Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Autarch Kade posted:

Personally, I wouldn't buy something like the U2711 for $800 or whatever it's priced at currently, because when you're already spending that much money, you may as well spend a bit more and go for the 30" U3011. Then you get the most resolution. I would have regret a 27" purchase to be honest, and always been wondering how much better a screen I could have gotten if I had spent just a bit more.

Below the 27" level, prices drop significantly, so between say 20" to 24" monitors, it's not that big of a deal as it is between a 27" and 30" to me.

If you ever wanted a thirty inch monitor later, it wouldn't have the same resolution as your 27 inch one, and you couldn't eyefinity or surround and have it look as good or function as well as if they were the same size/resolution. It'd be a replacement, rather than an addition. Then again, this is coming from someone whose third 30" is arriving in a few days (another U3011).

Personal preference. I grabbed the ZR2740W for $615 shipped, from an authorized HP retailer. The jump to a 30" would be at least $400 more, for an extra 160px vertical resolution.

Add to that that I have no interest in eyefinity, and had a 3007WFP back a number of years, but found it to be just big enough that I was moving my head a lot when programming, and the 27" was actually a pretty good fit.

But that's really just personal preference. The point I was making between the 24 vs older 27 is there is no gain aside from physical size by going to 27" and he loses warranty in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ToastyX posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not true. What monitor doesn't have HDCP support these days?
The Detailed Specs specifically says it doesn't support HDCP. They would be able to easily disable it via the firmware and not have to pay the per-monitor royalties, so that may explain its absence. I suppose it COULD be an error but I don't see anything contradicting those specs.

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!

Alereon posted:

The Detailed Specs specifically says it doesn't support HDCP. They would be able to easily disable it via the firmware and not have to pay the per-monitor royalties, so that may explain its absence. I suppose it COULD be an error but I don't see anything contradicting those specs.
NewEgg specs aren't always accurate. I checked the user reviews and a couple of them mention using it with the PS3, which requires HDCP support when using HDMI.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Just received my pair of U2412Ms yesterday. Even though I didn't catch the Black Friday sale, they're still amazing monitors and well worth the price. I can't believe I put up with my previous TN panel for so long...

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

SamDabbers posted:

Just received my pair of U2412Ms yesterday. Even though I didn't catch the Black Friday sale, they're still amazing monitors and well worth the price. I can't believe I put up with my previous TN panel for so long...

If you call Dell support they may price match they did for me, of course I called when the sale was on.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I would, except I got them from Provantage since at the time they were ~$20 less including shipping than Dell :doh:

Also, 2412s look just as great in portrait orientation as they do in landscape.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 27, 2011

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ok, having a cisco phone at home is pretty awesome.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm looking to replace my ageing monitor and I've been searching for a decent 1080p display that'll be great for gaming/watching videos.

The monitors in the OP are slightly above my price range, I'm wanting to drop around £130 (about 200 USD) so I guess the size should be 21 to 23", could somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If you can go £40 higher: Dell U2211H. £170. 22", 1080p, IPS.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2211-Widescreen-Panel-Monitor/dp/B003R7K32S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322429622&sr=8-4

I have 3 of the U2311H's, the 23" model. They are fantastic.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007
I'm looking for a monitor about 21-23 inches with 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080 native resolution and wide viewing angles and a glossy coating. Does such a monitor exist for about $200? If not I can go with a TN panel I guess.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Isurion posted:

I'm looking for a monitor about 21-23 inches with 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080 native resolution and wide viewing angles and a glossy coating. Does such a monitor exist for about $200? If not I can go with a TN panel I guess.

Take a look at this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236122

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
You're not going to find a glossy monitor outside of an Apple Cinema display. You can't even go with a TN panel either because nobody makes such a thing.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're the only ones. The monitor posted above is a good deal if you want an IPS panel for under $200, but I believe only the bezel is glossy, not the display itself.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Isurion posted:

If you're not displaying your monitor as a work of art, there is literally no advantage to a glossy coating. Colors are off, more eye strain, and barely visible if any light shines on it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MeruFM posted:

If you're not displaying your monitor as a work of art, there is literally no advantage to a glossy coating. Colors are off, more eye strain, and barely visible if any light shines on it.
Many people feel that it makes colors "pop" more and increase their vibrancy. While it may not be the best if you're doing professional graphics work, some people simply prefer it as a personal choice. That said, there aren't many glossy IPS displays other than the ACD. The linked monitor is, in fact, a matte screen with a glossy bezel--one way to tell if the panel itself is glossy is if it looks like it's inset from the bezel. If so, it's probably matte. If it looks like the panel and bezel are one unbroken level, it's probably glossy.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007
Yeah, I have a glossy screen on my laptop and I really like the way it looks but if they're that hard to find I'll probably just go with a matte one. Thanks everyone.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
The 2412 is back on sale! Does anyone have a stacking coupon?

