Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the worst example of Ira's feigned surprise is in the history of money story, or maybe in the banking collapse story, where he acts surprised that, *gasp*, venture capital exists. He's a man in his 50s. He must think we're a bunch of dumb teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think it's more likely that he's making sure the show is approachable by a wide swath of people insulting you specifically.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

UltraRed posted:

I think the worst example of Ira's feigned surprise is in the history of money story, or maybe in the banking collapse story, where he acts surprised that, *gasp*, venture capital exists. He's a man in his 50s. He must think we're a bunch of dumb teenagers.

Uh financial stuff is a very nebulous concept even to a lot of well versed people, unless your job is literally 'understand financial systems and monetary law' it can be incredibly dense and confusing. I guess you can take it as 'dumb teenagers' stuff if you wanna be a big baby but yea, if you're describing financial poo poo it's best to assume your audience has no grasp of the major concepts because chances are they don't.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

UltraRed posted:

If this brand of feigned incredulity bothers you, never ever listen to Radiolab.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Chas McGill posted:

If this brand of feigned incredulity bothers you, never ever listen to Radiolab.

However, if you enjoy cool stereo effect intros then Radiolab is the show for you!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I actually really liked Radiolab because it sounded fresh when I first listened to it, yet now I find its style completely obnoxious, particularly how the hosts will quote the interviewee rather than let them speak for themselves. One of the good things about Ira is how he's able to let a story breathe and stand on its own without too much radio massaging.

This is one of my favourite TALs:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/172/24-hours-at-the-golden-apple

24hrs at the Golden Apple, a diner in Chicago. The team take turns interviewing patrons over a 24hr period.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Glitterbomber posted:

Uh financial stuff is a very nebulous concept even to a lot of well versed people, unless your job is literally 'understand financial systems and monetary law' it can be incredibly dense and confusing. I guess you can take it as 'dumb teenagers' stuff if you wanna be a big baby but yea, if you're describing financial poo poo it's best to assume your audience has no grasp of the major concepts because chances are they don't.

More to the point when "The Giant Pool of Money" first aired, the talking point across the media at large was, "this whole mess is too complicated for us normal folk to understand, we should leave it to the experts" when that line was a giant pile of bullshit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Solkanar512 posted:

More to the point when "The Giant Pool of Money" first aired, the talking point across the media at large was, "this whole mess is too complicated for us normal folk to understand, we should leave it to the experts" when that line was a giant pile of bullshit.

Oh yea, forgot, yea when they first aired there was a heavy mantra of 'us common folk can't ever grasp those crazy money talks!' so yea I get him feeling the need to handhold.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite act aired years ago; 10-12 or maybe more. I don't remember the theme, but the act was about a guy who impersonated Willie Nelson. Bizarre, touching, and sad all at the same time.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

My favorite act aired years ago; 10-12 or maybe more. I don't remember the theme, but the act was about a guy who impersonated Willie Nelson. Bizarre, touching, and sad all at the same time.

as it happens, you're in luck. I just listened that episode in my slow process of listening to every episode in order.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/185/golden-calf

Incidentally, I just got to the series of episodes they did right after 9/11. Not the cheeriest ones they've ever done.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
This week's podcast was excellent. I usually hate the poultry slam episodes, but this years was great.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

Only episode I can think of that left me actually furious when I had finished it.

Right to Remain Silent is up there. Part 2 is about a cop who secretly records his corrupt superiors and in the end absolutely no justice is served.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Doodarazumas posted:

Right to Remain Silent is up there. Part 2 is about a cop who secretly records his corrupt superiors and in the end absolutely no justice is served.

As an update ton that story, everyone involved STILL works there currently.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Wow the second story in #453: Nemeses is the gooniest thing I've ever heard.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hollis Brown posted:

Wow the second story in #453: Nemeses is the gooniest thing I've ever heard.

