Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Times posted:

I really want some kind of means in the regular game of creating zones where monsters can't spawn without using lights. Like some idol you have to either find or build, which you can place in a town area or your base or something, and then you don't have to worry about overdoing it on torches or having a creeper spawn in an area because of one glitched minor patch of dark.

Well, monsters can't/won't spawn on half-blocks, so if you have floors covered in slabs they won't appear on them. That's probably even less convenient than lightning though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

gravyflood posted:

I for one would love to see crazy-rear end patchwork endervillages.

Just replace the (useless) villagers with endermen. It seems easily enough and all you would have to do is make the villages look a little more ramshackled. The first time I saw a village that's what I thought it was anyway.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Narciss posted:

I know what Notch would call these patchwork structures... Enderigged :unsmigghh:

I wish I could evict these ENDERS who are renting out my apt. They have all of their ENDER friends over and make lots of noise. And listen to their ENDER music with the bass up really high. I sure hate ENDERMEN. /veiledracism

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ominous Jazz posted:

Just replace the (useless) villagers with endermen. It seems easily enough and all you would have to do is make the villages look a little more ramshackled. The first time I saw a village that's what I thought it was anyway.

Villagers have a purpose, though. Admittedly, that purpose is to be entombed alive in little pitch-black 3x1 brick bunkers and surrounded with red flowers and still water.

Seriously though it would make way more sense for endermen to live in and dismantle the villages than these stupid birdmen dudes. It would also add to the feeling of solitary exploration and survival you get if you're not playing multiplayer, as you'd go back to being the only "normal" person in the world.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fortis posted:

If the Endermen build structures they should be in The End. Shrines to the Enderdragon made out of dirt, wood, and sand.

I saw someone propose that they build structures using Cellular Automata rules that are set up to result in vaguely temple-like creations. Here. And here is a better example of generated temples and such. It's a neat idea.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 4, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Would be nice if monsters simply can't spawn within a certain distance of villages.

And when villagers actually do stuff and you can help them via quests and building structures or whatever, that radius expands so you can make a larger safe city or something.

Also I'd really like it if in the future, useful NPCs and be made to appear similar to how they do in terraria - if you build something that meets a certain requirement of accommodations for them.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I saw someone propose that they build structures using Cellular Automata rules that are set up to result in vaguely temple-like creations. Here. And here is a better example of generated temples and such. It's a neat idea.

This is an absolutely excellent idea. Not sure I agree with the "their own type of block" but there should definitely be a special block seed crystal at the center that's special and you can take/do stuff with.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I'm sure ancient Indonesians were cool but they sure built some lame temples.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MikeJF posted:

There already is a mod that adds structures based on cellular automata to the game world, the CARuin Mod. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/171188-v10formivores-mods-city-wall-road-generators/

Having constructive Endermen seems entirely possible.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Schwarzwald posted:

There already is a mod that adds structures based on cellular automata to the game world, the CARuin Mod. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/171188-v10formivores-mods-city-wall-road-generators/

Having constructive Endermen seems entirely possible.

Are there any smp servers that use the walled cities mod? Having a server that takes place only inside of a giant 1000/2000/4000x whatever city with randomly seeded shop npcs would be absolutely amazing. Urbancraft or something

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
And now this thread is making me want to build a Mayan pyramid, for some reason.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ancient temples aside, I just noticed something dumb that's still in 1.0, and that is the fact that you have to use a pickaxe to collect blocks from wooden half-blocks, pressure plates, etc. Using an axe takes the same amount of time as using your hand and doesn't yield anything. This has been a bug since the very day wooden half-blocks, stairs, and pressure plates were put in the game and it still hasn't been fixed. :geno:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

CJacobs posted:

Ancient temples aside, I just noticed something dumb that's still in 1.0, and that is the fact that you have to use a pickaxe to collect blocks from wooden half-blocks, pressure plates, etc. Using an axe takes the same amount of time as using your hand and doesn't yield anything. This has been a bug since the very day wooden half-blocks, stairs, and pressure plates were put in the game and it still hasn't been fixed. :geno:

Notch had the brilliant idea of making them simple retextures of stone stairs, even though wood acts differently than stone in general.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

Notch had the brilliant idea of making them simple retextures of stone stairs, even though wood acts differently than stone in general.

Or, more accurately, Minecraft associates the material with the block ID, not the (block ID, block metadata) tuple.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The thing is that it's the same thing Jeb used for wool applied to a block that should not use it. For wool, it's okay because everything sharing the material properties/block ID are the same thing, but with stairs and half blocks, they're made of different materials, so the material of the first one (stone) does not work for the material of the second one (wood), which wrecks natural progression because it is the only wooden object that the Axe does not speed up the mining of.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
I don't see why, apart from lazy programming, block/item IDs need to be such a limiting factor in the game (and modding). After all, Java is an Object-Oriented programming language. Using classes would tidy things up nicely, and using something like a linked list would get rid of the limited block ID problem.

