Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

thrawn86 posted:

do they really start falling apart after breaking it down once or twice? modularity (was) a big reason I was looking at getting mostly an entire set of furniture there. I move around a lot.

A lot of the cheaper Ikea furniture will break down after several tear downs. Billy book cases, the DVD shelves, the really cheap computer desks, etc. The more expensive stuff can survive it as long as you are careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

CubanRefugee posted:

The whole process of putting together my galant took me about 15 minutes, and most of that was making sure my A-legs were all at the same height.

Speaking of legs, what are people's thoughts on the type of legs to get with a galant. Pros and cons of each?

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Speaking of legs, what are people's thoughts on the type of legs to get with a galant. Pros and cons of each?

A legs are more difficult to get even, since you double the number of legs you have to adjust. Besides whichever aesthetics you prefer, that's really the only difference. I don't believe one is any sturdier than the other. I like my T legs, but I'd be happy with A legs too.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you
Ikea is a wide range of quality. They have super cheap, mid-range, and some actually really nice stuff. Their prices reflect accordingly usually. The cheapest stuff they have probably wont' survive a lot of moves. I think I had a full sized 25 dollar book case that fell apart the first time I tried to move it. Conversely my Jerker desk has been moved and reassembled maybe 15 times in the years I've had it. And despite various moves it's survived and has been good. It is starting to finally show wear though on the side legs and I think the main table has a creek, but all in all surprising durability for a $100 desk.

The $7 lack tables or whatever are surprisingly durable for how cheap they are. One of those has survived as many moves for me as my jerker has. But those are the only two pieces of Ikea furniture to survive my many moves. Everything else (even my metal shelving/rack unit thing) ended up wearing out.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

thrawn86 posted:

do they really start falling apart after breaking it down once or twice? modularity (was) a big reason I was looking at getting mostly an entire set of furniture there. I move around a lot.

Depends on the furniture and quite honestly it is apparent what will and wont fall apart from the hardware involved. It isn't an Ikea thing though, any bookshelf or piece of furniture in a similar range has pretty much identical construction.

The desks are all steel frames though so short of managing to strip out the connecting threads you shouldn't have tear down issues.

JudasIscariot
Oct 22, 2003

Little kids do it best

KingEup posted:

Love you until the end.

I take it she means death, not divorce. Deliberate ambiguity?

She will probably end up killing me no doubt. Our wedding song was Pogues - Love you till the end.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
Cross-posting my new setup from the GBS thread:

Still not 100% finished on the cable management. There are cable trays, but I have yet to mount the power strips under the desk, and tidy up the cables with velcro.

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

They did not know that they were going to tune in on A.D. 13,582.
Jerker owner representing.

This was semi-posed, but it's more or less what the desk looks like these days. I normally have some grungy old X Trac mousepads under the mice and only three keyboards on the desk.

I've been on a pretty serious mechanical keyboard kick lately. Going clockwise from the freakishly orange beauty at the top, the pictured keyboards are: Realforce 87UB with 45g weighted keys, Leopold tenkeyless with red switches, Leopold tenkeyless with blue switches, Filco Tenkeyless Ninja Tactile Action Majestouch-2 (I kind of dig the full name for that one).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Autolyze posted:

I've been on a pretty serious mechanical keyboard kick lately.

Sell me one of those.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bottom Liner posted:

Sell me one of those.

Seconding this. You don't need them all. Sell me the leopold w/ blue switches.

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

Moey posted:

Seconding this. You don't need them all. Sell me the leopold w/ blue switches.

My babies! :ohdear:

Bluey is currently waiting on some beautiful dye-sublimated blue PBT keycaps that are getting made as we speak. I'm pretty excited about it, since it'll be my first set of custom keycaps and the blues *might* be my favorite to type on.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

Autolyze posted:

My babies! :ohdear:

Bluey is currently waiting on some beautiful dye-sublimated blue PBT keycaps that are getting made as we speak. I'm pretty excited about it, since it'll be my first set of custom keycaps and the blues *might* be my favorite to type on.

