Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
ADWD also hints that Dany has to go to Asshai first before going to Westeros. So in one sense yes, we are further away than we were at the beginning of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You forget there's a magical dragon taming horn being delivered to her like so many dominoes pizza's

I forgot about zombie Aemon.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

MMD3 posted:

pretty good summation of how I felt.

with only 2 books (purportedly) remaining in the series, and knowing that it takes approximately AN ENTIRE BOOK for somebody to cross the narrow sea, it feels like the next book MIGHT see Dani heading towards Westeros which would leave a shitload of epic stuff that would all be crammed into the 7th book. It really seems like he's totally hosed his pacing and we should have seen Dani concluding business in Meereen, finding out about Aegon, and figuring out how to get her dragon butts across the ocean all take place in this book. I hope this all takes place in like the first 100 pages of the next book and we're off and running again but GRRM doesn't exactly have the best track record at this point.

The thing is that he can totally fit all of that into two books. The problem isn't "too much poo poo to fit into that many pages", it's "Gurm just spent five hundred pages furiously masturbating". I'm pretty sure this could be a four book series if he would cut down on the page count devoted to side stories that don't go anywhere, cut down on the talk about poo poo and piss and trimmed some of the events.

One of the things that needs to happen is Tyrion needs to get to Dani. Gurm decided that we needed to see him get kidnapped, get on a boat, follow the boat for five loving chapters, watch the boat get captured by slavers, watch Tyrion get sold, have him go to Dani's city, have him play for her in the arena and then have his slave master die from a plague. None of that was important. You could have just gone directly "Tyrion gets kidnapped" to "There are dwarves jousting in the arena, oh hey, it's Tyrion!" without losing much. He spends too much time looking at what characters are doing when they aren't doing anything important.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

MMD3 posted:

GRRM doesn't exactly have the best track record at this point.

He's still written more good books than bad but it is a bit alarming that the last good one was over 11 years ago =\

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ross posted:

He's still written more good books than bad but it is a bit alarming that the last good one was over 11 years ago =\

One bad book can tie it. That would be more suspenseful than A Dance with Diarrhea.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

My problem isn't even that it's all unimportant build up, it's that it's all unimportant build up that leads to nothing but blue balls. If there were a tiny whit of payoff for most of the stories the excessive buildup wouldn't bother me much. It's just that there's all this build up and they cut (or he never wrote) the big events that pay off the 500 page crappy sidequest garbage.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

NovemberMike posted:

You could have just gone directly "Tyrion gets kidnapped" to "There are dwarves jousting in the arena, oh hey, it's Tyrion!" without losing much. He spends too much time looking at what characters are doing when they aren't doing anything important.

Dude is trying to write character development. Tyrion is thinking about his father and Jaime, and the common folk, and what his new role will be. The events of his travel are just there as a framework allowing observation of this development.

Tyrion's story in this book wasn't about getting him to Dany, it was about getting him to a place mentally so he could interact with Dany in the way GRRM wants.

Unfortunately the development had way too much time devoted to it considering how expected and very undramatic it was.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The problem is that he spent too much time on it all and it happened away from other characters. If he'd moved Tyrion into Dani's city and then had all of the character development happen then we'd have "Tyrion witnesses events that matter and that changes him" rather than "Tyrion witnesses events that nobody will ever give a poo poo about and it changes him". I swear there's been a theme of isolating characters on boats too...

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
What characters have had real development? Jaime, Arya. Cersei doesn't count. Pretty much everyone else has just had stuff done to them and then done stuff.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

NovemberMike posted:

The thing is that he can totally fit all of that into two books.
You're adorable. :allears:

quote:

He says that wrapping everything up in two more books is "my plan, my intent, that's what I'm going to try to do. But at this point, I know better than to promise anything and write it out in blood." And he reiterates that the series was originally planned as just a trilogy, and it's grown quite a bit since then.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Simon Draskovic posted:

Books 4, 5, and 6 of the epic saga:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftlfPb0gyxI

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Simon Draskovic posted:

That was pretty much my point. If he had an editor willing to punch him in his pizza filled gut then he'd still have a loving trilogy. The problem is that rather than writing an outline and trying to figure out how to fit everything into each book he's furiously masturbating to the image of siblings loving each other on a mound of greasy pizzas.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Bonus Books :krad:

badtitties
Nov 23, 2001

The greatest survivor
that ever lived...

