Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Wow , did I suck Sunday. Going duller and more aggressive was an epic failure. Finally grabbed the Total Inferno and got some decent reaction . Need to get over and practice at that house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Last night, I started out with a couple splits in practice. Everything was off by just a little bit. My very helpful teammates started giving me advice after every shot. "You're dropping your shoulder!" "You need to move an inch and a half to the left!" "Your hand position is bad" "You need to slow it down!" The best part, though, was them constantly telling me to concentrate. You ever notice how hard it is to concentrate when 3 guys are constantly telling you to do so?

The first game was a loving 107. Including a five pin I left in the 10th and threw it in the gutter like a complete jackass because I couldn't concentrate. Middle of the second game, I ate an order of french fries, and got a 170.

Then, in the third game, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, punched the last 6 for a 243.

Sometimes you have to know when to ignore your teammates, I guess.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Bowling in a 9 Pin No Tap tournament tonight! Considering I threw 7 straight opening 9s last week I'm gonna RULE. :)

e: Ruled for the first game, fired lots of splits in the second to drop out of contention.

Thots and Prayers fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 17, 2011

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
221-149-184

Our lanes were hosed tonight. The house has been doing a ton of renovations, and we were on the last two lanes. And apparently they didn't bother to CLEAN those two lanes before oiling them...

That was my hand after the 2nd game. loving filthy.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Position round last night, we were in 3rd with only a few points separating 1-4. Took 19 points but it would have been more if the entire team hadn't fallen apart during the 3rd game.

213 - 252 - 171

Game 1 I converted two splits and won my game by 4. Including covering a 3-4-7 in the 10th frame and turning around for my best Gladiator "Are you not entertained?" impression. Game 2 I had the front 7 and left the ball way in and too hard which somehow resulted in a 5-10. I don't know the last time I left one of those. Game 3 I just sucked balls.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Back on Tuesday, I bowled 267-249-197 for a 713 series. Got a measly $3 out of the side pots (especially lovely since it cost $6 to get in). Left 2 big splits in the 3rd game or else I could have had a monster set. Game 3 looked like this:

9/ 9/ X X X 62 X X 81 X8/

Turn those two big splits into 9 spares and I would have had 227. Plus those were my only opens on the night. Oh well. Off to go bowling tonight and hopefully all 3 games are good tonight.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
197-214-214 only one open the first two games, so that was good. Discovering that I can overpower the lane ;blowing away the 6 pin. Went left and took a tick of speed out to good effect, it's odd to be striking at 13-14 MPH , but that what works.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
So Christmas time is right around the corner, and I could use a new ball. Looking for some suggestions.

I'm currently throwing a Roto Grip Mutant Cell Pearl, asymmetric, very angular, aggressive, long + flip-turn into the pocket, etc. etc.

I want something with a bit more of an even arc down the lane, something that's a bit better suited to drier conditions, and won't punish me if it comes off my hand wrong. So symmetric is pretty much a must.

First thing that catches my eye is the Storm Victory Road, but I'd love to hear some other suggestions.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
228-227-212 last night for a 653. Best series so far this year! :neckbeard:

That detergent trick really did wonders. I don't know if it was the placebo effect or the fact that I'm releasing the ball lower but I'm really starting to ramp up my bowling abilities again!

And to think I was within a day of quitting earlier this year.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Amazing amounts of crud come off a ball that way..But getting lower never hurts

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yeah, I'm pretty much down a few degrees and my arm isn't A) as tired and B) as wild as usual.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Scarf posted:

So Christmas time is right around the corner, and I could use a new ball. Looking for some suggestions.

I'm currently throwing a Roto Grip Mutant Cell Pearl, asymmetric, very angular, aggressive, long + flip-turn into the pocket, etc. etc.

I want something with a bit more of an even arc down the lane, something that's a bit better suited to drier conditions, and won't punish me if it comes off my hand wrong. So symmetric is pretty much a must.

First thing that catches my eye is the Storm Victory Road, but I'd love to hear some other suggestions.

Victory Road is actually surprisingly aggressive for a mid level ball. It's a lot more angular with a standard drilling than my Nano, but keep in mind that any ball's normal trajectory can be altered with the right drilling. And on certain conditions it will actually outhook my Nano by a few boards.