I have a jerker, two mechanical keyboards (both full size though with tenpad) and can't decide which i love more my brown or my blue.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

His & Her Vika's both warping from monitor weight. Going to just get one long butcher-block top next time Ikea has them in stock.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WorkingStiff posted:

His & Her Vika's both warping from monitor weight. Going to just get one long butcher-block top next time Ikea has them in stock.

Do you guys both use those computers at the same time? How does it not turn into one person distracting the other all the time?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

It works out OK. Actually when we had them set up at a 90, I had a harder time concentrating because it was just too much going on in my periphery and every time we needed the other's attention with something we'd have to get up to view the other's screen. If they were any closer it would be a problem. On the plus side, cable management is a breeze.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

Autolyze posted:

I've been on a pretty serious mechanical keyboard kick lately. Going clockwise from the freakishly orange beauty at the top, the pictured keyboards are: Realforce 87UB with 45g weighted keys, Leopold tenkeyless with red switches, Leopold tenkeyless with blue switches, Filco Tenkeyless Ninja Tactile Action Majestouch-2 (I kind of dig the full name for that one).
Jesus, that 87UB with those caps cost you, what, $500? Was it worth it? I want one so badly.

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

cbubbles posted:

I have a jerker, two mechanical keyboards (both full size though with tenpad) and can't decide which i love more my brown or my blue.

Yeah, it kind of depends on my mood. I've got a Das with browns at work, so I usually feel like it's a treat to be able to come home and get all clicky with the blues.

illamint posted:

Jesus, that 87UB with those caps cost you, what, $500? Was it worth it? I want one so badly.

I think it ended up being around $470 shipped. I attempted to order an 86UB (sans extra keycaps) shortly before this stuff went up on Elite Keyboards, which would've "only" been $265, but after a couple days I got an email saying that they were actually out of stock. I was kind of bummed about it, so when the 45g 87UB and ridiculously bright keycaps popped up on the site, I ended up taking the plunge in a fit of keyboard mania. Beer *may* have also been involved.

I was questioning my purchase for a couple days before the keyboard arrived, but oh man, is it worth it. It's like typing on butter. I mean, typing on butter in a good way.

The almost black keycaps that come on the keyboard look far better in person than online, so it might be a slightly more sane idea to get the keyboard prior to the keycaps, but I don't regret the caps either. If nothing else, I'm sure this keyboard will impress the ladies... right?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Autolyze posted:

If nothing else, I'm sure this keyboard will impress the ladies... right?

If they understand keeping your dexterous fingers in tiptop shape is a smart idea. :pervert:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ptier posted:

If they understand keeping your dexterous fingers in tiptop shape is a smart idea. :pervert:

So this is the logic I can use for justifying my first mechanical keyboard! I also need to setup a drat desk at home.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Crappy camera, but whatever.
HP ZR2740w + 2007FP in portrait + E6410 laptop.

ProtoKaiser
Feb 28, 2005

Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?
My work desk, it's absolutely horrible right now with dust and post-its. But Cobra Commander has my back, so that's reassuring.

I'm looking for a new home desk though, but I'm not a fan of the Galant (I want something with drawers). Any other suggestions?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ProtoKaiser posted:

My work desk, it's absolutely horrible right now with dust and post-its. But Cobra Commander has my back, so that's reassuring.

I'm looking for a new home desk though, but I'm not a fan of the Galant (I want something with drawers). Any other suggestions?

Do you want a bank of drawers or just some storage? The galant has a drawer option.

ProtoKaiser
Feb 28, 2005

Juriko posted:

Do you want a bank of drawers or just some storage? The galant has a drawer option.

Just some stuff for storage, like CD's and misc. crap like that. I didn't notice the Galant had a drawer option, I'll take another look.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ProtoKaiser posted:

I would call your desk clean and relatively clutter-free.

This is my desk from the first of the three offices we were in at my last job. Aside from moving day this is the cleanest it ever got.

My office manager would frequently complain about the state of my desk and threatened multiple times to clean it for me.

Yes, that is a bubble on the side of that computer, I made it 10 years ago and didn't have a better case to put my work computer into.

