Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Crazy685 posted:

Just finished season 6. Not sure I liked 6 as much as I liked 5 but it was okay. It's starting to get a little far fetched IMO.

PS gently caress Billings oh my godddd gently caress Billings

Stick with it, amazing show in the final season.

This thread makes me want to go back and watch it all again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Ben is not cool posted:

Season 6 is really just the set up for 7. I think they were originally just supposed to be one season (or was it 5 & 6?), which is why it feels a little anticlimactic.

It was 5 and 6, hence Kavanaugh's brief bit at the start of 6 and the slightly shorter run of each one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I actually forgot how Glenn Close got Antoine, like you guys are describing. Mind refreshing my memory?

I do remember, at the beginning, thinking 'Oh god, they're just adding people in? Glenn Close? Really? In THIS show?'

And then, by the end of S4 I didn't want her to go. It was her turn in The Shield that made me pick up Damages, which almost feels like she's playing the same character, only without a badge. And way more lying. Way more.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Antoine was caught because Vic showed the Captain the video feed from Shane's car where Antoine asked Shane to kill Vic in trade for the body. "Body for a body"

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Crazy685 posted:

Just finished season 6. Not sure I liked 6 as much as I liked 5 but it was okay. It's starting to get a little far fetched IMO.

PS gently caress Billings oh my godddd gently caress Billings

The Shield is a show that is unlike any other that I've seen as far as taking everything from the whole series and having everyone deal with the consequences of it in the last one. Season 7 is the big payoff from the first 6, You have no clue what will happen because this show has killed off major characters before and the show is ending anyway and the final 2 episodes are unrivaled in tension, HOLY poo poo, and so forth.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Tutu posted:

Series 3 was pretty rubbish I thought, although the Aceveda arc was fantastically uncomfortable to watch. I wouldn't say it's as good as the Wire, just because the Wire delves so much further below the surface, whereas the Shield barely touches on the criminal side of things.

There isn't a single season of The Shield which is anything that could be remotely considered 'rubbish'.

Some of the seasons might not be as good as the others - for example I thought season 2 was a bit weaker. But it's one of *the best* series ever on television.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I started re-watching this show back in July and just finished last night. I loved the lead-up of season 7 to the finale. Everything really got tied up leaving no confusion (although a bit of ambiguity with the case Dutch was working on, but it wasn't really a cliffhanger)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Just finished season 7 of this, it's probably my favourite show ever. I usually really don't get "into" shows or movies I watch, like I can appreciate something telling a good story or being funny or whatever, without a real emotional response. But The Shield constantly makes my jaw drop. It's so suspenseful that I'm physically tired after watching an episode. I can't think of any other show that does this, even if The Wire is really good.

I tried reading this thread earlier and accidentally spoilered myself on a few major plot points because I'm a dumbass, but even after that I was completely blindsided by what actually happened. That's some good story telling.

Anyway so I'm thinking of getting a Shield avatar. I totally should.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

DS at Night posted:

I tried reading this thread earlier and accidentally spoilered myself on a few major plot points because I'm a dumbass, but even after that I was completely blindsided by what actually happened. That's some good story telling.

I'm hard pressed to think of any show that could be spoiled on the level that the Shield could be. Heck, even just after the pilot someone could give you two sentences and spoil the finale and THE BIG TWIST, and you'd have at least some idea of what they were talking about. To top that off, no matter how much sense they make in the context of the story, just about everybody is blind-sided by them when they happen. Compare this to Lost. If somebody tried to explain the finale right after the pilot, it'd take a couple of minutes to lay the groundwork for anything to make any sense. And anyone who didn't at least guess that (Lost finale spoiler) Jack would be the chosen one just isn't paying attention.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I'm surprised no one else mentioned it in the thread but, if you go on the dialogue in the finale, Vic's contract with ICE expired last Friday. Shawn Ryan was talking about it on twitter the past few days.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This has been posted a bunch of times before, but goddammit if this isn't the best Shield-related video ever loving made.

Don't watch if you haven't finished the show. poo poo, don't watch if you haven't finished Season 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJgJWbvkxjo

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
Hey, did you guys know this is objectively the best television show ever made?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This has been posted a bunch of times before, but goddammit if this isn't the best Shield-related video ever loving made.

Don't watch if you haven't finished the show. poo poo, don't watch if you haven't finished Season 5.

Wrong, this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45MLkPWl8CM

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Seriously, do not watch this if you haven't seen the entire show. But if you have, it's always a beautiful and painful watch. I still flinch a bit at the beat that's synchronized with The Moment.

The only bad thing is that the video made me miss Walton Goggins in Justified again, but it's only a couple more months before that returns.

I love you guys, I love this thread, and I love this show.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Gave me chills, time for a rewatch. I haven't seen the show since it first aired.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

isk posted:

Seriously, do not watch this if you haven't seen the entire show. But if you have, it's always a beautiful and painful watch. I still flinch a bit at the beat that's synchronized with The Moment.

The only bad thing is that the video made me miss Walton Goggins in Justified again, but it's only a couple more months before that returns.

I love you guys, I love this thread, and I love this show.

