Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Nice OP, I especially like the breakdown of the ADs. I was just telling a friend yesterday that Urakawa started out on the show giving some shaky advice, but by season 4 was Arino's go-to guy. Which of course culminated in one of the funniest punch lines ever in the Ninja Gaiden episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Wow, now that's a pretty extensive OP. Nice one, Random Stranger.

Man, I can't wait to watch Arino play Arino's Challenge. Retro Game Challenge might just be my favorite DS game.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know if it is possible to have a more well done OP....maybe in a hopeful future where this thread has a third generation as we all bask in untold GCCX greatness...

Very much looking forward to all the things to come and a hearty thanks to all making it happen!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You know, for people that are getting back into retro games thanks to this show, you might want to venture into our very own
Retro game discussion

and we have an IRC chat at: irc://irc.synirc.net/retrochat

Discussion of GCCX is welcome, along with chatting about old videogames and sometimes newer.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Obeast posted:

I'm going by what I saw and I think these were the challenges. I'm still watching it when I posted this, but I will update the post as I keep watching unless someone who either knows Japanese well enough to translate them and/or already watched it posts a list.

1) Warp to and complete stage 64 (the final stage) in Cosmic Gate
2) Find the hidden Arino head/king in Haggleman 1
3) Complete the first race in Rally King without taking damage
4) Get the 1.5 million (I guess the 150 thing is how they say 1.5 million in Japan?) point bonus in Area 4 of Star Prince
5) Finish the last three in-game challenges of Rally King SP for Abe (who seems to suck at the game)
6) Doing some weird trick regarding going through the exit of each stage with a few seconds left in Haggleman 2 (I have no idea what this one does)
7) Find and defeat the hidden Demon Arino boss in Guadia Quest (with underleveled characters)
8) Complete the third/final stage in Haggleman 3

This was exactly what I was looking for in my post. RandomStranger may have misunderstood my post as I meant to say "Retro Game Challenge". I love both the GCCX DS games, but rarly play the first game as the second game has more fun and more content. The only thing I really go back to play alot in the first game is Haggleman 1+2.

Also, I am still looking for anyone with a copy of the Japanese Strategy Guide for both GCCX DS games. I would love to see scans for the book. But I especially need the Wiz Man Guide translated so I can finish my Wiz Man FAQ on GameFaqs. There is also an awesome Japanese Wiki for both DS games in the link below.

To ZariGani:
Would you translate the Wizman section of the mentioned wiki for me. The only section I really need translated is the section for the gold magical rods and the section on teleporting forward and backward in the levels. Google translate is terrible on this page.

GCCX DS game Wiki:
http://www29.atwiki.jp/ds_gamecenter_cx/pages/1.html

I think this link would be useful to those playing the DS games. Would you post it in the OP.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 4, 2011

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
A wonderful OP for a wonderful show with a wonderful translation team.

Also, Nakayama has a twitter account too, it's @Poco_SP_Dragon

You guys are the best. :allears:

McLaglen
Nov 12, 2011

what is love?
what is free love?
what is love?
love is free.

:scotland:
In the spirit of spreading awareness for this project across the Internet, and to counteract those brief periods where non-members can't view the thread, I've created a Steam group that will regularly pester you about games while you're playing games (ie. Announcements will happen when the SA Team release a new episode, or something else notable appears in the thread).

The release of the DS game special is pretty good timing in my case; I'm nearing the end of the Story Mode, so hopefully they'll feature some useful secrets during the episode!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
That's an incredibly thorough couple of OPs. GJ!

I think Sasano's tendency to leave the controller drenched in sweat should be mentioned since it comes up so often in the show.

Jetpack Postman posted:

God, it's been a long while since I reared my ugly head 'round these parts. I've been on a Skyrim binge for so long it was difficult to make enough mental real estate for anything else. I even missed when you guys posted the episode I requested, hahahaha (I already managed to watch it. It came out great!).

I want to play Skyrim so bad, but I have way too much work to do before my vacation so I purposely haven't bought it yet. I know I'll get sucked into it and I can't afford to. I should be able to start in January and then you won't see me for two months. I only hope I can make my character as freakish looking as my Oblivion character.

joek0 posted:

To ZariGani:
Would you translate the Wizman section of the mentioned wiki for me. The only section I really need translated is the section for the gold magical rods and the section on teleporting forward and backward in the levels. Google translate is terrible on this page.

