Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Copernic posted:

Has anyone used tonx.org or could recommend a coffee-by-mail service? I'm thinking about asking for a Tonx membership for Xmas. All I want is something that's an improvement on supermarket whole bean bags.

E: I would love to visit a local roaster but Torrance, California is an empty sea of chains.

Are you sure? Here in friggin Redlands we have 2 roasters. I would imagine closer to civilization you'd have soemthing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nm posted:

Are you sure? Here in friggin Redlands we have 2 roasters. I would imagine closer to civilization you'd have soemthing.

HI INLAND EMPIRE BUDDY o/

Yeah, there's gotta be somewhere around there. There are four Intelligentsias in north LA, which I know is quite a drive for you, but if it's any indication there should at least be a small ma & pa place. A quick google search says there's a place called Catalina Coffee in Redondo, maybe try there?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GrAviTy84 posted:

HI INLAND EMPIRE BUDDY o/
Party like its 1999. Because it is like 1999. Cupcakes are starting to be a "thing." Augie's is pretty awesome though.

Yeah, I'd look specifically for coffee roasters on google. You'll likely have one closer than you think.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Copernic posted:

Has anyone used tonx.org or could recommend a coffee-by-mail service? I'm thinking about asking for a Tonx membership for Xmas. All I want is something that's an improvement on supermarket whole bean bags.

E: I would love to visit a local roaster but Torrance, California is an empty sea of chains.

Tons of roasters all over the US deliver. In fact, my favorite one from my old hometown will ship anything over 1 lb for free.

http://www.chazzanocoffee.com/

I found them about a year ago and went in on a slow day and the owner actually took me back to their roasting room and did a batch for me so I could watch the whole process start to finish. After that he let me try a bunch of different coffees prepared in a bunch of different ways for free. He is an awesome dude and his coffee is outstanding.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Santa Monica also has a few boutique shops/roasters.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I like this place. They ship.

http://www.vervecoffeeroasters.com/

nm
Jan 28, 2008

If you do ship, I can't recommend my old local enough. Temple coffee in sacramento roasts weekly or more, gets amazing beans that rotate quickly, and really knows what they're doing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I am in Sacramento now but still primarily use Peerless over in Oakland, they ship next day and the coffee is always extremely fresh. I have used them for over 15 years.

I have used Java City locally who ship locally for free but it just wasn't quite up to the quality of Peerless. I will check out Temple tonight as I'll be right by it.

That being said there has to be a good roaster or 10 nearby in LA or Socal somewhere to get good beans.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 30, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Thanks to this thread and a bit of boredom, I decided to actually try freshly ground coffee beans (since I had a pack of beans on-hand.) Holy poo poo, you guys weren't joking about how much difference there was.

That may have been the best cup of coffee I've ever had. I'm going to need to get a better grinder (I used a blade grinder) and start roasting myself soon.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Hey there coffee thread! I've never been much of a coffee drinker, but have been drinking more as I'm trying to cut soda out of my diet. I can sort of make palatable drip coffee with the right blend of cream and sugar, but... eh. Probably doesn't help that I'm using the world's jankiest Mr. Coffee.

My real weakness is the latte, usually with one of those sugar syrup add-ins. I realize this probably makes half the thread irrationally angry, but oh well! Rather than spending $4 each time I want some coffee, I'd like to replicate this at home. I've read the OP, and given that I'm going to be mixing with a fair amount of milk, it sounds like the Moka/stovetop espresso might be right for me. Am I wrong?

With a $30 stovetop pot, a handheld frother, and some pre-ground espresso from a reputable roaster, am I going to get close to what I'm looking for?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doc Faustus posted:

With a $30 stovetop pot, a handheld frother, and some pre-ground espresso from a reputable roaster, am I going to get close to what I'm looking for?

Yeah, moka pot, a frothing means of some sort(you can use a press pot).

I would definitely suggest a grinder if you can afford it.

