Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
1. I'm torn between A and B, so half a vote to A and half to B.

2. A. He killed Finch! Bad Minsc, no cookie for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
1 & E

I still don't really like Xzar, and he didn't seem to have any cool stuff down here, unless it's still to come.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

JGBeagle posted:

1) E: Make your portrait gold instead.

Do that. The marcus_cz one works

And then 2) Secret option 6 send him off to the Juggler and complete the questline with our current party.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 30, 2011

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A, unless someone comes up with a better portrait. Crazy golden portrait of course.

1 Minsc probably shouldn't be around when we rez Finch. That would be awkward.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 30, 2011

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Something that those considering voting Imoen out might want to bear in mind is that, unless I'm forgetting my 2E (which is quite possible) she and Tiax are our only options for trapfinders right now. I don't know how important that will be once we get out of the kobolds' den, but having a thief around is traditionally pretty useful.

How good a tank is Mur'neth when he's not in ooze form? If he's good enough to hold up the front line even when he's not in his 1/day glopform, I'm okay with the growing consensus to give Minsc a break, particularly with Xan reinforcing the front. On the other hand, if Mur'neth can't cut it as a main tank, we might want to let Xzar loose once his plot in the mine is dealt with (assuming he actually has some plot down here after all.)

Yeah, I'm too much of a grognard not to think about this stuff when voting. :v:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Keep Xan's portrait. I like how you look exactly like each other.
Use this as your portrait instead:

As for the other vote:
A. Replace Minsc. I still want to see Xzar's content down here, and Minsc just killed a party member. He deserves a rest.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
1. Anime Xan, it's actually bearable to look at without it being chibi.
2. A. Replace Minsc, he killed the little scribe.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

sebzilla posted:

Do that.

And then 2) Secret option 6 send him off to the Juggler and complete the questline with our current party.

Damnit, I always keep forgetting these options. I'll edit that in.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

markus_cz posted:

Keep Xan's portrait. I like how you look exactly like each other.
Use this as your portrait instead:

This...

sebzilla posted:

...and this.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I really like the golden avatar idea but I wish it was brighter. I'm practically glowing!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 30, 2011

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Edited from markus's:

I saved it as a 24 bit bmp because I think that's what the game requires.

edit: also, Minsc needs a time-out

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I like Vilkacis's idea.

Btw, was he bladesinger by default? With standard tactics loadout he is a sorcerer in my playthrough, which is definitely the more useful wizard-y class at lower levels of BG1. However, I think I couldn't scroll through spell tables during spell selection and thus had a more limited range. Have you encountered this problem?

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Mr_Ham97 posted:

Edited from markus's:

I saved it as a 24 bit bmp because I think that's what the game requires.

edit: also, Minsc needs a time-out

I vote for this. Both of them.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

pokie posted:

I like Vilkacis's idea.

Btw, was he bladesinger by default? With standard tactics loadout he is a sorcerer in my playthrough, which is definitely the more useful wizard-y class at lower levels of BG1. However, I think I couldn't scroll through spell tables during spell selection and thus had a more limited range. Have you encountered this problem?

I changed him to a bladesinger because he's got a moonblade. It would be an absolute tragedy for him to be a magic-wielding elf with an upgradable moonblade and NOT be a bladesinger. He was originally a sorcerer in my install as well. But since Dynaheir is already a sorcerer I also thought redundancy would not be cool. I think we have enough classes for every single character in this whole game to be unique. Why not do it?

About the scrolling issue, I thought the new .exe file, ToBEx_Loader.exe, took care of those problems? I remember being able to scroll when choosing spells when making Syvishtar...

And wow, that avatar is pretty awesome. I'm definitely going to use it!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 1, 2011

jfenserty
Jul 16, 2008
Voting A for Chibi, although making you gold as well can't hurt.

Also, I think we should just send Xan to the Juggler for now.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Vorgen posted:

About the scrolling issue, I thought the new .exe file, ToBEx_Loader.exe, took care of those problems? I remember being able to scroll when choosing spells when making Syvishtar...

Ah, great. I wasn't aware of the new exe file. I am sure you know how bloated BG2 folder looks like after this install. How do you get to upgrade Xan's sword?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I'm not quite sure how upgrading xans sword works. I just know there's an upgraded version in the files. We might have to wait until bg2 to get it though. Maybe a quest or the dude cromwell will take care of it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ah, that makes sense. Have you tried upgrading any items in BG1 yet? Thalantyr and some dwarf inside Friendly Arm Inn do that. Btw I found a skeleton for Thalantyr in High Hedge. The F.A. Inn dwarf makes amazing helmets out of wyverns' heads. My entire helmet-eligible party is wearing them now.

Miss Hime
Jun 14, 2008
Voting for golden Xan and sending Xan to the Juggler.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Golden Syvishtar, replace Xzar with Xan

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

pokie posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Have you tried upgrading any items in BG1 yet? Thalantyr and some dwarf inside Friendly Arm Inn do that. Btw I found a skeleton for Thalantyr in High Hedge. The F.A. Inn dwarf makes amazing helmets out of wyverns' heads. My entire helmet-eligible party is wearing them now.

I haven't had the money or the items to upgrade yet. I know that Thalantyr will take several types of mage robes to make a combo robe, but of course he's totally fixated on Melicamp right now. I noticed a dwarf in the Friendly Arm but I didn't know he upgrades stuff. I should talk to him. And I hope I can afford a mule too!

And here's how the current votes stand:
code:
Which portrait should we use for Xan?

A. Chibi Xan            ...,,
B. WoW Xan              ,
C: Portrait Xan         
D: Anime Xan            ..
E: Golden Syvishtar     ..........,..

What should we do with Xan?

