Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm pretty sure the Amazon store fires up now because it actually lets you know when applications have updates.

I haven't noticed any issue with cpu consumption on my phone. It doesn't even show up in the battery stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Install Gentoo posted:

I don't believe this is true, during a recent multi-day power outage I had, I had disabled data use (and of course had no wifi) in order to save battery for calls - so the Amazon app store had no way to phone home to Amazon for 2 days. My Amazon paid apps still worked if I loaded them up for a quick game though.

I know if i don't have it installed and attempt to run alarm clock xtreme, it will error and tell me to install the amazon app

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is there any way to bypass a forced update? An old version of the Netflix app with the device check disabled worked fine on my janky Coby tablet, but they forced an update and the newest version won't stream anything and instead just kicks me back to the main screen of the app with no error message every time I try.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

WickedIcon posted:

Is there any way to bypass a forced update? An old version of the Netflix app with the device check disabled worked fine on my janky Coby tablet, but they forced an update and the newest version won't stream anything and instead just kicks me back to the main screen of the app with no error message every time I try.

If it makes you feel any better, the rest of us with "legit" devices are having similar problems, the forced update ruined everything. gently caress Netflix for being the only game in town.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What I think is odd is how my Xoom keeps bouncing between the phone interface and the tablet interface (I prefer the phone because the tablet interface is slow as poo poo.)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

There's an edited netflix app (version 1.4) which disabled forced updates, but I can't find it atm. I use it for my touchpad because the newest version freezes from time to time. Never had a problem with the edited app. I'll see if I can find it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My wifes wildfire s is still on the janky green market. As she's the one in the house that bothers with ebooks it'd be nice if she could use the new market. Is there a way to force it to update?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cakefool posted:

My wifes wildfire s is still on the janky green market. As she's the one in the house that bothers with ebooks it'd be nice if she could use the new market. Is there a way to force it to update?

What version of android is it on? If its on 2.2 or higher I think you can just download an ASK of the new market and install it manually.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Catching up on the thread and the launcher conversation prompted me to switch from Go Launcher back to LPP. Man it's so much faster, I just totally didn't notice how god drat S L O W go launcher had become. I don't really care that the guy hasn't updated Launcher Pro in a while because it just works.

Also AirDroid holy poo poo. Even though I use Kies which is really good, this is better.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What version of android is it on? If its on 2.2 or higher I think you can just download an ASK of the new market and install it manually.

Its on stock gb so I'll try that. Cheers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Syrinxx posted:

I just totally didn't notice how god drat S L O W go launcher had become.
Where's is slow in specific? I've been using Go Launcher over stock for a while now, and I haven't really noticed any drop in performance.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
What's a good alarm clock app? The default alarm clock on my Evo 3D completely refuses to play anything but "New Day" when the alarm goes off. I can delete alarms, add them, change them to any time or song, switch custom roms, wipe data, and it still plays that god drat New Day song.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

blargle posted:

What's a good alarm clock app? The default alarm clock on my Evo 3D completely refuses to play anything but "New Day" when the alarm goes off. I can delete alarms, add them, change them to any time or song, switch custom roms, wipe data, and it still plays that god drat New Day song.
Gentle Alarm.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

blargle posted:

That's really weird, I use the alarm on my 3D every day on the "snooze" noise.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Syrinxx posted:

I just totally didn't notice how god drat S L O W go launcher had become.

Backup and uninstall your other launchers and see if GL is still slow. I dumped everything including the stock launcher and GL became as fast as LP had been.

Also, I am now completely convinced you need to remake all your widgets when you switch launchers, but don't have anything but anecdote to back that up. v:shobon:v

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Just a note that some tasker tasks are a bit misleading and I have since edited my jobs.

GPS ON/OFF actually only turns on and off the setting of being able to use GPS vs wireless and other location methods. The chip is still only active when needed.

Auto brightness on/off doesn't seem to stick

sorry if this is all obvious, Im new to tasker

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Syrinxx posted:

Catching up on the thread and the launcher conversation prompted me to switch from Go Launcher back to LPP. Man it's so much faster, I just totally didn't notice how god drat S L O W go launcher had become. I don't really care that the guy hasn't updated Launcher Pro in a while because it just works.

Haha, I just did this the other day, too. I forgot how fast LPP was, and now that I have more experience with caring for my phone, it's really not as bad as remember it being. Also, I got to free up some space by uninstalling Android Pro Widgets. I'm hoping I don't come to regret this.

I also have a quick Tasker question, since I'm pretty bad at it: Is there a way for me to schedule a restart every so often? Alot of the problems that I used to ahve with LPP apparently came from never restarting my phone, and I was wondering if there was a way I could get my phone to do this itself while I sleep.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

SpacePig posted:

Haha, I just did this the other day, too. I forgot how fast LPP was, and now that I have more experience with caring for my phone, it's really not as bad as remember it being. Also, I got to free up some space by uninstalling Android Pro Widgets. I'm hoping I don't come to regret this.

I also have a quick Tasker question, since I'm pretty bad at it: Is there a way for me to schedule a restart every so often? Alot of the problems that I used to ahve with LPP apparently came from never restarting my phone, and I was wondering if there was a way I could get my phone to do this itself while I sleep.

There is a reboot action, so I would assume if you set up a time between 12am and 4am when not on a call and no motion you would be good

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Roundboy posted:

There is a reboot action, so I would assume if you set up a time between 12am and 4am when not on a call and no motion you would be good

Somehow, I missed the reboot action before. :doh:
Now that I've found it, it ends up that it's not an available action for my device. Whatever, I'll just do it manually form now on, I guess.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
How good is Watchdog Task Manager? I'm trying out the lite version right now and it seems pretty cool. I'm looking for a program that can stop programs from loving around too much in the background while I'm trying to play a game or make them not start on their own (Like Amazon Appstore and GetJar...)

