Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
This may be stating the obvious, but I just noticed it, and am happy I can filter stuff that's not on my notebook but that's otherwise associated with my iTunes/iCloud account. Maybe this will help someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
I can't change the way these albums / artists are viewed. I've tried the compilation help suggested on the prior page. No matter what I do, there are around 550 artists and 330 albums. Is there a program that can clean this up better than Itunes? I don't get it, because there is no reason within the ID3 tags for some of these things to be the way they are, yet they still are there.

Here's an example:

Watch The Throne is under both Jay-Z & Kanye, and Kanye & Jay-Z. I don't want this, but no matter what I do in Itunes, it doesn't change this. Has anyone else experience this? (This wasn't a problem on previous firmware on the Ipod, but I don't want to roll back because Itunes has this annoying habit of auto-updating even with me saying otherwise).

To put it another way, regardless of what it says I changed these to in Itunes, it simply refuses to reflect this in the Ipod. I don't need an artist for Dave Matthews & Phish when I only have one song on my Ipod from them, but changing it through Itunes does nothing to the Ipod, even though there is no way Phish is on the track by searching through Itunes.

King of Spit fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 2, 2011

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is it common for an iPod to not let me transfer songs from it to iTunes? I have a song on my iPod that I bought from iTunes on my PC, but now I'm on a Mac and it won't allow me to transfer the song to iTunes. :confused: Oddly the particular song (and other songs I bought at that time) won't show up on my iTunes account at all as being purchased. Granted, this was quite a few years ago but it's still the same account.

On a related note, I recently bought the Apple earphones with remote and mic, and while the play/pause/forward/back options work (it's one button), the volume control doesn't (+ and -). They do nothing when connected to my Mac, either, and my Mac won't recognize the mic on the headphones. My iPod is a 5th Gen Nano and is compatible with the headphones but the volume control just doesn't work. Is it a defective unit? Also in case anyone was wondering, the headphones are pretty lovely, there's no bass on them at all.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Stare-Out posted:

Is it common for an iPod to not let me transfer songs from it to iTunes?

On a related note, I recently bought the Apple earphones with remote and mic

You can't transfer just any music from an iPod to iTunes. It's some sort of rule the MPAA decided they wanted. You can transfer purchased music, use File->Transfer Purchases from iPod. If you want to get your music from your iPod to your computer, there are free programs which do that for you.

When you have your iPod connected to iTunes, do a Get Info on the song you're trying to transfer, it should tell you what account it was purchased by. Maybe it isn't what you expect, and that's why transfer purchases isn't working...

How old is your Mac? In theory, the 5th gen Nano should be able to use the volume control on your headphones. Take it to an Apple Store or call AppleCare and have them replace the headphones for you.

edit: *RIAA

chimz fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 4, 2011

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
This is more of an iPhone/iPad problem than iTunes but maybe someone knows how to do it...

When I signed up for iTunes Match the "Purchased" folder on my iPhone went away. I like the folder so I created a Smart Playlist on iTunes that said "Where iTunes Match Status is Purchased"

Works great on my PC. I can see all my purchased music. Doesn't work on my iPhone/iPad, it just shows me every single matched or purchased song.

Any ideas how I can create this in an alternative way?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

This is more of an iPhone/iPad problem than iTunes but maybe someone knows how to do it...

When I signed up for iTunes Match the "Purchased" folder on my iPhone went away. I like the folder so I created a Smart Playlist on iTunes that said "Where iTunes Match Status is Purchased"

Works great on my PC. I can see all my purchased music. Doesn't work on my iPhone/iPad, it just shows me every single matched or purchased song.

Any ideas how I can create this in an alternative way?

How about this?

Be sure to notice that "Any" rule above the playlist selections.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

IUG posted:

How about this?

I am pretty sure "nested" playlists are not allowed on iTunes Match, but I can't find the article on Apple's site.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Toe Rag posted:

I am pretty sure "nested" playlists are not allowed on iTunes Match, but I can't find the article on Apple's site.

Yep I have smart playlist based on another playlist, and the error specifically says "Smart playlists referencing other playlists are not supported on iCloud".

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

chimz posted:

You can't transfer just any music from an iPod to iTunes. It's some sort of rule the MPAA decided they wanted. You can transfer purchased music, use File->Transfer Purchases from iPod. If you want to get your music from your iPod to your computer, there are free programs which do that for you.

