Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SynthOrange posted:

That first set is so hilariously lopsided.

"I've got a sword, and a snake!"
"I've got a fighter jet with swords for wings!"

That's how it always is, or has been for many years/decades. Either the good guy or the bad guy each get a small pile of rubble and accessories or a go-kart-sized vehicle, and the other gets a giant purple/black eight-legged spidertank with a twelve-barreled-gatling-missile-launcher for a face.

someone moc that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Something kind of weird is happening with the Star Wars Advent Calendar. Opened door 1 and got a little Christmas tree, but the door says it's supposed to be a ship. Opened door 2 as an experiment got a ship, it's supposed to be something else. (Sorry for the strange wording, I don't know if advent calendars have a spoiler policy, and I don't want to to ruin the surprise if anyone is going in blind). Anybody else having this issue?

Arsenal_12 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 1, 2011

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I managed to snag the LEGO City Advent Calendar for my cubicle. Day 1 yielded a snarky-looking crook with a red bandanna.

So far so good! :)

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I hadn't actually taken a good look at the Ninjago sets until I was in Kmart with my friend on black friday. We were laughing so much at the giant monster truck. Ninjago is like everything that is targeted to 8 year old boys all wrapped up into one set.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

GidgetNomates posted:

I hadn't actually taken a good look at the Ninjago sets until I was in Kmart with my friend on black friday. We were laughing so much at the giant monster truck. Ninjago is like everything that is targeted to 8 year old boys all wrapped up into one set.

And thus totally awesome.

I need to get that helicopter, it looks pretty neat. The jet feels generic though.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Arsenal_12 posted:

Something kind of weird is happening with the Star Wars Advent Calendar. Opened door 1 and got a little Christmas tree, but the door says it's supposed to be a ship. Opened door 2 as an experiment got a ship, it's supposed to be something else. (Sorry for the strange wording, I don't know if advent calendars have a spoiler policy, and I don't want to to ruin the surprise if anyone is going in blind). Anybody else having this issue?

The advent calendar has a plastic grid tray on the inside which holds all the models. It could be it was inserted into the box upside down. Maybe you could try and flip it?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Arsenal_12 posted:

Did you open the door labeled 1 or just the first door, in the upper left corner?

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini

Arsenal_12 posted:

CADPAT posted:

The advent calendar has a plastic grid tray on the inside which holds all the models. It could be it was inserted into the box upside down. Maybe you could try and flip it?

CADPAT is almost certainly right about this. the side flap should let you remove the tray so you can rotate it and put it in right-side-up.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

They've both got new parts--1x1 round tiles (pearl gold, medium gray, trans green, trans red, and printed), 1x4 double curve slopes (blue), buster swords (pearl gold, steel gray, 3x minifig height, but with technic axle handle), minifig tonfa blades (pearl gold), big minifig swords (pearl gold, 2x minifig height), and a decorative 4-snake round piece in lime green. Plus snake animal molds (cobra, in white), cobra hood 'hair', minifig cobra head, minifig cobra staff, new ninja hood molds, and the re-appearance of snowshoes (absent since '04).

Just the other day I was looking at tiles on BrickLink, and wonder why they never made 1x1 round tiles... and now they have. A boon to greeblers and micro-scale builders; I've always been amazed at what people can do with 1x1 parts.

Also, my giant tank needs some kind of cockpit... I don't do a lot of swooshables, so I don't have many trans canopies to work with. Maybe I should just go old school and use 1x2 trans bricks to make a window. Suggestions?

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 1, 2011

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

GidgetNomates posted:

The Ninjago thing is actually what seems to have gotten me and my girlfriend into Lego. A couple weeks ago, I bought her a small set on a whim, knowing that she was into Lego as a kid. Watching her put it together, I figured it actually looked like a lot of fun (I was never into them as a kid myself), and I took a look at the other stuff advertised in the back. A battleaxe-wielding skeleton riding on a giant flaming motorcycle? Holy poo poo! Giant dragons? Goddamn!