As for balls for dryer conditions the Hy-Road is always a good choice. The Vibe series by Hammer and the Cyclone by Ebonite are also a lot of ball for very low price. My friend is ripping poo poo apart with a Cyclone right now. He's going with all new equipment next month and the Cyclone is the only thing he's keeping.

At tax time I'm filling and drilling my VR, and adding a Too Reckless by DV8 to fill the gap between my Nano and VR. I'm also adding a Cyclone for dry lanes and I may go to a Urethane ball for a spare/backup in case the lanes get totally burnt.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I managed to shoot my high and low games of the season back to back tonight. It's become a bit of a running joke that no matter what I shoot my first two games I end up in the 630s.

228 - 275 - 134

275 was actually pretty garbage to be honest. Started out with the front nine but at least three of those went way high and carried anyway. I had 5 splits in the 134 game, it sucked.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Do most of you use a separate standard drilled ball for spares? What would you recommend for a spare ball? Does it even matter?

I'm finding that I have to throw my current Storm Hy-Road harder than I want to when shooting the 9-10 pin spares. It affects my accuracy quite a bit and I'm missing 10 pins regularly. Maybe getting a spare ball that I can throw straight will help.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I just have a plastic Columbia blue dot that I throw at spares. Goes straight as an arrow.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If you get a spare ball, it will go very straight even if you throw it with a hook (extremely slight hook if the lanes are torched and you really rev the ball). Spare balls are just straight plastic and have just a plain old core to it, no weight blocks or asymmetrical patterns.

I just throw my strike ball but I am able to flatten it out to go close to thumb hole over thumb hole, but then again I flatten out my hand for most all of my spares.

To some recent scores!

Turkey Shoot on Thanksgiving morning I shot a 732 scratch and took 4th place for $75! I also won a pot game in the middle so that was another $20.

Last Friday I went 299-224-220 = 743. (10 pin yargh)

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
One of my local houses has just re-coated their lanes ,stupid amounts of length and snap. I'm even more confused.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

We switched to Beaten Path tonight. I was an idiot this afternoon and after cleaning my Nano I hit it real quick with a Scotch brite pad. Only I hit it too hard and the loving thing was trying to move at 30 feet. Totally wasted all of it's energy early and was hooking less than my VR. Not a huge deal, since it's a longer pattern and something pearl is probably recommended anyway.

I ended up bowling the league leader, who has a 220 average and a 45-15 record. Compared to my 167 and 23-36-1 record. So I was kinda in deep poo poo.

Thankfully he took me lightly the first game and shot a 171 while I shot the worst 246 ever. Front seven, missed a board left and punched for a spare, then did the same and missed in the 10th.

After that I couldn't find my own rear end in a top hat with the use of both hands and a flashlight and threw 150s at him while he dropped 240s on my head.

So the rest of this week is filled with taking my Nano to the shop and getting it restored to factory, and then doing penance on Turnpike on Friday night to prepare me for Sunday's tournament. 80% handicap (60 pins a game for me) on a house shot. If I only throw a 6 I'm close to being leader after the first round. If I don't finish top 3 I'm probably going to hang myself.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

GOOCHY posted:

Do most of you use a separate standard drilled ball for spares? What would you recommend for a spare ball? Does it even matter?

I'm finding that I have to throw my current Storm Hy-Road harder than I want to when shooting the 9-10 pin spares. It affects my accuracy quite a bit and I'm missing 10 pins regularly. Maybe getting a spare ball that I can throw straight will help.

I actually use my superbeast for spares. Works well unless it catches a dry spot on the 10 pin, and whoo boy will I miss that by a fraction of a board.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Went 202 - 177 - 219 on Wednesday. Second week in a row we've bowled unopposed (first was a prebowl, this week we had the odd team). My team is historically terrible when bowling unopposed so we took a whopping 8/54 points. Somehow we're still only 24 points out of first. As long as no one else prebowls against us this season we're done bowling unopposed.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

Went 202 - 177 - 219 on Wednesday. Second week in a row we've bowled unopposed (first was a prebowl, this week we had the odd team). My team is historically terrible when bowling unopposed so we took a whopping 8/54 points. Somehow we're still only 24 points out of first. As long as no one else prebowls against us this season we're done bowling unopposed.

Holy points. How do you guys have your league set up?