When you have your iPod connected to iTunes, do a Get Info on the song you're trying to transfer, it should tell you what account it was purchased by. Maybe it isn't what you expect, and that's why transfer purchases isn't working...

How old is your Mac? In theory, the 5th gen Nano should be able to use the volume control on your headphones. Take it to an Apple Store or call AppleCare and have them replace the headphones for you.
File -> Transfer Purchases worked like a charm! Thanks. Even though I have a ton of duplicates now, but still. And yeah, the tracks were bought with the same account, but I couldn't copy them over manually which is why I was confused.

My Mac is a 2007 MacBook Pro running 10.7.2, but won't respond to any controls on the remote, whereas the Nano responds to the middle button which controls play/pause etc. but not volume controls. Also I think external mics for the MBP require a separate power source or something, which I guess is why the mic on the headphones won't work, either.

Guess I'll take the headphones to my nearest Apple store to be checked out.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Guess I'll take the headphones to my nearest Apple store to be checked out.

The headphones should work on the nano: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3310

I don't think they work on the 2007 models. http://support.apple.com/kb/sp13 Only the later models indicate "Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone" on their page. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP582

Are you using the mic port or the headphone port on your Mac? The headphones are supposed to use the headphone port. The mic port is of a type that gives a better signal but requires a powered mic.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I tried both ports, headphone port gave sound in the headphones, but no mic and the mic port gave neither. Plugging any ordinary mic into the mic port isn't enough, the Mac won't recognize it. Not that it matters that much, I won't be using them with the Mac all that much probably. But yeah, I'm sure the volume controls should work with the Nano, it's just odd that I'm getting no response when I use them, figure the unit is busted. Hopefully I'll get new ones when I hit the Apple store. Appreciate the help. :)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

IUG posted:

How about this?

Actually -- I looked into it further.

This works.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
Is there any way to de-authorize computers you no longer have access too? I've been using iTunes for years on my many iterations of PC desktops. However like a retard I never realized I needed to de-authorize them when I changed PCs.

Flash forward to today when I purchased my very first Mac (17" MacBook Pro) and when I attempted to sign in to iTunes on it I am told I have used my five authorizations and need to deactivate one in order to set it up on the new laptop. The only problem is I no longer have access to any of the other PCs tied to the account. Is there any way to do this online or whatnot? Can customer service do it? Will be be a hassle?

Thanks! Now back to figuring out an entirely new computing system...

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TheKeeper posted:

Is there any way to de-authorize computers you no longer have access too? I've been using iTunes for years on my many iterations of PC desktops. However like a retard I never realized I needed to de-authorize them when I changed PCs.

Flash forward to today when I purchased my very first Mac (17" MacBook Pro) and when I attempted to sign in to iTunes on it I am told I have used my five authorizations and need to deactivate one in order to set it up on the new laptop. The only problem is I no longer have access to any of the other PCs tied to the account. Is there any way to do this online or whatnot? Can customer service do it? Will be be a hassle?

Thanks! Now back to figuring out an entirely new computing system...
Log into the iTunes store from within iTunes, and click 'Account' under your Apple ID in the top-right. You should see this option:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I have a new laptop (Windows 7) and every time I make the iTunes window active it tries to read my disk drive, which is annoying because it's loud and clunky. It happens every single time, regardless of whether or not it's empty. Is there any way I can get iTunes to stop doing that, short of disabling the drive?

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

TACD posted:

Log into the iTunes store from within iTunes, and click 'Account' under your Apple ID in the top-right. You should see this option:

You, sir, are my goddamn hero.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Is there any way to import the number of plays from my ipod to my itunes library?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Fairly certain that number syncs when you sync your iPod. I'd say like 99% certain.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

benisntfunny posted:

Fairly certain that number syncs when you sync your iPod. I'd say like 99% certain.

I'm 100% certain because I have a smart playlist based on play count.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yes it does or the OCD sperg in me would explode. That's to say I have a "new" playlist, and the songs stay in there basically until they're played 3 times. I listen to this playlist most of the time when I'm on the way to work/at work. And the playcount has always worked this way for me (except for the one random time my iPod restarted itself, and the OCD sperg in me went crazy).

