Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I just got to the chapter A Visit From Verin Sedai in The Gathering Storm. I don't know if Jordan or Sanderson wrote it, but oh my god. Easily one of my favorite scenes in the entire series, and Verin's death and Egwene's last words to her was one of the few moments in this series that really had an emotional effect on me.

And it makes it so much more fun on your next reread to try and catch all the foreshadowing of the reveal and that character's actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

fordan posted:

And it makes it so much more fun on your next reread to try and catch all the foreshadowing of the reveal and that character's actions.

My younger brother pointed out that Verin lied in the second book. He said: "She said that Moiraine told her to go with Rand and them to hunt the Horn, but Moiraine contradicted that later."

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

fordan posted:

It really does. I'm (slowly, as I have time) doing my first re-read since that happened in preparation for A Memory of Light, and I love noticing things I missed in each new read-through.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

It must be weird at first that the characters are all absolutely different. You hardly notice as the series goes on since it happens organically over the course of 13 books, but looking back, all of them have changed enormously.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
In a word, yes. Seeing Mat pre-Band is just plain bizarre.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

It must be weird at first that the characters are all absolutely different. You hardly notice as the series goes on since it happens organically over the course of 13 books, but looking back, all of them have changed enormously.
Same thing with TV shows. I love watching something like, say, How I Met Your Mother from season 1 or 2. The characters are all so different, it's fascinating.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Kreeblah posted:

In a word, yes. Seeing Mat pre-Band is just plain bizarre.

Seeing Mat pre-dagger is bizarre. He's a complete dick and not in the fun way that he is after being healed by the Aes Sedai.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So I just finished book 1 of Mistborn, and can't for the life of me push myself into book 2. Kelsier just left such a giant void in the story for me.

Should I just grit my teeth and get through it? Does it pick up to the same level of awesome?

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Should I just grit my teeth and get through it? Does it pick up to the same level of awesome?

Every book of Mistborn dials it up about 20 more notches.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

So I just finished book 1 of Mistborn, and can't for the life of me push myself into book 2. Kelsier just left such a giant void in the story for me.

Yes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's even more awesome. And Alloy of Law owns pretty hard too.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Streebs posted:

Seeing Mat pre-dagger is bizarre. He's a complete dick and not in the fun way that he is after being healed by the Aes Sedai.

Really? I remember him being kind of an rear end but in the lovable town prankster kind of way.

Anyway, I just finished The Gathering Storm for the first time. Best book of the series so far, hands down. Unlike a lot of the other books, I never had a moment where I didn't think the scene I was reading was necessary; the writing was at least at the same level as the rest of the series, and I think Sanderson improved on Jordan's prose quite a bit; and god drat, that ending. All of the books (apart from CoT, obviously) have stellar endings, but this one takes the cake. "A Visit from Verin Sedai," the Seanchan attack on the Tower and Egwene owning face, Rand's scene on Dragonmount. Everything was perfect. Can't wait to read Towers of Midnight.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I just finished Way of Kings, in audiobook format. Holy.. poo poo. What an amazing book. Sanderson is an insanely entertaining and talented writer. Is this his best writing? Mistborn has always sounded like an amateur teenage read, totally unfounded I realise. However, I was blown away by Stormlight and now I'm curious. Of course i love his contribution to WoT, so with those two considerations, is anything else he has done been equal or above these two amazing pieces of prose?

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I just finished Way of Kings, in audiobook format. Holy.. poo poo. What an amazing book. Sanderson is an insanely entertaining and talented writer. Is this his best writing? Mistborn has always sounded like an amateur teenage read, totally unfounded I realise. However, I was blown away by Stormlight and now I'm curious. Of course i love his contribution to WoT, so with those two considerations, is anything else he has done been equal or above these two amazing pieces of prose?