1. Minsc's spot         .............
2. Mur'neth's spot      
3. Finch's spot         
4. Imoen's spot         ..
5. Xzar's spot          ..
6. Jovial Juggler       ....
The trend is clear. I will turn my own portrait golden and leave Xan's as it is. I'll replace Minsc with Xan and continue the questline.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 30, 2011

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hey Vorgen, when you changed Xan to bladesinger did he have trouble equipping his sword? My Xan looses this ability upon conversion. Also, by Helm, modders put some tough poo poo into chapter 7 and all i got for it was a lousy full plate +3 :).

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

pokie posted:

Hey Vorgen, when you changed Xan to bladesinger did he have trouble equipping his sword? My Xan looses this ability upon conversion. Also, by Helm, modders put some tough poo poo into chapter 7 and all i got for it was a lousy full plate +3 :).

It's been a while so I may not be remembering correctly, but if nothing else works you can add the moonblade to one of his weapon slots in Shadow Keeper and it will work. I think you can do that, anyway. But it has been a while since I messed around like that in Shadowkeeper so this could be wrong.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

pokie posted:

Yes, it becomes unusable if I change his class. So what I've done is use NearInfinity to delete the class requirements on his sword so that he can equip it and then just promise myself to never let anybody else use it.

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
So Xan with his AC of 8 and 14 HP is going to be our new frontline fighter?
I don't see how this could possibly go wrong.

I love the new and fabulous Syvishtar (aka King of Bling).

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Choronzons son posted:

He can also wear studded leather, if that makes you feel any better about him...

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Choronzons son posted:

You could throw his sword at the enemies and watch their eyes turn longingly towards the information screen. Only for them to wind up dejected and depressed at how the sword is only usable by Xan, no matter how much they wanted to give it to a front line fighter. This will eventually lead to a lasting anger and hatred of the elf known as Xan.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 1, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Choronzons son posted:

Fortunately, there's a mod bringing Xan into BG2, and one of the options when installing the mod is to make Xan a fighter/mage.

For those curious, Xan is also a romance option for females. Specifically, female elves. Female half-elves can see some of the lovetalks before Xan breaks it off. Much sperging on elf lore in the Forgotten Realms ensues.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen, a friend of mine who lurks the thread is wondering what ini settings you use for the installer. Would you mind indulging him on that?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Choronzons son posted:

Xan's 2 points in Single Weapon Fighting give him a +2 bonus to AC when he's holding a single weapon. His Moonblade gives him another +1 bonus. So him just walking around naked with a Moonblade puts him at 5AC. Putting on the Chainmail +1 from Minsc drops him to 0 AC. Then he can wear the Helm of Ethical Insight (+1 AC), and the Ring of Protection +1 (also from Minsc), which both drop his AC to -2! Finally, he can wear the Girdle of Bluntness and the Gauntlets of Ogre Power because Bladesinger is a fighter kit. So we have a 15 hit point, -2AC, 15 STR, 15 DEX, 7 CON front line fighter who can Parry and Disarm with a 1d8+3 magical sword that gives him +50% fire resistance (which can be upgraded at some point in the game), and will be able to cast mage spells almost exactly like a fighter/mage when we get him to level 8. Plus there is some special Bladeweaver Chain that we can buy one day which reduces his casting time for all spells to 0 and has -4 AC or something crazy like that. I really, really like Xan and I hope we can keep him through a significant part of BG1 and BG2. I'd actually like to finish ToB with him, but of course that's up to the thread.

Cooked Auto posted:

Vorgen, a friend of mine who lurks the thread is wondering what ini settings you use for the installer. Would you mind indulging him on that?

ini settings for the installer... could you tell me which file exactly you're interested in? There are a lot of ini files. I didn't modify any of them, though, I just ran the BiG World Setup as it came and followed its instructions.

And check this out:

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 1, 2011

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Vorgen posted:

I really, really like Xan and I hope we can keep him through a significant part of BG1 and BG2.

:sigh: I thought you were cool Vorgen.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I don't have content for tonight but I have updated all the character summaries with the story so far. If there's anything you'd like to change or add please let me know. I actually wish this could be its own post under the OP, because I'm hitting up against the character limit for the few posts I have up there right now. Is it possible to move posts to the beginning of a thread?

Chapter of the Heroes - Characters who have fought, are fighting, or will fight by our side if asked.

Branwen: A human Battleguard of Tempus. She was a statue in the middle of the Nashkel Carnival. We bought a Stone to Flesh scroll from a nearby gnome and turned her back to normal. She was grateful and agreed to join our battle party, and she didn't care what we were fighting. I liked her right away! She has told Viconia she thinks drow battle tactics are cowardly. She also recently asked me if I ever doubted myself. She seemed both shocked and relieved when I said I doubted myself all the time. When we got to Bear River an Ogre Berseker killed her in the middle of combat, and we let her rest in favor of using Kagain.

Bub Snikt: A human berserker. Met him in the woods of the Northern Coast Way. Told us to keep low and quiet, that he could smell ogres on the breeze. We offered to let him join the party, and he said okay. Prefers dual-wielding daggers. Sounds southern, as in southern hemisphere. Doesn't talk much. After clearing the road between Beregost and Nashkel of bandits, we let him have some R&R at the Jovial Juggler and took Rose back under our wing.

Dynaheir: A human sorceress. She had been captured by gnolls and was being held at the Gnoll Stronghold being forced to do god-knows-what in their fighting pits. Minsc recruited our party of myself, Imoen, Shar-Teel, Viconia, and Gavin to aid him in rescuing her. In the same village we met Edwin, who hired us to aid him in killing her. We also took him on but didn't promise anything. When we finally rescued her, 22 days later, we told her and Edwin to keep their personal disagreements to themselves, and considered the matter closed. She immediately asked us if we had seen her journal, which we had not. We stopped by the Dryad Falls on our way back to Beregost, and met up again with Drizzt, who asked us about a parchment he had found on some gnolls. It turned out to be one page of Dynaheir's journal. We agreed to split up and search the area for one day, then meet back up and see what we had found. Soon after Drizzt left, we were found by some gnolls that looked peaceful. They gave us a warning that the Old One had ordered many gnolls to find Dynaheir, and each had a piece of her journal with them. We accepted their warning, searched for the journal, but we needn't have bothered. Drizzt found it, and us, several days later. During that time Dynaheir mysteriously died for no discernible reason, except that we all know it was Edwin. Also, Edwin later tried to steal Dynaheir's journal, but was thwarted by its ward and cryptographic scribblings. When it was time to go to the Nashkel Mines, we chose to let Dynaheir rest at the Jovial Juggler for a while.