:911::911::911::911:
Do you have a source for all this GRRM masturbation?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

hailthefish posted:

My problem isn't even that it's all unimportant build up, it's that it's all unimportant build up that leads to nothing but blue balls. If there were a tiny whit of payoff for most of the stories the excessive buildup wouldn't bother me much. It's just that there's all this build up and they cut (or he never wrote) the big events that pay off the 500 page crappy sidequest garbage.

What's worse are big events with zero build up. ie: little kids ceasaring nuncle Lannister.
It's almost as if gurm thinks he is clever by attempting to keep our attention over there --->
When he really intends to do something clever over <--- there.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Vertigus posted:

That's awesome.

I also sometime feel like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uvm3GixEj4&feature=related
when reading ASoI&F.

The last chapter of the last book: "haHA!"

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 30, 2011

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

What's worse are big events with zero build up. ie: little kids ceasaring nuncle Lannister.
It's almost as if gurm thinks he is clever by attempting to keep our attention over there --->

Yeah, its kind of annoying. I'm pretty sure that without this thread I would've totally forgotten Kevan being killed by the time the next book comes out, even if the next book came out in within a reasonable time frame.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, its kind of annoying. I'm pretty sure that without this thread I would've totally forgotten Kevan being killed by the time the next book comes out, even if the next book came out in within a reasonable time frame.
Really? The scenes in which POV characters die especially always really stick with me, because he writes it in this visceral way that almost makes it feel like what dying yourself must actually feel like. I felt that arrow lunging into my own chest as I read Kevan's death, the power and shock and offense of the impact. Same with Pate and Catelyn, to give some other examples. Harrowing, fascinating reading experiences.

I do agree on the comment in general, though, but a better example IMO would be Dany's dragons being born back in AGOT in a single, kind of throwaway sentence after that enormous amount of buildup over her chapters and especially the last one. It just deflated like a balloon.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Joramun posted:

Really? The scenes in which POV characters die especially always really stick with me, because he writes it in this visceral way that almost makes it feel like what dying yourself must actually feel like. I felt that arrow lunging into my own chest as I read Kevan's death, the power and shock and offense of the impact. Same with Pate and Catelyn, to give some other examples. Harrowing, fascinating reading experiences.

Sure, if its a POV like Ned, or even Jaime losing his hand. I never felt that kind of attachment to uncle Kev though, he just always seemed overshadowed by the rest of his clan (not in actual political influence within the realm, but in terms of making the reader take notice of him)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Kekekela posted:

Sure, if its a POV like Ned, or even Jaime losing his hand. I never felt that kind of attachment to uncle Kev though, he just always seemed overshadowed by the rest of his clan (not in actual political influence within the realm, but in terms of making the reader take notice of him)

Ned didn't die in a POV chapter so he doesn't count, he died in Arya's chapter. His death is harrowing for another reason: you heart just breaks for that little girl losing her father.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Kekekela posted:

He just kind of seemed cool and he was the first person (who wasn't Tyrion) to tell Cersei to stop being a giant poo poo.

Too bad he died like a little bitch.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Contra Calculus posted:

He just kind of seemed cool and he was the first person (who wasn't Tyrion) to tell Cersei to stop being a giant poo poo.

Too bad he died like a little bitch.

Well to be fair, he was as good as dead when Jaime and his men cut down Jory and ganged up on him. :colbert:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Fog Tripper posted:

Well to be fair, he was as good as dead when Jaime and his men cut down Jory and ganged up on him. :colbert:

I was talking about uncle Kev, man. I guess that really wasn't clear though considering the guy I quoted referred to three different characters.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Fog Tripper posted:

To play Azure Horizon for a moment:

the little kids aren't zero build up. The "little birds" were around since book one's Arya eavesdropping chapter, and explicitly explained by GRRMllyrio himself.
Kevan dying wasn't really unexpected, either. Varys is correct in his assessment that almost every side has some obvious reason to want Kevan dead, and it would hardly have been shocking for Cersei to kill Kevan because she's an idiot, or the Tyrells to murder him because he's the last obstacle in their way, or the High Septon to do it in order to make the church look more stable by comparison, etc. Hell, it's something we wouldn't blink twice at if Littlefinger had it arranged.

What completely lacked any but the most tenuous of buildup is the appearance of our Lilac Messiah Sue, He of the Many Ascribed Virtues.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Contra Calculus posted:

I was talking about uncle Kev, man. I guess that really wasn't clear though considering the guy I quoted referred to three different characters.

I should have read more slowly. I think my reading ability has been altered by gurm. :silent:

whowhatwhere posted:

To play Azure Horizon for a moment:

the little kids aren't zero build up. The "little birds" were around since book one's Arya eavesdropping chapter, and explicitly explained by GRRMllyrio himself.