So far I found that Sanderson gets progressively better with each book. I havent read his WoT books yet, but I was definately surprised at how much I enjoied Alloy of Law.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Aside from his wot books and Stormlight, I've read Mistborn and Elantris, he definitely improves as he goes along and Stormlight is significantly better than Mistborn (any of the three books) just like Mistborn is better than Elantris.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Skapegoat posted:

So far I found that Sanderson gets progressively better with each book. I havent read his WoT books yet, but I was definately surprised at how much I enjoied Alloy of Law.

Have you read the rest of WoT? Because as I posted above, I just finished Gathering Storm and it is, in my opinion, solidly the best in the series.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
How do you think it compares to The Shadow Rising?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Blind Melon posted:

How do you think it compares to The Shadow Rising?

God, it's been so long since I read book 4. I started the series about a year and a half ago and have been reading other books in between WoT books. I remember liking it a lot, particularly the ending in Rhuidean with Asmodean. However, there was also a lot of boring poo poo with Faile and Perrin in the Ways, despite how interesting the Ways are.
(I'm not sure I needed to spoiler the second part, but did just to be safe.)

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

God, it's been so long since I read book 4. I started the series about a year and a half ago and have been reading other books in between WoT books. I remember liking it a lot, particularly the ending in Rhuidean with Asmodean. However, there was also a lot of boring poo poo with Faile and Perrin in the Ways, despite how interesting the Ways are.
(I'm not sure I needed to spoiler the second part, but did just to be safe.)

Unless it's something pertaining to the next book you don't have to spoiler anything. Once that one comes out it will be spoiler material for a couple of months.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Have you read the rest of WoT? Because as I posted above, I just finished Gathering Storm and it is, in my opinion, solidly the best in the series.

TGS is a unique case though. Parts of it were indeed written by Robert Jordan, and others outlined or partly written, aside from the world and characters being his. While WoT had a very rough patch around book 9 or 10 (I forget which ones now), the last few were improving greatly in quality before Sanderson stepped in.

I also think you're exaggerating just a bit.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I admit it has been a while since I read the first few books in the series. I've read the latter half over the past year (book six almost exactly 12 months ago). Books 8-10 dragged a lot. Path of Daggers (8) wasn't too bad, but was generally slower. Winter's Heart was pretty boring except for the ending, which might be the best ending in the series (so far; haven't read 13 yet). Crossroads of Twilight (10) is unbelievably boring, except maybe some of the Mat parts. Knife of Dreams (11) is indeed tons better than any of the previous three books, and apart from the improvement is very enjoyable in its own right. Maybe it has just been too long since I read the pre-slump books, but even compared to Knife of Dreams, Gathering Storm was just incredible.

I do wish I knew how much of that was Robert Jordan getting it together because he knew he didn't have long left and how much was Sanderson's work.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Sanderson is without a doubt dramatically better at writing Wheel of Time books than Jordan was. It's night and day.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Jordan needed a good editor, and Sanderson's co-authorship seems to be doing the trick. Also, Sanderson toned down Jordan's tendency to overuse character tics and turns of phrase, though I still noticed it (especially Cadsuane's incessantly saying "Phaw!").

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I've run out of Sanderson to read now, and so now I'm contemplating forcing myself through the four Jordan WoT books that I haven't read to get to his. Just so I can read more. :(

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

It's worth it. 7-9 aren't bad, they just don't have a terribly large amount of plot development for the most part. 10 is awful; if you're not a completionist like I am, I heartily recommend reading a plot summary and just going to Knife of Dreams.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Just read plot summaries of the ones you missed before Sanderson's.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

knife of Dreams is worth reading, as is whatever the one is before Path of Daggers. The ones in between there... yeah you can get by with plot summaries or maybe just read the lass chapter of Winter's Heart too because it's pretty good but that's all that happens in the book.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

The ending of Winter's Heart is goddamn incredible. After how plodding the book was until Far Madding, it blew me away.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, I remember when it came out I split the cost with a friend, he got to read it first, I got keep it. He basically said to just skip to the end, and he was right.

