Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Granite Octopus posted:

Argh is this why my software update is going so slowly? I've been without proper internet for more than a month and just got it back this morning. Trying to pull down about 10 software updates and its going at 200kbps.

I hope it's that, and not my wholesale provider having the shitiest backhaul in the universe (probably true)
I'm leaning toward a problem with your provider, since I just pulled down updates at ~5MB/s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm leaning toward a problem with your provider, since I just pulled down updates at ~5MB/s.

yeah, I just pulled the 40 or so meg Safari update down in a few seconds.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Safari 5.1.2 seems more stable; animated GIFs still suck CPU cycles.

Definitely plays nicer with others, running Einstein@Home in the background it doesn't get steppy like an Android scroll..

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ManPortable posted:

Finally I don't have to switch browsers to view or even just download certain papers.

Or use vmware in my case- these past three semesters have sucked for downloading school pdfs.

I still want FF cookie management in Safari before I can commit 100%.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I don't know what it is but the new Gmail interface and Safari hate each other when I use them now. I can't autocomplete the To: field anymore and the page just constantly loads. After this update, the message window won't even pull up as it stalls loading the rich text editor in the compose window. Urgh. Why did Google have to gently caress with poo poo?

Welp, just for the hell I whitelisted Gmail in AdBlock and it is working now. Urgh....

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 30, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
A recent AdBlock for Safari update addressed problems with Gmail. Be sure you have the latest version of that extension.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Might have to manually update your filter subscriptions also.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Binary Badger posted:

Safari 5.1.2 seems more stable; animated GIFs still suck CPU cycles.

What is up with that? I've been told it's a webkit issue but Chrome on Windows animates gifs without a hitch.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've always heard it was a CoreGraphics thing. That said Safari seems to have been ok for me once they're fully loaded, it's the animating while loading that fucks the CPU usage here.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Whatever it is, there's no excuse. I just don't understand how this issue has lasted so long. I can stream HD video while I compile code, but if I want a few frames of a 256-color image to play smoothly, I'm out of luck.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Anyone here use Notational Velocity for Simplenote syncing? I just noticed tonight that Command+F apparently does nothing, even though it exists in the edit menu. Is this a recent bug or something - I'm sure I used it in the past :(

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

OK so every once in a while I notice my 2010ish C2D MBP with 10.6.8 is running sluggish. I pop open iStat Pro, and see that there are less than 100 megs of memory available. It is strange, because I have 4 drat gigs. A restart brings it back to like 3 gigs available.

Apps I usually run are:
Chrome
Ableton Live
Adobe CS5 stuff
Elgato Video Capture
Microsoft Office stuff
Taco HTML Edit

is there a memory leak or something? Is there a terminal command I can use to release memory without having to restart?

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 1, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think I get how the gfxcardstatus app works on my Macbook Pro. I set it to only use Integrated Graphics when I'm on battery. But when I turn on Twitter app or Firefox it still switches to Discrete. Am I doing something wrong?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Apple just released Safari v.5.1.2 via Software Update.

Great, no more white flashes.

Instead now it's flashing black.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Four gigs isn't a lot of memory these days, especially with some of the stuff you listed, but you shouldn't be hitting empty unless you're running a bunch of these at the same time :(

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Anyone here use Notational Velocity for Simplenote syncing? I just noticed tonight that Command+F apparently does nothing, even though it exists in the edit menu. Is this a recent bug or something - I'm sure I used it in the past :(

Known issue: https://github.com/scrod/nv/issues/240

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think I get how the gfxcardstatus app works on my Macbook Pro. I set it to only use Integrated Graphics when I'm on battery. But when I turn on Twitter app or Firefox it still switches to Discrete. Am I doing something wrong?

Nope. It appears to be busted on 10.7.1.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm having problems with rendering video in Final Cut Pro X on a Macbook Air. I'm basically cutting a large number of clips (~30) together, for a total video length of about an hour. No fancy effects aside from some zoom so that some videos take up the full screen. It plays just fine in preview mode, but when the video is finished rendering, the final product will randomly have the same 2-second splice of video from the first clip interspersed at random throughout the video. The audio plays through just fine, but the video will have these random cuts. Anyone know what the problem might be?