Are there any other apps that do the same thing that are better/free?

Or alternatively are there any apps that put your phone into like a "game mode" where other apps and background activity are put on hold so the game gets all the phone's resources to its self? Or at least turn off a live wallpaper?

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 2, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Live wallpapers shouldn't be using any resources if you can't see them. If they are, they're probably terrible lovely things you should delete anyway.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cakefool posted:

Live wallpapers shouldn't be using any resources if you can't see them. If they are, they're probably terrible lovely things you should delete anyway.

It depends if you have the launcher locked into memory.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It depends if you have the launcher locked into memory.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean? LPP has this option, but it says it may cause instability.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I've got a Galaxy S2 and am looking for some app suggestions/solutions for streaming audio and/or video from a PC running Win7 connected to the same WiFi network as the phone. Ideally it would have the ability to just see shared directories on a Homegroup, but I'd be open to trying a server/client setup of some sort if it isn't going to cost too much to get up and running only to find it is garbage/not worth the effort.

Edit... hurr... read the OP. Emit seems to be what I'm looking for, so I'll give it a shot. Anyone know anything about how much of a pain it is?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

SpacePig posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean? LPP has this option, but it says it may cause instability.

It basically tries to keep itself in memory. Stock Android boots old process threads out. If this happens to you launcher when you hit the Home button it will have to repopulate all the icons and widgets. We call those "launcher redraws". It was prevalent on first generation hardware that had underwhelming hardware and still is prevalent on current gen devices that run system intensive OEM skins (e.g. Sense).

It's a hacky solution to a problem that's not really a thing anymore or at least it wont be given another year or so.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
E: Whoops, better question for the tablet thread.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Essobie posted:

I've got a Galaxy S2 and am looking for some app suggestions/solutions for streaming audio and/or video from a PC running Win7 connected to the same WiFi network as the phone. Ideally it would have the ability to just see shared directories on a Homegroup, but I'd be open to trying a server/client setup of some sort if it isn't going to cost too much to get up and running only to find it is garbage/not worth the effort.

Edit... hurr... read the OP. Emit seems to be what I'm looking for, so I'll give it a shot. Anyone know anything about how much of a pain it is?

Emit is really easy to set up and works really well. You don't even have to be on the same wifi network.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Any thoughts on whether the nook app or the kindle app is better than another? Trying to decide which store to go with ...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Any thoughts on whether the nook app or the kindle app is better than another? Trying to decide which store to go with ...

Amazon is usually cheaper and usually has a better selection. I wouldn't even bother with nook.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I agree, the purchasing experience on Nook leaves a LOT to be desired.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Do you guys use the official Facebook app, or something third party?

I just installed the free version of FriendCaster and it looks nicer than the official app, but I'm not sure if I actually like it better or not.

Any other FB apps I should look at?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Shroomie posted:

Do you guys use the official Facebook app, or something third party?

I just installed the free version of FriendCaster and it looks nicer than the official app, but I'm not sure if I actually like it better or not.

Any other FB apps I should look at?

I tried out FriendCaster on my Transformer and didn't really like it, though I can't remember exactly why. I believe some people have had problems with it not displaying all of their friends. I just use the official app since I use LBE to deny any weird permissions.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

hooah posted:

I tried out FriendCaster on my Transformer and didn't really like it, though I can't remember exactly why. I believe some people have had problems with it not displaying all of their friends. I just use the official app since I use LBE to deny any weird permissions.

I did notice it seemed to take a "Sync with Existing Contacts" approach rather than a "Sync All" approach. Not that it really matters since anybody I care to call/sms is in my Google address book, but the list is definitely smaller now.

And what about FB Chat? Specifically, what gives the best notifications of a message? I've got the official FB Messenger app right now but I see FriendCaster has one of their own, and I seem to remember using Beejive for it some time ago.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Honestly I found that Trillian was the best for FB chat. Simple, C2DM.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How does Trillian Mobile work, with C2DM and all? By using your desktop computer as connection host, or does it load everything onto their central servers?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

How does Trillian Mobile work, with C2DM and all? By using your desktop computer as connection host, or does it load everything onto their central servers?

They use central servers. I think they called it "octopus" when it rolled out.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Install Gentoo posted:

Amazon is usually cheaper and usually has a better selection. I wouldn't even bother with nook.

I noticed this as well...I like the animations for page turn on the nook app, but I prefer the organization of the kindle app and the tie-in with the OS. Thanks for the recommendation.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Trillian owns. I got grandfathered into a pro account, and even though I only use Google talk most of the time, I still use it because it synergizes with the desktop client so well.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

StickFigs posted:

How good is Watchdog Task Manager? I'm trying out the lite version right now and it seems pretty cool. I'm looking for a program that can stop programs from loving around too much in the background while I'm trying to play a game or make them not start on their own (Like Amazon Appstore and GetJar...)

Are there any other apps that do the same thing that are better/free?

Or alternatively are there any apps that put your phone into like a "game mode" where other apps and background activity are put on hold so the game gets all the phone's resources to its self? Or at least turn off a live wallpaper?

Nevermind, after using Watchdog for a day I noticed all my programs started to fail including the google.gapps program and random OS stuff. Uninstalled it and the problem went away.

Guess Watchdog just sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunameow
Dec 2, 2011

blargle posted:

I swear by Alarm Clock Xtreme (there's a free, ad-supported version, as well). I'm an insanely heavy sleeper, and have set it up so that I'm forced to do bunches of half-asleep math problems to turn the alarm off, with a backup alarm that sounds completely different so that even if I adjust to the first one and sleep through it, the second one will still wake me up.

• Locked thread