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

It doesn't for me. I think that's because I have it set to manage my ipod manually.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I was trying foobar and decided I hated it. When I went back to iTunes, I found all my artist playlists that iTunes automatically made on my iPod were gone. Is there anyway to get this back quickly?

I don't keep any music on my local HD, just the iPod. See in the image, from the start of putting anything on my iPod it would automatically just create an artist playlist. However, now I have to make smart playlists for any artist I'd want to listen to which is frustrating.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 12, 2011

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

No. 9 posted:

Any idea on how to get this back?

A) Just use the Artists list on your iPod instead of manually doing the same thing...

B) Select the tracks by a certain artist and do File->New Playlist from Selection, it automatically names the playlist after the common properties of the songs, so it should name them after the artist you select. I'd use the Column Browser to show specific artists' songs, check out View->Column Browser.

C)

No. 9 posted:

I don't keep any music on my local HD, just the iPod

Never do this, it's a recipe for sadness when your iPod drive borks or you manage to wipe it on accident which apparently lots of people do often.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh man, I'm dumb. Thanks for pointing out the column browser. I've got everything backed up on an external drive.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I signed up for iTunes match, and thank Christ I did because I had to reformat less than a month later. Its nice to have everything on demand, but is it possible to tell iTunes to just go ahead and download everything?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

gypsyshred posted:

I signed up for iTunes match, and thank Christ I did because I had to reformat less than a month later. Its nice to have everything on demand, but is it possible to tell iTunes to just go ahead and download everything?

Go to the music library after you've turned on iTunes match. Apple-A. Then right click and choose download. Then wait for a long time.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

echobucket posted:

Go to the music library after you've turned on iTunes match. Apple-A. Then right click and choose download. Then wait for a long time.

That doesn't seem to be working. Everythings grey and I don't have a download option, and the cloud button no longer does anything. Is there a setting that changed or something?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

gypsyshred posted:

That doesn't seem to be working. Everythings grey and I don't have a download option, and the cloud button no longer does anything. Is there a setting that changed or something?

You need to make sure you only select off things that are actually downloadable up in iCloud. Perhaps you could make a smart playlist to show only things in iCloud and then select all in that playlist and hit download?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
What ended up working was to turn off match, then reauthorize. I'm not sure what broke, but it's working now.

crip drinkn milk
Jan 31, 2001

IS DOG VEGABLE?
I just ran itunes match for the first time and it wants to upload 11000 songs out of the 12000 or so I have in my library. I hit stop once it started to upload tracks, 100gb would kill me to upload. It failed to match pretty much everything, what did I do wrong?

Examples of quite mainstream stuff that it failed on that I can't understand :
Moby - 18
Bloc Party - A weekend in the city
Daft Punk - every single album, except the remix album of the Tron soundtrack
and 11000 other tracks.

edit - temporary freakout averted
seems to be the inverse situation and it's wanting to upload my meticulously anal artwork for that many songs, but appears to have matched 11k tunes

crip drinkn milk fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 17, 2011

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
Does anyone have an app they could recommend to convert FLAC into Apple Lossless?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TheState posted:

Does anyone have an app they could recommend to convert FLAC into Apple Lossless?

XLD. Good for ripping, too.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
If anyone is still on the fence about buying into match, do it. I'm recovering my entire collection and it would have been a bitch to replace, I'd be so screwed otherwise.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

TheState posted:

I use xACT.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

beefnoodle posted:

I use xACT.

Worked perfect, thanks!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My iPod Nano 6Gen just decided not to show up on iTunes. I can still sync music and charge and stuff, but I can't do much else. Is there a way to get it back? It happened with my old Touch but it started working randomly again.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Reset the device with its settings and then reformat/reinstall the firmware?

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)
Figured I could ask this here: Itunes says I can complete Common's new album after buying the two singles, but when I click on complete my album it does nothing. Am I supposed to edit the track info to get this, or is this iTunes just messing with me when they offered this?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Find out if you were charged for using the Complete This Album feature. If you were, contact iTunes Support for help. If not, I suspect something is up with that album specifically and probably worth contacting iTunes Support about anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Sigma posted:

Reset the device with its settings and then reformat/reinstall the firmware?

Didn't seem to work. Will I lose my playlists and manually placed cover art if I try reinstalling iTunes?