Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Fortis posted:

If the Endermen build structures they should be in The End. Shrines to the Enderdragon made out of dirt, wood, and sand.

This would actually be pretty cool. You go in, and see patchwork villages made of poo poo they've taken from the normal world.

It would be hard to program and probably add more to Minecraft's already heavy performance costs, but would be a neat touch. And you could take blocks from their world in a weird sort of role reversal, maybe your skin could become an enderman's. Then Notch's "Duality between the player and the game" speech might have some bearing, but probably still not (I didn't actually read the 8-minute speech so I don't really know what it's about except it is some wannabe-Matrix poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I tossed in the YogBox to go back to Minecraft, since I really enjoyed it in 1. ...7? I threw the Dynamic Height to full and uh...

What the gently caress, lake. :psyduck: (The land around the lake is maybe 30 blocks high at most.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 5, 2011

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Minecraft has run out of memory.

Since the new update, I've seen this message every four minutes of playing, and I am forced to restart. What can I do?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Magikoopa189 posted:

Minecraft has run out of memory.

Since the new update, I've seen this message every four minutes of playing, and I am forced to restart. What can I do?
You could just use the spoutcraft client. I got tired of memory poo poo and now I never crash. Also, it's got a bunch of neato options.

Edit: http://dev.bukkit.org/client-mods/spoutcraft/ for client

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 5, 2011

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm trying to transplant my mountain and very dense forest into a new world in a snow biome. How can I get the ground covered in snow without deleting all the trees? I made it so dense you literally cannot see the sun from inside it.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Travic posted:

I'm trying to transplant my mountain and very dense forest into a new world in a snow biome. How can I get the ground covered in snow without deleting all the trees? I made it so dense you literally cannot see the sun from inside it.

I'm guessing that the easiest way would be to use a program that can separate out by block type, then just transplant the land, let the snow settle, and then transplant the trees.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
In other words, MCEdit. Export a selection as a schematic, import it into a different world, presto.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Travic posted:

Snowmen! Build a shitload of snowmen and they leave tracks of snow wherever they go.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Got it. MCEdit + Worldedit = Amazing.

Now on to smooth out the landscape edges.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Travic posted:

Got it. MCEdit + Worldedit = Amazing.

Now on to smooth out the landscape edges.

MCEdit has a feature to do this automatically. :ssh:

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

baby puzzle posted:

The way you design programs goes to poo poo for games. Especially when there is a ton of data like there is in Minecraft. I work with a game engine designed this year that does not allow virtual functions or regular c pointers to be used (the data must be as small as possible and mobile in memory). The big difference is in the API: we have a very good event and handle system that makes those things unnecessary.

I've programmed a game where I could put in (theoretically) unlimited block types. Though with the amount of data that Minecraft works with, I can see it being a problem with access times or save file sizes. Though there's ways to optimise things like that, and saying that I can see why it might not have been done already. Notch isn't known for his optimisation skills (and I can empathise with that).

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Optimization is by far one of the most boring things you can do with anything computer-related unless it's automatic. You spend so much time doing something with the only result being a faster program/level/game/whatever. Which is a good result, but not all that exciting.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

PalmTreeFun posted:

Optimization is by far one of the most boring things you can do with anything computer-related unless it's automatic. You spend so much time doing something with the only result being a faster program/level/game/whatever. Which is a good result, but not all that exciting.

Yeah, super boring, but: tens of millions of dollars.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK SPECIAL NOTICE :wooper:

CLICK THAT LINK FOR ADDITIONAL DETAILS
(I cleared all this with the mods first.)

Welcome everyone, to the special once-in-a-lifetime Painterly Pack special edition telethon! What's going on? What's happened? Glad you asked!

For those who've been following (which is probably not a ton of people, but I digress), my personal situation has recently gone to poo poo over the last couple months, losing my home and as a result, my job, having to move cross-country, buy a new (used) car, and just for good measure spent some time hospitalized, because that's how my luck goes. Several grand in the hole later, I've managed to get my life back on track while still doing the painterly thing, but I've still got a long way to go, too. Not one to dwell on the negative, however, there's a lot of good news too - Painterly itself is in need of some celeberation - as we've just hit FIVE MILLION downloads! I wanted to hopefully try to do something a little fun and exciting for the big "5 Million" event, that will, with any luck, simultaenously help me to get back on my feet. I'm not asking for blind donations here, this is not a request for money for nothing - I'll be working for your support!

Do you like Painterly, but wish you could have that ONE SPECIAL texture? Is it perfect, except for that one, crazy specific thing you thought would never see? Well now, you can have it all! From now until the 16th of December (or until the donation grid fills up), if you make a donation to Painterly, depending on how much you donate, you can request custom (PG-rated please) textures of, well, anything in minecraft you want or need within certain guidelines. Click the link at the top of the post for details, rates, and to see what other people have already bid on!