I've heard I should check out Justified, as it's on Netflix (at least season 1 is). I take it you'd vote for me to do so as well?

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I've heard I should check out Justified, as it's on Netflix (at least season 1 is). I take it you'd vote for me to do so as well?

You should! Much like The Shield the first season is a bit more episodic and then becomes more serial as it goes on, but it's great show.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Absolutely. Goggins plays a considerably different character as Boyd Crowder, but it's no less compelling. The rest of the cast is really good, too (Margo Martindale deservedly won Best Supporting Actress in Season 2) with some of the best dialogue and characterization on TV. People talk about one thing while implying they're talking about another thing, and everyone's got their little quirks that feel genuine instead of kitschy or boring.

Fair warning - some folks take a few episodes to warm up to the series, as after the pilot you have the stock Elmore Leonard villains of the week who aren't too bright or scary. Personally I loved them, but the series really gets going with Long in the Tooth. Afterwards, you see a much more serialized story arc.

*edit - Also, the first quote unquote big shootout is admittedly not all that great. But that's the exception - overall, the scenes involving guns are tense with lots of HOLY poo poo moments.

If an OP for season 3 isn't up already, I'm sure DivisionPost or someone equally awesome will get it up there. I'd recommend seeing the first 2 seasons before checking it out just to be sure you don't get spoiled (and you don't want to be), but the threads are usually active and positive in tone.

It's funny, charming, heartbreaking, and entertaining. And in case you want to go the next level, the DVD/Blu-Ray sets are reasonably priced.

isk fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 28, 2011

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

@JohnSolbergFX posted:

Vic Mackey's 3-year deal with ICE ends today. Back on the streets. @ShawnRyanTV @MichaelChiklis #ImissTheShield

"you gotta be shittin' me!"

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Free Gardocki!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Gardocki sucks, I never got TVIV's affection for him. What a lovely character for 100% of the series, his only worth was getting his face grilled and riling the Strike Team up.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 30, 2011

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I think he has had more lines this season in Sons of Anarchy then he had in the first 3 or 4 seasons of The Shield.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Isn't The Shield like a few years behind real world time since the whole show only spans like 3-4 years tops? So Vic would have been out of ICE for a while.

Also who else is excited for Rampart? Considering how much of the Shield was based on this scandal and how awesome Woody Harrelson is I cant wait to see this.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 1, 2011

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

If indeed it has been posted before, I've missed it each time. Thanks for bringing it back - well worth the watch.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Disarm is seared in my mind and anytime I hear it I think about The Shield.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Isn't The Shield like a few years behind real world time since the whole show only spans like 3-4 years tops? So Vic would have been out of ICE for a while.

Also who else is excited for Rampart? Considering how much of the Shield was based on this scandal and how awesome Woody Harrelson is I cant wait to see this.

Holy gently caress, I just watched the trailer. Wow. Definitely can't wait.

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh
As much as I loved season 5 - Whitaker outshined every character for me - season 6 and 7, I have to say that season 4 was my favorite season. I think the transition from the end of season 3 where The strike team falls apart to the start of season 4 where everyone is doing there own thing really threw me for a loop and sets up perfectly. The transition from 5 to 6 and then 6 to 7 parallel this - with much more dire consequences. In fact the reason why season 5 and on work so well is because these particular character dynamics already played out once before.

It was so interesting to see Shane working as a dirty cop for Antwon with his own partner. Meanwhile we see how much better off Lem is without the influences of Vic and Shane. I feel it is important that this was established because it makes it hit home how much Shane and Vic were responsible for Lem's final fate. And then there's Vic. When he learns about Shane's dealings it hits him hard and he is left trying to find a way to fix everything. IIRC he contemplates killing Shane at some point, right? Of course he ends up saving him.. I just found it so enthralling to watch how the strike team ended up getting back together after such a emotionally charged split.

Of course that wouldn't have been half as interesting without a very strong supporting cast. Glen Close and Anthony Anderson absolutely hit it perfectly for me. Close as Rawling and her no-nonsense policing which leads to major conflict with the top brass and Aceveda. I was there with her through all the bureaucratic bullshit; when she was frustrated I was frustrated because it felt so real.

Anthony Anderson as Antwon. If there was one thing Anthony did, it was give us the villain that I felt the Shield deserved. I was fine with Amarillo. His arc was good, but Antwon was in a whole different league. There was no question, from his first visit to the barn, that he was a big-time badass not to be hosed with. Antwon was an absolutely menacing presence through the entire season that only grew more imposing each episode. It was so thrilling to see Shane slowly crack to the point of helplessness under the thumb of Antwon, first with Shane thinking he has some semblance of leverage over Antwon until by the end it is abundantly clear that Shane was Antwon's bitch. As often as I yo-yoed about hating Shane and Vic through out The Shield, my hope was that they would somehow bring him down hard (and boy did they).

Afterwards, any Antwon appearances were a high note. Even behind bars he was just as menacing.

Damnit, I want to re-watch The Shield (just finished it 3 months ago).