Was that the Rutger's vs Princeton one? That one made me kinda sad.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Just listened to the new Christmas and Commerce one, it's probably my overall favourite episode ever. There are individual stories I like better but I really liked everything in this. David Sedaris' Santaland Diary was really, really great. A few people were complaining about overexposure of him earlier in the thread, but I don't know much about him and that might have been the first thing of his I've heard. A couple of lines in the Christmas Freud part were fantastic too.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Just listened to Nemeses, the "THEIR NAME IS FRAMSKY TOO, MOTHERFUCKER." line cracked me up. Sure it's probably fake, but whatever.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
This week's episode about one Apple fan's trip to Foxconn is loving heartbreaking. I know it's not just Apple that uses them, but loving hell.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My itunes didn't update this week, and I checked multiple times. That pisses me off (1st world problems). Is it the neighborhood watch one?

jxfallout
Jul 3, 2010

UltraRed posted:

My itunes didn't update this week, and I checked multiple times. That pisses me off (1st world problems). Is it the neighborhood watch one?

That was last week's episode:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/420/neighborhood-watch

Here's this week's:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/454/mr-daisey-and-the-apple-factory

It even says for this week's episode, "MP3 AVAILABLE SUNDAY 7PM", which would explain why the podcast isn't yet available (I have no idea when they started airing it on radio though).

jxfallout fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 7, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Listened to a good majority of today's episode; absolutely phenomenal and definitely a keeper much like the Schoolcraft episode.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
I had the good fortune to see Daisey's full show in person - really amazing, worth seeing if it's in your area. The full show explores more of the ecstasy part of the equation, and how that only makes the agony worse. You really get a sense of deep admiration for Jobs and his work - I saw it before Jobs passed away, so I imagine it will have a somewhat different flavor now.

Ira had a tough act to follow, but it was neat to hear people much more qualified than me talk about the matter, and to hear a more intellectual approach compared to the emotion-charged approach of Act I. Definitely a great episode.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Solkanar512 posted:

This week's episode about one Apple fan's trip to Foxconn is loving heartbreaking. I know it's not just Apple that uses them, but loving hell.
Yeah, when I listened to it, I originally acted smug as a non-Apple fan until I looked online and found out most of the electronics I own may have been made at Foxconn. Kinda made me feel like poo poo, especially because I chose most of it because it was the cheapest price at the time.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

kuddles posted:

Yeah, when I listened to it, I originally acted smug as a non-Apple fan until I looked online and found out most of the electronics I own may have been made at Foxconn. Kinda made me feel like poo poo, especially because I chose most of it because it was the cheapest price at the time.

If they weren't made at Foxconn, then they were made at a place exactly like it next door.

I saw Mike Daisey's show live, and it was breath-taking. Haven't heard the episode yet, but you can't get much better material to base radio on.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
About halfway through this week's episode, and holy poo poo, the program in Act 2 sounds like just an incredible waste of time and money. Hey, we spent 3+ months of multiple police officer salaries to catch a bunch of high school kids with a small amount of pot and stick them with felonies. Keeping the streets safe!

jxfallout
Jul 3, 2010

CDOR Gemini posted:

About halfway through this week's episode, and holy poo poo, the program in Act 2 sounds like just an incredible waste of time and money. Hey, we spent 3+ months of multiple police officer salaries to catch a bunch of high school kids with a small amount of pot and stick them with felonies. Keeping the streets safe!

I actually felt bad for the student in that story (assuming he was being truthful).
High school students doing stupid things to impress the opposite sex? Why I never! :downs:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Yeah that whole story just rubbed me the wrong way. What a crock of poo poo from local PD, going under cover to catch pot dealers in high school? And again, just so we're clear, THEY HAD TO GO UNDERCOVER FOR 3 MONTHS TO FIND 31 POT DEALERS IN A HIGH SCHOOL!

If the kids grades were what the show said they were, and I assume they were because that's easy to verify, then the arrest did more harm to the kid than pot ever could. What a bunch of dicks cops can be.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

jxfallout posted:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/454/mr-daisey-and-the-apple-factory

It even says for this week's episode, "MP3 AVAILABLE SUNDAY 7PM", which would explain why the podcast isn't yet available (I have no idea when they started airing it on radio though).

For a less emotional, but still utterly fascinating, look at the electronics work that's going overseas, check out this New York Times article.

quote:

Apple executives say that going overseas, at this point, is their only option. One former executive described how the company relied upon a Chinese factory to revamp iPhone manufacturing just weeks before the device was due on shelves. Apple had redesigned the iPhone’s screen at the last minute, forcing an assembly line overhaul. New screens began arriving at the plant near midnight.