If you must use syrups, use Monin, they make the best ones IMO.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think lattes with syrups will be better for you than soda? You're just replacing a sugary drink with a slightly less sugary drink with fat.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Doc Faustus posted:

Hey there coffee thread! I've never been much of a coffee drinker, but have been drinking more as I'm trying to cut soda out of my diet. I can sort of make palatable drip coffee with the right blend of cream and sugar, but... eh. Probably doesn't help that I'm using the world's jankiest Mr. Coffee.

My real weakness is the latte, usually with one of those sugar syrup add-ins. I realize this probably makes half the thread irrationally angry, but oh well! Rather than spending $4 each time I want some coffee, I'd like to replicate this at home. I've read the OP, and given that I'm going to be mixing with a fair amount of milk, it sounds like the Moka/stovetop espresso might be right for me. Am I wrong?

This was already stated, but swapping out soda for coffee with cream and sugar is pretty misguided. Anyway, just get an Aeropress, it'll do what you want at least as well as anything else at that price point.

Also, consider picking up a Sodastream or some other kind of seltzer machine and drinking just plain seltzer water, it's a good, crisp, refreshing alternative to soft drinks once you get used to it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Bob_McBob posted:

The Maestro and Maestro Plus both have 40 adjustment steps and the same burr set. The Plus has a timer switch instead of an on/off switch, a pulse button on the front, and a weighted base (it weighs 3 lbs more than the Maestro). In terms of grind quality, there is no difference.

The $70 refurb Maestro is a sweet deal, and I don't recommend spending any more unless you want to go for the Virtuoso. I always weigh and grind per dose with the cheaper Baratzas, so the pulse button is not much use. The timer is only useful if you absolutely cannot turn off the grinder when it's finished. The metal base is actually more of a benefit than you would think, since it stops the grinder from moving around on the counter so easily. I still wouldn't spend the extra unless you want to go for the Virtuoso, which has significantly better grind quality than either Maestro.

Looking at the Baratza site, I can't find Maestro (refurb or no) at $75; only Maestro Plus refurb at $95. Do they just not make Maestros anymore, and I'm out of luck if I want a refurb?

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 1, 2011

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
hopefully get an aeropress soon, as well as a hario grinder from amazon. i'm currently satisfying my habit with a keurig, but i love good coffee when i can get it. starting small.

is there anything i should know before i start taking a crack at halfway-decent espresso/americanos? i've read this whole thread.. but holy poo poo, $500 coffee grinders? i'll pass...

help me become a coffee snob guys

oh yeah, and i know a really cool guy who roasts his own stuff every other week. gonna get myself a mason jar and get some fresh stuff from him once i get my grinder/aeropress :)

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

yokken posted:

is there anything i should know before i start taking a crack at halfway-decent espresso/americanos? i've read this whole thread.. but holy poo poo, $500 coffee grinders? i'll pass...

I get the feeling you've read the Aeropress advertising spiel and think you will be making espresso with it. Despite what its nutty inventor might claim, it makes a strong cup of nice coffee (with the right brew ratio and timing), not espresso.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

yokken posted:

hopefully get an aeropress soon, as well as a hario grinder from amazon. i'm currently satisfying my habit with a keurig, but i love good coffee when i can get it. starting small.

help me become a coffee snob guys

oh yeah, and i know a really cool guy who roasts his own stuff every other week. gonna get myself a mason jar and get some fresh stuff from him once i get my grinder/aeropress :)

I know I just recommended it, but get an Aeropress and maybe a Hario Skerton or Baratza Maestro grinder and you'll be able to make some very very good espresso-like coffee without spending a ton of cash.

Unless you want to drink espresso nearly every day and have a lot of disposable income, it makes more sense just to go to a really good coffee shop when you want to have some good espresso (assuming you live in an area where this kind of thing exists).