But I suppose that's the way Notch programmed it from the start, and changing things like that this far into development can be a pain in the arse. Still, I hope that's what Jeb's working on doing, because adding in a mod API to the current mess would make things even more horrendous.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Isn't there already an ID extender mod out there that makes it so you can have practically infinite Block IDs anyway or something?

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

CJacobs posted:

Isn't there already an ID extender mod out there that makes it so you can have practically infinite Block IDs anyway or something?

People find ways to do it, but if there's going to be a modding API then that kind of thing will have to be in the base game.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I swear, this game has the most ridiculous bugs.

You know how when you sit in a minecart while wearing armored leggings and then look at your inventory screen, your legs appear sitting but your armor is still "standing?" Well, it's been fixed!

Oh wait, totally kidding. Looks like enchanted leggings are just bugged to be always "sitting."

How does this even happen? I'm going to take a wild guess and say that sometime back in the day Notch coded the sitting/standing states of the leggings to use some field of metadata, and then forgot it existed, so sitting armor never worked. Later on, he uses the same goddamn field to act as the enchant toggle, and now we have enchantment, but it's still the goddamn animation toggle, so normal leggings = always standing, enchanted leggings = always sitting.

Jeb has his work cut out for him.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Boat posted:

Help, I'm turning into a spider!

Panzerfaust
Jul 8, 2006

Just when you think that there's nobody around to kill you, BOOM, remote controlled Panzerfaust outta nowhere.
I started playing Minecraft again recently after putting it down for a while, and I've finally found a world that I've actually been inclined to stick around in and develop. I spawned in a hilly tundra and made my house on the closest hill to spawn. I soon discovered that in the area surrounding my house were a number of truly epic cave systems, including multiple ravines both above and below ground. When I say epic I mean I spent literally hours wandering through them, laying torches, and didn't find a single abandoned mineshaft the whole time somehow. There was a village a few minutes' walk away, and I pillaged their wheat to create a small cow/sheep farm.

I ended up trekking through the Nether and, after one aborted portal exit into an underwater ravine (which quickly filled with sand and water), I ended up coming out right in an underwater dungeon literally a half-dozen blocks from land, now a forested biome with mountains about a half-day to a day's walk from my house. I built a floating base and went exploring, quickly locating more massive caves which lead into a huge underground chasm with lava scattered around. I eventually got pissed off after being blown up by a creeper while in the middle of swapping my damaged armor for fresh armor, then getting killed three more times, every time by a creeper in a lit area, on the way down to retrieve my stuff (which was gone when I got there). At least I finally found evidence of mineshafts, though they were floating in mid-air in an underground ravine.

Now I'm way down in the depths of the earth in another seemingly endless cavern, located somewhere shortly to the south-east of my original base, wondering when I'm going to find my way out of it. I'm incredibly glad that I ended up sticking with this world, because it is just god drat amazing so far. If anyone's interested, the seed is -2308084037815006207. It wasn't random by the way, I think I got it from the Minecraft forums as a 1.7 or 1.8 seed that I plugged into 1.0.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Can someone link me to that mod which lets you make worlds thousands of blocks tall? I'm sure it's been posted here before.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Endermen are basically a poo poo idea in the current implementation. Notch saw partial sense at one point and nerfed the block displacement but now all we have are stupid mobs that will gradually erode the environment around your house/farm/castle/penis statue and just make it look a bit messy and poo poo. It's a behaviour that's pointless, stupid, not scary and of no gameplay value whatsoever. It's just soil erosion. GG :thumbsup:

As someone mentioned, it's a much better idea if they just built small, creepy structures like shrines and totems around the place, and for that matter I think they should build them out of materials that they just conjure up magically (so it doesn't erode your environment). Bonus points if the material is some wierd block that the player couldn't aquire anywhere else, and has a use of some sort.

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

As someone mentioned, it's a much better idea if they just built small, creepy structures like shrines and totems around the place, and for that matter I think they should build them out of materials that they just conjure up magically (so it doesn't erode your environment). Bonus points if the material is some wierd block that the player couldn't aquire anywhere else, and has a use of some sort.

It'd be great too if they only made their presence known after you played a some number of hours or collected a certain amount of materials.

