Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

alg posted:

They are one of my faves but they always play really eccentric venues. I had a ticket to see them but it was at an all ages (no drinking) venue and it was in Chapel Hill on Halloween, meaning there would be nowhere to park.

I really want to see them but I think all the venues in Raleigh aren't low key enough.

Nightlight has a full bar, for future reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LtTennisBall posted:

They're worth getting into. I'd start with Castle Talk. Here's a song

I'm certainly interested in picking up their albums. I've just been trying to cut back on my spending lately.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

fozzie dunlop posted:

Oh, that makes sense. I initially thought it might have been an improvised 45 adapter at first, but as far as jury-rigged 45 adapters go a spring would be a pretty poor choice.

Also it's time for some Insound holiday vinyl deals!!
1) Buy yourself a turntable and get a $20 coupon for a free LP.
2) Buy any 10 of our top-selling records of 2011 and get 20% off your order, plus a free tote bag.
3) All domestic orders over $175 get free shipping this holiday season.

There are other deals on the site too like discounts on CDs, but I'm not going to post them because 1) this is the vinyl thread and 2) who the gently caress still buys CDs?

How long is this happening? I'm working lots of OT and am expecting a fat check next Friday.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I'm certainly interested in picking up their albums. I've just been trying to cut back on my spending lately.

Yeah, understandable. Odds are you'll see them by accident again anyway, they tour constantly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

Yeah, understandable. Odds are you'll see them by accident again anyway, they tour constantly.

It was a nice treat the first time because I'd never heard of them before. The worst thing about being a music fan is that there's always too goddamn much to buy. It's also the best thing.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Picked up this today in town for £7.99. Mint and never played. Discogs implies that this is quite loving rare and only got a UK pressing. Can anyone offer some insight? (Fantastic album by the way).

image hosting png

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

LtTennisBall posted:

Night Birds LP is AWESOME. I managed to get one of the early pre-order copies that comes with this screenprinted slipcover thing.

Stoked people are digging on the Night Birds LP. One of my favorite new bands of the past 5 years. That LP is amazing. Plus everyone needs to buy it so Alex can keep just running the label and not go back to having a real job.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

cheese eats mouse posted:

How long is this happening? I'm working lots of OT and am expecting a fat check next Friday.

No worries, it's on for all of December. Splurge away!

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

answersyouseek posted:

Stoked people are digging on the Night Birds LP. One of my favorite new bands of the past 5 years. That LP is amazing. Plus everyone needs to buy it so Alex can keep just running the label and not go back to having a real job.

Grave Mistake is a wonderful label. They put out Deep Sleep releases, who's lead singer runs the best record store in Baltimore/ever and is one of the nicest people I've ever met.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Brain F# is really good too :shobon:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
After watching Scott Pilgrim vs The World for a second time and doing a complete 180 about it, I got interested in looking for the soundtrack on vinyl.

Holy poo pooBALLS

What the gently caress happened there?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

After watching Scott Pilgrim vs The World for a second time and doing a complete 180 about it, I got interested in looking for the soundtrack on vinyl.

Holy poo pooBALLS

How did you not think that the first time around? All the Sex Bob-omb songs were written by Beck.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Holy poo pooBALLS

Limited + colored vinyl + awesome songs + hipster cred = Pay out the rear end.

Wasn't the vinyl a Record Store Day release? Maybe not. Maybe you're not even talking about the price.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 4, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Limited + colored vinyl + awesome songs + hipster cred = Pay out the rear end.

Wasn't the vinyl a Record Store Day release? Maybe not. Maybe you're not even talking about the price.

Yeah, definitely talking about the price. Jesus.

CPL593H posted:

How did you not think that the first time around? All the Sex Bob-omb songs were written by Beck.

I was a fool :negative:

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
That seems to be a common thing with modern soundtracks on vinyl. I know Inception got a super limited pressing and now commands high aftermarket prices. Same with the Into the Wild soundtrack from a few years ago and the Harold & Maude reissue that came out around the same time. Seems the exception to this trend are things like the Twilight and Watchmen soundtracks, but I'm assuming most of the people buying those don't even own a turntable*. The Brown Bunny soundtrack is also a little hard to come by because it was a bootleg release and I can tell you from firsthand experience that Vincent Gallo or someone working for him polices eBay to pull auctions for it whenever they go up.

*Fun fact: at a record industry convention a coworker asked the owner of Metal Blade Records something about vinyl and he expressed surprise at the fact that people actually played their records. I guess he figured he was in the "collectibles" business as far as vinyl goes, which I guess sort of explains their tendency to press stuff on lovely picture discs and some of their no-effort reissues.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
If I recall, the first pressing of the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack had some sort of manufacturing problem which meant a bunch of copies were pulled right before release. I'm not entirely sure if they sent replacements or what happened, but it resulted in a much more limited run that anticipated.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dancing Potato posted:

If I recall, the first pressing of the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack had some sort of manufacturing problem which meant a bunch of copies were pulled right before release. I'm not entirely sure if they sent replacements or what happened, but it resulted in a much more limited run that anticipated.

I was under the impression it had been a regualr release and not kind of a big deal. I've seen it around at normal retail. I was planning n picking it up when ever but I guess I have to act sooner.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 5, 2011

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Talking about soundtracks reminds me, my favorite soundtrack isn't on vinyl as far as I know. The Crow soundtrack not being on vinyl tortures me.

Track List

Cure, The – Burn
Machines Of Loving Grace – Golgotha Tenement Blues
Stone Temple Pilots – Big Empty
Nine Inch Nails – Dead Souls
Rage Against The Machine – Darkness
Violent Femmes – Color Me Once
Rollins Band – Ghostrider
Helmet (2) – Milktoast
Pantera – The Badge
For Love Not Lisa – Slip Slide Melting
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult – After The Flesh
Jesus And Mary Chain, The – Snakedriver
Medicine (2) – Time Baby III
Jane Siberry – It Can't Rain All The Time

Some of these songs aren't available on vinyl at all, and I think some might not even be on any other CDs.

