Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
saw a little red sportscar (unsure of make, it was a convertible and really small, think it was british) sitting on the side of the street with a lower balljoint that had thrown in the towel. Must have hit some of the potholes in the previous intersection, it's a pretty ugly one.

I suspect it was more of a horrible mechanic failure than a horrible mechanical failure, the guy said he'd never replaced the balljoints in the 15+ years he'd owned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It's also completely irrelevant for anything other than high-end racing series.

Tires, wheels, valves etc. have been designed and built for more than a century to handle atmospheric air and normal moisture levels. The only reason to use nitrogen is to have slightly more predictable pressure fluctuation due to temperature. Or if you live in a swamp and your pump doesn't have a functioning moisture trap, I guess.

Think about it, even if you fill your tires with fancy non-reactive nitrogen, the outside of the tire is made from the same rubber and is constantly exposed to atmospheric air and UV light. They will dry rot and crack long before the insides are harmed to any measurable degree by the oxygen in the air inside them.

I have never seen the inside of a tire or wheel have any noticeable corrosion or damage due to moisture or oxygen, but I have seen plenty of tires that were cracked and dry rotted on the outside, yet looked completely pristine on the inside. As well as steel wheels being covered in rust on the outside from road salt and damage, yet smooth as they day they were made on the inside.

Nitrogen in tires is a gigantic scam unless you're in a high-end racing series.

The only way to pump in the moisture is to use a direct pump like the 12v cigarette lighter plugin deals. Any system that uses a tank is going to have a moisture trap and dry air performs almost identically to nitrogen, since it's already 78% nitrogen. I would say nitrogen is a scam unless you're in an aircraft.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Pure (I think) nitrogen gets used in F1 tyres to reduce the amount of tyre pressure change with temperature, presumably because pure nitrogen has a slightly higher specific heat than air. If you're not an F1 team there's probably not a whole lotta reason to use nitrogen except to empty your bank account a bit faster.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mr.Peabody posted:

The only way to pump in the moisture is to use a direct pump like the 12v cigarette lighter plugin deals. Any system that uses a tank is going to have a moisture trap and dry air performs almost identically to nitrogen, since it's already 78% nitrogen. I would say nitrogen is a scam unless you're in an aircraft.

I'm using one of these cheap foot pump dealies, so I'm filling my tires with however humid air is around me at the time. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

A broken CV joint would just result in the car coasting to the side of the road, possibly with chunks of the joint or bearings hitting the road.

That would be either a tie rod failure or ball joint failure.

If it's a 2000 Lexus it's almost definitely a lower ball joint failure. Unfortunately they can fail by 75k miles, so you can find plenty of horror stories on the Lexus forums.

Ballcock
Jul 1, 2005

Safety Control Rod Axe Man
In Formula 1, Ferrari actually used HFCs (R404a) and CO2 in their tyres for a while for improved heat transfer from the tyre to the wheel. I think it might actually be a form of phase change cooling, with the freon evaporating from the inside surface of the tyre and condensing on the rim.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/speedtvcom_exclusive_f1_racecar_engineering--secrets_of_the_f2007

I give it 5 more years until it catches on as an optional extra.

Ballcock fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 1, 2011

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm using one of these cheap foot pump dealies, so I'm filling my tires with however humid air is around me at the time. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

The compressor I use for filling the tyres on everything is built from old truck parts. I doubt it does much in the way of moisture trapping. No problems here.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

It's also completely irrelevant for anything other than high-end racing series.

It doesn't even have to be high-end. Tire pressures will vary greatly in any racing, and anything helps. For someone doing track days or even SCCA/NASA type amateur racing, you could be qualifying in the chilly early morning under cloud cover, and racing just after noon when the sun hits the pavement and everything gets sweltering.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

It doesn't even have to be high-end. Tire pressures will vary greatly in any racing, and anything helps. For someone doing track days or even SCCA/NASA type amateur racing, you could be qualifying in the chilly early morning under cloud cover, and racing just after noon when the sun hits the pavement and everything gets sweltering.

Dude that ran the Dunlop truck around here pretty much said straight up (to a large group of customers) unless you're running top of AMA then it's not going to make a difference.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ballcock posted:

...or until ricers figure out a way to fill their tires with R134a refill cans from Autozone.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Yeah, this and that. If you check and adjust your tire pressures regularly, you're not going to see a benefit from nitrogen. Unless you check your tire pressures annually, or you're driving an actual race car, you can get as good a performance as by just checking and adjusting your tires 4 times a year.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

some texas redneck posted:

A broken CV joint would just result in the car coasting to the side of the road, possibly with chunks of the joint or bearings hitting the road.

That would be either a tie rod failure or ball joint failure.

