Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Oh man, I don't live in Florida anymore, but I lived right down the road from the 321 local. It really is an awful tiny shithole who's usual bands are deathcore and bad indie rock. Ya, Mayhem isn't gonna play. They don't serve liquor either, just beer.

Any news as to why the Firestone isn't doing anymore shows? That was literally the only larger venue doing proper metal in Orlando.

Bitlzy, firestone decided to go to just being a booty dance nightclub and closed for renovations and cancelled all shows from here out.

However, they did buy Hoops, a nearby local bar with the intent of demolishing it and turning it into an outdoor venue, so I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

thepitgoddess posted:

My shows? I'm not a booker, these aren't my shows. I just like it when people go to stuff so bands come back, so I'm just promoting.

Also, if I had to guess, I'd say because Ft. L and miami are far as hell, expensive to drive to and the crowd could suck. I've been to some dead rear end shows there. It's probably not worth the gamble. So there's one FL date because people will drive once and congregate, the band can probably break even and it's less of a drive back out.

If the band has a driver, that driver can only drive like...8 or 9 hours before he has to take a legally mandated break. Shows have been cancelled because TMs don't take that into account. It's what, 12 hours from ATL to Miami?

I never thought of the legally mandated breaks with drivers, but I have noticed that while making a loop around the northeast, it seems that more than a few bands that I saw in Hartford, CT had their next stop in Ohio. I remember Deicide hanging out after a show talking about how they were skipping their Ohio show the next day, and Threat Signal had a handful of shows opening on different tours that had been booked by a manager that they fired - their frontman was driving and the rest of the band were hanging out, and they mentioned their hellish schedule was something like Ontario-Hartford-Cleveland on consecutive days.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why a lot of tours have skipped the northeast recently? I know bands often pass over CT because the venues are limited, and it's really close to Boston and NYC, plus Poughkeepsie and Worcester have multi-stage venues. A few tours haven't even hit NYC though, I saw a few and the closest show was DC/Philly/Pittsburgh/Rochester, and it seems odd that they skipped some huge markets. I don't think I have ever seen a bad turnout for a show in NYC, even on weeknights it seems pretty easy to sell tickets since there are so many people nearby.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Not that I can afford ANYTHING since I bought my Gigantour ticket, but I really wish they had a wider women's selection. :smith:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Saw Korpiklaani & Arkona last night, poo poo was great, loved it. Skipped the openers (Poladot Cadaver(?) & Forged in Flames). The Polkadot band today mentioned how poo poo Winnipeg is like a "dick in the rear end full of aids". Well, next time don't get booked on a tour for folk metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoJvRGYGXQI

https://www.facebook.com/polkadotcadaver/posts/10150985085290431?notif_t=like

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Vintersorg posted:

Saw Korpiklaani & Arkona last night, poo poo was great, loved it. Skipped the openers (Poladot Cadaver(?) & Forged in Flames). The Polkadot band today mentioned how poo poo Winnipeg is like a "dick in the rear end full of aids". Well, next time don't get booked on a tour for folk metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoJvRGYGXQI

https://www.facebook.com/polkadotcadaver/posts/10150985085290431?notif_t=like

Polkadot Cadaver has the people (or at least lead singer) from Dog Fashion Disco, right?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, same guys as far as I know.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Polkadot Cadaver has the people (or at least lead singer) from Dog Fashion Disco, right?

Yeah, they're kind of neat. It's strange that they were touring with folk metal bands, that's just silly.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Vintersorg posted:

Saw Korpiklaani & Arkona last night, poo poo was great, loved it.

Good to hear, they're gonna be in Texas on the 10th and I'm excited to go see them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Good news gents, and the like 2 ladies, being into metal is now a disability! If you're in Sweden.

Here in the USA I guess I'll just continue wearing metal shirts under my dress shirts. :smith:

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

IRQ posted:

Good news gents, and the like 2 ladies, being into metal is now a disability! If you're in Sweden.

Here in the USA I guess I'll just continue wearing metal shirts under my dress shirts. :smith:

Metal causes autistic behaviour, news at 11

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

IRQ posted:

News from a few years ago, but hey, the USA isn't exactly a progressive place anymore.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Finally got to listen to the new Alcest song that came out yesterday. Not particularly metal, but definitely worth checking out if you like their other material. Granted I'm a little biased: when I first discovered them I don't think I listened to anything but Ecailles de Lune for like three weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=85c-P9hbmBg!