A foreman immediately roused 8,000 workers inside the company’s dormitories, according to the executive. Each employee was given a biscuit and a cup of tea, guided to a workstation and within half an hour started a 12-hour shift fitting glass screens into beveled frames. Within 96 hours, the plant was producing over 10,000 iPhones a day.

“The speed and flexibility is breathtaking,” the executive said. “There’s no American plant that can match that.”

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

CDOR Gemini posted:

I'm surprised the word "entrapment" didn't show up at any point during that story

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Sometime we will listen to TAL in the car on long road trips, and while I enjoy the content there are two audio things that are annoying. 1) Ira's voice is really "clicky clacky" to me, and it make him hard to understand sometimes and 2) the whole show in general could use ... compression? It's too raw, and the contrasts in the audio are distracting, even to the point of having to turn the volume up or down constantly. It doesn't bother my wife, so maybe it's just the car audio or maybe I'm just deaf. I just can't believe I'm the only one in the world.

It's probably your car - the show is really well-produced, their engineers are great. After the content's done, an engineer goes over everything.

Solkanar512 posted:

I bet you 99% of people still have no loving idea what caused the financial crisis. That episode is just one part of a complex story - IIRC, they didn't even go into the CDS market that much - and yeah, it's really complicated.

Farts Domino posted:

I'm surprised the word "entrapment" didn't show up at any point during that story

Most of the drug war is fought with entrapment and illegal searches (of minorities). Turns out it's awful in every way, who knew?

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 15, 2012

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
Great job, cops. Pretend to be attracted to an 18 year old then force him into buying you marijuana. Then arrest that dirty DRUG DEALER!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Farts Domino posted:

I listened to this earlier and I thought the same thing.

Shane-O-Mac posted:

Great job, cops. Pretend to be attracted to an 18 year old then force him into buying you marijuana. Then arrest that dirty DRUG DEALER!

The police literally ruined that kid's life. His prospects have been destroyed over $25 of weed. I found it absolutely disgusting.

IrishWolfMan
Apr 21, 2002

Few have looked upon the face of Liface and lived.
Agreed. He was going to go into the military, but now won't be accepted due to the felony. Sickening.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Blackula69 posted:

I bet you 99% of people still have no loving idea what caused the financial crisis. That episode is just one part of a complex story - IIRC, they didn't even go into the CDS market that much - and yeah, it's really complicated.

The second episode in that series, "Another Frightening Show About The Economy" did just that. There are like half a dozen with Planet Money, including a ride along with the FDIC when they close down a bank. That was pretty loving incredible.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I know, I'm just saying - it takes hours to tell, and most people still don't get it. So obviously cut the producers some slack for making it as simple as possible.

Also, I haven't listened to the episode yet - where in the hell is a gram of weed a felony? That's ridiculous

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Blackula69 posted:

Also, I haven't listened to the episode yet - where in the hell is a gram of weed a felony? That's ridiculous

When you do something in America near a school, the penalty goes up 500 percent. It wasn't a possession charge it, was dealing, which is a stiff penalty within 1000 feet of a school.

It's still bullshit

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Solkanar512 posted:

There are like half a dozen with Planet Money, including a ride along with the FDIC when they close down a bank. That was pretty loving incredible.

Yeah, that was a really great and surreal show. Same as the one where they visit the place where the FED "prints" money.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Decius posted:

Yeah, that was a really great and surreal show. Same as the one where they visit the place where the FED "prints" money.

If you think the FED adding money tot he economy is trippy, download all of planet money and go from the beginning.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So the second part of the Play Your Part show this Sunday played like a comedy act that should have been called, "So You've Married a Sociopath". The couple sounds like the oddball neighbors but if you think about their situation it's kind of hosed up. The guy flat out said he feels no emotions of his own, his just studies, learns and mimics the behavior of other people.

And how obtuse would a person have to be to work for a school tailored for asperger kids and 6 years pass before you becomes familiar with traits associated with this disorder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

Decius posted:

What episode is this? I have a huge Planet Money backlog that I'll probably never get around to listening to, but I'd like to hear this.

• Locked thread