Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Picked up my first bottle of Laphroaig 10 year, and holy cow I don't know why I wasn't drinking more Scotch before. Just two days and a couple of glasses later and this may be my favorite liquor ever. Smokey and delicious and :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Aglet56 posted:

Picked up my first bottle of Laphroaig 10 year, and holy cow I don't know why I wasn't drinking more Scotch before. Just two days and a couple of glasses later and this may be my favorite liquor ever. Smokey and delicious and :swoon:
When that bottle runs dry, pick up Quarter Cask to compare. At least to me it amps up more of the good.

I stopped by the whisky shop tonight and watched someone come in, beeline to the glass case and tell the clerk to ring up two bottles of Port Ellen 9th Release. He was in and out in about 5 minutes, didn't even browse the rest of the selection.

As for me I grabbed a bottle of Hazelburn 12yr and Compass Box Hedonism. I was glad to learn that Hazelburn has only the faintest wisp of sulphur/burnt matches, unlike traditional Springbanks. Hedonism of course is a different beast altogether. It's a puffy marshmallow...there is some bourbon-like quality to the whisky, but it's so much more subtle and rounded.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 22, 2011

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I thought Laphroaig was good, particularly the QC... until I started drinking Ardbeg.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

logical fallacy posted:

I've heard mixed reports on the single barrel. A liquor store employee told me the Small Batch was better because then the Master Blender could create a specific flavor profile, whereas the Single Barrel was more left to chance. A liquor rep who had Four Roses in her portfolio told me about the same thing. But then I'll ask someone else and get a completely different story.

Whisky Mag has mixed reviews as well, not sure if this is from the same bottle/sample or not.

I think it comes down to luck in choosing a good bottle of the single barrel, which I've only tried once at a tasting and found it lacking in dimension compared to the bottle of small batch I had at home at the time.

Off topic now, I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask the other day, and while I'm not a huge fan of really smokey peat (I prefer Island peatiness more than Islay) I must say I love this bottle and I highly recommend it.

I'd agree with your assessment of Four Roses single barrel. I picked up a bottle not too long ago and while it was great for sipping, it did have a bit of a thin astringency that kind of stuck out. I have had the same whiskey other times and gotten something much richer, so it's definitely a bit up to chance.

Also, I think my next bottle is going to have to be the Laphroaig QC. I have heard nothing but stellar reviews.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

kidsafe posted:

As for me I grabbed a bottle of Hazelburn 12yr and Compass Box Hedonism. I was glad to learn that Hazelburn has only the faintest wisp of sulphur/burnt matches, unlike traditional Springbanks. Hedonism of course is a different beast altogether. It's a puffy marshmallow...there is some bourbon-like quality to the whisky, but it's so much more subtle and rounded.

I am a big fan of Compass Box, though perhaps oddly I definitely tend to prefer their lighter whiskies. Asyla is pretty delicious, as is Hedonism. I am very interested in trying either of their "Last Vatted" series, but am not willing to splurge for them for myself.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

logical fallacy posted:

Off topic now, I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask the other day, and while I'm not a huge fan of really smokey peat (I prefer Island peatiness more than Islay) I must say I love this bottle and I highly recommend it.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

(But seriously, on my 21st birthday my girlfriend bought me a bottle of the Quarter Cask and I knew that I'd made a love for life. She's pretty nice too).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Four Roses' Master Distiller, Jim Rutledge, has a good reputation. I met him a few years ago and he was sincerely interested in people's impressions of his whiskey. The bottle of Single Barrel I had at the time was outstanding but since it isn't sold in our state I haven't been able to sample it since. Shame to hear the consistency may not be there.