Edwin: A human conjurer. By virtue of an heirloom amulet he is the most powerful mage in existence, able to cast 2 extra spells per level. We met him on the bridge over the river in Nashkel where he said he wanted to kill the witch Dynaheir. We told him he could travel with us but we would not promise anything about killing. Minsc said he would keep an eye on him. He has been trying to position himself as the superior mage in the party, and I've been trying to shut him down in turn. When we finally found Dynaheir, he became quite upset that I didn't kill her. He must have poisoned her or something himself because she dropped dead a few days later and I had to resurrect her. He also tried to steal her journal when she got it back, but she had warded it and he sheepishly gave it back to her. The man is getting on my ever-loving nerves. I've left him at the Jovial Juggler to relax. Hopefully it will mellow him out.

Finch: A gnome Priest of Deneir. An extremely happy miniature librarian stereotype. Confirmed that unfortunately she does not come with a stand mount. Met briefly in Candlekeep gardens. Actually said "anyhoo" in conversation. Met her again at the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost where she helped us kill Karlat, a dwarf mercenary trying to collect on the bounty on my head. Joined up with us after the fight. Apparently she and Imoen have some history from Candlekeep. She punched Imoen in the head after Imoen glued a book together that she was reading. At level 1 she was also the juggernaut of destruction against Bassilus in the Red Canyons, destroying his undead with dialogue and Dooming him to succumb to the party's assault. She tried her hand out at co-tanking with Shar-Teel and then Ajantis, resulting in several deaths for her. It turns out that she recognizes Ajantis from Waterdeep, where they both grew up, although in very different circles. She was the ninth of seventeen gnomish children in a house much too small. She and Ajantis had a nice conversation about home nevertheless. She served us faithfully until she died against Rhialto while wielding the Flame of the North. We gave her some R&R at the Jovial Juggler and picked up Jaheira in her place. When it was time to go to the Nashkel Mines, we picked her up again and, with Viconia, she backed us up with healing. She became the lone healer when we switched Viconia out for Mur'neth. She distrusts Boo, Minsc's animal companion, because she thinks his rodent instincts will take over and he'll start chewing on her books. Minsc assured her this was not the case. Unfortunately during the ultimate battle at the bottom of the mines, she tried to heal Minsc while he was in a berserk state and he struck her down with one blow. We raised her and dropped her and Minsc both off at the Jovial Juggler.

Gavin: A human Morninglord of Lathander. We met him outside of the Song of the Morning Temple in Beregost. Very devout, and good in a fight. Older guy, and likes to talk. Very scared of giant spiders. Hinted that he was trying to raise money for someone by adventuring, but didn't go into details. When we let him go for a while, he stood guard in front of the Song of the Morning Temple waiting for us to pick him up again. After Ajantis was one-shot killed by a Kobold Captain in the Trade Way South which led to him deserting the party, we decided to pick up Gavin again and travel with him for a while longer. He wasted no time in asking me about my childhood and my hobbies, and seemed very earnestly thankful that I told him about that stuff. Weird. Since then, we've been talking about such subjects as the ultimate consequences of our actions and the possibilities of world peace. He seems like quite a thoughtful guy, if a little chatty. He eventually confessed to his secret sin, which is to being married to a complete bitch who tricked him into raising a daughter not his own and cheats on him with any rich guy whenever he's away. He seemed to think we would want him out of the party after his confession, but we said that as long as it didn't interfere with party business it doesn't matter. He seemed incredibly relieved. He has a good relationship with Keldath Ormlyr who gave us a quest to stop a mad wizard who was trying to tame basilisks to the east of the Song of the Morning Temple. We agreed to take care of it right away. We killed Mutamin and got 1000 gold from Keldath. When we un-stoned Branwen at the Nashkel Carnival we decided to give Gavin some time to see his family and let him go back to Beregost. In an alternate-reality flashback that I experienced while in the Nashkel mines, I saw myself and Gavin meeting with a temple messenger who had yet another job for us to do. I saw myself agreeing to go with him to the temple to find out the problem. I was the same color in the flashback as I am now, so perhaps it was real. Perhaps we should go?

Haiass: My wolf. I found him as a pup, next to his dead mother who had fallen down a ravine. There may or may not have been a beheading immediately before this - my memory is unclear. I raised him in secret, and by the time everybody found out I had already trained him to materialize out of thin air whenever I blew his whistle, even if he got screwed up by map transitions. This makes us inseparable. Has almost 3 times the hit points I do, making him a GREAT pet to have around. Whenever he dies, I can give his thigh bone to a cleric and resurrect him. In the Sharp Teeth Waste he was turned into stone by a Greater Basilisk, but we got him back with a Stone to Flesh scroll no problem. He fell next against the Xvarts in the Xvart Village, after fighting valiantly by Minsc's side for most of the encounter. He has also died to Ankhegs, goblins, gnolls, and almost every type of monster. We keep bringing him back because he is fearless and deadly in battle.

