institutions (the Legion is more a slow burn than NCR is) and both should be cleansed with fire.
... What?

I guess this does somewhat address my issues with Ulysses, as I was mostly disappointed that he ended up with such an unrealistically psychotic plan... but if Chris Avellone agrees with him... well, it's no less psychotic, but perhaps less unrealistic.

And I like how he thinks the Legion will destroy itself more slowly than the NCR. I mean, I guess if Caesar's plan succeeded totally and he successfully integrated the NCR's civilization into his harsh pragmatic nomadic army that might be the case but if either faction was going to collapse into anarchy, I'd put money on the nomadic army, not the settled urban civilization whose chief concerns include such existential crises as the undue influence of money in politics...

Am I missing some fundamental flaw the NCR had? They were hosed up in a lot of ways, but they'd built a strong foundation, both industrially and in their political system... And even if you think the political system was hosed beyond repair, surely a revolution to overthrow that would solve the issue more effectively than destroying everything.

Come to think of it, that was actually Caesar's plan.

(Have I mentioned recently how much I love the world of New Vegas?)

Eiba fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 29, 2011

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

Welcome to the Hotel California?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
The Legion has brain cancer so IDK where he's going with that one, except maybe that they're both imperial institutions based on infinite expansion and the NCR is fueled by less common resources (actually civilized societies) that it burns up faster. In the context of Fallout the society the Legion is based on still had a good couple millennia left to it, the NCR's didn't.
The libdem capitalists straight up implode and kill everyone once they run out of resources to expand into.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah in the Fallout world, the NCR's style of government nuked the Earth within a couple of decades, you can't blame people for being a little reluctant.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Ugh, gently caress. What's the console command to mark an objective complete? Somehow it didn't recognize that I'd entered the vault and that must be what's screwing things up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eiba posted:

Am I missing some fundamental flaw the NCR had? They were hosed up in a lot of ways, but they'd built a strong foundation, both industrially and in their political system... And even if you think the political system was hosed beyond repair, surely a revolution to overthrow that would solve the issue more effectively than destroying everything.

Something I recall being frequently brought up was that the NCR was expanding far too fast and stretching itself way too thin in its mad scramble to "re-civilize" the country. There is a real chance of the whole thing just collapsing or otherwise falling apart, breaking up into small isolated communities again.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
And, again, if one looks to the general theme of Fallout, the NCR is pretty much the best fit for doing the "war, war never changes" line. It's imitating the post-war governments that destroyed the world. Expanding rapidly, warring over resources etc. Plus, even though they might not have their hands on atomic warheads, Fallout is still pretty ripe with things that can be destructive on a massive scale. Hell, the NCR is investigating Vault 22 for example, and the OSI Director isn't particularly concerned with being cautious or anything like that.

In the Fallout world, everything will (and should) turn to poo poo again because that's one of its main themes. How humanity manages to destroy itself.

That said, I'm also not sure on how Caesar's Legion is a slow burn compared to NCR. Perhaps the Obsidian guys have a lot more backstory written out regarding how things are going back west than what we see or hear in the game. Maybe it really is going downhill, and fast.

As for Caesar's Legion, I think it's hard to tell from in-game what would happen if Caesar dies. If the line of succession is widely accepted, then I could see the Legion staying stable afterwards with someone like the Legate in charge for a fairly long while. He would certainly keep the bloodlust of the war-band that is the Legion army sated. There aren't that many murumurs of dissent against the Legate in-game from what I can remember. Though I think it's true what Ulysses says that the Legion would turn on itself once it beat down whatever force it's going up against (the NCR being the prominent one).

In terms of the Fallout lore, I think the most interesting continuation of New Vegas would be that the Legion wins at Hoover Dam, takes over New Vegas and then take things from there. Perhaps it and the NCR destroy each other, shattering into many small tribes and settlements.