GCCX DS game Wiki:
http://www29.atwiki.jp/ds_gamecenter_cx/pages/1.html

Okay, but my translation will be iffy in some parts because I haven't played too much of Wiz-Man, therefore I don't have a firm grasp on the context.

Floor Skip
- Take the crystals that sometimes light up, 4 in row, to warp to the next floor
- If you die after warping, you'll be returned to the previous floor
- You can do this on the final floor (32) but you'll be returned to the previous floor, even after defeating the final boss

Magical Rod:
- 3 rods can be obtained per stage
- Its attribute is light, and it can defeat enemies of any attribute
* However, white enemies (white wisp, white dragon, white knight [skeleton], white wizard) will require more than one hit
- Upon picking one up, the rods of fire and ice will disappear
- Even if you fulfill the next challenge while the magical rod is dropped, you can't get it (?)
- If you make a mistake while your magical rod is out, you must do the same challenge repeatedly (some floors, like 5 and 13, will not enable you to repeat the challenge so be careful)
- When you clear a stage, the number of magical rods you obtained will be counted toward your title
* Even if you lose one due to a mistake or magic attack, it will count
* When you Continue, the number of rods you obtained will be shown in the ending

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 4, 2011

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Okay, but my translation will be iffy in some parts because I haven't played too much of Wiz-Man, therefore I don't have a firm grasp on the context.

Floor Skip
- Take the crystals that sometimes light up, 4 in row, to warp to the next floor
- If you die after warping, you'll be returned to the previous floor
- You can do this on the final floor (32) but you'll be returned to the previous floor, even after defeating the final boss

Magical Rod:
- 3 rods can be obtained per stage
- Its attribute is light, and it can defeat enemies of any attribute
* However, white enemies (white wisp, white dragon, white knight [skeleton], white wizard) will require more than one hit
- Upon picking one up, the rods of fire and ice will disappear
- Even if you fulfill the next challenge while the magical rod is dropped, you can't get it (?)
- If you make a mistake while your magical rod is out, you must do the same challenge repeatedly (some floors, like 5 and 13, will not enable you to repeat the challenge so be careful)
- When you clear a stage, the number of magical rods you obtained will be counted toward your title
* Even if you lose one due to a mistake or magic attack, it will count
* When you Continue, the number of rods you obtained will be shown in the ending

Thanks! I was actually looking for locations of all 3 gold rods on some of the 32 levels. If you get a chance to do it, I would be gratful. I will also credit you in my FAQ.

I need the rod locations for levels 9-20, 23-28, 30, and 32.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 4, 2011

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

joek0 posted:

Thanks! I was actually looking for locations of all 3 gold rods on some of the 32 levels. If you get a chance to do it, I would be gratful. I will also credit you in my FAQ.

I need the rod locations for levels 9-20, 23-28, 30, and 32.

This got really long so I uploaded my translation here: http://www.text-upload.com/read.php?id=211424&c=1316243

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

This got really long so I uploaded my translation here: http://www.text-upload.com/read.php?id=211424&c=1316243

Thanks for the info. My DS is dead am waiting to get a 3DS pretty soon. I will test the locations later. You are great for doing this for me. Hope to see GCCX: ANC2 for DS get a US release.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I always wanted to watch this so I decided just to try it out. It's great, although I really like the "exploring Japan" sections more than the challenges. Thanks for all the hard work!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Does he do DEADLY TOWERS?

Someone make it so.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Kazvall posted:

Does he do DEADLY TOWERS?

Someone make it so.

They mentioned it at the end of The Chief Returns during a meeting, but passed on it due to the difficulty I think.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Don't want to be all "HEY WHEN THIS GON BE TRANSLATED", but how high is Ocarina Of Time on the priority list? I'd really like to see that one.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Amppelix posted:

Don't want to be all "HEY WHEN THIS GON BE TRANSLATED", but how high is Ocarina Of Time on the priority list? I'd really like to see that one.

