Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

I ran into an elderly couple who feed the cats at catte village, and they called this pair Mister and Sister. Sister (I think) is the one in the top pic, and she can't possibly have been a stray for long. It only took a couple times giving her treats for her to roll over and let me rub her belly. She has the softest fur you could imagine, and the thought that someone just dumped her there makes me want to murder.

Btw did I ever post this:
?

Probably cat food by now tho', he was hoppin' around not a few hundred feet from catte village

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

dunkman posted:

IMG_5562.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_5007.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

Haha, welp!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Somebody's looking for a home for this catte. I want it so bad but I don't want to go over the two cat limit.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
gently caress that limit

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Cats are the best.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Radio Paranoia posted:

Somebody's looking for a home for this catte. I want it so bad but I don't want to go over the two cat limit.

that catte is literally saying "you have alimit? there is a limit? gently caress dat limit!"

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Ribby status:

My sister says she's hobbling about but otherwise a-ok. Their other cat, Nova, has been very attentive. :3:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Radio Paranoia posted:

look at that fuckin' nose :xd:

Aw fuck.
Jun 30, 2007

Using Ubuntu
is awesome

ahhh spiders posted:

prlrl is the best catte noise

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my catte doesn't really audibly purr (he purrs, but it can only really be heard in his breathing or if you put your ear right on his belly), so i always forget what purring is like until i meet someone else's catte.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yesterday morning I was petting my catte and he was purry and rubby and great, and it dawned on me, as it occasioanally does, that there's a living breathing creature that depends on me to keep it alive :stare:

Also, I have a catte :3:

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

DNova posted:

Haha, welp!

Hope you got :tenbux: x2

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

i am back ergo trophy pics are back

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Yesterday morning I was petting my catte and he was purry and rubby and great, and it dawned on me, as it occasioanally does, that there's a living breathing creature that depends on me to keep it alive :stare:

Also, I have a catte :3:

My ex has a standing order that if she doesn't get a text from me letting her know that I'm alive every 2 days she is to immediately go and check up on my dog.

I would be devastated if something happened to me and nobody knew my dog was starving in my apartment (well, I'd probably be dead, but you get the idea)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is trophy a youngun

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

is trophy a youngun

she just turned 4, these pics are from when she was young i'm doing a bit of a retrospective right now

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I want kittens :( But I'm pretty sure I'd come home to find two half-kittens near esteban's food dish.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Pissflaps posted:

This loving pair.

Watch out for them.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Trophy :3:

Esteban :3:

Magda :3:

Gaycattes :3:

All other Yoscattes :3:

Cats :3:

Edit: vvvv Cheese :3:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 30, 2011

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I promised a few months ago to make a big Cheese effortpost some day, and since the cat show thread ends today I've decided to go ahead and do it for that. I'm posting in here too, since this is where it really belongs.

In the early spring of 1994, our little cat Noi went into heat and snuck out of the house the day before we were going to get her spayed. After a week or so went by, we were beginning to give up hope that she would come back. Late one night, though, our other cat Claude ran to the door and started freaking out. We opened the door and Noi came sauntering in, and you could tell simply by her attitude that she had been out slutting it up all week. We were going to have kittens shortly.

We liked Claude a lot at the time, although later he aged into one of the most relentlessly obnoxious cats I have ever known. We determined that, if there was a little black kitten, we would keep it and name it Microclaude (Mikey for short). All the others were going to go.

Cut to a few months later, and Noi left five little furballs under our sink.

We really only planned to keep Mikey, the little black lump in the middle you can barely make out. It very quickly became clear that the two in front here were just awesome little balls of personality, though, and we decided to just relax into it and have WAY too many cats. The one on the left became known as Evil, because she was just so drat cute that she could never get in trouble for anything and knew it. The one on the right became known as Cheeseball, aka Cheese, aka The Best loving Cat Who Ever Lived I Don’t Give A poo poo What You Say.

You’ve seen this video, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WVBo2Wp6fo

Cheese would do that whenever we tried to confine the kittens to a room so we could get some sleep. We’d lock them all in there, and five minutes later Cheese would be on the bed purring his rear end off, so satisfied that he had beaten the system. He’d also open cabinet doors and then crawl into drawers, so sometimes you’d go to get a spoon and find a cat in the silverware drawer. He did general teenage cat things:

Even more than that, though, there was just this way he interacted with people that made you feel like he was thinking in a way that most cats don’t. He was completely unafraid of people, even complete strangers in large groups. A friend once called him The Ambassador For All Cats, because that’s how he acted. If you came into his house or yard, he had to go over and say hi – not a territorial “checking you out”, but more of a “hey there, welcome to my house, would you like a cat to pet?” He was a friend to everyone who met him, and even people who didn’t like cats liked Cheese. My wife’s family is Hispanic and as a rule has no use for cats, but even they would pretty much always ask “Como esta Queso?” when they’d call, before they’d even ask how we were doing.

At about a year old, Cheese started getting sick. At first he couldn’t hold his food down, and finally it got so bad that he couldn’t even hold down water. My wife and I had NO money – we were working at a lovely little restaurant called Po Folks, which is (believe it or not) a downscale version of Cracker Barrel. We made $2.18 an hour plus tips, which, since our clientele were mostly rednecks, amounted to about $2.19 an hour. The apartment we rented cost $175 a month, if that tells you anything. Don’t get me started on the crackheads who lived behind us or the guy next door who would tell us he could hear us having sex through the walls, and liked it. Back to the point – we had no money at all to take care of a sick cat. We loved him so much, though, that we just had to. We begged and borrowed enough to do what needed to be done.

