Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Edit: oh holy poo poo Jens Bergensten is the new lead developer on Minecraft.

This is the best of news. I just hope Notch can let go of his baby so Jeb can do his thing. He mentions how much he trusts his judgement, but previous to this Notch still had the final say - it might be different when Jeb gets to call the shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Canuckistan posted:

Fixed that for ya.

A sad day. Please watch Three Amigos.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Calling it now:
• Jeb makes a lot of good changes to Minecraft pretty quickly, fans react positively and praise Jeb
• Scrolls comes out and nobody likes it
• Notch can't deal, immediately re-seizes control of Minecraft, moves Jeb to Scrolls

The most fun part of Minecraft's gameplay is Talking About Notch on Forums.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Jeb was behind some of the better updates we've had before, so I think I'd trust him to polish Minecraft up to a more refined release.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So will jeb be able to hire on as well and grow the team? I'd really like to see where minecraft could go if it had a bigger such as ai developer, item coder and whatnot.

It's kind of funny though, if majong was ran like google then half of the people who have modded minecraft would have been bought out by now which should honestly be done. I'm sure it wouldn't cost a billion dollars considering most of the modders are kids who would just love to say what they developed is officially in the game.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
This should have happened before the 'release'. Thank god.

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Man I spent ~30 levels on two gold pickaxes trying to get silk touch. Instead got unbreaking II/efficiency II/ fortune I and unbreaking III on the other. Not bad I guess but I already have a diamond pick with unbreaking III. :/ think I'll just invedit some ice blocks already, man.

Anyway there's not enough pictures itt so here ya go:

My little hovel on an alto plano. The chimney is at height limit.

I like the world a lot but I'm afraid to explore any more since I gen'd it on one of the pre-releases and idk if the terrain generator has changed.

This is really lovely, any chance you could upload the save file? I'm always impressed by these small but elegantly-designed houses and gardens in Minecraft. I honestly couldn't give a poo poo about mega-structures and primitive red-stone video games, the best buildings in Minecraft are ones that are subtly impressive and yet don't look like whoever built it lost a weeks worth of sleep over it (I mean that in the best way possible).

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

This is seriously the best goddamned news all day, and I think a good move following the most recent Notch-drama.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
I for one will miss Notch's folksy racism and nonsensical content updates :(

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is the best of news. I just hope Notch can let go of his baby so Jeb can do his thing. He mentions how much he trusts his judgement, but previous to this Notch still had the final say - it might be different when Jeb gets to call the shots.

Yeah, if I'm remembering correctly, Notch had some issues when adding new features of things fitting into some sort of "theme" with minecraft that doesn't really exist. And Jens was the one who announced that there will indeed be a mod API at minecon, right?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Something weird happened to me when I discovered my first nether fortress. I was walking inbetween two outer walls with a low-ish ceiling when all of the sudden I got stuck in the ground, and started taking damage. I dug underneath me to escape but then I hit the ground below at low health and died, spewing my innards into the adjacent lava pools. I'm guessing I started suffocating? I didn't see any mobs around, and I'm not using a texture pack so they wouldn't be invisible either. Is this a bug?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
You were probably starving. If your hunger bar is empty, you will take damage down to half a heart. And then, yeah, a small drop kills you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

messagemode1 posted:

Something weird happened to me when I discovered my first nether fortress. I was walking inbetween two outer walls with a low-ish ceiling when all of the sudden I got stuck in the ground, and started taking damage. I dug underneath me to escape but then I hit the ground below at low health and died, spewing my innards into the adjacent lava pools. I'm guessing I started suffocating? I didn't see any mobs around, and I'm not using a texture pack so they wouldn't be invisible either. Is this a bug?

Sounds like you might have gotten bounced upon by a MagmaCube. I didn't see my first one until after it hit me on the head the first time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Sounds like you might have gotten bounced upon by a MagmaCube. I didn't see my first one until after it hit me on the head the first time.

I am so glad I am not the only person to have experienced this. Once, I was in a cave, and a slime hopped from way above me and goomba stomped me into oblivion. I was laughing too hard to be angry at it.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
holy poo poo Jens is the new lead!? This is the best news all week.

Maybe now we'll be able to actaully get all the records from creepers. I have about 4 13's and 5 cat's because I didn't realize they don't drop the other 10.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
From Jeb's twitter, about an hour ago

quote:

Today I've fixed some redstone bugs, a powered rail bug and added wool regrowth to sheep. Now it's time to head home!

This is a good start in the right direction.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

Calling it now:
• Jeb makes a lot of good changes to Minecraft pretty quickly, fans react positively and praise Jeb
• Scrolls comes out and nobody likes it
• Notch can't deal, immediately re-seizes control of Minecraft, moves Jeb to Scrolls

The most fun part of Minecraft's gameplay is Talking About Notch on Forums.