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 2, 2011

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
So I just got Gin by Cobalt on Friday, and it's literally all I've listened to for the past two days. Christ alive it is good. Are there any groups similar to them? I especially love the guitar tone and the drumming, if that helps to narrow any recommendations down.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Inquisition is playing a last minute off-day show at a dive bar near me on Monday :stare:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Psycho Mantits posted:

So I just got Gin by Cobalt on Friday, and it's literally all I've listened to for the past two days. Christ alive it is good. Are there any groups similar to them? I especially love the guitar tone and the drumming, if that helps to narrow any recommendations down.

Kongh - Shadows of the Shapeless

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

QPZIL posted:

Inquisition is playing a last minute off-day show at a dive bar near me on Monday :stare:

Holy poo poo, thank you so much for posting this. I live in Cary and will be there for sure...only $5? Brilliant!

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

QPZIL posted:

By all means, go. I saw them yesterday in a room that was probably twenty yards square and they absolutely killed it. I had no idea it was only two guys; the sound was full and it would seem that the record required little overdubbing, which is shocking. I was also able to verify that the bizarre robo-Abbath vocal delivery is done without any kind of processing.

e: $5? Get outta here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Monkeytime posted:

By all means, go. I saw them yesterday in a room that was probably twenty yards square and they absolutely killed it. I had no idea it was only two guys; the sound was full and it would seem that the record required little overdubbing, which is shocking. I was also able to verify that the bizarre robo-Abbath vocal delivery is done without any kind of processing.

e: $5? Get outta here.

I was told this is an off-tour-date show - did they have merch? I want to give them all my money.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
I'm looking forward to the new Gojira album, but a little wary about them signing to Roadrunner, hopefully the change is good. But their two "in the studio" webisodes they have released have gotten me pretty pumped.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Drifter287 posted:

Finally got to listen to the new Alcest song that came out yesterday. Not particularly metal, but definitely worth checking out if you like their other material. Granted I'm a little biased: when I first discovered them I don't think I listened to anything but Ecailles de Lune for like three weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=85c-P9hbmBg!

I'm really quite an Alcest fan and this new song is really really bland. Nothing that hasn't been done before and the entire feel of the music production wise is quite bland.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I got a free ticket to Machine Head in Wembley Arena on Saturday. Bring me the Horizon were one of the opening acts and were absolutely awful; they all looked like they were 15 year old and had skinny jeans on. It was entertaining though, as many cups of beer kept landing onto the stage from quite impressive distances (It's a large venue). One hit one of the security guards in the face though which was hilarious but I felt bad for him.

Machine Head, I have to say were incredible. Those are some of the largest circle pits I have ever seen.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
Saw Cannibal Corpse yesterday. Small venue, great moshing, long set with classics like "I cum blood", "Hammer-smashed face", "hosed with a knife", etc, everything went pretty awesome, even though I'm not the biggest CC fan. We even got to take a picture with Corpsegrinder and get our tickets signed.

The only downside was that they had Black Dahlia Murder and loving Suicide Silence open for them. Wtf is that emo kid they have for a vocalist? His voice is annoying, he looks annoying, his whole stage antics is annoying (he likes to do a retarded little jump while opening his arms during breakdowns)... it fires something irrational in me that makes me want to hurt him. And I consider myself a peaceful person. I dunno, I guess it's the whole tough guy thing being done by a scrawny kid with a girlish scream.

The good part is that when their gig was over, all the emo kids got out, so we got to come closer to the stage despite arriving late.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

QPZIL posted:

I was told this is an off-tour-date show - did they have merch? I want to give them all my money.

They were selling the double splatter vinyl "tome" editions of "Ominous Doctrines..." and "Into the Infernal Regions..." that Hells Headbangers put out this year and one rather poorly printed t-shirt that I bought anyway. There was some sort of distro guy responsible for their stuff who was selling vinyl and CDs, but I'm not sure if he was with them for the tour or just in charge of their poo poo for that night.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Saw Cannibal Corpse yesterday. Small venue, great moshing, long set with classics like "I cum blood", "Hammer-smashed face", "hosed with a knife", etc, everything went pretty awesome, even though I'm not the biggest CC fan. We even got to take a picture with Corpsegrinder and get our tickets signed.

Cannibal Corpse has been playing almost the exact same set for like 10 years, and I am 100% okay with that. They're always a blast live.

Also, last time I saw them I talked football** with Corpsegrinder and he signed the inside of my vest.