P.S: loving Billings, man. Absolutely perfect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alpha Lyrae posted:

As much as I loved season 5 - Whitaker outshined every character for me - season 6 and 7, I have to say that season 4 was my favorite season. I think the transition from the end of season 3 where The strike team falls apart to the start of season 4 where everyone is doing there own thing really threw me for a loop and sets up perfectly. The transition from 5 to 6 and then 6 to 7 parallel this - with much more dire consequences. In fact the reason why season 5 and on work so well is because these particular character dynamics already played out once before.

It was so interesting to see Shane working as a dirty cop for Antwon with his own partner. Meanwhile we see how much better off Lem is without the influences of Vic and Shane. I feel it is important that this was established because it makes it hit home how much Shane and Vic were responsible for Lem's final fate. And then there's Vic. When he learns about Shane's dealings it hits him hard and he is left trying to find a way to fix everything. IIRC he contemplates killing Shane at some point, right? Of course he ends up saving him.. I just found it so enthralling to watch how the strike team ended up getting back together after such a emotionally charged split.

Of course that wouldn't have been half as interesting without a very strong supporting cast. Glen Close and Anthony Anderson absolutely hit it perfectly for me. Close as Rawling and her no-nonsense policing which leads to major conflict with the top brass and Aceveda. I was there with her through all the bureaucratic bullshit; when she was frustrated I was frustrated because it felt so real.

Anthony Anderson as Antwon. If there was one thing Anthony did, it was give us the villain that I felt the Shield deserved. I was fine with Amarillo. His arc was good, but Antwon was in a whole different league. There was no question, from his first visit to the barn, that he was a big-time badass not to be hosed with. Antwon was an absolutely menacing presence through the entire season that only grew more imposing each episode. It was so thrilling to see Shane slowly crack to the point of helplessness under the thumb of Antwon, first with Shane thinking he has some semblance of leverage over Antwon until by the end it is abundantly clear that Shane was Antwon's bitch. As often as I yo-yoed about hating Shane and Vic through out The Shield, my hope was that they would somehow bring him down hard (and boy did they).

Afterwards, any Antwon appearances were a high note. Even behind bars he was just as menacing.

Damnit, I want to re-watch The Shield (just finished it 3 months ago).

P.S: loving Billings, man. Absolutely perfect.

I totally agree, S4 was, by far, my favourite season (with 6 being the weakest, only because it's a set-up season... still loved it). Remind me, what was it that made Antwon cry? I remember seeing a shot with him with tears down his face. My guess is that it was from Vic spewing a bunch of "this is what's going to happen to you" stuff, but I can't remember.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I totally agree, S4 was, by far, my favourite season (with 6 being the weakest, only because it's a set-up season... still loved it). Remind me, what was it that made Antwon cry? I remember seeing a shot with him with tears down his face. My guess is that it was from Vic spewing a bunch of "this is what's going to happen to you" stuff, but I can't remember.

I think when they showed His son taking it up the rear end and enjoying it

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
"a back full of shiv and an rear end full of cum." Truly, the best line of Glenn Close's career.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Actually, Antwon's crying when Glenn Close's character is beating him with how his dad used to rape his little sister and how Antwon did nothing to stop it.

edit: They gave that line to Shane, didn't they?

Andrew Verse fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 15, 2011

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Elijya posted:

"a back full of shiv and an rear end full of cum." Truly, the best line of Glenn Close's career.

Yeah, too bad she refused to say it.

I too feel that season 4 misses out on the love it deserves.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, too bad she refused to say it.

I too feel that season 4 misses out on the love it deserves.

Season 4 was the season that didn't seem to go anywhere during first airing since with 7 days between episodes you kinda lose out on the small details. But upon repeated viewings, the season totally owns and is really masterful.

Typing that paragraph out now means I have to binged through the series again. "Have to"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is it the start of season 4 where they open with the controversy over the dog shooting and Vic plants a gun on the dog and tells the Chief of Police,"He had no choice, dude was packing! :haw:"

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Yep, and that's the first introduction of Scooby. Don't recall if Carl is in the scene or not, but it just dawned on me that's probably why Scooby got the nickname "Scooby" :aaaaa:

spabz
Dec 28, 2007

I just spoiled myself on some major plot points for the series (loving youtube sidebars). I can't muster up the will to put in the season 5 dvds.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Do it. The knowledge will only build tension, and besides, as big of a kick in the gut as that is, there's still a lot of surprises and OH gently caress intensity on the road to the shows conclusion.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

spabz posted:

I just spoiled myself on some major plot points for the series (loving youtube sidebars). I can't muster up the will to put in the season 5 dvds.

Yeah, like the above poster said, DEFINITELY keep going. That plot point, while crazy if you don't expect it, is still masterful and captivating when you see it.

EDIT: I just remembered that I, as well, had this ruined for me. Seriously. I already knew what was going to happen, and I still think that it's amazing.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I was spoiled about season 5 and it was still one of the most intense seasons of television I've ever watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Yep, and that's the first introduction of Scooby. Don't recall if Carl is in the scene or not, but it just dawned on me that's probably why Scooby got the nickname "Scooby" :aaaaa:

Yeah, it was only on my 3rd or 4th time through the series that I realized this.

• Locked thread