Any other normal cd releases that you guys would stomp puppies for that wasn't issued on vinyl? The temporary death of vinyl is the worst thing about the 90s.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The theme song from The Green Slime has never been released as a single on any format and it makes me irrationally angry. Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF7RH76EpB4&feature=g-vrec

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Huh? The youtube shows the picture sleeve of the original 45 single. Pretty sure Farts Domino owns a copy.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Holy poo pooBALLS

I'm pretty sure they have a copy of that at Rasputin in sf. I've made a note to check the price next time I'm there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

Huh? The youtube shows the picture sleeve of the original 45 single. Pretty sure Farts Domino owns a copy.

I can't believe I missed that. Although it's the same art they used for the movie poster. But anyway, I've previously not found any reference to this anywhere online outside that image. So who knows if it was actually produced or released.

Farts Domino, if you can confirm this exists this is something I'd delighted to be wrong about.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 5, 2011

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

Was my holy grail for a looong time. Only record I've ever paid over $100 for by a longshot, don't think I've ever even done $50. 45 version actually has a bridge that wasn't in the movie or some of the youtube versions. Flipside is a snooze though

edit: non-picture-sleeve version is on ebay for relatively inexpensive
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mod-fuzz-psych-GREEN-SLIME-sci-fi-HEAR-/230712606930?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item35b78b00d2

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 5, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Farts Domino posted:

Was my holy grail for a looong time. Only record I've ever paid over $100 for by a longshot, don't think I've ever even done $50. 45 version actually has a bridge that wasn't in the movie or some of the youtube versions. Flipside is a snooze though

edit: non-picture-sleeve version is on ebay for relatively inexpensive
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mod-fuzz-psych-GREEN-SLIME-sci-fi-HEAR-/230712606930?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item35b78b00d2

If I had to venture a guess I'd say that's probably going to sell for much more than I can pay seeing as the opening bid is 25 dollars. But at the very least I'm glad to know this actually exists so I can try and track one down eventually.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

CPL593H posted:

If I had to venture a guess I'd say that's probably going to sell for much more than I can pay seeing as the opening bid is 25 dollars. But at the very least I'm glad to know this actually exists so I can try and track one down eventually.
I seem to remember bidding on one without the picture sleeve that went for ~$60. And obviously you should only snipe it if you're thinking about it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Farts Domino posted:

I seem to remember bidding on one without the picture sleeve that went for ~$60. And obviously you should only snipe it if you're thinking about it

That's a lot more reasonable. It would be cool to have the sleeve, but I love the song so much that I could easily live without it. If you don't mind saying, how much did yours cost (and on that note what should I expect tp pay)?

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Does anyone here have a copy of You're A Woman, I'm a Machine by Death From Above 1979 they would be willing to sell? I have been looking for this for years and don't really wanna pay some ridiculous price. If anyone has a record store near them that they know has it, please please please get it for me and I will give you monies.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

CPL593H posted:

That's a lot more reasonable. It would be cool to have the sleeve, but I love the song so much that I could easily live without it. If you don't mind saying, how much did yours cost (and on that note what should I expect tp pay)?
I can't remember exactly, I thought it was about $120, but looking at popsike the recent picture sleeve ones were $150. And looking at popsike I'm guessing you're looking at anywhere between $50 to $80

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Harry Privates posted:

Does anyone here have a copy of You're A Woman, I'm a Machine by Death From Above 1979 they would be willing to sell? I have been looking for this for years and don't really wanna pay some ridiculous price. If anyone has a record store near them that they know has it, please please please get it for me and I will give you monies.

I posted this a year ago I think, no response.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Farts Domino posted:

I can't remember exactly, I thought it was about $120, but looking at popsike the recent picture sleeve ones were $150. And looking at popsike I'm guessing you're looking at anywhere between $50 to $80

Thanks. I appreciate all your input on this. And now the hunt begins.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I posted this a year ago I think, no response.

I take it you still don't have a copy?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Harry Privates posted:

I take it you still don't have a copy?

I wish I did :( Since they got back together to play Cochella and may go on tour, I'm honestly just hoping at this point for a repress.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I'm pretty sure they have a copy of that at Rasputin in sf. I've made a note to check the price next time I'm there.

If they have an extra copy for a reasonable price I will shower you with gifts (actually, paypal you money) if you get it for me :D

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Holy poo pooBALLS

Makes me wish I would have picked one up when I saw it at my local record store.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I think a record store in Salt Lake has a copy, but it may very well be gone by now. I didn't pick it up since I have the CD, but I'll definitely grab it if it's still there this weekend.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I don't even care about its strange and ludicrous resale value, I just want to rock out to some Sex Bob-omb :(

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If they have an extra copy for a reasonable price I will shower you with gifts (actually, paypal you money) if you get it for me :D

I work 4 blocks from there and never have anything to do on my lunch break. I'll check when I'm there. Do you have a price ceiling?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I work 4 blocks from there and never have anything to do on my lunch break. I'll check when I'm there. Do you have a price ceiling?

50 bucks would be my limit.

It only had a US release so the chance of it ever appearing here in Europe is zilch. So I don't mind paying extra for it. :)

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

50 bucks would be my limit.

It only had a US release so the chance of it ever appearing here in Europe is zilch. So I don't mind paying extra for it. :)

Some enterprising goon must have snagged it. I swear it was there the last couple of times I was there. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Some enterprising goon must have snagged it. I swear it was there the last couple of times I was there. Sorry to get your hopes up.

No problem man, thanks a lot for checking it out for me :)