Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I've got that license to buy R12 too, it literally took me about 8 hours of class

That's a shame. Its a 1 hour online course and test. For $20. Open book.

http://epatest.com

609 is motor vehicles. I got 608 also, just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Post Horrible Mechanical Failures became Discuss Refrigerants

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Writing off everyone who lives in the southwest? It regularly hits 140 in the cabin and surface temps of things like the dash and seat belt buckle can hit 165+.

I live in Toronto and use it regularly. The summers are brutal, and there is the aforementioned defrost thing.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

grover posted:

If propane is such a great refrigerant, why don't we use it instead of R-134a?
Suits air con pressures in a/c suited for building/houses, ie R22 replacement.
House a/cs were on r22, fridges on r12. Notice that car a/c were on fridge gas, not a/c gas. Lower pressures of fridge gas was desirable on car a/cs due to their increased risk of leaks. Propane (and by that I mean r290, which is purified propane with moisture removed), is still way up there with a/c gas (r22) as far as pressures, better to have a lower pressure gas , a fridge gas in it.
r134a doesn't stress the system so much and may not leak due to it's lower operating pressures. House a/c went up in pressure to find a replacement (r22, r407c, r410a and maybe propane - r290) Car a/c need to find a fridge gas to replace it after r12, r134a is an equally low pressure gas, but commercial fridges went to r404a or r507, which are higher pressure, also domestic fridges went to r600a (isobutane) So realy no obvious replacements for a non flammable low pressure efficient refrigerant to replace r12. May as well stick with r134a.

I hate r134a, way better refrigerants. But if the world is 'going green', the 'global warming potential' as rated by scientists is a lot lower than other , better refrigerants or hydrocarbons unfortunately.

edit: V
sorry

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 3, 2011

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Post Horrible Mechanical Failures became Discuss Refrigerants

It's like a schizophrenic thread that goes off its medication once in a while.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Australians arent allowed to do their own A/C work, or LPG work, Or home electrical work...

Im just glad ive got a mate whos an A/C repairer because I get discounted work, otherwise its $150+ just for a regas.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

Australians arent allowed to do their own A/C work, or LPG work, Or home electrical work...

Im just glad ive got a mate whos an A/C repairer because I get discounted work, otherwise its $150+ just for a regas.

How is it you all live in a country founded as a penal colony wherein every single living thing can murder you outright, yet you can't do anything remotely dangerous? Goddamnit, I'm derailing the derail.

Getting back on topic, saw a car today with its front quarter panel duct-taped on. That's a first.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Boat posted:

How is it you all live in a country founded as a penal colony wherein every single living thing can murder you outright, yet you can't do anything remotely dangerous? Goddamnit, I'm derailing the derail.
I guess with AC stuff, stop loving idiots in the Australian community being bigger loving idiots, but makes it hard if you want to do a quick refill of your AC system.

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Post Horrible [snip] Refrigerants

came to post almost this exact phrase

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

You Am I posted:

I guess with AC stuff, stop loving idiots in the Australian community being bigger loving idiots, but makes it hard if you want to do a quick refill of your AC system.

drat right. If I had the gear I wouldn't think twice about filling the car AC with an alternate refrigerant. It's going to cost me at least $2-300 to get it refilled legit and tested again and, well I don't want to.

Last time I had it refilled they had it on their pressure testing machine for ages and it registered no leaks. He seemed to think the r134a system had been worked on by someone else in the past because it was a hot day and it got the cabin down to 8*C in the sun. I can't help but wonder what a less lovely refrigerant could achieve.

Give me guidelines and I will follow them. Don't ban me from doing something because some P plater dumps a bottle of propane up his rear end or something. Anyway I drive around with an 80ish litre tank of LPG and a 65?L tank of petrol directly below it.\ and I'm not dead. I'm not scared of a small amount of hydrocarbon gas in an open area.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

That's a shame. Its a 1 hour online course and test. For $20. Open book.

A: got paid to take my course :).

B: like I said, probably could have done it in an hour but this dude kept TALKING.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

EightBit posted:

I live in south Texas and my Jeep's A/C fan won't spin (the blower itself is fine but the knobs or wiring is hosed elsewhere), even days where it gets to 105 F I get by just fine without massive sweating. Maybe you people just need to take your doors off :smug:

Works fine in Texas. Here in Florida, we get 80%+ humidity all summer long; that sorta puts a damper on evaporative cooling.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Fucknag posted:

Works fine in Texas. Here in Florida, we get 80%+ humidity all summer long; that sorta puts a damper on evaporative cooling.

I lived in Corpus Christi (on the Gulf Coast and almost always 90+% humidity) and got by fine. Humans come from a part of the world that experiences these temperatures for most of the year (it's kinda why we have a mechanism for dealing with overheating).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

General_Failure posted:

Last time I had it refilled they had it on their pressure testing machine for ages and it registered no leaks. He seemed to think the r134a system had been worked on by someone else in the past because it was a hot day and it got the cabin down to 8*C in the sun. I can't help but wonder what a less lovely refrigerant could achieve.
I know with the old stuff (R13?) the AC repairer told me he could get my previous car down to 5C, 4C if I got some extra work done.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Not sure it counts as a mechanical failure but it certainly counts as a failure
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/3-million-smash-supercars-caught-in-mass-pileup-20111205-1odyh.html

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

dissss posted:

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/3-million-smash-supercars-caught-in-mass-pileup-20111205-1odyh.html

Outrageous human brain failure maybe, but nothing mechanical. From my point of view everything mechanical worked exactly as expected. Sad day though.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dissss posted:

Fuckin Prius ruins everything.