So yeah, the next day we had to go and buy those sets. I guess the other stuff looks pretty silly, but how can anyone not think that motorcycle isn't the coolest, most :black101: thing ever? And the dragon set is pretty awesome, too.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
Yeah, I thought Ninjago was kind of stupid (or well, I guess just NOT FOR ME, I can definitely see why a kid would be into it), but as soon as I saw that monster truck and actually started looking at the sets and realizing they were all skeletons and flames and monster trucks and dragons...I now kind of want to buy some of them. I guess deep down I always knew that despite being a 22 (next week!) year old woman I'm really just an 8 year old boy :(

On a different note, I picked up a ~400 piece bucket at Kroger and here is what I made with it (with a few extra pieces from my collection because I ran short towards the end):

I made a M.U.L.E. :3: I want to remake it when I eventually get enough grey bricks to make it grey.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

I made a M.U.L.E. :3:

Marry me. I have a room full of Lego.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

Squashy Nipples posted:

Marry me. I have a room full of Lego.

That's all I ever looked for in a spouse. Done deal. Until someone with more Lego comes along and then we are THROUGH.

Also like I said in my other post, my birthday is next week. My mom asked me wanted I wanted and I told her we'd just go out shopping this weekend and I'd buy something. Providing they're in stock at TRU, I'm going to get one of the train sets unless something else catches my eye. I am pretty pumped. Also going to make another trip to the flea market in the hopes of getting lucky and finding a box of Lego again!

e: Oh yeah, my whole point in posting about the trains was to ask if anyone could give me their thoughts on the passenger train vs the cargo train. There's a pretty significant price difference, so I want to know if anyone thinks the cargo train is better to the point where the price is worth it.

GidgetNomates fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 1, 2011

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

That's all I ever looked for in a spouse. Done deal. Until someone with more Lego comes along and then we are THROUGH.

Also like I said in my other post, my birthday is next week. My mom asked me wanted I wanted and I told her we'd just go out shopping this weekend and I'd buy something. Providing they're in stock at TRU, I'm going to get one of the train sets unless something else catches my eye. I am pretty pumped. Also going to make another trip to the flea market in the hopes of getting lucky and finding a box of Lego again!

e: Oh yeah, my whole point in posting about the trains was to ask if anyone could give me their thoughts on the passenger train vs the cargo train. There's a pretty significant price difference, so I want to know if anyone thinks the cargo train is better to the point where the price is worth it.

Ive been considering both, I've settled on the cargo train. More track, some cool unique pieces, and the passenger train is kinda butt ugly.

Not that it matters too much, my wife got me the emerald night and it should be here next Monday. Whatever set I get will be gutted to power / give track to that awesome awesome engine.

I'm so excited for this thing, I feel kindof silly looking forward to it as much as I am but just look at it

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Spaceman Future! posted:

I'm so excited for this thing, I feel kindof silly looking forward to it as much as I am but just look at it

I had fun sorting it :buddy:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
Is Emerald Night still available in stores? I might order it sometime but what I'm getting this weekend is limited to what I find at TRU.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

Is Emerald Night still available in stores? I might order it sometime but what I'm getting this weekend is limited to what I find at TRU.

I had to go online to find it, pretty sure its out of production and whatever is floating around in online shops (mine came from Target) is about all that's left.

Maersk train next, then prayers that Lego re-releases the Santa Fe sets because holy hell those are too expensive.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I actually just finished building the main engine for the Emerald Night - which will be circling the Christmas tree this year. So far it's a great set. Couple of cool building techniques, SNOTs, etc. Plus they include in the instructions how to add the power functions at the end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

I made a M.U.L.E. :3: I want to remake it when I eventually get enough grey bricks to make it grey.

Oh god the M.U.L.E. theme started playing in my head when I saw that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvQQuLPmzg

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god the M.U.L.E. theme started playing in my head when I saw that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvQQuLPmzg

I have the Commodore 64 version, it's the C64 game I play the most (besides maybe Carmen Sandiego). God that theme song rules.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I guess I just don't know star wars very well, but what the hell is the advent calendar day 1 supposed to be?

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
I think it's supposed to be a Republic transport ship, like from the beginning of Episode I.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Network42 posted:

I guess I just don't know star wars very well, but what the hell is the advent calendar day 1 supposed to be?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Consular-class_cruiser

It's the ship that Obi-Wan and Qui Gon arrived on in the beginning of Phantom Menace. I modified the radar dish on mine so the large part is protruding out.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Getting there...all I have to do before I can buy more is sort that & pay off my loan, at least by the terms I've set for myself.