Gravity Pike posted:

Looking at the Baratza site, I can't find Maestro; only Maestro Plus at $95. Do they just not make Maestros anymore, and I'm out of luck if I want a refurb?

They have a little line saying "don't see the grinder you're looking for here" that you can click on, and it'll show them. I think they might be sold out, though.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

Looking at the Baratza site, I can't find Maestro (refurb or no) at $75; only Maestro Plus refurb at $95. Do they just not make Maestros anymore, and I'm out of luck if I want a refurb?

They've just done a major site re-design, and it looks like they decided to discontinue the Maestro at the same time. You can find listings for the Maestro and Starbucks Barista here. I can't say whether they will have refurb Maestros available again in the future. The Maestro Plus is essentially the same grinder with a few extra bits and pieces, so perhaps $95 will be the buy-in for a good grinder from now on :(

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
For fakepresso what would you guys consider to be better/closer to the real thing? Aeropress or a Moka pot?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

For fakepresso what would you guys consider to be better/closer to the real thing? Aeropress or a Moka pot?

Neither is remotely close to actual espresso. I am sure an Italian would tell you to buy a moka pot, but I think the Aeropress makes a better cup of coffee if you use it properly. Discard the included instructions and go here.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Definitely Moka pot. It's not going to be exact, but you can get pretty close to real espresso by carefully tending to a moka pot. Maybe I'll get around to making how-to video sometime.

You'll never get crema though.

edit: unless you get a brikka

mattdev fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 1, 2011

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
As the few people above me have noted, moka pot coffee is closer in strength to espresso, but lacks the pressure of a real espresso machine that produces the crema that gives espresso it's noted mouthfeel. An aeropress just makes strong coffee that is somewhere between french press and espresso in terms of strength. Aeropress coffee to me is better for everyday use than what a moka pot produces. Moka pots are good for mixed coffee drinks or foods that doesn't necessarily need crema or the body of real espresso though. My mom has one and only uses it for cooking.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

AriTheDog posted:

This was already stated, but swapping out soda for coffee with cream and sugar is pretty misguided. Anyway, just get an Aeropress, it'll do what you want at least as well as anything else at that price point.

According to Starbucks' website, which is probably good enough, a 16oz "Flavored Latte" is 37g of carbs. A 20oz bottle of soda, which has less caffeine, is ~70g of carbs. And I'm not gonna worry about the 6g of fat.

You're absolutely right that drinking black coffee, or an Americano would be better for me. But, since I tend to like my drinks at least cut with milk, it's not gonna work for me!

I'll do some online comparison between the aeropress and the moka, and see which looks better. Thanks!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doc Faustus posted:

According to Starbucks' website, which is probably good enough, a 16oz "Flavored Latte" is 37g of carbs. A 20oz bottle of soda, which has less caffeine, is ~70g of carbs. And I'm not gonna worry about the 6g of fat.

You're absolutely right that drinking black coffee, or an Americano would be better for me. But, since I tend to like my drinks at least cut with milk, it's not gonna work for me!

I'll do some online comparison between the aeropress and the moka, and see which looks better. Thanks!

Yes, it's definitely half the sugar, but it's still not the best substitute if you whole idea was getting rid of soda. Have you tried using something like stevia? It's the only thing I'll put in coffee aside from steamed milk.

Edit: You'd also be surprised that the better the coffee is, the less additives are really needed. Freshly roasted coffee I drink straight, otherwise I just do a splash of steamed skim milk.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 1, 2011

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
My brother and I want to get an espresso machine for my parents for Christmas, and we're willing to go up to ~$600 for one. The catch: they're hardcore Cuban coffee drinkers, so they only drink pre-ground La Llave coffee. Is an expensive machine wasted on them? We're looking at pricier machines because they've had a bunch of cheaper machines break down after a year or two.

He suggested this Breville, but I've read mixed things about their machines.