13" Mid-2011 MBA with 4 GB RAM.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

vas0line posted:

OK so every once in a while I notice my 2010ish C2D MBP with 10.6.8 is running sluggish. I pop open iStat Pro, and see that there are less than 100 megs of memory available. It is strange, because I have 4 drat gigs. A restart brings it back to like 3 gigs available.

Apps I usually run are:
Chrome
Ableton Live
Adobe CS5 stuff
Elgato Video Capture
Microsoft Office stuff
Taco HTML Edit

is there a memory leak or something? Is there a terminal command I can use to release memory without having to restart?
Open Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor, and sort by the Memory column to see what apps / processes appear to be using lots of RAM.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

SupahCoolX posted:

Open Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor, and sort by the Memory column to see what apps / processes appear to be using lots of RAM.
OK, current uptime is 17ish hours, 2.2 gigs free.
Running Photoshop, Live and Taco, then quitting them brings it down to 1.69 gigs free
The top 5 items that are currently using the most memory in Activity Monitor are Chrome, Mail, and iTunes, iCal, and Quick Look Helper. The applications I opened above do not appear in the list.
Is it a ghost?!

edit: OK so it appears that if I open Photoshop, edit a file, and then quit Photoshop, I have 500 megs less available than I did when I opened Photoshop... Rather, it's not freeing up a few hundred megs upon exit. Perhaps it's all Photoshop's fault?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple just released Keynote 5.1.1.

Apple posted:

This update addresses issues when working with large Keynote presentations on OS X Lion. It also includes improvements in stability and accessibility for Keynote.

This update is recommended for users of Keynote 5.1. For detailed information on this update and individual application changes, please visit this site: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5026

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

vas0line posted:

Rather, it's not freeing up a few hundred megs upon exit. Perhaps it's all Photoshop's fault?

Photoshop is very notorious for not letting go of RAM once it's glommed it.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

pipes! posted:

Photoshop is very notorious for not letting go of RAM once it's glommed it.
Yeah, doing a bunch of Googling confirms this suspicion! drat selfish Photoshop!
Is there a command in Terminal or something to release the memory, or is a restart the best way?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Binary Badger posted:

Apple just released Keynote 5.1.1.

Still no iCloud support. I wonder what they're planning...

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

Still no iCloud support. I wonder what they're planning...

...Lackluster support and half-assed implementation?

Honestly sometimes I wish Apple would stop trying to compete with internet services. They've never done it well and it only hurts the consumer.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Manky posted:

...Lackluster support and half-assed implementation?

Honestly sometimes I wish Apple would stop trying to compete with internet services. They've never done it well and it only hurts the consumer.

iCloud works well on iOS devices. I'd say what they're planning is to bring OS X closer in parity to iOS until they're the same thing and they've fully killed the file system as we know it.

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man

vas0line posted:

Yeah, doing a bunch of Googling confirms this suspicion! drat selfish Photoshop!
Is there a command in Terminal or something to release the memory, or is a restart the best way?

I can't guarantee it's not just the placebo effect, but purge has seemed to have at least some benefit for me after VMWare Fusion eats all my RAM.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Does anyone know of a program that functions like smcfancontrol on the windows side for macs? The generic windows fan control programs don't seem to work at all.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

maduin posted:

iCloud works well on iOS devices. I'd say what they're planning is to bring OS X closer in parity to iOS until they're the same thing and they've fully killed the file system as we know it.
I'm guessing a problem is that that the iOS and Mac versions seem to use different file formats. I figure that won't get cleaned up until whatever next major release of iWork on either side.

anagramarye posted:

I can't guarantee it's not just the placebo effect, but purge has seemed to have at least some benefit for me after VMWare Fusion eats all my RAM.
You need to have the dev tools to have this last I tried it. I was going to mention it too, but another thing for vas0line, are you looking at just the free memory number alone? What do you have for inactive? I think purge gets rid of that, which iirc is basically cached stuff and will be swapped out if memory is needed. Instead of swapping when it's needed I guess you can just force it with purge.