Interview with Jim Rutledge where he covers some history of the brand and development of the Single and Small Batch bourbons. He also discusses the difficulty in being consistent with a small distillery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A99Re52_QjQ

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I tried Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch at WhiskyFest is that I perceive the Single Barrel to be sweeter, but the interwebs generally says otherwise. I asked Rutledge about it and he agreed with me, but he may have just been saying that to be polite. I find Single Barrel to be their best expression by far assuming consistency.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 23, 2011

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

pork never goes bad posted:

I am a big fan of Compass Box, though perhaps oddly I definitely tend to prefer their lighter whiskies. Asyla is pretty delicious,

Bought this at the beginning of summer for hot weather drinking, and I was pretty impressed. It was very tasty.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ben Nevis posted:

Bought this at the beginning of summer for hot weather drinking, and I was pretty impressed. It was very tasty.

Nice user name.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

I thought Laphroaig was good, particularly the QC... until I started drinking Ardbeg.

Recommend me some Ardbeg, at a mid price (~$50) and higher end (~$80-100)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jahoodie posted:

Recommend me some Ardbeg, at a mid price (~$50) and higher end (~$80-100)
Well, I think the 10 is the only one that comes in around $50 - but for $60-$65, Uigeadail is fantastic.
I enjoyed Airigh Nam Beist as well which used to fit in the $100 range, but I think they replaced it. I haven't had the chance to try Alligator, Blasda, Corryvreckan or Supernova yet. If you see any of their limited (or just discontinued?) releases around, they're definitely worth picking up (see: Very Young, Still Young, Almost There and Renaissance).

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I've just finished my first bottle of single malt, a Benromach 10 yr old that was recommended to me by the manager of my local whiskey shop. I loved it; sweet caramel notes with a subtle smokiness, it was brilliant.

Now I want to branch out to something else, something in the 10-12 yr range around £30. Can anyone recommend something similar yet distinct to the Benromach or if not their favourite bottle at that price point?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Raffles posted:

I've just finished my first bottle of single malt, a Benromach 10 yr old that was recommended to me by the manager of my local whiskey shop. I loved it; sweet caramel notes with a subtle smokiness, it was brilliant.

Now I want to branch out to something else, something in the 10-12 yr range around £30. Can anyone recommend something similar yet distinct to the Benromach or if not their favourite bottle at that price point?

Get some Highland Park 12 year old.

Thank me later. :)

biglads fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 24, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I had some flask questions, and the main hits I've found on SA for that were in the old version of this thread. I take it the general consensus is: a) don't put anything acidic or sugary in them b) don't put anything expensive in them, or leave anything in them for long, c) they're a bitch to clean and even to dry out.

Regarding a) and somewhat b) I checked on titanium flasks, but they're generally $80 plus. To address c), I noticed there are "tube flasks" which seem like they'd be easy to clean with just a bottle cleaner, and as easy to dry as whatever else.

Is there really any difference between one make/type of stainless steel flask and any other, or are they pretty much all equivalent? If so, I'll probably get a couple steel tube flasks. I guess I could just get some test-tubes with good screw-caps, but that's even less sketchy than a flask, and also breakable. Portion size isn't so crucial, since I mainly want to get some so I can do the "Oh hay, I just got a bottle of [Krongstadt aquavit, Batavia-Arrack van Oosten] and you need to try a taste, I'll bring you some to take home."

Am I missing anything, or short of titanium I should just get whatever stainless flask is cheap, and the tube type might be easier to clean/dry?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The tube types hold WAY less than the hip flasks so there's that.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Whisky with my Dad after Thanksgiving dinner this evening:

Aberlour A'Bunadh - Sort of a toasty, sugary thing going on here. Nice and rich even with a little water. Kind of overpowering neat (nearly 60% ABV).

Balvenie 15 - I liked this a little less than the Aberlour. Kind of harsh to enjoy neat, I thought. With a long dash of water and a few minutes of rest, I found it had kind of a grassy aroma that was pretty pleasant.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Am I missing anything, or short of titanium I should just get whatever stainless flask is cheap, and the tube type might be easier to clean/dry?