Imoen: A human Charming Rogue. My childhood friend, partner in crime, and a general troublemaker. She reads letters that she's not supposed to. She also followed me out of Candlekeep and pledged to keep me company until I got tired of her. Nice girl, her. When we killed Tarnesh, she picked up his spellbook and has been studying it. She created a strange book-like artifact using it that makes her more dexterous once a day. If she keeps studying that spellbook she might eventually dual-class to mage. Meanwhile she is becoming a pretty good thief, ripping off the entire city of Beregost and leaving them weaponless, potionless, and penniless. Xzar seems to enjoy freaking her out. In a conversation with Gavin, I told him that one of my hobbies was getting drunk in the taverns with Imoen. She's a great drinking buddy. When we got to Nashkel and killed the assassin waiting for us at the Nashkel Inn, I let it slip that I had been attacked by assassins within Candlekeep. She was shocked, and wanted to know why I hadn't told her. I said that I wanted to spare her the worry. She used Minsc to semi-blackmail Dynaheir into teaching her how to cast Burning Hands, and yet we still all love her.

Jaheira: A half-elf fighter/Priest of Sylvanus. A very pushy woman. She says that she and Khalid often "look into" local concerns, and she wants us to all look into what's going down in Nashkel. Lets Khalid follow her around like a lost puppy. She disapproved of us working for Silke, and reprimanded me for doing that. After some time together we decided to trade her and Khalid for Finch and Shar-Teel. She took Khalid and left for the Friendly Arm Inn without so much as a goodbye. After Finch died for the 4th time, we approached Jaheira again to join our party, which she did without being accompanied by Khalid. She immediately tried to call out Gavin for not pulling his weight in the group and not telling the party about his wife and child, even though he already had told us while she was not around. She came out of the talk looking like a complete nosy bitch. She later died to a surprise Astral Phase Spider hiding out in a cave near the Song of the Morning Temple, cut down in one round. We resurrected her, dropped her off at the Jovial Juggler, and picked up Shar-Teel instead.

Kagain: A dwarf Gladiator. Was working as a mercenary in Beregost when we walked into his office. He wanted us to look for a lost caravan, but we had already found the remains of it, and showed him Silvershield's fibula. He quickly realized he was in a heap of trouble and offered to join up with us. Wonder if he will bring that trouble with him. Spent a whole lot of time in the Jovial Juggler, but when Branwen was killed at Bear River we picked him up to replace her. Boo doesn't seem to like him, though. When we assaulted the Gnoll Stronghold, Kagain did well in combat, but eventually fell to some Dire Wolves while Held near the center of the fortress. But we were so close to completely destroying the gnolls we resurrected him and brought him back into the fight. He only left our party after we rescued Dynaheir, and is waiting back at the Jovial Juggler for us to pick him up again.

Khalid: A half-elf Duskblade. A nerdy fighter who has read up on ancient elven spellcasting techniques, and Jaheira's companion. Stutters. Gets scared a lot. Apparently a long-time friend of Gorion and interested in what's going on down in Nashkel. But mostly he's interested in everything that Jaheira is, because its just like that. Followed Jaheira to the Friendly Arm Inn when we replaced them with Finch and Shar-Teel. He would be willing to rejoin us without Jaheira, though, if we asked.

Kivan: An elf Archer. We met outside of High Hedge. Said he had been hunting bandits for the past several months and that he would be happy to join with us if we were doing the same. When pressed, said that the bandit leader Tazok had killed someone dear to him. We took him in. He keeps going on and on about his loneliness and grief at losing his wife, Deheriana, and dragging down the group. We've started to tell him to shut up. He and Shar-Teel don't get along at all. When we killed Bassilus he considered the cleric to be like himself, caught up with the spirits of the dead. Hinted that he will commit suicide after killing Tazok. We decided to give him a break at the Jovial Juggler after killing Bassilus, picking up Xzar instead.

Minsc: A human ranger. We met him near the Nashkel barracks. Carries around a miniature giant space hamster, Boo. Said that he needed to go save a woman Dynaheir from gnolls. We agreed to help, sending Rose back to the Burning Wizard Inn. Grabbed and intimidated a pickpocket into giving us our money back after he tried to pull a fast one on us in one of the gambling tents at the Nashkel Carnival. Is extremely suspicious of Edwin, watching him closely. Held the line against an unknown number of xvarts, probably over 50, with the Flame of the North. He was flanked by Haiass and my cat familiar. They died, he lived. Has been the lynchpin in our party ever since then, single-handedly destroying more gnolls than the rest of the party combined. He is overjoyed to have Dynaheir back, happy enough that he has begun telling bedtime stories to Boo. He almost told us a very embarrassing story about Dynaheir, skinny dipping, and someone stealing her clothes, but was barely stopped by Dynaheir herself. Was extremely effective against Mulahey and his minions in the ultimate fight at the bottom of the Nashkel Mines, but actually too effective. He killed Finch in a berserker rage. We had to give him a time out back at the Jovial Juggler, hopefully enough time to have Dynaheir explain to him why killing good guys is wrong. Xan took his place.

Mur'Neth: A ghaunadan Ghaunadan. A slime-shaped mockery of a man that makes hideous sounds approaching speech come out of his flapping mouth-hole. He is a loyal servant of Ghaunadaur, the evil god of oozes, slimes, and jellies, worshipped by some drow. We met him deep within the Nashkel mines, and he said he was investigating the poison that the people were using to poison the iron. He didn't care about the iron itself, but the poison was killing slimes and jellies, so his god sent him to stop it. He is very devout, and it's kinda creepy. Also he gurgles when he talks. I personally don't like him and wouldn't care if he died. We have had one conversation so far where he asserted that jellies and slimes were at the top of the food chain and if there weren't so many kobolds around his brethren wouldn't mind eating miners. Disgusting.

Rose: A half-elf White Dragon Disciple. We first saw her being accosted in the Burning Wizard Inn, but the man said she took his money. Silke had taught us the danger of a pretty face not five minutes before, so we didn't immediately side with the chick. We tried to mediate the situation, offering the man 10 gold to drop it. He did, cursing us all. After he left Rose gave us 23 gold, which was what she considered to be our cut. Clever girl. Originally from Athkatla. Wanted to become an actress in the plays in the bridge district there, but her parents never let her. That's one of the reasons why she ran away. Likes singing, and clouds, and enjoying life. Dislikes wearing armor, as it chafes her. We dropped her off at the Jovial Juggler after killing Bassilus, wanting to give Tiax a chance in the party. After clearing out the road between Beregost and Nashkel, we picked her back up as the 5th member. She was present at the slaying of Rhialto, singing all the way through and not getting hit once. She was also helpful during the slaying of the mad mage Mutamin and his basilisk and medusa armies. However, when we met Minsc, we decided to take him on and let Rose go back to the Burning Wizard.