Fake edit:

quote:

About $3 million worth of supercars and luxury coupes from the 1980s to today - and a Toyota Prius - were damaged in the crash.

I absolutely love how they throw the Prius out in it's own group by itself there.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
Reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle methodically has provided me unique insight in cases like these.

1) It's probably the butler.
2) The butler is likely to be a Prius.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Almost 2 pages in a "post pictures" thread, not a single pic.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
edit: drat, wrong thread was open :downsrim:

EDIT2:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 5, 2011

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Sockington posted:

edit: drat, wrong thread was open :downsrim:

EDIT2:

I bet his metal shavings pan has been slightly contaminated with oil.

For content, here's a Fiat Punto engine literally making GBS threads itself.

(From youtube.)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was actually hoping for more of a 'BECAUSE RACECAR' response.

My 'BECAUSE RACECAR' doesn't have A/C if that makes you happy. Of course, when it's hot (I live in Phoenix, so that's most of the time) it travels on a trailer behind my comfortably air conditioned truck. :smug:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Rujo King posted:

(From youtube.)

Did the oil breakdown or something? Or is this the first oil change that engine has had in over 100k?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Longinus00 posted:

Did the oil breakdown or something? Or is this the first oil change that engine has had in over 100k?

Conversation on a different forum say old oil + metal shavings. Something about powdered aluminum working well as a thickener.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
That fiat made a roux.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Rujo King posted:

(From youtube.)
I've been wondering what to use as a drain pan when I finally get around to changing my oil. I never thought of cutting out the side of an antifreeze jug.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Delivery McGee posted:

I've been wondering what to use as a drain pan when I finally get around to changing my oil. I never thought of cutting out the side of an antifreeze jug.

you could just use a cookie sheet for that Fiat.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

You check your wheel bearings?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Gg9Yv3d7R0M#t=240s

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I love that the driver pointed at the wheel flying off in the distance before his car was even stopped.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

Welcome to riding a motorcycle daily. :D
I knew there was a reason I took to 2 wheels so easily.

Impending mechanical disaster:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f4/t168009-my-friends-soon-mega-fail-sti-rebuild.html

quote:

Leave in piles uncovered or oil passages unplugged.
Keep everything inside........... NOOOOOOOO OUTSIDE IN RAIN!!!!
Here is the soon to be death block.
Yes the head were rained in
Yes the block was rained in
No assembly grease was used in this production.

But don't worry he cleaned the block out super well......

quote:

yes .... you can't make this stuff up. he flipped the block took the oil pan off and filled the crank case with mineral spirits to get all the "gunk out"
so now the main bearings and rod bearings are 100% dry and sitting outside in the elements. last i saw it there was surface rust starting on the crank counter weights.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 6, 2011

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I knew there was a reason I took to 2 wheels so easily.

But don't worry he cleaned the block out super well......

Reminds me of a acquaintance I know in the MR2 forum, he spent 2K on a fresh new machined 4AGE, then left it dangling on a cherry picker with no cover or sparkplugs outside for a month. A tarp at the very least would have been better.

Of course that above is miles worse.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kotaru posted:

Reminds me of a acquaintance I know in the MR2 forum, he spent 2K on a fresh new machined 4AGE, then left it dangling on a cherry picker with no cover or sparkplugs outside for a month. A tarp at the very least would have been better.

Of course that above is miles worse.

AND HE'S A loving ENGINEERING STUDENT!?!?!?

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

AND HE'S A loving ENGINEERING STUDENT!?!?!?
What? No, never said that.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
So, uhm, don't drive around with leaky acetylene tanks in your FJ. Or something.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/139018-i-blew-up-my-fj-literally.html

quote:

i had an acetylene bottle in my truck, the valve was bumped so slightly and over night the truck filled with the gas. i noticed the smell, and opened the doors to air out the truck. i drove the truck out of the garage to get some more air movement. i went to roll the pass side window down and as soon as i touched the power windows. BAM. with me in the truck. i lost all hearing out of my right ear and got a scratch on the back of my head. all things considering, im alive.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Philip J Fry posted:

So, uhm, don't drive around with leaky acetylene tanks in your FJ. Or something.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/139018-i-blew-up-my-fj-literally.html

:stonk:

Holy! poo poo!

I would love to have watched that from a safe distance, it must have been quite a sight.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kotaru posted:

What? No, never said that.

I know it didn't.
My friend is the guy who made that thread.
The STI owner is an engineering student at VA Tech.

Philip J Fry posted:

looks like the gas got into all the panels and compartments of the truck. "Airing it out" probably only allowed for the proper mix of oxygen to allow the acetylene to go :psyboom:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 6, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Philip J Fry posted:

I remember a couple of years back a van in a Melbourne suburb blew up due to a leaky acetylene tank. Luckily the driver wasn't in the vehicle when it did blow up. The explosion happened when his apprentice used the remote for the door locks on the van. They found parts of the van blocks away from the incident.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
So the guy smells the gas in his truck, and decides to start it up anyway?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Looks like its still driveable to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I know it didn't.
My friend is the guy who made that thread.
The STI owner is an engineering student at VA Tech.

Wait... That STi? I'm pretty sure I saw that thing putting town a while back. I'm going to have to start taking my camera with me around town, just so when the dude fires a rusty connecting rod through his block I'll be ready to capture the moment.