On a completely unrelated note: I'm a staunch tea drinker (loose leaf earl grey), but I'm open to trying coffee as long as it's sugar/milk-free. Any suggestions for good Houston-area coffeeshops?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

rockcity posted:

You'd also be surprised that the better the coffee is, the less additives are really needed.

This. Most coffees you get from starbucks or whatever have all of the nuanced sweetness roasted the gently caress out of them. A cup of perfectly roasted coffee has plenty of the body, complexity, and sweetness that people try to doctor up for.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

surrender posted:

My brother and I want to get an espresso machine for my parents for Christmas, and we're willing to go up to ~$600 for one. The catch: they're hardcore Cuban coffee drinkers, so they only drink pre-ground La Llave coffee. Is an expensive machine wasted on them? We're looking at pricier machines because they've had a bunch of cheaper machines break down after a year or two.

I wouldn't even bother if they're using pre-ground. It's probably the wrong grind for espresso anyway.

I've never used that Breville, but I don't think I could trust something with an integrated grinder.

quote:

On a completely unrelated note: I'm a staunch tea drinker (loose leaf earl grey), but I'm open to trying coffee as long as it's sugar/milk-free. Any suggestions for good Houston-area coffeeshops?

I was in Houston a few years back and this is the only coffee shop I went to. Fortunately it was pretty awesome. Back then, they almost exclusively did pour overs (a la Philz) but it looks like they diversified a bit.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

mattdev posted:

I wouldn't even bother if they're using pre-ground. It's probably the wrong grind for espresso anyway.

Yeah, why not spring for some really nice normal coffee gadgetry instead? Chemex brewer is a very attractive device, or a vac pot, or a Technivorm drip brewer with a thermal carafe would be a great buy.

edit: or all 3 and you're still well under $600 :)

lags fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 1, 2011

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Bob_McBob posted:

I get the feeling you've read the Aeropress advertising spiel and think you will be making espresso with it. Despite what its nutty inventor might claim, it makes a strong cup of nice coffee (with the right brew ratio and timing), not espresso.

i haven't read any advertising spiel other than rave reviews pretty much all over the entire internet. i'm not a big espresso guy anyway, i just want good tasting coffee. if i want espresso i guess i can go into minneapolis to some hipster-rear end coffee shop and buy a cup. but why would i? that's why i'm investing in this stuff.

AriTheDog posted:

I know I just recommended it, but get an Aeropress and maybe a Hario Skerton or Baratza Maestro grinder and you'll be able to make some very very good espresso-like coffee without spending a ton of cash.

i'll see about getting the skerton instead, i was just gonna get the hario mini. but i don't have the money for a maestro. like i said, start small and if i like what i taste, i can get a better grinder.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Thanks for the advice, guys. The coffee that they buy is an espresso grind, but y'all are right - an expensive espresso machine would be wasted on it. I'll see if I can convince them to try a Chemex or Technivorm. And thanks for the heads up on Catalina Coffee!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

surrender posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. The coffee that they buy is an espresso grind, but y'all are right - an expensive espresso machine would be wasted on it. I'll see if I can convince them to try a Chemex or Technivorm. And thanks for the heads up on Catalina Coffee!

A grinder is what you really want more than the method of brewing. Get them a decent burr grinder like something from Bartaza and and maybe a pour over like a chemex and a french press. Just getting fresh ground coffee is going to be a gigantic improvement.

You can get all of that for around $200.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

yokken posted:

i haven't read any advertising spiel other than rave reviews pretty much all over the entire internet. i'm not a big espresso guy anyway, i just want good tasting coffee. if i want espresso i guess i can go into minneapolis to some hipster-rear end coffee shop and buy a cup. but why would i? that's why i'm investing in this stuff.

i'll see about getting the skerton instead, i was just gonna get the hario mini. but i don't have the money for a maestro. like i said, start small and if i like what i taste, i can get a better grinder.