Shar-Teel: A human Sellsword. Met us on the road to Nashkel. Challenged our best warrior to a duel. Khalid stepped up to the plate and gave her a nice, solid cut. She capitulated and joined our party. We gave her a compliment once, and she started assuming we were together. That apparently translates as her berating us for staring at her too long, and telling us about her crooked, chauvinist pig of a father Angelo. Later, she told us of her role model and mentor, the powerful and cruel mercenary Ysena, who trained her to be what she is today. During that conversation she let it slip that she worked in the slave trade. Later, in a boot-related romantic encounter, I told her I had lost interest, and it seemed like she didn't care. But she still feels something deep down inside. When we found Ajantis we decided to send her back to the Jovial Juggler in Beregost for a while, to give us some time apart. Eventually whenever we would go back there, I would manage to talk to her. I have told her my life story, and she said I was still a pox-ridden son of a pig. Considers pushing and shoving to be gestures of love. She ruthlessly slaughtered the mad mage Mutamin at the perfect time, saving the fight and allowing us to win. When we met Edwin, we decided to let Shar-Teel rest at the Jovial Juggler and pick him up instead.

Syvishtar: It's me! A young, impetuous elf Wild Mage who always thinks the Monk is out to keep him down. Haven't died yet, don't plan to. All about freedom, art, and the whims of the voices in his head (that's you). Considers spellcasting to be a partnership, where he and the magic work together to really, you know, weave, man! Has a cat familiar. Will sleep with anything female. I have learned much about myself through conversations with my fellow adventurers. I have confessed to liking heroic ballads and funny, easy to remember tunes. I also cannot whistle, something which Imoen has always made fun of. I have discovered that the voices in my head have little patience for long, drawn-out emotional dialogues, even with fellow elves. I realized that I never had time for a hobby growing up - my studies were my life in Candlekeep. I mostly studied histories. When I wasn't studying, I was touring the taverns with Imoen. I have confessed to not really caring much about religion, although after a bad experience with Ajantis I have a bit of an aversion to Helmites. I would like to make the world work together in harmony, but I don't know how to do that. I am attracted to the idea of big cities and exciting times, but I do not know when I will get to see them. I have developed an obsession with Rhialto's spellbook, for it gives me hidden, and forbidden knowledge about the weave. I realized that I am always questioning myself about every decision that I make - I'm almost needlessly paranoid. Finally, I pay very close attention to the effects of wild magic, because that's how the magic speaks to me. I have learned many lessons from the wisdom of the weave. I have learned to never try to cast crowd control spells; just go straight for the kill. The magic has also taught me that I should never cast at frightened, panicked opponents; I should only attack those attacking me. I'm starting to suspect that the weave thinks I should not cast Burning Hands, ever; it has never worked correctly. Finally, the magic seems to not like me using a bow, and prefers me to use my staff in melee. I gave my bow to Edwin, and have been using the Serpent Shaft in melee to the best of my ability. I haven't died yet! Lately, I've started calling out to Rhialto in times of need. His spellbook always saves me, and his spells always shield me. Praise him! While in the Nashkel mines, I experienced terrifying visions of paths not taken connected by a great and ancient tree. Even more people tried to kill me in these visions, and I saw my life's past going by with strange and unusual turns. Now I seem to have two memories of what has come before, and do not know which one to believe. I am also completely golden, head to toe, clothes included. I am losing faith in this tenuous illusion of reality we see around us, which is a totally unrelated and unexpected development. With Voices, the Weave, alternate realities, and the guilt of fallen comrades all weighing heavily in my mind, its a wonder I am still sane (pane, blane)!

Tiax: A gnome Strifeleader of Cyric/thief. We found him at the city center of Beregost. He recruited us into his cause of world domination without so much as an interview and has been haranguing us about it ever since. We left him at the Jovial Juggler in Beregost for a while after he exhorted us to kill more puppies and defile more temples, because he was getting annoying. But after killing Bassilus, who was also a priest of Cyric, we picked him up again because I was impressed with Bassilus' raw power. When Ajantis joined us, he disapproved of Tiax and asked me why Tiax was with us. We said Tiax entertained us, and Tiax became quite offended. He summons Ghasts, which are pretty useful in a fight. We eventually sent him back to the Jovial Juggler when we came across Bub Snikt.

Viconia: A drow Nightcloak of Shar. We met her in the Trade Way North when she ran up to us and asked us for help. We said yes, not realizing what she meant. She was being chased by a Flaming Fist mercenary who accused her of murder and demanded her death. I said he had to go through us first, and he attacked us all. We had to kill him. That night, when we had finally gotten back to the Jovial Juggler, she came to thank me for rescuing her. I got her to "thank" me in the particular drow way I had heard about. She landed the killing blow against the mad mage Rhialto, which let me loot his spellbook and gain forbidden arcane knowledge. She was also instrumental in turning the tide of battle in our favor during the fight with the mad mage Mutamin, blessing us, cursing our allies, and Knowing the last Opponent so that we could kill her without getting turned to stone. Both when we cast Stone to Flesh on Tamah near Mutamin's garden, and when we cast Stone to Flesh on Branwen at the Nashkel Carnival, Viconia fervently agreed with our actions and showed great concern for the petrified women. She stayed silent throughout most of the rescue of Dynaheir, although her heals were vital to keeping everyone alive. After we rescued Dynaheir, she became more talkative, expressing her respect for the sorceress. Dynaheir is hesitant to respond, though. When we went down into the Nashkel mines, she said they reminded her somewhat of her home. We decided to give her a break when we came across Mur'neth, as they would likely not get along. She is currently hesitantly resting at the Jovial Juggler, convinced that such a place is not good for her continued health.