Since you said you have a "2010ish C2D MBP" you should be able to upgrade to 8GB, sounds like it would help you out (...and/or SSD but that'll cost quite a bit more vs 8GB being pretty cheap these days).

dereekb
Nov 7, 2010

What do you mean "error"?

vas0line posted:

Afaik you can change the amount of RAM that Photoshop hogs up/"allocates" when it opens up and stays open. I remember having this problem (except Photoshop was acting slow, so instead I added more RAM for Photoshop to take up). Not "exactly" sure where the setting is, other than there is a setting and it's in preferences. See if that helps.

I've got a question though; I've got a MBA, and when watching Netflix the CPU gets maxed out because of silverlight. Is there a way to restrict the amount of CPU that is used by programs? Checking online, there are a few terminal hacks that I haven't managed to get to work.

Any suggestions?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

dereekb posted:

Afaik you can change the amount of RAM that Photoshop hogs up/"allocates" when it opens up and stays open. I remember having this problem (except Photoshop was acting slow, so instead I added more RAM for Photoshop to take up). Not "exactly" sure where the setting is, other than there is a setting and it's in preferences. See if that helps.

Preferences -> Performance. :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dereekb posted:

I've got a question though; I've got a MBA, and when watching Netflix the CPU gets maxed out because of silverlight. Is there a way to restrict the amount of CPU that is used by programs? Checking online, there are a few terminal hacks that I haven't managed to get to work.

Any suggestions?
I used cputhrottle semi successfully a few weeks (months?) ago while encoding videos. I say "semi" cause it worked but sometimes would crash and the process would go back to taking up as much as it wanted.

There's some other scripts that do it with stop/start signals but I didn't try those and supposedly could mess with some apps. Otherwise I vaguely remember some fan/CPU control app that could mess with the voltage to keep the CPU speed low, but it was a pay app (and seemed kind of excessive for my use) so I never bothered.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm officially in SSD land. Holy gently caress :aaa:

Are there any optimizations or tweaks that I should know about? It's an Intel 320 drive, and I'm running Lion on an early-2011 MBP.

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 2, 2011

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

Great, no more white flashes.

Instead now it's flashing black.

Whyyyyyyy. Now I can't unsee it. :mad:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

surrender posted:

I'm officially in SSD land. Holy gently caress :aaa:

Are there any optimizations or tweaks that I should know about? It's an Intel 320 drive, and I'm running Lion on an early-2011 MBP.

Partition on 2MB boundaries, and enable TRIM.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

maduin posted:

Yeah, and my point is that it's a lovely thing to do - launch a whole platform without getting your ducks in a row. Honest question: Does Apple make significant revenue on its online consumer tools? iTools, .Mac, MobileMe, iCloud, whatever the hell it is these days. I at least remember .Mac being pretty cool back before it was totally trivial to get data hosted for free/cheap online. But man, nowadays there are so many options for email, online backup, free site hosting. If Apple can't even integrate their proprietary internet crap properly between their hardware cash cows, what on earth is the point?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It's a value addition to sell the hardware along with the benefit of locking you in...obviously it could stand to be a better addition. And their cash cows are the iPhone and iPad :v:. Well the Mac is too, but it's behind those two.

dereekb
Nov 7, 2010

What do you mean "error"?

japtor posted:

I used cputhrottle semi successfully a few weeks (months?) ago while encoding videos. I say "semi" cause it worked but sometimes would crash and the process would go back to taking up as much as it wanted.

There's some other scripts that do it with stop/start signals but I didn't try those and supposedly could mess with some apps. Otherwise I vaguely remember some fan/CPU control app that could mess with the voltage to keep the CPU speed low, but it was a pay app (and seemed kind of excessive for my use) so I never bothered.

Yea, I tried getting it to work, but every time I try "gunzip cputhrottle.gz", it gives me the error:

"gzip: cputhrottle.gz: not in gzip format"

Which is pretty annoying. Any suggestions?

Edit: Never-mind, I'm an idiot and didn't understand that you run the .gz itself... :shobon:

dereekb fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 2, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Oh I forgot about that, I remember running into that too. Just something with the server sending the wrong type and downloading as .gz for some reason when it's actually the binary itself :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Steam is such a piece of poo poo on OSX. Despite having a quad-core i7, 8gigs RAM, and a 256gig SSD it still beachballs while trying to load games. It must take twice as long to load a Team Fortress 2 match than it does on Windows.