** "So, playoffs eh?"
"Yep."
"Hey, you mind signing this?"
:shobon:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
On a separate note: has anyone mentioned how awesome Ghoul's newest album, Transmission Zero, is? Because it's a fantastically fun and weird mix of death, thrash and rockabilly.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I saw Machine Head open up for Metallica on the Death Magnetic tour a couple years ago and I thought they were terrible. They butchered a Number of the Beast cover. Just listened to their new stuff on youtube.. I still can't really get into it. I don't know what it is, even as technically sound as the album may be, they still bore me to death.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

QPZIL posted:

Cannibal Corpse has been playing almost the exact same set for like 10 years, and I am 100% okay with that. They're always a blast live.

Also, last time I saw them I talked football** with Corpsegrinder and he signed the inside of my vest.

** "So, playoffs eh?"
"Yep."
"Hey, you mind signing this?"
:shobon:

Yeah, I was pretty glad too, since it was my first CC gig. I guess it might get a little boring if you see them all the time, but I live in Brazil, so even if I see them every time they come, it still won't be too tiresome.

I didn't get to talk much with Corpsegrinder, there was a lot of people around waiting to get their pics taken/stuff signed, but I did get to talk with Trevor from The Black Dahlia Murder about barbecue. :lol: Cool dude too, shame I don't really like the band.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Crimsonjewfro posted:

I didn't get to talk much with Corpsegrinder, there was a lot of people around waiting to get their pics taken/stuff signed, but I did get to talk with Trevor from The Black Dahlia Murder about barbecue. :lol: Cool dude too, shame I don't really like the band.

I didn't like them live, but I did like their last two albums. I still need to give them another shot live, it's kind of a tough spot when you're playing above Napalm Death and Exodus.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008
New Lamb of God song, Ghost Walking, is up.

http://soundcloud.com/roadrunnerrecords/lamb-of-god-ghost-walking

:gizz:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^^ Not bad

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008

MalConstant posted:

that solo.. i didn't know Mark Morton had it in him.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

MalConstant posted:

I see them in January with about 10 of my friends, and I can not loving wait!

Speewah
May 28, 2011
For any Aussies looking in here, long time heavy metal stalwart and host of Triple J's The Racket Haugy is doing his last show after ten years on the job. The bloke has done a tremendous job introducing metal to a wider audience and promoting local bands and it will be interesting to see where both Haugy and Triple J go from here.

edit: looks like the decision to leave wasn't his choice, sucks. At least he got to play his own band for once, ABC can't fire him further haha.

Speewah fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 6, 2011

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'll interview warbringer tomorrow, so if anybody has any questions, let me know.
They're opening for Arch Enemy here, but I think I'll leave before AE ends; I saw them in metalcamp earlier this year, and I got fed up with their preachy attitude about "No Gods! No authority!" aimed at 14-year olds with anger issues.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Does Alice Cooper count?

I saw him last night in Kingston and it was a bloody amazing show. I work at one of the local radio stations and a coworker of mine got to meet him. Apparently he's just as nice in person as everyone says. :swoon:

Orianthe can play a bloody guitar man. Alice was right for picking her.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Teasers for the new embrace of thorns album are up. Full album is out on the 31st, so I'd expect the whole thing to be streaming fairly soon.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Is Deicide worth going to see? They play here quite a bit so I was curious.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Minto Took posted:

Benton's voice is hosed and he's just kind of...lazy onstage. If Jack Owen is not doing the tour it might be ok. Otherwise, Jack Owen is basically a hat rack. Dude barely could play the songs and tried to disappear into the curtains when I saw them.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Minto Took posted:

They have a reputation for missing shows, and they're really hit-or-miss. They used to be one of my favorites, but I lost a lot of respect for them because of the show-skipping, drama with ex-members, and Jack Owen's ties to white supremacist groups.

thepitgoddess posted:

Benton's voice is hosed and he's just kind of...lazy onstage. If Jack Owen is not doing the tour it might be ok. Otherwise, Jack Owen is basically a hat rack. Dude barely could play the songs and tried to disappear into the curtains when I saw them.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant, so I looked it up and came up with something that I hope you don't mean:

2. hat rack
a self-sexual act in which a male hangs a hat from his penis and swings it around in circles.
also knopwn as hat-spinning or rack riding.
Jeff: what you up to tonight?
david: well, no ones gonna be in so im gonna do a hat rack.
Jeff: niiiice! *high fives*

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No, a loving hat rack. A rack on which you hang hats.