Will Scarlet O'Hara: A human Troubadour. He greeted us as soon as we got to Beregost. Very helpful, nice guy. Offered to join us in our adventures, so we accepted. Wields a flail in melee and is proud of it. Has 6,000 gold worth of equipment waiting to be bought from different places around town. We left him at the Jovial Juggler despite his crazy-awesome bard song that gives everybody an extra attack per round because he doesn't talk and has a face people just want to punch.

Xan: An amazingly handsome elf bladesinger. When we killed Mulahey at the bottom of the Nashkel mines, we found Xan in one of the side caverns. He said he had been held there for 85 days, and had originally been sent to investigate the strange goings-on in this area. We had been on the road for 82 days at that point, so he had just a few days head-start on us, so to speak. He asked us if we had found his sword, and offered to join us. We took him up on his offer because we were without a reliable swordsman, since Minsc had just killed Finch in a berserker frenzy and none of us felt comfortable around him. I have only known Xan for a short while but he's just so... elven. I can tell that he knows a lot about our people, much more than I could ever know. I want to learn from him. I want to be just like him!

Xzar: Human Necromancer. Crazy dude Imoen and I met on the road right after Gorion had died. Knew that we had been attacked, offered us a healing potion and then tried to guilt us into going to Nashkel with him and his half-pint thug Montaron. With nothing better to do, we joined up with them at first. We then left him at the Jovial Juggler because we favored some other companions. When we found a mithril ring in the Ankheg pit he appropriated it for himself, saying that he was going to enchant it with 'guidance.' From what, we do not know. Teases Imoen with talk of death, and Ajantis with talk of dragons. When we met Bub Snikt, we decided to give Xzar a break and travel with Bub for a while. He didn't seem to mind at all. We picked him up again when it was time to go to the Nashkel mines. While traveling with Finch, he noticed her scribbling away in her journal and asked her what she was doing. When she replied that she was writing down everything that we said and did, he became convinced she was a spy for a nameless enemy, and refused to tell her anything.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 1, 2011

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Chapter of the Deserters - Those who have left the party permanently because they were too fed up with the direction we were taking to stay in it. They fought beside us for a while, but will do so no longer.

Ajantis: A human Cavalier. Paladin of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart and worshiper of Helm. He said he was a squire under Keldorn down in Amn, and is trying to become a knight of his own. We met him in the Lower Chionthar. He said he was hunting bandits, and we said we were too. Joined up with us. Really did not like Tiax, and questioned why he was in the party at all. I told him that Tiax amused us. He said that Tiax didn't amuse him, but he would abide by our decision for now. Has given us good advice on what to do in order to raise our reputation. Objected to protecting Viconia on legal grounds, but then realized the merc after her was out of control. Nevertheless, says he will keep his eye on the drow. It turns out that Finch and he are from the same city, and Finch heard of him while she was growing up. They had very different experiences in Waterdeep, though. He was one-shot killed by a Kobold Captain in the Trade Way South, so we hauled his corpse to the Song of the Morning Temple and resurrected him. Then we tried to give him some R&R in the Jovial Juggler, as per our new party policy. But instead, when he left he party, he said, "Associating myself with you was beneath my honor. Now excuse me, as I must cleanse myself of this entire experience." Then he walked away. We do not know where he went, and doubt he will be back.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I wish each one of these chapters could be individual posts after the OP.

Chapter of the Dead - Those who were important enough to have character portraits but have still met the final death with/at the hands of Syvishtar and company.

Bassilus: Crazed cleric of Cyric that had raised an army of skeletons and zombies in the Red Canyons west of Beregost. Syvishtar's party of Kivan, Imoen, Shar-Teel, Rose, and Finch confronted him. Finch, speaking from a Sanctuary, pretended to be his mother, until he realized that his mother was long dead. Then, accusing him of stealing other people's dead relatives for his own, Finch shocked him into releasing all of the undead, making them just regular dead. She then cast Doom upon him, opening him up to the assaults of the rest of the party, including Syvishtar's army of squirrels. He managed to take out Shar-Teel with a Glyph of Warding before an arrow from Kivan ended his life.

Caravan Bandit Leader: This hottie told us it was nothing personal as she and her cronies attacked us just south of the Friendly Arm Inn. Her group managed to take out Eldoth, Imoen, and Khalid before we put her down. Tough fight. We recovered Shivershield's fibula from her corpse.

Eldoth: A human Musician that we inexplicably bumped into in the woods south of the Friendly Arm Inn. He gave us some great booze, and told us of a plan he had to free his lover, Skie, from the evil clutches of her baron father and blackmail him as well. He offered his services to us until we made it to Baldur's Gate. We accepted. However, a few minutes later we stumbled into a fight with the Caravan Bandit Leader, who killed him, Imoen, and Khalid. We only had enough money to raise the other two.

Gorion: My foster father. Taught me Magic Missile, raised me well. Cut down by some goddamn Armored Figure in the dead of night while we tried to travel to the safety of friends. I miss him, even though I feel like I barely know him.

Greywolf: A mercenary hired by the city of Nashkel to hunt down Prism and return the gems he stole. My party of Minsc, Imoen, Shar-Teel, Branwen, and Viconia got to Prism first and agreed to protect him while he finished his masterpiece, a carving of the face of Ellesime on the side of the cliff. He used emeralds for the glint in her eyes. When Greywolf showed up, we told him that we were protecting Prism. Shar-Teel had a history with him, because he betrayed her mentor Ysena to the Flaming Fists over some disagreement. He attacked us and chunks flew everywhere - his chunks.

Korax the Ghoul: A ghoul we met in the Sharp Teeth Waste who wanted to be our friend. Started following us around. He's immune to a basilisk's gaze so he was very useful. He helped us in the big fight against Mutamin, tanking two basilisks and a medusa while we took care of the mage. He was nice up until the point where we went to sleep, when he attacked us. We had to put him down.

Marl: A drunken, angry fool at the Feldpost Inn. Got in our faces about being adventurers. Said he hated adventurers tramping around all high and mighty, bringing trouble to his town. The party was going to ignore him until he punched Imoen in the face, almost killing her. Syvishtar killed him with the Serpent Shaft.

Montaron: A halfling Thug. Unkind and manipulative. Followed the necromancer Xzar around and said rude things. Died a few hours later when we were ambushed by a pack of hobgoblins. Took out two before he fell. We left his body on a cliffside promontory, near where Gorion was slain.

Mulahey: Some kind of evil cleric at the lowest level of the Nashkel mines. Maybe a half-orc. He might have had multiple personalities, because at first he would speak almost reasonably to us, then he would call us fools and say we would all die. He also asked us for mercy, and when we agreed to spare his life he again called us fools and summoned more enemies. Our party of Minsc, Mur'neth, Finch, Imoen, and Xzar put him down. Unfortunately Minsc, in a berserker frenzy, killed Finch during the fight. After we killed him we found some letters that said he was tasked by someone named Tazok to poison all the iron that left the mines. He was given a veritable kobold army to accomplish this task. But the kobolds were getting out of control and killing the miners, which made Tazok angry, and attracted us. Mulahey did not survive the encounter.

Rhialto the Marvelous: A wild mage hanging around outside the walls of Candlekeep. Wanted to extract my spleen and use it as a spell component. A vision of thousands of future fights with him, which I all lost, sent me away from his presence screaming. Later, I came back stronger with Imoen, Finch, Viconia, Gavin, and Rose. Together, we killed him and looted his equipment and spellbook. His spellbook is hard to figure out, but has slowly been revealing its arcane secrets to me. Unfortunately, Finch died during the fight.

Tarnesh: A human wizard and bounty hunter waiting for me on the steps of the Friendly Arm Inn. Tried to assault Syvishtar, Imoen, and Xzar as they wearily walked up. An arrow from Xzar's longbow was his doom. Imoen took his spellbook and has been studying it.

Tenya: A priestess of Umberlee that lives next to the Baldur's Gate bridge, on the outside shore. Some farmers hired us to go "kill that Umberlee bitch," but Ajantis cautioned us that all might not be as it seemed. When we approached her she immediately guessed that the fishermen had hired us. We confessed to that, but said we were just trying to figure out what was going on. Unfortunately she attacked us anyway and we had to kill her.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Chapter of Notable People - Characters important enough to have portraits.

Armored Figure: This bastard killed my foster father, Gorion. He's going to go down, hard and fast, when I get my Magic on him.

Bentley Mirrorshade: The owner of the Friendly Arm Inn. Quiet, non-talkative, friendly dwarf.

Bjornin: A paladin resting up in the Jovial Juggler in Beregost. Was recently defeated by a band of half-ogres southwest of Beregost. Asked us to get his vengeance. We said we'd keep an eye out. We found the half-ogres at Fisherman's Lake and the party of Bub Snikt, Finch, Imoen, Gavin, and Viconia took them out without any injuries. He was very grateful to us and offered us a shield. We accepted. We have been trying to bribe him into joining our party ever since.

Chase: A spoiled rich kid that the party met while exploring. He threatened to jump off the cliffs next to Candlekeep. We said go ahead, and he ran off in a huff. Not sure if we'll see him again.

Courtesan: A strumpet hanging out outside the Feldpost Inn at night in Beregost. Called us a cheeky monkey.

Drienne: A little girl in the Dryad Falls who asked us to look for her missing cat. We realized that we had already picked it up at the bottom of the falls, and it was dead. The poignancy of the scene caused me to break down about my own dead familiar, and I bawled like a baby.

Drizzt: A dark-skinned elf who was in the middle of killing gnolls at Fisherman's Lake. Invited us to help him, and then massacred them all by himself. Gave us some advice about the bandit activity in the area and hinted that we might meet again someday. Later, after we had rescued Dynaheir, he showed up looking a little... different, and gave us a scroll from some gnolls he killed. The scroll turned out to be a page from Dynaheir's journal, and she asked for help in finding the rest. We split up and searched for it, Drizzt going one way and us going another. A few days later he caught up with us, and gave us the rest of the journal that he had found. Pretty nice, resourceful guy. I think he's wearing some Boots of Speed. Either that or he's permanently hopped up on potions, because he moves twice as fast as the rest of us.

Dryad of the Cloudpeaks: She asked us to help protect her tree from two dumb guys, Caldo and Krumm. We tried talking to them but they attacked us instead, so we put them down. She was thankful and gave us an antidote for our troubles. I was kinda hoping for a barkjob.

Farmer Brun: A farmer in the Lower Chionthar who had a big problem with missing cattle. We entered a big pit in the ground and found Ankhegs. We cleared them out for him. He was grateful. Unfortunately, his son died down there, and we found the body. We returned it to him, and he was again grateful, but said his farm would now die because he was too old to have another son and too poor to hire labor. At Ajantis' urging, we managed to give him 100 gold and our reputation was raised by 1 point.

Firebead Elvenhair: A frequenter of Candlekeep, Imoen and I often saw him in the Candlekeep Inn. We saw him again in Beregost, where he said something about us being a bookworm and that we should speak later on about history and literature. Many months later, in a vision of Syvishtar of alternate realities and paths-not-taken, Firebead paid a very young Imoen and Syvishtar to buy him a book, the History of the Fateful Coin, at a nearby Inn. There is some doubt as to whether this really happened or not.

Galtok: A gnome or halfling who ran up to us near the Nashkel mines. He asked us to help him against kobolds who were chasing him. They had been torturing him for hours after stealing all his equipment. We killed the kobolds, but Viconia's approval of the idea of torture sent him running away from us, screaming of her evil.

Garrick: A naive young human bard who approached us outside the Burning Wizard Inn in order to hire us as mercenaries to protect his employer, Silke Rosena. Not seen again from after the ensuing fight, and more specifically the wild magic Horror that popped during it.

Gatewarden: The warden at Candlekeep who taught Imoen and I to fight. This is why we are so good at tactical encounters - we rely on his wisdom.

Gellana Mirrorshade: Bentley's wife, and the priestess of the Temple of Wisdom at the Friendly Arm Inn. Also not talkative, but friendly. I think she's a gnome.

Gerde: Some kinda nature-type we ran across in the Lower Chionthar. She seemed to be an expert on Ankhegs, and told us all about them and to respect the environment and how they were good for crop yields. Unfortunately she told that to us after we had ruthlessly slaughtered the lot of them.

Good Gnoll: Leader of a pack of gnolls who had touched Dynaheir's journal and had their alignment changed by its ward. Warned us that the Old One had sent many gnoll packs after us. Dynaheir forbade me from killing him, and he led his pack of gnolls away.

Joia: A lady who lives next to the front gate of the Friendly Arm Inn. She lost a ring, which we found on some hobgoblins nearby. When we returned it to her she pronounced us a good sort and promised to say so to anyone who asks. She raised our reputation by 1 point.

Karaea Harfurthock: A svirfneblin shopkeeper that we found in Nashkel between the Inn and the Store. She sells jam and boots, both magical. Has a brother down in Amn who is supposedly cursed and very irritable. But she likes the surface.

Keldath Ormlyr: High Priest at the Song of the Morning Temple in Beregost. Has a good selection of spells and items available. Told us of the madman Bassilus who is nearby. Rewarded us with 2500 gold when we killed Bassilus! He later sent a messenger to find Gavin, bringing us back to the temple. He gave us a quest to stop a mad wizard Mutamin who was trying to tame basilisks east of the temple.

Lake Poet Rob: A bard at the Belching Dragon Tavern who is offering to basically intimidate people for us, making us more feared and evil-sounding than we actually are, lowering our reputation. We passed him up on that.

Lake Poet Sam: A bard at the Friendly Arm Inn who is offering the same thing as his brother.

Landrin: A tiny woman at the Friendly Arm Inn who said she had a spider infestation in her house in Beregost. Offered to pay us 100 gold to get rid of them. Our first real quest ever! When we turned it in she gave us bonuses for finding her boots and some wine. We made bank.

Perdue: A gnome at the Red Sheaf Inn who is looking for a big guy with a dog's head. Weird. In the High Hedge, we actually ran across some Gnolls, which are dog-headed monsters. We killed them and they dropped his short sword. When we returned it to him he grudgingly gave us 50 gold. He caught Rose trying to pickpocket him for more cash later but she was able to talk her way out of it.

Rashel the Sunray: A sirine standing in the courtyard of the Song of the Morning Temple east of Beregost. We asked her about the surrounding region and she was quite knowledgeable. Syvishtar asked her out to dinner, but she said her heart, and all her time, belonged to the Morning Lord. Syvishtar was never more jealous of godhood.

Silke: A beautiful actress we met in front of the Red Sheaf Inn. She had gotten Garrick to hire us as mercenaries to protect her in some kind of deal. We killed the ruffians and got paid.

Taerom Fuiruim: Blacksmith of the Thunderhammer Smithy in Beregost. Pretty nice guy, frustrated with the iron problems. Buys all our scrap without protest.

Thalantyr: Resident human wizard of the High Hedge, just west of Beregost. Haughty. Only interested in magical items. Has a sweet stash of extremely expensive gear. We found a talking chicken that called itself Melicamp and sent us to Thalantyr, who recognized him. Melicamp confessed to stealing some gauntlets from Thalantyr. The gauntlets turned Melicamp into a chicken. Thalantyr said that if we could find a skull, he could use it in a strange ritual to bring Melicamp back to life. We have been searching for a skull so far without luck. We have also been using all the jewelry and rings we can find to bribe him into liking us more.

Unshey: A talkative little woman who ran into some ogres south of the Friendly Arm Inn. She claims that they had a belt fetish and she had to give them her girdle to get away with her life. She kindof implied that we should get it back for her, but did not explicitly ask or offer a reward. Not a good quest-giver. We gave her back the belt and she paid us money for a bath, saying we stank.

Volo: A talkative bard we met in the Belching Dragon Tavern in Nashkel. Seemed to know everything about everything that's been going on. Told us quite a lot.

Winthrop: Innkeeper at the Candlekeep Inn. Imoen and I grew up with him. He thinks he's funny. Imoen thinks he's good for teasing. Not quite sure why he has a portrait, but hey here he is!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 1, 2011

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Cool new portrait, Vorgen. I still think Xan needs to become anime or chibi, though.

EDIT: So we're not adding Garrick back to our roster?

EDIT 2: Thorengrim Hammerfist's description is incomplete.

ETB fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 1, 2011

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen posted:

ini settings for the installer... could you tell me which file exactly you're interested in? There are a lot of ini files. I didn't modify any of them, though, I just ran the BiG World Setup as it came and followed its instructions.

Aha. He thought you had changed some things in the files but I guess that assumption was incorrect then.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

ETB posted:

Cool new portrait, Vorgen. I still think Xan needs to become anime or chibi, though.

EDIT: So we're not adding Garrick back to our roster?

EDIT 2: Thorengrim Hammerfist's description is incomplete.

I was planning on casually running into Garrick when we got back to civilization. And we haven't actually met Thorengrim Hammerfist yet so I should take that out, heh.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Vorgen posted:

And check this out:

...aaaand now you need a new avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
^^^ Yes indeed!

So that is where all our magically departed gold has gone. You were keeping it the entire time and using it for 'realistic' paint, while saying "No guys, really, it wasn't me, it was the magic!"

You win THIS round... :nixon:

• Locked thread