Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
:psyduck:

Colour me surprised. I'm... not a fan of South Park, so I'll be sitting this one out, but... hey, I can't be negative because I love Obsidian a lot, so all the best to them.

e: vvv :lol:

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
When I said make another Fallout game, I should have added that if that wasn't your first choice, please don't make a South Park RPG your second.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Welp, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to pay the bills, but still... :stare:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

South Park is still going strong 14 seasons in so this is pretty cool in my eyes.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Welp I have ignored this thread for like a month due to Skyrim, but I want to update the OP. Start posting your 800x450 HUD-less screenshots of your characters!

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
turn the OP into high-definition shots of a cartman courier

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So uhh....Fallout on Steam is 20 bucks while the DLC is 45 :stare: Any chance Best Buy will have some kind of bundle deal or something?

e:Ah, looks like something is coming out in February. Guess I'll wait until then

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

You somehow managed to miss the big-rear end Halloween sale where the game+all DLC was 16ish dollar.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I just wanted to say that after picking up and playing skyrim a few hours, new vegas seems like an even better game.
Maybe the whole "go forth and slay thy dragon" schtick is starting to wear out its welcome.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oh no rope kid, oh no.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, Bethesda probably has first crack on Fallout games made in the Skyrim engine, so they need to do something until they're allowed to start working on "Fallout: New Dallas" or whatever.

Though I do admit that South Park is kind of an odd license property to make a game out of. The last South Park game wasn't exactly well received.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
They should really do Fallout: New Milwaukee

For some reason the lack of games set in upper midwest is sad :(

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Rinkles posted:

Since we're all a bunch of Obsidian fanboys round these parts, I think it's appropriate to share here.

They're working on a SOUTH PARK game

edit:thread

This is gonna own I dunno what you guys are on about :colbert:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Sloober posted:

Got to be New Orleans. You got a city with character, you got the Bayou environment, you got some mutated crocs, you got some crazy Bayou redneck faction, you got some people speaking French, maybe the final quest has something to do with poo poo going down at Mardi Gras, it sounds tight.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Monicro posted:

I would have said so too fourteen years ago, but then I grew up and got sick of the creators using South Park as a libertarian soapbox.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Zedd posted:

You somehow managed to miss the big-rear end Halloween sale where the game+all DLC was 16ish dollar.

I don't log on to Steam much :shobon:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I just wanted to say that after picking up and playing skyrim a few hours, new vegas seems like an even better game.
Maybe the whole "go forth and slay thy dragon" schtick is starting to wear out its welcome.

It really does. Exploration in new vegas was fun. Just doing the quests in Skyrim made me want to TCL just to get around the pointless obstacles.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Sloober posted:

It's almost as if the Midwest is boring as poo poo!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rinkles posted:

Since we're all a bunch of Obsidian fanboys round these parts, I think it's appropriate to share here.

They're working on a SOUTH PARK game

edit:thread

What in the mother of gently caress is going on here.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

What in the mother of gently caress is going on here.

Just go to bed, when you wake up tomorrow it will never have happened.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Monicro posted:

Agreed. I'd play this just for the sheer WTF factor- how will Chris Avellone handle THIS?

DIT: Just saw it wasn't for PC :(

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 2, 2011

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

CommissarMega posted:

Agreed. I'd play this just for the sheer WTF factor- how will Chris Avellone handle THIS?

With grace and aplomb, like everything else.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

CommissarMega posted:

And the South Park writers are writing it, not Avellone.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

CommissarMega posted:

GameInformer posted:

Thanks to a collaboration with THQ and Obsidian, Parker and Stone are writing the script, performing the dialogue, and overseeing the development of South Park: The Game. Unlike the cash-in Acclaim titles from over a decade ago, this ambitious project is a full-scale RPG for the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and PC.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009
I'm going to make another go at this game, would anyone be kind enough to give me a quick spoiler free rundown of how to own a house?

I didn't get too far in my first playthrough because I got bogged down by inventory management. I had the same problem in Fallout 3 before I got the house in Megaton. Also Borderlands I guess. Invariably I have to loot and keep every gun in the world readily available. Some part of my brain just does not accept limited weapon slots in FPS games, despite the RPG nature. My only salvation was the infinite shelf space in the Megaton house and the courier mailboxes just weren't cutting it in NV.

So can anyone help me? What's the quickest way to go after creating a new character?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Overweight Shark posted:

I'm going to make another go at this game, would anyone be kind enough to give me a quick spoiler free rundown of how to own a house?

I didn't get too far in my first playthrough because I got bogged down by inventory management. I had the same problem in Fallout 3 before I got the house in Megaton. Also Borderlands I guess. Invariably I have to loot and keep every gun in the world readily available. Some part of my brain just does not accept limited weapon slots in FPS games, despite the RPG nature. My only salvation was the infinite shelf space in the Megaton house and the courier mailboxes just weren't cutting it in NV.