Mere existence equates to build up?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Joramun posted:

Ned didn't die in a POV chapter so he doesn't count, he died in Arya's chapter. His death is harrowing for another reason: you heart just breaks for that little girl losing her father.

Well, you said POV character in the post I was replying to, which Ned was. And the reason it resonated with me was because he was a central character that I had grown attached to, not because of empathy for Arya.

Honestly I didn't even remember Kevan having POV's in this book, I thought he died in the epilogue. He wasn't someone that I really cared or thought that much about, for me he was an ancillary character in the Cersei chapters in ADWD, despite his importance to the Westerosi politics. The point is it just didn't really resonate with me. Its cool that it did with you, but this seems like a matter of opinion so I doubt either of us is going to convince the other that his viewpoint is the correct one.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 1, 2011

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

That's awesome.

I also sometime feel like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uvm3GixEj4&feature=related
when reading ASoI&F.

The last chapter of the last book: "haHA!"

You... this is Hall-of-Fame worthy in my book. You've contributed a work of short genius to this thread, in hitting a target none of us could otherwise see. You've found the perfect visual metaphor for the narrative structure of Books 4, 5, and 6.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DirtyRobot posted:

ADWD also hints that Dany has to go to Asshai first before going to Westeros. So in one sense yes, we are further away than we were at the beginning of the book.

This has been hinted at since Book One. Ever since I first read "in the shadowlands beyond Asshai" I was all "oh there is no way we aren't seeing those lands somewhere between 2/3-7/8ths of the epic, and Dany is the perfect character to end up going there." Not only that, but since then as she gets further and further and loving further away from Westeros it seemed that she'd end up wrapping her way around the globe (is it a globe? Did GRRM cover that in the "it's a fantasy world not sci-fi stop with the astrophysics" chat?) and getting back to Westeros.

And then there's the fact that a lot of magic sources that aren't Dragon/Others related seem to originate there, though the R'hollor crap and the Rock-Virus in Book 6 mutes a fair bit of that.

But knowing GRRM these days he'll introduce some new Meereenese group of characters, one of whom ends up on a boat to Asshai at the end of Book 7 and shows up there in a epilogue to tease the fans about the further "mystery" the world holds. There will be no book 7.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Kekekela posted:

Well, you said POV character in the post I was replying to, which Ned was.
We didn't ultimately experience his death from his POV, like with Catelyn, Kevan, possibly Jon, etc., so it's quite different. (Another instance like Ned's is in ADWD: Quentyn. He is also a POV character that ultimately dies in someone else's chapter, not that his death is comparable or the effect as impactful as Ned's, but just to illustrate the difference of the visceral feeling those deaths inside the character's mind and body evoke.)

Kekekela posted:

And the reason it resonated was because he was a central character that I had grown attached to, not because of empathy for his fictional daughter.
If you didn't feel for Arya there, you must be some kind of robot or overly jaded. Sure there was the narrative shock (and outrage/repulsion towards Joffrey), but you really can't just so easily dismiss the added emotional impact of that scene. It's not just agonizing because of Ned, but also heartbreaking exactly because it is set in his daughter's perspective. The author's choice to write it from her viewpoint instead of just Ned's is important and really adds to the impact.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Joramun posted:

We didn't ultimately experience his death from his POV, like with Catelyn, Kevan, possibly Jon, etc., so it's quite different. (Another instance like Ned's is in ADWD: Quentyn. He is also a POV character that ultimately dies in someone else's chapter, not that his death is comparable or the effect as impactful as Ned's, but just to illustrate the difference of the visceral feeling those deaths inside the character's mind and body evoke.)
I understand your point. In the post I was replying to you said POV character, so I thought you meant POV character. These characters are more central to the book than other characters. I understand after your previous reply that what you meant was "a death in first person narrative".

quote:

If you didn't feel for Arya there, you must be some kind of robot or overly jaded.
:rolleyes: My point was that the reason it was a big deal was because Ned was such a central character. Would it have been such a big deal for you if we'd never been introduced to Ned and were just seeing Arya having to witness the death of her father that we knew nothing about? Sure it would have emotional impact, but nothing that you don't get in most good fiction. The difference here was that up until that point Ned was the central figure in that book and his getting offed was one of the biggest :asoiaf: moments I can ever remember having read.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 1, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Fog Tripper posted:

Mere existence equates to build up?

It equates to more buildup than Aegon's survival, which until ADWD was just the speculation of people who were desperately seeking a new twist.