When the front right CV went out on my Subaru, that's pretty much exactly what happened. That was the day I found out that the vehicle speed sensor is attached to the drivetrain before it connects to the wheel, so my speedo said I was going 85mph when I was pretty clearly running about 85mph less than that. But yeah, no smoke or wheels exploding or anything like that, just a nice leisurely slowdown accompanied by horrific grinding noises from the right side of the car and horrific swearing from my mouth.

Ballcock posted:

In Formula 1, Ferrari actually used HFCs (R404a) and CO2 in their tyres for a while for improved heat transfer from the tyre to the wheel. I think it might actually be a form of phase change cooling, with the freon evaporating from the inside surface of the tyre and condensing on the rim.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/speedtvcom_exclusive_f1_racecar_engineering--secrets_of_the_f2007

Street racers will call cars with it "Hella Iced" and there'll be all sorts of web forums devoted to how many BHP you get for every degree the temperature in your tire drops.

Then Weapon R will start selling blue billet aluminum valve caps that say "ICE" on them, "for an aggressive performance look sure to impress and intimidate."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Skyssx posted:

Yeah, this and that. If you check and adjust your tire pressures regularly, you're not going to see a benefit from nitrogen. Unless you check your tire pressures annually, or you're driving an actual race car, you can get as good a performance as by just checking and adjusting your tires 4 times a year.

4 times a year is probably a bit too lenient. I check mine every couple of weeks and I usually have to add .1 bar or so. That could add up over a three-month period.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Rujo King posted:

When the front right CV went out on my Subaru, that's pretty much exactly what happened. That was the day I found out that the vehicle speed sensor is attached to the drivetrain before it connects to the wheel, so my speedo said I was going 85mph when I was pretty clearly running about 85mph less than that. But yeah, no smoke or wheels exploding or anything like that, just a nice leisurely slowdown accompanied by horrific grinding noises from the right side of the car and horrific swearing from my mouth.

That sounds much more laid back than my subaru. I've had an axle seize. That makes horrible voilent drivetrain shaking and apparently breaks your pitch stopper bracket.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KozmoNaut posted:

4 times a year is probably a bit too lenient. I check mine every couple of weeks and I usually have to add .1 bar or so. That could add up over a three-month period.

You have a slow leak, probably at the bead. My v70 needs 2 psi every week or so on one wheel, I submerged it in a kiddiepool & found the leak, but it needs a new or refurbished wheel and :effort:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cakefool posted:

You have a slow leak, probably at the bead. My v70 needs 2 psi every week or so on one wheel, I submerged it in a kiddiepool & found the leak, but it needs a new or refurbished wheel and :effort:
Pah, one wheel on my E46 does down from 35psi to 15 in a week or so! Thank god I'm putting my winter tyres on this weekend, and my summer wheels are getting new rubber in the new year.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

...or until ricers figure out a way to fill their tires with R134a refill cans from Autozone.

It'll get even better when they learn that propane is a better refrigerant.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

It's always been like that, on three different sets of tires and two different sets of wheels.

Both the original tires on steelies, winter tires on steelies and summer tires on alloys do it. But oddly enough, even after having been stored all winter (4 months), the winter tires had only lost .2 bar.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

InitialDave posted:

It'll get even better when they learn that propane is a better refrigerant.

I can't wait for this to become a thing. Someone alert the Darwin Awards.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

stump posted:

Pah, one wheel on my E46 does down from 35psi to 15 in a week or so! Thank god I'm putting my winter tyres on this weekend, and my summer wheels are getting new rubber in the new year.

the rear right tire on my red jeep will go from 50psi to 10 in a matter of days... I know it has something stuck in it but I can't find it, and it's a nearly worn out stock tire anyways. When I have some time I'm gonna throw one of the ones from the yard on it. Till then, I pump it up every few days (I only fill it to 50 so it lasts a day or two longer, it's supposed to get 35psi.)

I really hate that one, depending on what day it is I'm either in the 'gently caress working on this stupid thing' mood or the 'whip it till it dies and then junk it' mood. Now that I think about it, they're basically the same.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Mercedes has done it for a long time. Propane, Propene, Propylene, Butane, and Isobutane make great refrigerants. Not particularly dangerous, considering there's a tank of several gallons of hydrocarbons behind the driver already... What harm in a few more ounces up front?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
...at 30-100 psi.

I'd probably still do it though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's is a thing, and it's not particularly dangerous at all. Most of the R12 replacements (like Freeze-12) are mostly propane.

It's a lovely substitute for R-12, but actually works a bit better than R-134a in the right application.

revmoo posted:

...at 30-100 psi.

Try 200+ when compressed in an AC system.

Propane's vapor pressure is 150 PSI at 90F/32C. So your gas grill tank is holding that pressure of propane all summer long.

Edit: revmoo wasn't talking about refrigerant pressures at all, now....was he? I'm a dumbass.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 1, 2011

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

revmoo posted:

...at 30-100 psi.