Tuesday: 254-229-209 = 692

Bowling again tonight, hoping I can get a 7.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

It's an individual match point league with 27 points each night.

15 points for match play. Your (hdcp) score against the (hdcp) score of the guy bowling across from you.
3 points for each handicap team game and 3 points for handicap team series.

It really keeps the standings closer for the worse teams and I like it better than 8 point team only leagues because there's next to zero chance you're going to get totally shut out on the night. We once won a "regular" league in February. The league didn't end until April. That kind of thing doesn't happen in individual match point leagues.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Ah, my Tuesday league is handicap and we just do 7 points total. 2 for each game total (with hdcp) and then 1 point for team series total (hdcp).

My Friday league is scratch and we do 24 points total. 1 point for each player head to head (across from you) for each game, and then 3 points total for the team game. 8 points every game and 24 points total. So that's the same thing as yours except you just have a lot more points out there.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

209-207-200 for a 616 this week. Not too bad. I was rocking them out in practice but in live games I just didn't have the consistency.

I only took two points though because the other guy had a couple 230s :mad:

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Lately it has seemed that I have had the world at a certain house I bowl at, but have trouble really seizing the opportunity and running up a monster score. Back on Sunday, I bowled a 5 game sweeper where I missed the cut for the championship roll-off by 4 pins. Games 1 and 2 I went X6/ in the tenth while working on a string because I just made a piss poor shot in the 11th finished 234 and 244 respectively. Game 3 I was working on a 290 through 6 and threw it about a mile per hour slower and left a greek church. Lost my concentration and coasted with a few spares and ended up with a 225. Game 4 I made a preemptive move which turned out to be wrong, but was too stubborn to change back and ended up with a 177. Then I went lights out with a 265 in game 5. COULDA BEEN A CONTENDA!

Last night in league I could have won my first game bracket match if I struck twice in the 10th. Threw a beauty on the first ball, but then limp wristed the hell out of the second and left a 2-10, ending with a 223. Game 2 I shot 265 again because I'm awesome. Game 3 I was working on a 250 something going into the tenth and limp wristed the shot again, leaving a 2-4-5-8. Threw a lovely spare shot and chopped the 2-4-8 off, ending with a 226. So I ended with a 714, but it could have easily been 750+. Stupid mistakes have cost me around $100 so far this week.

Going to bowl singles and doubles in the city tournament this weekend. Hopefully going to finally piece everything together.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Pffft you guys and your low point leagues.

Our league is 45 points a night. 5 bowlers on each team, 2 points per game. 2 points to the winner of each team game, 2 points for each individual series and 3 points for total pins.

5 weeks into the second quarter, my team is 141 - 84. Although we should be a few points higher, because Tuesday night, the guy I was bowling against either has incredible luck or was just loving with me, because he managed to stay 2 or 3 pins points ahead of me almost the entire game and then punched out the 10th...he did this to me all three games.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
212-173-164.

Our league is 4 points a night. One for each game, then one for total pin count v:shobon:v

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

gently caress.

Northeast Amateur Tournament was today. Shot 235-194-200 in the first round for a 764 with handicap to make it to the semis. They cut from 152 down to 35.

255-166-183 for a 737 with handicap and I missed the cut to top 8 roll off by 4 pins. Had two single pin misses in the last game that killed me.

Overall I finished 11th, made $155 and somehow still want to kill myself.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Sunday : still fighting the re-coated lanes ,but made a little headway
Wednesday : Shot my 615 there . No bowling tonight(kidlet is marching in a parade) but just still frustrated . Has anyone ever played with laser pointers for instruction? Looks like one of the super duty green ones would be the ticket.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

You guys are putting up some good numbers. I started bowling in August, randomly joined a league, bought a Brunswick Slingshot and all the gear. Started out bowling 100s, but my league average is up to 133 because I've been bowling in the 150s lately. My high game so far is 189.

It's a pretty relaxing sport, but I see so many people on the league getting really frustrated. It's like the better you are, the angrier you get.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

222-225-233 for a nice 680 :cool:

I had a great night and we obliterated the other team 22-2 in points :)

HOWEVER: Third game, fifth frame, left a 6-10 and somehow managed to hit the 10 on the inside and leave the 6. I was one frame away from a clean series that I've been so desperately craving.

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 9, 2011

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

A very meh night on Wednesday as my team continued its slide.