I don't know anything about the relative quality of stainless flasks but this time of year, many distilleries will be selling gift packs with free flasks included. I have 3 or 4 from last year. Wild Turkey is the most expensive whiskey I'll put in one but I accidentally left AAA in a flask for about 4 months once and I tasted it out of curiosity, it was fine.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hudlinkin posted:

Any suggestions for good Irish Whiskeys? I've been drinking Bushmill's for a while but I'm wondering what else is worth checking out.

As someone who grew up in Ire;and, I'll heartily recommend Redbreast as a very well balanced whiskey at a decent price.

If you're feeling flush, you could go for the Middleton Very Rare as well.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Bought a bottle of Laphroaig QC after seeing it in this thread so much, and goddamn that is one manly whisky. I know what I'm drinking all winter now.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Jo3sh posted:

Whisky with my Dad after Thanksgiving dinner this evening:

Aberlour A'Bunadh - Sort of a toasty, sugary thing going on here. Nice and rich even with a little water. Kind of overpowering neat (nearly 60% ABV).

Balvenie 15 - I liked this a little less than the Aberlour. Kind of harsh to enjoy neat, I thought. With a long dash of water and a few minutes of rest, I found it had kind of a grassy aroma that was pretty pleasant.
A'bunadh seems to be a creative expression for Aberlour in that they don't really care about its consistency from batch to batch. On the other hand Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel is always the same...probably because the sweet notes overpower your tastebuds. There is a sort of irony here since A'bunadh is a vatting and the Balvenie is obviously sourced from just one cask.

I was surprised to find Lagavulin 12yr on the shelf at the local shop. It doesn't typically make it over here, so I couldn't resist...

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 27, 2011

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
So I graduated from whiskey and coke to just bourbon. I actually read the old thread and picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and have been drinking just that; it's excellent, but to be completely honest I couldn't tell you exactly why I like it better than Maker's/Jim Bean; it just had a better flavor but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Based on that, if I wanted to branch out more... any suggestions? Booker's and Woodford came up earlier in the thread when you guys were talking about it, might try those. I'm in Cincinnati so I would imagine I would have access to just about anything here, Kentucky is 5-10 minutes away. I apologize if this is way too vague for there to be a real answer.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Ellipson posted:

So I graduated from whiskey and coke to just bourbon. I actually read the old thread and picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and have been drinking just that; it's excellent, but to be completely honest I couldn't tell you exactly why I like it better than Maker's/Jim Bean; it just had a better flavor but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Based on that, if I wanted to branch out more... any suggestions? Booker's and Woodford came up earlier in the thread when you guys were talking about it, might try those. I'm in Cincinnati so I would imagine I would have access to just about anything here, Kentucky is 5-10 minutes away. I apologize if this is way too vague for there to be a real answer.

I'm a big fan of Buffalo Trace myself, Knob Creek is also good, and both will have better flavor than Maker's/Jim Beam. You might also want to try a rye whiskey of some sort, I had a bottle of Sazerac a while ago, and it was pretty nice.

wileyk
Oct 18, 2011
I've been on a bit oh a Johnnie Walker kick lately for some reason, probably because I re-discovered my love for Green Label. Went to the store yesterday and picked up the Double Black that they keep blowing up my email about and....

...Holy poo poo it's good. So much power. Reminds me more of Green than Black, has a serious islands note to it, but not as overwhelming as Laphroaig or Talisker. Worth picking up, especially since it's not going to be around for too long here in the States, from what they say.

Also, I'm a fan of the tinted bottle they put it in.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

wileyk posted:

Worth picking up, especially since it's not going to be around for too long here in the States, from what they say.