This could be done for NPC villages too; you'd start off the game on your own, build your house or castle or whatever, and once you ventured outside your immediate surroundings, you'd notice villages or small towns. NPCs might ask you to do quests in return for rare items or access to their stores of materials. You could have the game so that it would allow you other ways to acquire these items, but the items would be rare enough that it would be worthwhile actually accepting the quests instead of digging around for them. That way, the people who just want to build things could go about their own business and ignore the villagers, while the other players could feel like they're part of a narrative that doesn't simply consist of a poorly-implemented boss fight.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I've been having zombie problems! Please bring me 10 rotten flesh. I'll give you this bucket of water if you help me out!

How else do you imagine quests to work, out of interest? In minecraft you basically a) build stuff and b) collect stuff, so quests would have to be based around that. I mean, it'd be awesome if you got a flock of birdmen coming to you and saying, for example, "hey dude we're all retarded and built our town here in the middle of a desert full of zombies, skeletons, spiders and exploding dicks, mind helping us throw up some fortifications?". How could the game possibly decide that you've fortified the town enough, though?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was screwing around in creative mode, and found an End portal. I accidentally broke one of the blocks of the portal, and now I can't replace it. What block is it and why can't I find it in the list of blocks/items?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 1, 2014

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Penguingo posted:

How could the game possibly decide that you've fortified the town enough, though?

After a certain amount of time a horde of mobs could spawn a certain radius from the town. The mobs would be programmed to specifically seek out that town and to prefer to target townspeople.

If any NPCs are left by daybreak, then you've fortified the town well enough.

Dwayne Bensey posted:

You could have the game so that it would allow you other ways to acquire these items, but the items would be rare enough that it would be worthwhile actually accepting the quests instead of digging around for them.

I would definitely do some quests for lapis. I started building with then before I realized how rare it actually was, so my house-decoration is only half-finished.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 4, 2011

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I don't see why, apart from lazy programming, block/item IDs need to be such a limiting factor in the game (and modding). After all, Java is an Object-Oriented programming language. Using classes would tidy things up nicely, and using something like a linked list would get rid of the limited block ID problem.

But I suppose that's the way Notch programmed it from the start, and changing things like that this far into development can be a pain in the arse. Still, I hope that's what Jeb's working on doing, because adding in a mod API to the current mess would make things even more horrendous.

The way you design programs goes to poo poo for games. Especially when there is a ton of data like there is in Minecraft. I work with a game engine designed this year that does not allow virtual functions or regular c pointers to be used (the data must be as small as possible and mobile in memory). The big difference is in the API: we have a very good event and handle system that makes those things unnecessary.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

After a certain amount of time a horde of mobs could spawn a certain radius from the town. The mobs would be programmed to specifically seek out that town and to prefer to target townspeople.

If any NPCs are left by daybreak, then you've fortified the town well enough.
If you just had to encircle the town with a 2 block wall and wait for sunrise that would be kind of bullshit I think. What I'm imagining is more of a tower defense scenario. Maybe the mobs spawn in waves around the town with pathfinding to to lead them to their objective (maybe a specific building or NPC), with creepers that will target barriers to entry (ie the wall) if there is no path into town. This way you'd have to make build chokepoints into your defenses and actually kill the mobs. Require the mobs all be dead as a victory condition.

Honestly I wish there was more of this in general. The mobs spawning outside my base at night should be singlemindedly focused on breaking into my base to eat me, and bases should require defenses and boobytraps instead of just a wall with a door in it.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 4, 2011

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I think it would be cool if Endermen were more dangerous and spawned in groups, but limited their terrain-scrambling to a small area around their spawn. They would spawn rarely in the world, but continue to do so in the same spot every night until you kill them. During the day, you'd just see a bunch of disorganized blocks and think "I better steer clear of here at night..."

Big Meat Eater 2003
Oct 2, 2009

by I Ozma Myself
Is there any really great survival maps?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Big Meat Eater 2003 posted:

Is there any really great survival maps?

There's a few (near) infinite maps.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
If Joseph needs anything for his dream coat, I can probably help.
(still under expansion)

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
After all this time, there's finally a somewhat reliable way to get a lot of brown wool.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
It says in the Minecraft wiki that animals no longer de-spawn. Is that even if you leave the area completely and come back?

I had some cows despawn mysteriously, but I was running Mo' Creatures (which I promptly uninstalled after a giant ran over and smashed my house and somehow destroyed the items in my chest for no reason).

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

PalmTreeFun posted:

After all this time, there's finally a somewhat reliable way to get a lot of brown wool.

"Somewhat" in that you still have to find enough dungeons to get two cocoa beans?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

redmercer posted:

"Somewhat" in that you still have to find enough dungeons to get two cocoa beans?

Sheep with brown wool randomly spawn sometimes.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

redmercer posted:

Also I got enough beans to make a whole stack of cookies from looting an abandoned mine. There are quite a few chests throughout those, and seem to contain the beans often enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Locus posted:

Is that even if you leave the area completely and come back?
Yes.