We took him to the vet, and they quickly diagnosed him with IBD. We put him on prednisone and tried switching foods, but it just got worse and worse. He kept having flare-ups, and they were getting more severe with time – we started seeing blood in his vomit, and he would just be sick for days on end, a sad little loaf of twigs wrapped in fur. We were taking him to the vet on a monthly basis. Eventually it got so bad that the vet recommended we put him down, and we were inclined to agree. We asked if there was anything else we could do, and he said that an endoscopy would be really informative, but probably financially out of the question given our financial situation. We borrowed money and maxed out our one credit card because (A) we were idiots, and (B) we were freaking crazy about this cat.

The endoscopy results came back, and they were bizarre. Turns out Cheese definitely had IBD, but also had a one-in-a-million allergy to prednisone, something that multiple vets have told me is drat near unheard of in cats. All the time we were trying different foods to circumvent his allergies, we were making him even sicker with allergic reactions to the medicine we were giving him. We stopped giving him meds and switched to different foods, and eventually we found something that worked. He’d still get sick for a few days maybe once a year, but he was overall a healthy, happy cat. In the end we’d spent more money than we made in an average 2-3 months, but in retrospect I don’t regret a dime.

Anyway, he grew up and was consistently awesome. He got a little fat, but then again so did I. The girlfriend (now wife) and I went to college and became biologists. We moved all over the country, from Florida to California, and Cheeser went with us everywhere. When we moved to California for grad school, we ended up renting a house on an idyllic almond farm in the coast range. Cheese loved to go on walks in the orchard with us and the dog, always staying within sight while making it clear that he had his own agenda.

He had other hobbies, such as tasting people:

Laying in sunbeams:

Reigning over Rome as Cheeser Augustus:

Working on a series of obscure but influential underground hip hop albums:

Looking ridiculously handsome:

And going to the vet when he got injured in one stupid way or another:

You could basically mess with Cheeser as much as you wanted, and he’d just sit there and take it with a sarcastic and mildly irritated look on his face. It was like he understood what a joke was, and while he wasn’t exactly enjoying it, he knew that you didn’t mean anything by it and he was going to let you have your laugh.

He passed away in September at the ripe old age of seventeen and a half. Not bad for a cat that barely made it through his first year, and I’m thankful for every day we had. We buried him in the back yard and planted some rosemary over his grave. Here's Ralph and Frank chilling near the spot where we buried him.

RIP Cheeser. I have never known a better cat, and I expect I never will. I miss you every single day.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Cheeser :3:

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Trig Discipline posted:

RIP Cheeser. I have never known a better cat, and I expect I never will. I miss you every single day.

I got catnip dust in my eye here at work. all cattes should be so lucky.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

dunkman posted:

I got catnip dust in my eye here at work. all cattes should be so lucky.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I'm a girl so I can just straight up say there were some tears. RIP Cheeser.

Cats are the best.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
owning pets is a pretty good thing i guess

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Some of my friends are totally savaging me based on my "I'm getting a model to take pics with Esteban" and even entering in an internet cat show.

Screw them! They're all heartless (petless) jerks! The ones with pets are quietly supportive.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

Funhilde posted:

I'm a girl so I can just straight up say there were some tears. RIP Cheeser.

Cats are the best.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Funhilde posted:

Cats are the best.

they sure are :unsmith:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kirk posted:

owning pets is a pretty good thing i guess

My e-friends said I was mean and nasty on the internet until I got a cat :3

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:smith::unsmith:

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Trig Discipline posted:

I love this post, I love cheese

dunkman posted:

Some of my friends are totally savaging me based on my "I'm getting a model to take pics with Esteban" and even entering in an internet cat show.

Screw them! They're all heartless (petless) jerks! The ones with pets are quietly supportive.

I didn't even bother trying to explain my video to my friends.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

wraithgar posted:

I love this post, I love cheese

I didn't even bother trying to explain my video to my friends.

were you being ironic about the gener identity in pets thing you posted in the gassed pet island thread

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Pissflaps posted:

were you being ironic about the gener identity in pets thing you posted in the gassed pet island thread

the only thing i was being non ironic about was telling pi dog ball ladies they were terrible

my av sucks now gonna have to find a good trophy one to replace it, will probably have this in the text

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
what the gently caress happened in pet island

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Yodzilla posted:

what the gently caress happened in pet island

cat fight

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
My camera is terrible and I'm no photographer...

This was in 2009, Lucy would ravage the tree and knock off every ornament at night. She was a little overweight (goon cat) so I don't know how she got up there without the tree tipping over. Finally I gave up and just left the tree sitting there empty. These pictures are from one of the 'empty' days.

She'd climb it every couple of hours to check and see if I had put any new ornaments up so I started putting some on it every day when I went to work. Lucky for me there were right there on the floor the next day so all I had to do was pick them up and put them on the tree again, what a fun game!

Tragically, she died of liver failure the next fall - she didn't eat much for a week and when she started throwing up (in the middle of a bag of Solid Gold) I took her to the vet. He kept her for a couple of days until the blood work came back. I decided to let her fight instead of putting her to sleep and took her to a university vet center 2 hours away. She was there for 10 days and they ran every test and did everything they could, she never recovered.

I haven't put up a tree since, and I've been traveling a lot so I also haven't rescued another cat. She was one of a litter of feral kittens found in a trash can immediately after a flood the year before. Still makes me sad.

Reading this thread makes me want another cat.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

gonna collect my trophy in a christmas tree pics and post them tomorrow or somethin before i forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

dunkman posted:

Hope you got :tenbux: x2

:3: