Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I don't get it. The Juke R exists? It would be in the same price range?

It doesn't exist yet, and I imagine the price will be significantly more than a FRS/BRZ. It will still be pretty badass though and I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

tonedef131 posted:

Or from either generation IS. They could also source the torsen from that line of cars.

as that report hints at, the diff appears to be an IS300/IS250 unit, which means ratios and torsen or clutch pack LSDs are already available

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Cat Terrist posted:

This dickhead has never been in a rotary MX5.

He said business decision...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Tremblay posted:

He said business decision...

Mazda should have released a factory N/A rotary option years ago for the Miata. It's crap they never pursued it - just like it's a shame they never plopped a MZR into the current gen MX5.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The engine in the Miata is the MZR...

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

leica posted:

It doesn't exist yet, and I imagine the price will be significantly more than a FRS/BRZ. It will still be pretty badass though and I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.

The Juke R is not going to be sold. The Juke R is a car being constructed to attempt to link the Juke to Nissan's current halo car, the GTR. They've already chopped up two GTRs, a Juke, and have spend hundreds if not thousands of man-hours in building it, so I can only imagine that the build cost is something like $500K.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You do realise both that Nissan have access to copious Nissan parts without buying cars off the showroom and that manufacturing it wouldn't involve cutting three cars apart and hand fabricating the finished article right?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

:swoon:

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl

j3rkstore posted:

awwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeaaaaaaaaa

This picture has sold me.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

j3rkstore posted:

Sorry, you are never, ever EVER going to get anywhere near that amount of dish with Subaru hubs unless you somehow warp space and time and put 5 inch wide overfenders on it.

See the Greddy car for example: 19x9.5 +45. .... :psyduck:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Cakefool posted:

You do realise both that Nissan have access to copious Nissan parts without buying cars off the showroom and that manufacturing it wouldn't involve cutting three cars apart and hand fabricating the finished article right?

Perhaps you should watch the assembly videos and read the blog about it before you make not-so-subtle implications that "YOU ARE A RETARD THEY CAN GET THEIR OWN PARTS THEY ARE REALLY GONNA MAKE IT GUYS RAWR". The ar is actually being built at RML, a racing car construction shop. They cut up at least one GTR in order to make their shortened wheelbase proof-of-concept model. The tech guy narrating the videos talks about it and there are several shots. It has also been stated multiple times that it's just a "hell, will ya look at this?!" effort on the part of Nissan Europe's Crossover and Sports division. There are absolutely no plans whatsoever to produce a Juke R model using the GTR's engine and modified GTR drivetrain. Despite the fact that it's ridiculous on the face of it that Nissan would be willing to dilute their halo car by dropping the drivetrain and suspension in the body of a economy hatchback "crossover", the amount of modifications to the chassis of the Juke and the drivetrain of the GTR would necessitate an entirely new manufacturing line with associated tooling; a huge outlay of money.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 2, 2011

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Sockington posted:

Mazda should have released a factory N/A rotary option years ago for the Miata. It's crap they never pursued it - just like it's a shame they never plopped a MZR into the current gen MX5.

Why would they bother spending the cash to develop it when the MX5 sells just fine anyhow. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to drive one, just seems like another car on the AI wishlist that few outside of would buy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sigma X posted:

Perhaps you should watch the assembly videos and read the blog about it before you make not-so-subtle implications that "YOU ARE A RETARD THEY CAN GET THEIR OWN PARTS THEY ARE REALLY GONNA MAKE IT GUYS RAWR". The ar is actually being built at RML, a racing car construction shop. They cut up at least one GTR in order to make their shortened wheelbase proof-of-concept model. The tech guy narrating the videos talks about it and there are several shots. It has also been stated multiple times that it's just a "hell, will ya look at this?!" effort on the part of Nissan Europe's Crossover and Sports division. There are absolutely no plans whatsoever to produce a Juke R model using the GTR's engine and modified GTR drivetrain. Despite the fact that it's ridiculous on the face of it that Nissan would be willing to dilute their halo car by dropping the drivetrain and suspension in the body of a economy hatchback "crossover", the amount of modifications to the chassis of the Juke and the drivetrain of the GTR would necessitate an entirely new manufacturing line with associated tooling; a huge outlay of money.

Wow, you are angry at the internet indeed. No, I wasn't aware it wasn't nissan that built it, yes you are right it would be ridiculous to drag the gtr name into the mud with a duke version, however my point was that if Nissan built it, it wouldn't cost half a million bucks. It could also be built on the same line as the current Duke, although yes it would require some unique tooling. I work in a car factory btw.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Tremblay posted:

Why would they bother spending the cash to develop it when the MX5 sells just fine anyhow. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to drive one, just seems like another car on the AI wishlist that few outside of would buy.

I'm saying YEARS ago, back when the N/A FC RX7 was rolling the streets. All that high end HP/no torque is the perfect Miata combo since it was lighter than the RX.

Offer the 125hp BP as the base model engine, 13B as the performance engine.

Phone posted:

The engine in the Miata is the MZR...
Oh, I'm sure you know which one I was referring to (turbo).

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Since this car is 5x100 I'm going to assume they parts binned the weak hubs and whatnot from the impreza, meaning you won't be running low offset wheels and big brakes unless it's a show car. Otherwise you'll be chewing up wheel bearings like crazy and suffering pad knockback under braking.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cakefool posted:

Wow, you are angry at the internet indeed. No, I wasn't aware it wasn't nissan that built it, yes you are right it would be ridiculous to drag the gtr name into the mud with a duke version, however my point was that if Nissan built it, it wouldn't cost half a million bucks. It could also be built on the same line as the current Duke, although yes it would require some unique tooling. I work in a car factory btw.

When the point came up initially, I was questioning why the Juke R would be in any way comparable to the 86. Even if Nissan did make one, it sure as hell wouldn't be near the same price.

If we take this:

smooth jazz posted:

I mean really, who buys a Juke R over this?
to merely mean, "who would prefer a Juke R over the 86?" then the answer is, uh, probably lots of people. Different strokes for different folks. But no idea what the post was getting at.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the (not real) Juke R shares the following characteristics with the toyobaru:

made by shifty foreign devils
contains letter R (subaru version only)

what the gently caress are you people on

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It has plenty of room for wide tires, who cares if they don't have DISH?

Motortrend EiC says BRZ is $24k for premium and $27k for limited. That'll do.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wasn't there mention of a track stripper version? Any idea how much that would cost?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I sure as hell hope those numbers are true.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The BRZ is still being positioned above the FR-S, so maybe that gets priced around $22k? That'd be perfect.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Wasn't there mention of a track stripper version? Any idea how much that would cost?

Japan gets a version with literaly no options and steelies which will have literaly 0 chance of making it to the uk unless you import one. Speaking of that I wonder if companies like lichfield or gtc-r will import any like they did with the gt-r and specific fancy imprezas.
I remember nissan uk kicking up a fuss when it cost less to import a gt-r than buying a uk spec car.

Also whats this about imprezas having weak hubs? I've never heard this, but then I dont know anyone with a subaru.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

:fh: :fh: :fh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not quite as annoying as things like Land Rovers, though. It's getting pretty bad when we can build a car here, ship it across the atlantic, and charge £10k less for it than in the UK.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Idiot race posted:

Also whats this about imprezas having weak hubs? I've never heard this, but then I dont know anyone with a subaru.

The 5x100 Hub design is terrible for heat and is prone to frying bearings. The bearing are also a pain in the loving rear end to change and if you don't change them correctly, you will gently caress it up. If you drive on bad bearings for too long, you will score the hubs and the problem will get worse over time.

Low Offset Wheels will really kill the bearings much faster. The general rule of thumb is to stay above +40ish offsets depending on wheel width.

gently caress 5x100.

The 5x114.3 doesn't have these problems.

Edit - Wow, that came out bitter. :p I recently had to change my rear wheel bearings.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 2, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the (not real) Juke R shares the following characteristics with the toyobaru:

made by shifty foreign devils
contains letter R (subaru version only)

what the gently caress are you people on

The juke r is getting built in the UK :toot:

Also octopus, of course there'll be overfenders. ET0 12Js for errbody!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the uk is shifty foreign devils

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl
The Juke is a car with a good drive train in a stupid body. The Juke R is stupid impractical concept car(like the Aygo Crazy except not nearly as cool) with no chance of ever seeing production.

Hopefully Nissan will produce another Silvia with the MR Turbo engine, maybe the 86 will be the car to push them to do it.

Or they could give us another convertible Murano-Type SUV :downs:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I can't remember where I read it (some Japanese car blog) but the guy said people at Nissan are absolutely going to use how well the FGT86BRZ sells as a way to make a final push on a new Silvia.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My WRX is 10 years old, has seen a ton of autocrosses, and has 114k miles on it.

I've had to replace one wheel bearing.

So, I'm really not too worried about it. Besides I though the newer 5x100 hubs with the bolt in wheel bearings were better than the older ones anyways?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I can't remember where I read it (some Japanese car blog) but the guy said people at Nissan are absolutely going to use how well the FGT86BRZ sells as a way to make a final push on a new Silvia.
7tune did.

quote:

And how good is it to entertain the thought that Nissan will pull out the plans for the S16 they carelessly tossed in the dumpster a couple of years back? They really have to make that car now because they will well and truly been left behind by Toyota and Subaru if they don’t. Or perhaps not entirely. You see, according to very high ranking sources within Nissan and Nismo, both companies are carefully watching to see how successful the BRZ and 86 are going to be. In actual fact, I quote one as saying, “…we hope they sell well because that will validate the return of a car like the Silvia.” When I asked if Nissan were still developing the S16 in any way, the response was cryptic; “I’m sure if you ask them, they will say they have no comment on the matter.” Read into that what you will.

http://www.7tune.com/driven-the-new-toyota-86/

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

My WRX is 10 years old, has seen a ton of autocrosses, and has 114k miles on it.

I've had to replace one wheel bearing.

So, I'm really not too worried about it. Besides I though the newer 5x100 hubs with the bolt in wheel bearings were better than the older ones anyways?

Did they change the 5x100 to be bolt in? I thought only the 5x114.3 where bolt in design. Huh, look at that 08+ are bolt in. Doesn't look like the bearing size changed though. Autocross won't really heat up the bearings as badly as track days due to braking. You have a lot more time in between runs to cool down. I had 0 bearing issues on mine doing auto-x for a few years on the stock wheels. Switching to sprints and track days and a much lower offset wheel cooked them. The 5x100 bearing is kinda tiny and has bad heat dissipation.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 2, 2011

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

the worst thing you're going to do to a stockish car at an autocross is probably scrub some tires or put a mark on the bumper when you hit a cone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What stops you using the correct offset wheels if you know that'll save the bearings?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Cakefool posted:

What stops you using the correct offset wheels if you know that'll save the bearings?

Automotive Sanity: What stops you using the correct offset wheels if you know that'll save the bearings?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Because dished wheels are cool.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wha wha these bearings are poo poo & the manufacturer is literally raping me *fits wheels that put stress on bearings*

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

A5H posted:

Automotive Sanity: What stops you using the correct offset wheels if you know that'll save the bearings?
There is a difference between insanity and stupidity.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Wider wheel so you'll run into strut -> wheel clearance issues. Dialing in a little camber will make it worse. As you get wider, you'll have to lower the offset typically to keep clearance.

Even with correct offset wheels, you'll cook the bearings over time. Heat from heavy braking. Having the wrong offset will just increase the heat in the bearings. It is just how things are. If you look at most of the road race Subarus in the US they pretty much budget for changing the wheel bearings periodically. Hell, someone actually makes conversion kits to use the 5x114.3 bearings/hubs. http://www.6gunracing.com/products.asp

Either way, 5x100 makes me sad. There are more wheel options in 5x114.3 :(

Cakefool posted:

Wha wha these bearings are poo poo & the manufacturer is literally raping me *fits wheels that put stress on bearings*

Hey now, I'm not implying that. They have a weakness that most people will not reach unless you really push the car.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

^ sensible coherent answer.

• Locked thread