Have you seen the Link to the Past episode? It's been mentioned that Ocarina of Time is pretty dull since, thanks to editing hours of footage down into 30 minutes (to fit the arcade segments and other segments plus introducing the game and theme song) they don't exactly show Arino 'wrestling' with puzzles or bosses as you would often seen in a shorter game like Golgo 13.

It's a good game, but just warning you, thanks to how they have to edit it, it's a dull episode to watch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fenix down posted:

Nice OP, I especially like the breakdown of the ADs.

I'm not thrilled with that section so it's on my list to for a complete revision.

But what I have in mind for the crew section will take a while to put together so it's on hold at least until the episodes are done.

iastudent posted:

They mentioned it at the end of The Chief Returns during a meeting, but passed on it due to the difficulty I think.

They've gone back to games that they've initially passed on so it's not impossible that Deadly Towers will show up in the future.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Have you seen the Link to the Past episode? It's been mentioned that Ocarina of Time is pretty dull since, thanks to editing hours of footage down into 30 minutes (to fit the arcade segments and other segments plus introducing the game and theme song) they don't exactly show Arino 'wrestling' with puzzles or bosses as you would often seen in a shorter game like Golgo 13.

It's a good game, but just warning you, thanks to how they have to edit it, it's a dull episode to watch.
I was expecting as much, since it's a really popular game there had to be a reason it wasn't translated. Oh well

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I'd say the episode I'm really interested in most right now is the multiple part Super Metroid Wii Channel one. Are there good versions of it available online?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

While Ocarina of Time isn't on the current list to translate I can show you the best part of the episode:

Arino stops for the night and hands off to AD's Emoto and Itou to continue. He returns in the morning and Itou explains the plot to him with...

I think this was the last time Itou did art for the show too...

cronox2 posted:

I'd say the episode I'm really interested in most right now is the multiple part Super Metroid Wii Channel one. Are there good versions of it available online?

I have a good version of it. Or at least as good as any video that was streamed to the Nintendo Channel could be.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Of all the stuff currently unsubbed, I'm surprised Megaman 4's two-parter is there. Was it just not as fun as the others have been, or is it on the list to be subbed somewhere?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Please tell me that was all the title cards.

Link found the master sword and met Shiek, Link found the forest temple. We found ramen.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 4, 2011

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

Of all the stuff currently unsubbed, I'm surprised Megaman 4's two-parter is there. Was it just not as fun as the others have been, or is it on the list to be subbed somewhere?

I don't want to bog things down with moving through each episode and saying, "Not on the list."

Everything after episode 106 has a few strikes against it that make getting a translation slower. There's issues of familiarity and availability (though we've good good masters of everything now) that just naturally push them down the list. They'll be done eventually but everyone has other priorities first.

FWIW, I think seasons 14 and 15 are awesome and the only weak episodes in the bunch are Ocarina of Time and F-Zero. AD Takahashi really knows how to pick an awesome game for the show...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I don't want to bog things down with moving through each episode and saying, "Not on the list."

Everything after episode 106 has a few strikes against it that make getting a translation slower. There's issues of familiarity and availability (though we've good good masters of everything now) that just naturally push them down the list. They'll be done eventually but everyone has other priorities first.

FWIW, I think seasons 14 and 15 are awesome and the only weak episodes in the bunch are Ocarina of Time and F-Zero. AD Takahashi really knows how to pick an awesome game for the show...

Maybe you could mention that the 'serious' translation movement has only been going on for... what, little over half a year now? We've gotten on average a new episode per week at that rate. There's just a huge log of episodes to go through.

You guys have done a good job of mixing it up with some recognizable stuff with obscure stuff that still manages to be interesting to watch (case in point, the two quiz games).

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ineffiable posted:

Maybe you could mention that the 'serious' translation movement has only been going on for... what, little over half a year now? We've gotten on average a new episode per week at that rate. There's just a huge log of episodes to go through.

You guys have done a good job of mixing it up with some recognizable stuff with obscure stuff that still manages to be interesting to watch (case in point, the two quiz games).

Yeah, I think it's better if we just leave it up to the translation team's best judgement. It's always nice to be surprised by the new episodes coming out :3:.