Word is that the mini is actually better than the skerton as it is spring loaded. It is just smaller.
The mini is fine, but not great. Better than any sub $50 electric at least.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

nm posted:

Word is that the mini is actually better than the skerton as it is spring loaded. It is just smaller.
The mini is fine, but not great. Better than any sub $50 electric at least.

If you "hack" your Skerton with a spring and 2 washers then it is fabulous, I think much better than the mini and easily better than many electrics costing twice as much or more. Without, it's fine for french press or other brewing methods tolerant of particle size variation and better than electric burrs at the same ($40) price point, but nothing special and certainly not an equal to the couple of quality $100ish burr grinders available.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

the problem with both is that they have a single point where the whole mechanism is held together. This causes play in the burrs which gives you some sloppy grinding. There are many hacks that are very easy and cheap that get around this, though.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

rockcity posted:

A grinder is what you really want more than the method of brewing.

Yeah I agree but I got the impression that they weren't willing to change the actual coffee source. Otherwise I agree.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
What "number" should I put my Baratza (starbucks version) grinder on for an Aeropress?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

lags posted:

Yeah I agree but I got the impression that they weren't willing to change the actual coffee source. Otherwise I agree.

I was assuming they'd be open to it, at least since the espresso maker he linked has one built in.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

hotsauce posted:

What "number" should I put my Baratza (starbucks version) grinder on for an Aeropress?

depends on how it's calibrated. That is actually pretty popular mod to do in order to use a maestro for espresso grinding, you can change the baseline closeness of the burrs by sacrificing the coarse end.

Anyway, what "number" you should put a grinder on for anything is kind of a loaded question. It depends on the coffee, it depends on the calibration of the machine as mentioned, it depends on your personal preference within the "proper" extraction range. I would start around the medium range of whatever you would consider "fine" and work around that. Under extracted? go finer, and vice versa.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

depends on how it's calibrated. That is actually pretty popular mod to do in order to use a maestro for espresso grinding, you can change the baseline closeness of the burrs by sacrificing the coarse end.

Anyway, what "number" you should put a grinder on for anything is kind of a loaded question. It depends on the coffee, it depends on the calibration of the machine as mentioned, it depends on your personal preference within the "proper" extraction range. I would start around the medium range of whatever you would consider "fine" and work around that. Under extracted? go finer, and vice versa.

Thanks. I know there isn't a "use this number and this number only" rule, but I am new to the grinder and have only used on the coarsest setting (for a French Press). I just wasn't sure if it was more towards espresso or coarse for the Aeropress.

I'll monkey with it in the AM. Thanks.

Edit: engrish

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 2, 2011

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Thanks to everyone who suggested the cheap burr grinders a few pages back, I'm probably going to settle on the Delongi KG79 as like I said before, in the UK you can only seem to get ultra cheap blade grinders or entry level grinders like this one before leaping to a the professional grade ones with barrel sized hoppers :) I gather from reviews its not the most amazing grinder but as I'm not doing espresso I assume it will suffice.

I see a lot of people in this thread praising the pour over method, presumably the only difference between this and a normal drip coffee maker is that it doesn't have the heat source underneath scorching the coffee? Does this mean if I just poured off the boil water over the coffee basket and straight into the coffee carafe would be pretty similar? (The shut off valve spring on the filter basket stopped working ages ago).

Also whats peoples opinions on filters? My coffee maker came with a nylon permanent filter, am I actually better off using paper filters rather than the permanent one?

Lord Dekks fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Hey everyone, super noob here who is thinking of getting into coffee. I'm not sure where to start, and as of now buying a coffee machine isn't very possible since I'm in a cluttered dorm room and am not sure where to put it (plus no available power sockets). I live in Philadelphia, so if anyone has any coffeeshop recs there, it would be awesome. Any recommendations for types of coffee? Also, is it better to drink it black or not? Some people told me that milk and sugar muddies the flavor, but others swear by it; it's all pretty confusing. Thanks in advance.