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Steakandchips posted:

If you can go £40 higher: Dell U2211H. £170. 22", 1080p, IPS.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2211-Widescreen-Panel-Monitor/dp/B003R7K32S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322429622&sr=8-4

I have 3 of the U2311H's, the 23" model. They are fantastic.

I'll definitely check this out, thanks! Will the 8ms response time be okay for heavy gaming? (FPSes etc.)

BurnBlackJay fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 28, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MixMasterMalaria posted:

The 2412 is back on sale! Does anyone have a stacking coupon?

Where is it on sale? I see it on dell.com for the same price as Amazon.

Is the 8ms response time bad for gaming?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Hamburglar posted:

Where is it on sale? I see it on dell.com for the same price as Amazon.

Is the 8ms response time bad for gaming?

Response times are a meaningless number.

Response time is supposed to be the time it takes for a pixel to cycle the color it displays. In theory it can tell you if your monitor will have ghosting, but in practice every manufacturer measures it differently and the end result is that you can't determine anything useful from it.

In practice most monitor have no ghosting anymore (but if you're concerned you can read individual reviews).

The number that actually effect performance for gaming is input lag, and manufacturers never release that number. However the Dell U2412 has extremely low input lag - I can't remember the actual number but it's essentially imperceptible.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 28, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

Response times are a meaningless number.

Response time is supposed to be the time it takes for a pixel to cycle the color it displays. In theory it can tell you if your monitor will have ghosting, but in practice every manufacturer measures it differently and the end result is that you can't determine anything useful from it.

In practice most monitor have no ghosting anymore (but if you're concerned you can read individual reviews).

The number that actually effect performance for gaming is input lag, and manufacturers never release that number. However the Dell U2412 has extremely low input lag - I can't remember the actual number but it's essentially imperceptible.

Thanks. I know it's probably a question regulars of this thread are sick of, but I had to ask. I remember having a Planar LCD that had a 15ms response time and I hated it. The motion blur was very noticeable to me. It's also the reason that for TVs, I only buy plasma. My friend had an LCD TV with 5ms response time and I noticed motion blur. But I am really considering that Dell once I find out where it's on sale.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, dell.com has the U2412M for $299.99.

Is this monitor any better than the older 2405? I keep looking for an upgrade but it seems like the 2405 is a very solid monitor and even the newer monitors are only "slightly" better at best.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Vinlaen posted:

Yeah, dell.com has the U2412M for $299.99.

Is this monitor any better than the older 2405? I keep looking for an upgrade but it seems like the 2405 is a very solid monitor and even the newer monitors are only "slightly" better at best.

Same boat here. I think because it is IPS its a big jump.

Anyone here have the 2412 and do photo work? I'm an amateur photographer and do some paid stuff. Is the 2410 that important for me?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
The 2412 is a 6-bit panel with AFRC. The 2410 is a full 8-bit panel with 10-bit internal processing.

Up to you entirely, but the colour is going to be more accurate and with finer definition (no dithering) on a full 8-bit panel; no way around it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Munkaboo posted:

Anyone here have the 2412 and do photo work? I'm an amateur photographer and do some paid stuff. Is the 2410 that important for me?
My girlfriend is a professional photographer and basically lives in Photoshop. She has a U2311H (same type of 6-bit panel) and has run into color banding precisely once, and has otherwise been extremely pleased with it. Not sure what sort of work you do, but if it's producing stuff for the web, remember that the U2410 is a wide-gamut monitor, which will make your life exceedingly annoying, and if you're doing stuff and then sending it to a company to print, the choice of print company will make a much larger difference than 6- vs 8-bit.

Also, any chance we could get a thread title change to something like response times are meaningless numbers?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

The 2412 is a 6-bit panel with AFRC. The 2410 is a full 8-bit panel with 10-bit internal processing.

Up to you entirely, but the colour is going to be more accurate and with finer definition (no dithering) on a full 8-bit panel; no way around it.