God that book was like 900 pages of women antiquing then 50 pages of awesome.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I can summarise Crossroads in about three sentences:

Everyone reacts to the events at the end of Winter's Heart, Mat and Tuon bond a bit, Egwene loses some neurons and gets captured.

Pretty sure nothing else of note happens in the slightest.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah. The most important event in the book is that Rand falls off his horse. But even that is sort of off-screen because it happens when he uses the One Power and then faints.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

gninjagnome posted:

Not sure if anyone is following Sanderson on Facebook, but I'm getting a kick out of the fact that, when he's traveling, he signs the copies of his books in airport terminal bookstores. I'd totally do that if I was an author.

This is officially called BrandalizingTM.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I skipped straight from A Crown of Swords to Knife of Dreams (stopping along the way to read the last chapter of WH), and I didn't feel like I really missed anything or had trouble getting reconnected to the plot. You should read KoD before you start the Sanderson books, though - it's the book where Jordan officially got his poo poo together and started to move the plot again.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

soru posted:

Sanderson is without a doubt dramatically better at writing Wheel of Time books than Jordan was. It's night and day.
Actually it's mostly just that Jordan left too many plot threads hanging and died right after he started tying them together in KoD. Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight are good because they resolved so many things. On the technical side of the writing Sanderson is better in that there's less skirt straightening and braid tugging, but he's worse in that his vocabulary isn't as consistent as Jordan's and he uses some ananchronisms.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

soru posted:

Jordan was honestly a way better writer up to around book 6 when the story completely spiraled out of his control and turned into an absolute slog. Sanderson isn't as skilled at writing in Jordan's purposefully slightly archaic style, his battle scenes tend toward being fuckawesome (i mean that in the most derogatory sense possible) and videogamey as opposed to Jordan's more visceral style, and it just feels much flatter.

I think people have an exaggerated opinion of Sanderson's writing as compared to Jordan's because he's giving us what we want more then better writing or characterization: plot progression and an ending.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

SmugDogMillionaire posted:

Jordan was honestly a way better writer up to around book 6 when the story completely spiraled out of his control and turned into an absolute slog. Sanderson isn't as skilled at writing in Jordan's purposefully slightly archaic style, his battle scenes tend toward being fuckawesome (i mean that in the most derogatory sense possible) and videogamey as opposed to Jordan's more visceral style, and it just feels much flatter.

I think people have an exaggerated opinion of Sanderson's writing as compared to Jordan's because he's giving us what we want more then better writing or characterization: plot progression and an ending.

That's true. That's why I didn't say Sanderson is a better writer, just that he's better at writing Wheel of Time books. He produces a better result than Jordan has in 20 years, and the reason has nothing to do with being a better writer and everything to do with how he handles plot. There's an immediate feeling of movement that no WoT book since The Shadow Rising had.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I finished Alloy of Law this evening and was rudely interrupted during the Avalanche by dinner. I was interesting to see the tricks that could be done by a skilled allomancer and feruchemist with his limitations. As was laid out in the first three books the allomancers learn the subtleties of their metals while full Mistborn only seem to scratch the surface of what each metal does.

I am looking forward to seeing what he does with the plot.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
For some reason, the first battle in Alloy of Law really sucked me in, I thought it was fantastic. The Avalanche™ seemed pretty meh to me.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

syphon posted:

For some reason, the first battle in Alloy of Law really sucked me in, I thought it was fantastic. The Avalanche™ seemed pretty meh to me.

Really? You didn't like the part where Wax collapsed the entire loving building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Alloy of Law didn't really have the Avalanche. It had some good moments, but the Avalanche is generally a cycle of Revelation > HOLY CRAP I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING > Character Reactions > Revelation > etc.... It builds upon itself, and instead of being one or two game-changing revelations, it's half a dozen or more.

Allow of Law was much more even-keeled than most of his other work. Still very enjoyable though.