Besides, when the "Little Birds" are said to be bound so tightly to Varys, it's perfectly natural to wonder "well then where the hell are they and what are they doing?" Leading to the reveal: they've been continuing their work for Varys, who has been doing all he could to make things worse for the realm. Whether that's good buildup is entirely besides the point.

e: also Kevan wasn't someone who was going to deliver a Red Wedding-style showstopper, but he was a pretty cool guy who was probably the best ruler Westeros could have had during this period, since he lacks Tywin's obsession with reputation. Also he seems to be one of the few male nobles who retained a devotion to his wife long after the wedding, which is basically ASOIAF's hint for tragedy right there. All the ones who have cared about their wives died.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 1, 2011

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's a reason :asoiaf: exists.

That reason is gone.

(That's : asioiaf : by the way)

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 1, 2011

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Why does Dany have to go to asshai? Something that old woman said? I don't remember that at all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Why does Dany have to go to asshai? Something that old woman said? I don't remember that at all.

It's just a carrot dangling at the end of the stick. "Ooh here we are in this big world-spanning epic that's going to last thousands of pages and we're mentioning these dark shadowy lands where magic comes from." While never going there is the kind of cheap "twist of convention" I'd expect from GRRM at this point, initially it really did seem like something that was bound to happen at some point. Not necessarily with Dany, but with someone eventually seeing Asshai.

At this point we've seen all Seven Kingdoms, the Iron Islands, more than a few of the Slaver Cities, the center of the Red Priests, Oldtown, parts of Valyria, the Free Cities, the Dothraki Sea, the lands beyond the Wall and the Children of the Forest.

Asshai is basically the last major piece of the map aside from the Summer Isles that hasn't been explored in-depth at all.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Vertigus posted:

mind the walrus posted:

You... this is Hall-of-Fame worthy in my book. You've contributed a work of short genius to this thread, in hitting a target none of us could otherwise see. You've found the perfect visual metaphor for the narrative structure of Books 4, 5, and 6.

mind the walrus posted:

And then there's the fact that a lot of magic sources that aren't Dragon/Others related seem to originate there, though the R'hollor crap and the Rock-Virus in Book 6 mutes a fair bit of that.

But knowing GRRM these days he'll introduce some new Meereenese group of characters, one of whom ends up on a boat to Asshai at the end of Book 7 and shows up there in a epilogue to tease the fans about the further "mystery" the world holds. There will be no book 7.

Did I just awaken from a coma and the year is roughly 2019-ish? Six books? Or are we just automatically assuming Winds of Winter will be more of the same? Because we don't know that at all, it could be less Feast for Crows and more Storm of Swords. it won't be

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mind the walrus posted:

It's all in the buildup, my man.

edit: I to this day believe that the guard on the right (hayyy!) is Jimmy Page in a cameo.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 1, 2011

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nope, I'm just a moron who forgot how to count.

Though I am also assuming that Winds of Winter will be more of the same. Basically nothing but the Stannis plot getting stuck by a Snowstorm only spread out over every POV save maybe Dany, who retreads crap with the Dothraki because it's easier to remember their crap than invent more Mereen poo poo.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Just remembered more zombies in the series: The mummified warlock folks sitting around a table with a beating heart hovering above the table. Another part of the story that I just don't grok. If magic was steadily building, how are these "beings" explained? Weren't they said to be ancient?

gently caress you gurm. gently caress you with a zombie penis.

Ice zombies
Fire zombies
Dust.... zombies?
Plants zombies (the dude who lives under the earth and is part tree. Zombie?)

Ballz posted:

Did I just awaken from a coma and the year is roughly 2019-ish? Six books? Or are we just automatically assuming Winds of Winter will be more of the same? Because we don't know that at all, it could be less Feast for Crows and more Storm of Swords. it won't be

The confusing thing is how to refer to AFFC and ADwD. 2 halves of book 4?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 1, 2011

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Wanna see Tall Trees Town, bet the Summer Islanders throw wicked parties up in there all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Just remembered more zombies in the series: The mummified warlock folks sitting around a table with a beating heart hovering above the table. Another part of the story that I just don't grok. If magic was steadily building, how are these "beings" explained? Weren't they said to be ancient?

gently caress you gurm. gently caress you with a zombie penis.

Ice zombies
Fire zombies
Dust.... zombies?
Plants zombies (the dude who lives under the earth and is part tree. Zombie?)

What kind of zombie is "Ser Robert Strong" then?

A rape zombie?