187 - 194 - 203 and we only took 8.5 points. Good thing there's still 16 weeks left.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
505 at that damned house ;lost total by ONE PIN

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Well apparently our house had some huge corporate party scheduled this wednesday, so they asked us to go on "Christmas break" a week early.

Pretty sure we won (or are going to win) the first half of the season. Hopefully we can pull the second down as well and not have to do any more roll-off bullshit like last year. Finished out the first half with a 185 average. I'm hoping I can get a little closer to 200 by the end of the spring.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Looking forward to league tonight, because I brought home my ball and put it in front of the space heater in my room to sweat out the 10 or so years worth of oil that has accumulated since we bought this thing. Really should have done this a long time ago.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Locutus of Bald posted:

Looking forward to league tonight, because I brought home my ball and put it in front of the space heater in my room to sweat out the 10 or so years worth of oil that has accumulated since we bought this thing. Really should have done this a long time ago.

If you're using ten year old equipment it's not going to do much no matter how much oil you pull out of it. The conditioner is stronger to combat more aggressive balls. You're better off getting new poo poo, you can get a new entry level ball like a Slingshot or Cyclone for about $100 drilled.

I actually bought a Cyclone last week and I love it. I have it drilled weak so I can use it on torched lanes and it hits really hard since it's not expending much energy. I'll post a picture of the drilling later tonight, it's insane. It looks like it was drilled for a left hander.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

What a poo poo night last night. It was raining like crazy and the approaches were in terrible loving condition. I went through like half a bag of easy slide. Almost blinded myself out after throwing a 0 in the first frame of the first game. Somehow managed a 506 woo.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Spent the last four days thinking I wasn't going to be bowling tonight, because it's my week to sit out. Then, I woke up this morning and realized one of the other bowlers is out of town for two weeks and I'm bowling anyway. I'm glad I realized in time, so I can completely my (edit: very spergy) routine.

My league begins at 7, but I start getting ready at 4. At 4 o'clock, I cook a giant soft pretzel with cheese (if I have it, otherwise I'm stuck with pretzel salt) and drink a Diet Dr Pepper. I watch YouTube videos of ESPN games, usually Walter Ray Williams or another right hander.

After I watch 2 or 3 games, I listen to my Get Psyched playlist (Metallica's "The Thing That Should Not Be", "Battery", Megadeth's "Peace Sells", "I Wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister and Metallica's cover of "Ecstasy of Gold".) and then assemble my bowling clothes (Tan dress pants, polo shirt, thick socks [I have to wear winter socks/2 pairs of regular socks with my bowling shoes, because they're half a size too big]).

Then, I take a shower. Even if I've already showered twice that day (it has happened), I shower again. I grab my cell phone and my wallet (complete with lucky coin) and head down to the bowling alley.

I always get to the bowling alley 15 minutes early, which gives me time to go to the bathroom, order a fountain diet coke and bring my stuff up from the locker. Practice starts generally around 6:50 (Depending on which employee is working behind the counter) and I bowl exactly 2 practice shots on each lane. I used to do more, but I've learned how my ball reacts compared to those thrown by my teammates, so I can generally gauge based off of their shots.

During bowling, I always go to the bathroom between games, whether I need to or not. I don't want to be the guy who holds up the whole team because he has to run down to the toilet right before his shot. I already have to deal with the smokers who go out for a cigarette in between games and don't look inside to see when they're up.

Does anyone else have a weird routine or superstitions? I can't be the only one...right? :smith:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I, uh... throw on my shoes and skin tape, throw a practice shot and scream in terror as it dives through the nose when I hit my mark. Then I bowl 150s all night and take a rage poo poo after I'm done.

I haven't thrown a clean game in three loving weeks. My best game tonight:

X 9/ X X X X 9/ X 6- 9/X 211

Somehow I shot a 211 after throwing 3 complete garbage games and still hate myself. gently caress Beaten Path.

(I actually watch a lot of Youtube matches, usually Norm Duke since my line is very close to his and WRW's style is so ugly it fucks with me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
One of the guys on the team threw 8 straight strikes to start the game on Monday. Got real nervous, started pacing. Stepped up, threw a 9 with a wobbly 10 pin that refused to go down. He subsequently left 7 of the next 8 frames open. Welp.

Had a good attitude about it.

• Locked thread