Really? I was overseas about two months ago, and I kept seeing it at the duty-free, and thought I missed the chance when I came home and didn't get it (Instead, I bought a bottle of Jura Superstition, Ardbeg Blasda, a Balvenie 14 rumcask, and a small Glenfiddich 15). I went to a nearby LCBO and saw it, so now I'm actually thinking of picking it up if it's going to be for a limited time.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mojo1701a posted:

Really? I was overseas about two months ago, and I kept seeing it at the duty-free, and thought I missed the chance when I came home and didn't get it (Instead, I bought a bottle of Jura Superstition, Ardbeg Blasda, a Balvenie 14 rumcask, and a small Glenfiddich 15). I went to a nearby LCBO and saw it, so now I'm actually thinking of picking it up if it's going to be for a limited time.
I imagine it'll be around enough...BevMo had tons when I went there. There was a ton of hype surround Ardbeg Alligator and Laphroaig Cairdeas, but both are still available on shelves here.

wileyk
Oct 18, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

Really? I was overseas about two months ago, and I kept seeing it at the duty-free,

It's always been available at Duty Free, but never in any other liquor store. I guess they decided there was enough demand for it that they'd give it a wide release, but everything I've read seems to suggest it's going to go back to Duty-free only after a short run.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Zelmel posted:

I'm a big fan of Buffalo Trace myself, Knob Creek is also good, and both will have better flavor than Maker's/Jim Beam. You might also want to try a rye whiskey of some sort, I had a bottle of Sazerac a while ago, and it was pretty nice.

Going to pick up one of these tomorrow. Thanks!

Also, tried Blanton's at a friends house this week. Almost a sweet taste for starters, definitely a lot different than the stuff I've tried so far.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Ellipson posted:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed, should be around the same price as the Four Roses Single.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I'm pretty new to drinking whiskey, but I'm enjoying what I've had so far. Earlier this week, I purchased a bottle of Canadian Club 6 Year. I enjoyed that so I purchased a bottle of the CC Reserve 10 Year. For a bottle under $20, it's fantastic. Can you guys recommend any other quality introductory bottles under $25-30?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I started drinking February this year at age 27. After making up for some lost ground (old Mormon faith kept me from imbibing before then, good riddance), I learned that I am principally a whiskey man. My main issue is that anything good costs too damned much. Without prompting or reason, I offer my whiskey/whisky assessment from someone who is very new and late to the drinking game:

Jim Beam White: An impulse buy when I was stocking up on Sailor Jerry rum. Smelled like rubbing alcohol, but was easy on the taste buds though harsh on the way down. Got me started on the whiskey train, but that was the last Jim Beam I ever bought.

Evan Williams Black: An acquired taste, but it grew on me. Needed to cut it with a few drops of water at first, but I began to enjoy it more and more. At $20 a 1.75 liter bottle, I see no reason not to keep it around. My bulk bourbon I drink for effect. I like it in a sour.

Wild Turkey 101: Bought this at a liquor store in San Fran when I was at Oracle Open World and began to run low on my Evan Williams in my hotel room. Paid too much, but it is much better than Evan Williams Black. I assumed the higher proof would blow me away, but it goes down smoother than Evan Williams Black. I love it, but it is literally 2x as expensive as Evan Williams Black where I live, and the wife watches the booze budget like a hawk. Gotta economize.

Maker's Mark: Bland. Got this as a sample bottle, never felt the need to revisit it.

Johnnie Walker Red: Got a sample of this as well, and it was my first smokey scotch. Didn't love or hate it, it was just there. Haven't felt the need to revisit it, though I wouldn't turn it down.

Elijah Craig 12 Year: Delicious, and much smoother than the previous three young bourbons. I paid too much for my first bottle, but now that I know where to get it for the same cost at Wild Turkey 101, I think I would pick Elijah Craig ahead of Wild Turkey. One critique is that after being aged 12 years it lacks the fire of other bourbons. This can be a good or bad thing depending upon your taste.

WL Weller 107 Antique: I put this in the same league as Elijah Craig 12, but bonus points since this one does not seem as mild/tepid as the 12. I chalk that up to 7 years aging rather than 12. I still prefer sipping Elijah Craig 12, but this makes one helluva Old Fashioned. I think I need to sip it neat again to remind me if I liked it better than the Elijah Craig.