I'm kinda with Avellone in the sense that I think Fallout needs to be "reset" a bit (and not in the manner of Fallout 3 which simply didn't make any sense whatsoever) to make it more post-apocalyptic again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

Oh my god, I was going to find some random shlep but now I must do this and see what happens.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
With regards to Skyrim vs. New Vegas, I have to agree with the sentiment that I'm getting. My first (and to date, only) character in Skyrim is at the level cap, 120 hours and counting, and I'm not sure I got any of my New Vegas characters past about 80 hours or so. In terms of a single character run, Skyrim seems to be more robust. But in terms of replayability and multiple characters and approaches, Skyrim can't touch New Vegas. I'm pretty sure I've done at least 5-6 characters, and I'm probably going to start another one soon.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Leinadi posted:

As for Caesar's Legion, I think it's hard to tell from in-game what would happen if Caesar dies. If the line of succession is widely accepted, then I could see the Legion staying stable afterwards with someone like the Legate in charge for a fairly long while. He would certainly keep the bloodlust of the war-band that is the Legion army sated. There aren't that many murumurs of dissent against the Legate in-game from what I can remember. Though I think it's true what Ulysses says that the Legion would turn on itself once it beat down whatever force it's going up against (the NCR being the prominent one).
The Legate (whoever he is at Hoover Dam, anyway) is a far better leader than Caesar both ideologically (unlike Caesar and Vulpes, Lanius has a strict code of honor) and militarily, and you will see this if you decide to read *both* the Speech 100 and Barter 100 paths talking to him. The problem is that when he decides to flex his muscle and reorganize things, a lot of up-and-coming Legionaries will be unhappy that the Legion ended up becoming something more honorable, something other than the endless rape-murder-plunder-wagon (which some people think isn't an actual problem, which is beyond all logic) they signed up for. These people will break apart from the Legion pretty fast.

The NCR has a different problem--too much kowtowing to the upper class, complete lack of government and military oversight. Nothing short of a revolution would fix that clusterfuck, and even then it would be little more than a stopgap solution.

The Mr. House solution seems like the most ideal one all things considered, even though it wouldn't be effective beyond a 3 mile radius around New Vegas.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 30, 2011

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The Legate (whoever he is at Hoover Dam, anyway) is a far better leader than Caesar both ideologically (unlike Caesar and Vulpes, Lanius has a strict code of honor) and militarily, and you will see this if you decide to read *both* the Speech 100 and Barter 100 paths talking to him. The problem is that when he decides to flex his muscle and reorganize things, a lot of up-and-coming Legionaries will be unhappy that the Legion ended up becoming something more honorable, something other than the endless rape-murder-plunder-wagon (which some people think isn't an actual problem, which is beyond all logic) they signed up for. These people will break apart from the Legion pretty fast.

This is a point that is often forgotten because of all the horror stories about the Legate, and the havoc he wreaks in the ending slides (burning the Old Mormon Fort to the ground, sacrificing hundreds of troops to try to kill the Remnants, crucifying Chief Hanlon) is what stands out in my mind.

All of a sudden my next playthrough might be "kill everything, burn the Mojave to the ground" independent ending, just to one-up the Legate.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Leinadi posted:

I'm kinda with Avellone in the sense that I think Fallout needs to be "reset" a bit (and not in the manner of Fallout 3 which simply didn't make any sense whatsoever) to make it more post-apocalyptic again.
I hope this happens by moving the setting and not undoing all of the progress made by the player in Fallouts 1, 2, and Vegas. We still don't know anything about the areas north of Arroyo or East of Modoc. Washinton and Montana are still available as are the southeast and the southern states proper.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The Mr. House solution seems like the most ideal one all things considered, even though it wouldn't be effective beyond a 3 mile radius around New Vegas.
This is what I don't get. The independent ending is exactly the same except you're in charge instead of House. Why would anybody pick playing second banana to a megalomaniac instead of taking over themselves?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I'd rather chill out after doing all that crap, instead of running a giant city. House can do it, if he just builds a rad building for me somewhere to stash all my goodies.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

LividLiquid posted:

I hope this happens by moving the setting and not undoing all of the progress made by the player in Fallouts 1, 2, and Vegas. We still don't know anything about the areas north of Arroyo or East of Modoc. Washinton and Montana are still available as are the southeast and the southern states proper.

This is what I don't get. The independent ending is exactly the same except you're in charge instead of House. Why would anybody pick playing second banana to a megalomaniac instead of taking over themselves?

I'm to lazy to rule, I would rather just be the face of the organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

LividLiquid posted:

I personally trust house more than I trust me. He's a smart feller.