This is from the third office we were at, as you can kinda see there is a pile of crap spilling over (those lights are for the flatbed I made for my pickup truck and don't realy have a point here). The most important thing in this picture though isn't what's on the desk, but what's under it and what was inside.

If you ever have the chance to convince your boss a personal fridge is a great idea, do it, nothing like having a cold brew after a long boring meeting. Or whenever you feel like it, because hey, you've got a BEER FRIDGE under your desk and nobody knows what's inside it except you.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 29, 2011

ProtoKaiser
Feb 28, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

:words:

I didn't post pics of the sides. The left side has a phone, pens, and a small stack of random papers. The right side has a bunch of empty boxes and dead laptops.

The absolute worst desk is one of the Senior VP's in the office. His desk is covered in stacks of papers that are probably at least 6 inches tall. Like the entire desk, you literally can't see any wood.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ProtoKaiser posted:

I didn't post pics of the sides. The left side has a phone, pens, and a small stack of random papers. The right side has a bunch of empty boxes and dead laptops.

Sounds pretty clean and well organized to me.

The only reason why you can see any part of my desk in picture two is because I was taking pictures of the lights for my records and had shoved a bunch of stuff out of the way. I wish I had a full picture of that desk, food wrappers, toilet paper, misc hardware, cans, toys, stacks of papers, ripped up envelopes, books, clothes, etc. I lived out of my desk at work.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

MEsean posted:

What kind of desk is this?

MEsean
Aug 29, 2003

BathroomTile posted:

What kind of desk is this?

http://legarefurniture.com/

It's a pretty sturdy desk, with the ability to be modular. Takes about 2 minutes to assemble and disassemble as well.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

MEsean posted:

It's a pretty sturdy desk, with the ability to be modular. Takes about 2 minutes to assemble and disassemble as well.

I have one and love it! I can take more pictures tonight

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I want a big bamboo Legare desk but they are SO expensive. :(

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

MEsean posted:

Is that the 47x47? I'm looking for a corner desk - I checked out the Ikea Galant, but I think it's a bit too big for my room. I like the Legare, but that's out of my price range for now. Is there anything like the Galant, but maybe a little smaller with a similar price range?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Desk is Sharper Image, which I got from Office Max, it's pretty awesome and sturdy if you're looking for a glass desk, came with a upper shelf piece which I took off. That said you guys are seriously making me want one of those Galant corner desks, does anyone know if the 9 dollar keyboard tray add-on is worth a drat?

PS. if anyone was curious about how badly the itouch does indoor photos, now you know.

Xanar
Feb 22, 2006

The desk is an Ikea Galant. Chair is a used Aeron that I got off eBay.
The monitors are 2 Dell 24" with Ergotron mounts.

I'm quite happy with it, can't really think of anything else I would want to add.

Xanar fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 3, 2011

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Desk is Sharper Image, which I got from Office Max, it's pretty awesome and sturdy if you're looking for a glass desk, came with a upper shelf piece which I took off. That said you guys are seriously making me want one of those Galant corner desks, does anyone know if the 9 dollar keyboard tray add-on is worth a drat?

PS. if anyone was curious about how badly the itouch does indoor photos, now you know.

Keyboard trays are never worth a drat. Show off that sweet keyboard!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

glompix posted:

Just noticed that the desk has adjustable height :love: gently caress a keyboard tray.

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

Xanar posted:

The desk is an Ikea Galant. Chair is a used Aeron that I got off eBay.
The monitors are 2 Dell 24" with Ergotron mounts.

I'm quite happy with it, can't really think of anything else I would want to add.

Lose the two monitors and go for a larger single... everything else looks good :thumbsup:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

glompix posted:

I'll take a pencil-drawer over a keyboard tray any day of the week. Great for keeping poo poo off your desk.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

teh z0rg queen posted:

Lose the two monitors and go for a larger single... everything else looks good :thumbsup:

You must be kidding. You'd lose space to work on, and it would be less useful.
If anything, you'd want a third 24" so you could run eyefinity. Definitely not a single.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

I like bezels in my face. ahh yes.. this is awesome. Staring at a huge median in front of my face. Truly the future is now.