I don't think Scrolls was notch's game in the first place. Can someone confirm/deny?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rack posted:

It's so funny that this happened within a matter of hours after his promotion. He is so many miles ahead of notch in simple ability that it's almost depressing.

Hopefully MC will finally go places now!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Jeb taking over development and design is the best Minecraft news in a long time.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rack posted:

Hahaha, amazing. :allears: Can't wait for Jebcraft to start up.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm so excited for this. I hope he gets a nice budget for hiring or buying mods!

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Maybe Jeb even gets to hire a few people.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Perhaps Jeb can even get someone not incompetent to make the graphics!:allears:

And carry-able torches, stained glass a la Fancy Pack and more! I'm going to be so disappointed if he doesn't get som serious work done, though.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Spectral Werewolf posted:

You were probably starving. If your hunger bar is empty, you will take damage down to half a heart. And then, yeah, a small drop kills you.

Not starving. I guess it could've been a magma cube, I didn't see anything around me or anything, but I didn't think to look straight up. Do magma cubes also cause you to get stuck in one spot if they're bouncing on you? I killed other magma cubes before, but those came from in front of me.

Also it feels a little ridiculous to get killed like a goomba.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Maybe Jeb even gets to hire a few people.

Like perhaps a QA department, since the game is supposed to be no longer in beta and the general public shouldn't be responsible for the bug-testing.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
If I walked into our QA department right now, I'd likely find people playing both WoW and Minecraft. Two games that famously need better QA. It is a wonderful irony.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Well. Notch finally did what he should have done a long while ago. I am thinking the minecon drama woke him up to the fact that he really needed to let someone else take over.

I'm sure Notch can still function in adding some quirkiness to minecraft but Jeb's going to pretty much refocus the project.

As people are saying this really should have happened before launch. Like, a year ago at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People keep going "YES FINALLY I AM SO GLAD NOTCH QUIT HAHAHA"

But, uh. You haven't wanted that ever until the Yogscast thing. I haven't heard a single person praying to the powers that be that Notch stop working on Minecraft. Sure, I've heard people say Jeb should be in charge before, but that's completely different than Notch quitting, which is what people seem to think he's doing. :geno:

Even then, Notch isn't quitting. He's not even stepping down from working on Minecraft. People apparently don't know how to read the "I still plan to help out on the project" in between the "I am announcing that" and "although I'm still stepping down as head developer".

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I think people have been criticizing Notch for not finishing what he started and making promises that he doesn't follow through on for a long time, even before the Yogscast fiasco

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
People here have been criticizing notch as a worthless developer since before Jesus.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Jelly posted:

People here have been criticizing notch as a worthless developer since before Jesus.

“Then Abraham breathed his last and died at a good old age, an old man and full of years, but disappointed at Minecraft's ever-slowing update schedule, his final word the name ‘Notch,’ dripping with venom, shaking his feeble fist; and he was gathered to his people.”
Genesis 25:8

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

CJacobs posted:

But, uh. You haven't wanted that ever until the Yogscast thing. I haven't heard a single person praying to the powers that be that Notch stop working on Minecraft. Sure, I've heard people say Jeb should be in charge before, but that's completely different than Notch quitting, which is what people seem to think he's doing. :geno:

People have been suggestion notch quit and hand the project over to someone else since like, three threads back. What minecraft thread have you been reading?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

"A proper patch does good like a medicine; but a slew of bugs dries the bones."

Proverbs 17:22

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

kas posted:

People have been suggestion notch quit and hand the project over to someone else since like, three threads back. What minecraft thread have you been reading?

Putting someone else in charge is not the same thing as quitting developing the game in general. He specified that he is doing the former but everyone is overjoyed because they think it is the latter.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Matthew 7:5
"First remove the bug from your game, then you can see properly to add new features"

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Putting someone else in charge is not the same thing as quitting developing the game in general. He specified that he is doing the former but everyone is overjoyed because they think it is the latter.

Are they? From what I've read I got the impression that people are mainly happy about the fact that Notch now lets Jens have the final word in MC-related things, which hopefully results in saner decisions.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

"say to those with fearful hearts, 'Be strong, do not fear; Jeb will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.' "
Isaiah 35:4

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone is overjoyed because with jeb "in charge" things will actually get done. Like they actually already are.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Does a sheep's wool regrow as the same color it was before it was sheared, or does it just regrow white?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Leadthumb posted:

Does a sheep's wool regrow as the same color it was before it was sheared, or does it just regrow white?
In current mechanics, a sheep does not regrow wool. This is something we'll presumably see soon (evidenced by jeb's twitter).

A sheared sheep will produce offspring of the dyed/original color. This might suggest that they will regrow as the same color.