What does this mean to an aspiring (but novice) graphic artist?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

Also, any chance we could get a thread title change to something like response times are meaningless numbers?

To be fair, the OP (which I read) seems very updated but still makes quite a few mentions of response times. The ms thing also makes a big difference if you play games with flat graphics (old consoles, Braid/side scrollers/etc.).

I'll probably be getting the U2412M, regardless. Thanks, thread!

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

MixMasterMalaria posted:

What does this mean to an aspiring (but novice) graphic artist?

Yeah, I do photo work (not very well), so I'm not creating colors out of thing air or anything but just doing minor color work and I'm wondering if I should go with the U2410 (I have 2 on my desk at work and they're truly incredible) or spend much less and get the 2412s.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

Monitor/Display Megathread: Response Time is not Input Lag

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Welp, just jumped into the IPS world and ordered the 2412m. Hope it's a big improvement from my 2405FPW.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Back from break, added DrDork's response time blurb to the OP. I'm going to reorganize the OP at some point soon after I finish the other megathread OP I'm working on.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Just saw someone with a U2412m and a U2410 side by side at work, and they're a "color professional" and they're pretty much indistinguishable. Ordering the u2412m!

I got it off Amazon for $348 w/overnight shipped because Dell was charging me tax and shipping and was actually $350.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BurnBlackJay posted:

I'll definitely check this out, thanks! Will the 8ms response time be okay for heavy gaming? (FPSes etc.)

There is literally 0 lag. It's perfect. Get it.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

dunkman posted:

Just saw someone with a U2412m and a U2410 side by side at work, and they're a "color professional" and they're pretty much indistinguishable. Ordering the u2412m!

I got it off Amazon for $348 w/overnight shipped because Dell was charging me tax and shipping and was actually $350.

The dell has tax but if you get it from dell home instead of dell small business there's no shipping. Still hoping to find a coupon this afternoon...

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Was thinking of getting this for gaming: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1076208&CatId=1410

Plan to use a Radeon HD 6670 with a DVI connection. Good idea, bad idea?

Edit: Mainly I'm asking if LED displays are any good compared to LCD/plasma.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 29, 2011

okiedokie
Feb 23, 2004

a whale of a heart

dunkman posted:

I'm considering buying from the Dell website, and even with the free shipping, it's totaling $330 with tax and an $8 "Environmental Fee". And then I'll have to wait 7 business days for it... Anyone see any better deals out there?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

okiedokie posted:

I'm considering buying from the Dell website, and even with the free shipping, it's totaling $330 with tax and an $8 "Environmental Fee". And then I'll have to wait 7 business days for it... Anyone see any better deals out there?

I dunno, $299 is the best price I've ever seen, and buying direct from Dell guarantees they will honor the warranty, unlike buying from eBay or the like.

You know what they say, good monitors come to those who wait. Dell always hilariously overestimates ship times, anyway.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'm looking for a relatively solid 22-23" LCD for under $150, will mostly be for generic browsing/chatting and maybe some occasional gaming. This will be a secondary monitor, so input lag isn't a huge concern. Needs to be VESA compliant as it will be going on an arm. I'm just looking at some ACER models that score well on Newegg, but is there a default recommendation in this size/price range?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Farecoal posted:

Was thinking of getting this for gaming: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1076208&CatId=1410

Plan to use a Radeon HD 6670 with a DVI connection. Good idea, bad idea?

Edit: Mainly I'm asking if LED displays are any good compared to LCD/plasma.
I, personally, am not a huge fan of 1600x900 displays (I'd rather a 1680x1050), but for $80 it's hard to argue with. It would probably be a decent, generic monitor that will be acceptable for gaming but won't blow you away with anything. Newegg reviews are pretty much what you'd expect: Good basic monitor, but a lovely stand and no VESA mount. LED monitors still use the same LCD panel as every other monitor, they just typically run a little more power-efficient, a little thinner, and a little cooler (as in actual heat coming out the back) than standard monitors. Your video card will work fine with it.

themummra
Nov 16, 2011

by Ozmaugh
What do you guys think of this monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009306

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

themummra posted:

What do you guys think of this monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009306

I don't think there will be that much differentiation between monitors in the low end. It's a cheap TN panel so you'll get the same poor viewing angles as from any other cheap monitors. Given that it's 1920 x 1080 it seems like a pretty good deal at that price point.