Kirkland Small Batch: Impulse buy... and the only bourbon I really thought was a bad buy. I find it harsh, without enough character to really make me want to sip and savor it. I tried it in a sour and I think Evan Williams makes a better one. Maybe I need to try this one again with a touch of water. Others say it is good, but it just doesn't speak to me.

Glenlivet 12: Bought this expecting it to be a very approachable scotch, and it was. If this tells me anything it is that I love me some speyside. I find myself savoring a dram for about an hour at a time. I could nurse a bottle of this stuff all day long and not feel the effects since I tend to wash it over my tongue and sip it with such relish (haven't tried, probably wouldn't care to). Probably the cheapest single malt scotch I have found at ~$27 a bottle. This, sadly, represents the upper end of my price range for repeat buys now. :(

Clan MacGregor: The cheapest liquor I have bought, $14 for 1.75 liters. And it isn't bad. I find that it is much-less flavorful than Glenlivet 12, but for drinking for effect it is not bad at all. I would still choose a Glenlivet 12, but I can't argue with that price... So I can't give it a ringing endorsement, but I can't say I am too good for it, either.

Chivas Regal 12 year: Blended scotch, tasted much more like a bourbon than a scotch. I was disappointed since I have tons of bourbons to drink when I want something sweet. I want a warm, smokey experience with hints of apple, nuts, and other warmer scents. This was forgettable. And now I got to kill the rest of the fifth over the next several months. I am sure it is technically good, but it just doesn't tickle me like Elijah Craig or Glenlivet does. Hell, Clan MacGregor at least made an effort to bring some scotch flavor to the table.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Tripping the light fantastic
So I tried the Port Charlotte 6 year old last night, and oh man, was it delicious. It was very peaty, but at the same time had lots of nice sweet/fruity undertones to help balance it out. Easily the best scotch under 10 years that I've ever had, and it's really up there for one of the best I've had period.

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

Turnquiet posted:

Glenlivet 12: Bought this expecting it to be a very approachable scotch, and it was. If this tells me anything it is that I love me some speyside. I find myself savoring a dram for about an hour at a time. I could nurse a bottle of this stuff all day long and not feel the effects since I tend to wash it over my tongue and sip it with such relish (haven't tried, probably wouldn't care to). Probably the cheapest single malt scotch I have found at ~$27 a bottle. This, sadly, represents the upper end of my price range for repeat buys now. :(

I've found Highland Park 10 for $30 before.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

logical fallacy posted:

Aglet56 posted:

I haven't had Quarter Cask, but I have a bottle of Laphroaig 18 that I bought on my way back from a business trip to the US, and it's a very good friend of mine. I'd be happy to make the acquaintance of it's brother as soon as I can track him down.

I'm also working my way through a 750ml of 40 Creek. 40's not exactly Man Fuel, but it's a fantastic accessible Whisky. Especially delicious in a sufficiently dark coffee.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Just wanted to show my face and say I love Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I'm also working my way through a 750ml of 40 Creek. 40's not exactly Man Fuel, but it's a fantastic accessible Whisky. Especially delicious in a sufficiently dark coffee.

I've tried Forty Creek and it's one of the better Canadian Whisky's I've tried.
Canadian whisky in general isn't really "man fuel" because the style of whisky in Canada is very light.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Alberta Premium being one of the exceptions, though even that doesn't have the same edge as American ryes for whatever reason.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Just bought a bottle of Ardbeg 10, good lord this is amazing. So smoky and peaty. If you love really peaty scotch, do yourself a favor and buy a bottle.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

kidsafe posted:

Alberta Premium being one of the exceptions, though even that doesn't have the same edge as American ryes for whatever reason.

I haven't tried that one yet, but it might not do the new barrel aging like American ryes and bourbons do. The wood characteristics are a pretty major part of what makes American whiskeys, as I understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Killer robot posted:

The wood characteristics are a pretty major part of what makes American whiskeys, as I understand it.

Absolutely, since the laws surrounding Bourbon dictate the use of new white oak barrels every time, whereas with Scotch there is no such requirement and consequently the re-use of barrels is very common.