Also, imagine if instead of GCCX being translated, it was Gaki no Tsukai. That list would be exponentially larger.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
I recently started watching this with the episode where he did the car shmup game (I'm terrible with names) and i find it terribly fun to watch even though I'm not much into retro games myself.

Also the games he recently does are so freakin' weird and hilarious. I mean, a game about a tengu destroying manhattan with the statue of liberty as a boss? Oh yeah.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Nyagato posted:

I recently started watching this with the episode where he did the car shmup game (I'm terrible with names) and i find it terribly fun to watch even though I'm not much into retro games myself.

Also the games he recently does are so freakin' weird and hilarious. I mean, a game about a tengu destroying manhattan with the statue of liberty as a boss? Oh yeah.

Not only that, but we're still not clear on why exactly it's a tengu mask in Japan and a severed samurai head in the North American release. The obvious answer is "Americans don't know what a tengu is therefore head". The official answer is "We made it with the head for overseas release but switched to the tengu mask for the Japanese release 'cos the head's gory." This doesn't quite jibe with the fact that it came out in Japan first, but stranger things have happened.

Paul Bunyan is the real mystery of that game, in my opinion. Did they just hear "Paul Bunyan is a giant lumberjack" and go "Okay, screw reference art, we have enough to go on. Muscle Daddy, go!"? Or is this actually a prequel to Cho Aniki? The world may never know.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I want to play Skyrim so bad, but I have way too much work to do before my vacation so I purposely haven't bought it yet. I know I'll get sucked into it and I can't afford to. I should be able to start in January and then you won't see me for two months. I only hope I can make my character as freakish looking as my Oblivion character.

You might be a little disappointed. I haven't messed around with the character sliders too much, but there seems to be more emphasis on pre-set facial features and the sliders seem a bit toned down compared to Oblivion. Then again I tend not to mess with stuff like that too much so I could very well be completely wrong. But if I'm not, there's always Dark Souls you can turn to for freakish character needs.

Also I envy your foresight. Skyrim took up so much of my attention that I took a look at my school schedule and realized that finals are coming up in less than two weeks. I think I need to seriously consider a change in hobbies if I ever want to have a career, haha.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The car shmup is Battle Formula (Super Spy Hunter in the US). It's pretty fun but hard, especially during sections where you need to speed up to go over jumps or you automatically die.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

The car shmup is Battle Formula (Super Spy Hunter in the US). It's pretty fun but hard, especially during sections where you need to speed up to go over jumps or you automatically die.

It could also be Paris-Dakar Rally which features shooting sections.

No, I don't know why. That game is completely insane.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Random Stranger posted:

What's weak about the Ocarina episode? It's one I've wanted to see.

For that matter, I always enjoy the episodes of games I played myself more, but I think that's just because I remember them fondly. Seeing Arino have trouble with an obstacle I remember being tough is fun viewing.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

It was explained a few posts down... The editing cut out most of the puzzle parts.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Oh, I don't know how I missed that. Thanks! That is pretty disappointing, and probably why by and large they stick to older games. The whole "shorter, but with length from difficulty" suits the nature of the show a lot better, I guess.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
Great OP.

This show has reinvigorated my enjoyment of gaming as a hobby, even games of this current generation where I was in a funk where most games were a chore to me.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

ReWinter posted:

Oh, I don't know how I missed that. Thanks! That is pretty disappointing, and probably why by and large they stick to older games. The whole "shorter, but with length from difficulty" suits the nature of the show a lot better, I guess.

I would love to see a 2 hour special or something like that of him playing Ocarina.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

But it's not as funny when he plays good, not-especially-difficult games.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Doc Hawkins posted:

But it's not as funny when he plays good, not-especially-difficult games.

Let's get our pennies together and send them a copy of Action 52 with a note about the Cheetahmen. And maybe some taffy or something.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

redmercer posted:

Let's get our pennies together and send them a copy of Action 52 with a note about the Cheetahmen. And maybe some taffy or something.

"Today, your goal is to play every part of this game for at least 5 minutes without wanting to kill yourself"

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

redmercer posted:

Cheetmahmen was a huge internet meme in Japan a few years ago, but I imagine clearing the rights to broadcast the game would be about as feasable as clearing the game itself :{

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seith
Sep 28, 2011
Amazing new OP, can't wait for more new translations!