So can anyone help me? What's the quickest way to go after creating a new character?

You get a nice house for free around the time you reach the Strip. If you're brave you can head directly there right from the start, but that passes through deathclaw country so you're better off just following the main quest line until it takes you to that point. If you ignore sidequests you can get there pretty quick.

Alternatively you could try to break your packrat habit. I know it's hard, I have the same problem! But this is the kind of game where it just gets ridiculous trying to pick up everything you can because there's just too much stuff. You have to learn to leave stuff behind. If you want you can always pick spots to use as temporary stashes and remember where they are so you can go back and retrieve them later. Like a real survivor!

*edit*

There's also that, though it doesn't have all the amenities of the house in the Strip.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 2, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Talk to the owner of the hotel in Novac.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for the quick responses. Yeah, I need to work on the packrat urge. And the pickpocket urge. Will look into those options though, can always come back for sidequests later.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's also that, though it doesn't have all the amenities of the house in the Strip.

I stash everything in the boxes near the benches in Goodsprings. There's a shop, bar, and doctor all within easy reach.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Grand Fromage posted:

Talk to the owner of the hotel in Novac.

Yeah, basically this.
I never bothered with the apartment on the Strip simply because I would reach Novac dozens of hours before the Strip and I'd just offload all of my gear there and use it as my permanent base of operations.

Overweight Shark, it's as easy as heading to Novac and paying 100 caps (I think) to get a permanent house. You can also get it for free if you do enough quests to get a good reputation in Novac, but that will have you walk around and collect more garbage along the way :v:
Also, I'm an obsessive hoarder myself but there really isn't a reason to hang on to more than two instances of each type of gun (one to use and another one to repair the other one with). If you're carrying around like 10 9mm pistols, just repair all of them with each other until you end up with one in a good condition and possibly a second one to use for repair and sell the remaining ones to roving traders or the traders in Goodsprings, Primm, etc.
Same goes for armors.

The rat says squee
May 6, 2007
What else should they say?

Overweight Shark posted:

Thanks for the quick responses. Yeah, I need to work on the packrat urge. And the pickpocket urge. Will look into those options though, can always come back for sidequests later.

I use the dumpsters in Goodsprings. They are right behind you when you fast travel in. Like kingturnip said, there's a store and doctor right there.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

On Pc I use Lombard Station mod, it even has display selves for all my guns. :swoon:

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

Also, I'm an obsessive hoarder myself but there really isn't a reason to hang on to more than two instances of each type of gun (one to use and another one to repair the other one with).

I mean more along the lines "I have a 10mm pistol, a 9mm pistol, a 9mm submachine gun" when basically I only need one of those. That's the short version, but in Fallout 3 I basically kept 1 of each gun in case I wanted to use terrible weapons on Giant Albino Radscorpions or something.

The rat says squee posted:

I use the dumpsters in Goodsprings. They are right behind you when you fast travel in. Like kingturnip said, there's a store and doctor right there.

I'm always wary of leaving my stuff in random containers, in case it gets deleted or I stop playing for a bit then can't remember where my stash is when I get back. Thanks for the tip though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically, the biggest benefit of having a home is so that you own a bed and can get the "well-rested" perk whenever you want. Oh, and once you're on the strip, you can store all of your unwanted companions in one place.

I think having a home would've been much better if you were allowed to fast travel to directly inside each of your homes. It'd make everything much more convenient, and you'd have an excuse to visit every so often.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh, and once you're on the strip, you can store all of your unwanted companions in one place.

The annoying thing is, in all cases it's quicker to send them back where they came from than to keep them in the suite. Assuming you're fast travelling in - ED-E? Two loading screens. Cass, Raul? Two. Arcade? Three. Boone, depending on the time of day, two or three. Veronica and Lily, one. If they're in the 38, it's four every time (fast travel to the Strip gate, enter the Strip, enter the 38, take the elevator. And then you have to leave again before you can go anywhere!)

Obviously if you're picking up two at once, the 38 is quicker. And I put too much thought into this. I'm just sayin'. :shobon:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Why would you ever send ED-E back though?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why would you ever send ED-E back though?

'Cause ED-E is easy mode. I dropped him off for ages after learning to live without him in OWB. But then after LR I never wanted him to leave my side, so you have a point :3:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I occasionally leave ED-E to chill for a while when I want to do something myself (I think I did most of NV Bounties I alone and part of II as well), but otherwise, he's always with me. Despite not really being fleshed out at all until LR, he's always been my favourite companion and probably one of my favourite characters in the game, period. I'm not entirely sure why.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Get a mod to let you send them to Big Mountain, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I always just used Victor's House in Goodsprings. He's not using it. It's available early, and it's close to a fast travel marker without also being near enemies or having to go through several loading screens. I'd rather have it be just a little closer to the fast travel, but it's a compromise. Novac's house is kind of lovely, and I hear about it being unreliable. Same with the safehouses.