I'm not actually good at holding myself to those terms, but I've at least bought less than I probably would have otherwise. That counts for something, right? :ohdear:

God I take bad pictures.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

Network42 posted:

You're not alone, I felt like I was too old to Lego, because I had no idea how it was supposed to go together. :(

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Look on the inside of the flap. Instructions there.

Two days in a row with prequel stuff now, want some proper OT soon!

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

CADPAT posted:

I opened it up to look at the tray and realized that it wasn't sealed. I also realized it's missing the Chewbacca and Yoda minifigs. Looks like somebody messed with it in the store.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN
For those of you who have downloaded the Yoshihito Isogawa Technic building ideas pdf thingy, there is a book version of all that fantastic stuff available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Technic-Idea-Book-Machines/dp/1593272774/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1322830633&sr=8-42

Right now it's ~$13, not a bad deal really.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Arsenal_12 posted:

I opened it up to look at the tray and realized that it wasn't sealed. I also realized it's missing the Chewbacca and Yoda minifigs. Looks like somebody messed with it in the store.

:( Condolences. Any chance you could return it? I mean, the store will probably hem and haw, but I'd at least try.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

Network42 posted:

It reminds me of what the guy said in the Red Letter Media review of the prequels. I could probably build any old school Star Wars ship with my eyes closed. A lot of the prequel stuff seems to be not quite as memorable due to the lack of screen time and how overwhelmed you get with the visuals.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I was browsing ebay and found the listings flooded with the chinese lego knock offs. This one is particularly hilarious - several policemen with assault rifles on a water cannon truck. The box has two pictures, one of which appears to be a tea party or other flag waving protest, and the other is a crowd of people getting hit by water cannons.

What the hell China

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

gently caress the ROW posted:

What the hell China

China making a cheap knock-off of something? I don't know what to think anymore :(

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Atmus posted:

China making a cheap knock-off of something? I don't know what to think anymore :(

I think it's more the bizarre, non-LEGO-Group content of the kits.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

I was browsing ebay and found the listings flooded with the chinese lego knock offs. This one is particularly hilarious - several policemen with assault rifles on a water cannon truck. The box has two pictures, one of which appears to be a tea party or other flag waving protest, and the other is a crowd of people getting hit by water cannons.

What the hell China

I wonder what the quality of the bricks is... Considering that there are official Lego plants in China now it's possible that these are being made with real Lego molds.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

What the hell China

Nuts, the auction is over. Take any screenshots or can you dig up cached images? I need to see this.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

rickiep00h posted:

I think it's more the bizarre, non-LEGO-Group content of the kits.

Could be. Someone should send that to that woman that hates fun and thinks Lego is racist for having cops and robbers, despite everyone being the same apparent ethnicity.

Maybe that's what cops are really like in China, so they don't see the problem and aren't trying to be funny about it? I'd buy it if it were a real Lego set, but not for the same reason they are trying to sell it, probably.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

SinetheGuy posted:

Nuts, the auction is over. Take any screenshots or can you dig up cached images? I need to see this.

Here you go: http://i.imgur.com/qEE16.jpg

Observe how the great people's water cannon sprays into the picture of real live protesters being blasted

I've been tempted to buy some of the knockoffs before. I don't know about this one but the pieces look almost exactly like LEGO pieces (there are more auctions for this set - they sell them for $.01 and then put the actual price in the shipping cost).

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Here you go: http://i.imgur.com/qEE16.jpg

Observe how the great people's water cannon sprays into the picture of real live protesters being blasted

I've been tempted to buy some of the knockoffs before. I don't know about this one but the pieces look almost exactly like LEGO pieces (there are more auctions for this set - they sell them for $.01 and then put the actual price in the shipping cost).

They certainly managed to capture the chilling, mindless face of police repression in minifig form. Nice work, Chinese pirates!

That said, I was kinda hoping they would show actual minifig demonstrators being sprayed. But that would be a bit much to ask for a knock-off, wouldn't it? Oh man, that would be a great MOC.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

The pieces look just like real LEGO pieces but I'm guessing the quality probably sucks brutally.

I like that the cops have also old school police uniforms from LEGO.

Also "STIMULATE YOUR CHILDS IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I want a pirate boat, but which one is better of The black pearl or queen anne's revenge? They're roughly the same price 90€ for me.