I too have a persistant leak(someday I'll have it remounted and new valve stem, its one of the two...) and I do the same thing. The plate in the glove box says "32 PSI cold" and SOP for me is 36 PSI "hot" but I fill the problematic one to 40. Sidewall says max inflation 45PSI so I'm not concerned there, and I figure the slight overinflation for part of the mileage evens out the wear for the day or two that its down around 24psi before I top it up again...

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Cakefool posted:

That's a great idea! Thanks dude :coolfish:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

It's is a thing, and it's not particularly dangerous at all. Most of the R12 replacements (like Freeze-12) are mostly propane.

It's a lovely substitute for R-12, but actually works a bit better than R-134a in the right application.

Try 200+ when compressed in an AC system.

Propane's vapor pressure is 150 PSI at 90F/32C. So your gas grill tank is holding that pressure of propane all summer long.

Edit: revmoo wasn't talking about refrigerant pressures at all, now....was he? I'm a dumbass.

If I could actually repair the leak in my AC system myself, I'd be tempted to try propane. The volume is probably quite a bit larger than the amount that occasionally does a surprise disassembly of sections of the intake from time to time, but is it really much worse than r134a? I wish I could buy that poo poo off the shelf here. I've seen it in hobby stores but only with the airbrush. It'd be too tempting to get an aircon refill kit into the country a piece at a time to save hundreds of $ whenever the stupid thing shits itself.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
I think Motronic was saying propane is lovely as a substitute for R-12. IIRC propane works better than R134a in a R134a system.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

^
I think Motronic was saying propane is lovely as a substitute for R-12. IIRC propane works better than R134a in a R134a system.

Yes...that. I suck at explaining things sometimes.

Propane works somewhat as well as R-12. It works much better than R-134a. So if you put it in an R-134a system (which is that same as an R-12 system with different oil and, more importantly, a larger evaporator and condenser to make up with the inefficiency of R-134a) it kicks rear end. Sometimes too much, and you end up freezing the evaporator. Even better is R-12 in an R-134a system. You can turn your car into a meat locker/reefer truck.

As a bonus, Propane will mix with either PAG or POE oils (although POE is a better choice as it's more soluble in that then PAG).

Sorry about the refrigeration 'sperge. It's plumbing for nerds, and I got into it several years back.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 2, 2011

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

You'll never notice, but the water vapor will expand and contract more than dry air with the temperature change in a tire. So you'll have a larger variation between a cold tire reading and warm tire reading than you would if you used dry air.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mr.Peabody posted:

You'll never notice, but the water vapor will expand and contract more than dry air with the temperature change in a tire. So you'll have a larger variation between a cold tire reading and warm tire reading than you would if you used dry air.

I know, but the difference will be so slight as to not matter at all.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
And as a bonus, the propane will let you know that your AC system is leaking automatically, with its odor-based warning system!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Actually, consumer-grade propane gas (and friends) is treated with an esther so it smells like "gas".

Friend of mine is a chemist, and once the entire lab reeked of gas. They evacuated, until one on the guys thought it over, and realized that a byproduct of whatever he was making was the particular esther that smells like gas.

(I'm no chemist, so the details are probably not quite right in this story.)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sponge! posted:

Mercedes has done it for a long time. Propane, Propene, Propylene, Butane, and Isobutane make great refrigerants. Not particularly dangerous, considering there's a tank of several gallons of hydrocarbons behind the driver already... What harm in a few more ounces up front?

I mean in the tires.

Please don't tell me that's actually a thing...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
If propane is such a great refrigerant, why don't we use it instead of R-134a?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

grover posted:

Won't it ruin the environment? It was popular for awhile in the 90s as R12 was really getting phased out and R134a wasn't quite there yet (oils were wrong or something).

If I had to guess, the safest solution would be to blend propane with something else, but I don't know what kind of pressures R12 systems run as I've never serviced one.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 2, 2011

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

grover posted:

It worse for the environment, and holds a lot of water vapor (which makes it a poor choice for the longevity of a refrigeration system). I don't think the "it burns!" parts is really any of it.

I've never seen an actual reason from someone official - NHTSA, EPA, etc. But those are the reasons I can think of off the top of my head. Considering Freeze-12 and the other azeotroipc blends have so much propane in them, it's probably not safety related.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

grover posted:

Imagine it leaking after a frontal collision on a car that's on fire. Lawyers alone would stop most companies from even trying it commercially.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Joe Mama posted:

Imagine it leaking after a frontal collision on a car that's on fire. Lawyers alone would stop most companies from even trying it commercially.

No - that's a feature!. If there's an accident at night, the emergency lighting system automatically deploys...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There is a remarkably small amount of propane in an ac system, not enough to worry about in a crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cakefool posted:

There is a remarkably small amount of propane in an ac system, not enough to worry about in a crash.

Yeah.

There are very few things that we could put in a car that are worse than leaking gasoline vapors since they are heavier than air. Hydrogen is even better (since it rises and will generally escape and be diffused.)