From 6pm EST, Thurs Dec 15th until 6pm EST, Fri Dec 16th, I'll be doing a live streaming interactive event, where I will get as many of those textures made as I can, live, on stream, while I answer questions, share stories, and run contests for fun and prizes (including a few alpha copies of Minecraft, steam games, and anything else I can scrounge up)! We're going to have special guests as well, including a visit from the perennial goon favourites the YOGSCAST, storytime with Kakermix of Technic Pack fame, and a special celebrity guest appearance by none other than Vin Diesel (may or may not actually be Vin Diesel). After the stream, I'll finish up any textures we didn't have time for, and then everything will be added to the customizer as a permanent addition to Painterly.

Any help and support is appreciated, and I'm happy to answer any questions you have, here or via email. Spread the word, and even if you can't donate, I'd love to see as many goons as possible at the telethon itself, as you guys continue to make this all worth doing, which I've said in the past so many times I think I sound like a broken record, but it's true.

Thank you all, and hope to see you there. :)

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Woah woah what? What the gently caress happened kas?

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

It's a bit complicated, but it's not really on topic for minecraft itself, and I don't want to derail the thread, so if you want to bug me on IRC, I'd be happy to fill you in on the basics there.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not having any idea what's going on, but I wish you the best of luck! :shobon:

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
I think you deserve a little bit back from ~the community~, kas. Are you ending the texture requests when the grid on your website is full?

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Captain Zeroth posted:

I think you deserve a little bit back from ~the community~, kas. Are you ending the texture requests when the grid on your website is full?

I'll still be doing textures moving forward, but the general plan is if by some miracle the grid fills, I'll end donations there (I'm just trying to recoup some fraction of my losses, it's not meant to be some profit-making thing) and work on getting those promised and paid for textures done, and then probably go back to my old stance of 'if I think it's really cool and I'll have time I will maybe possibly throw it in for free, but no guarantees'.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
It's really great to hear that your spirits are still high despite all the legit roughness you've had to go through. I hope everything is resolving wonderfully for you Kas. Thank you for all the time and dedication you've given the Minecraft community. I hope they pay it back in kind.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

It says that you're willing to do a new player skin, but I don't see any player skins available for download on your website. Would player skins be available for download or would we have to somehow contact you personally after the fact to get the skin?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ChewyLSB posted:

I think people have been criticizing Notch for not finishing what he started and making promises that he doesn't follow through on for a long time, even before the Yogscast fiasco

Can someone link me to this?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SlayVus posted:

Can someone link me to this?

45 pages of Minecon chatter, for your kind perusal.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Willie Trombone posted:

It says that you're willing to do a new player skin, but I don't see any player skins available for download on your website. Would player skins be available for download or would we have to somehow contact you personally after the fact to get the skin?

I'd add them as an option should someone get one. :)

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Oh wow, good luck! Would grass fall under $10 or would it count as multiple tiles with the side textures?

vvv: Oops, sorry, sure thing. :)

Clockwork Cupcake fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 5, 2011

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Oh wow, good luck! Would grass fall under $10 or would it count as multiple tiles with the side textures?

Please, if you have questions about textures or bidding, ask in IRC or email, since I promised Zorak I wouldn't clutter up the thread with it. But that said, I'm sure we could work something out, please drop me a line. :)

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Good luck kas! Considering the circumstances, I'm super-impressed that you got the new Painterly out as quickly as you did, and that you've remained so dedicated to it. Thanks for all the excellent textures you've provided, and I hope for the best for you. :)

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Hey, I have a quandary that you guys might be able to help solve. I want to put up my Minecraft server, but I don't want to do it with a 1.0.0 map. I want to use a huge, pregenned 1.7.3 map.

Does anyone know the best way to facilitate this for someone that is pretty non-technical?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saeka posted:

Hey, I have a quandary that you guys might be able to help solve. I want to put up my Minecraft server, but I don't want to do it with a 1.0.0 map. I want to use a huge, pregenned 1.7.3 map.

Does anyone know the best way to facilitate this for someone that is pretty non-technical?

Put the 1.7.3 save in the right folder for the 1.0 server.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Install Gentoo posted:

Put the 1.7.3 save in the right folder for the 1.0 server.

I guess I wasn't specific enough. I was wondering if there were a program/easy to run script that I could use to force 1.7 to pregenerate a map that is a few thousand blocks in diameter. I don't want my players reaching the end of the map and start generating new terrain.

1.0.0's terrain generation is terrible, but I like the features. 1.7.3's terrain is awesome, but lacking in the cool poo poo department.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kas posted:

I'll still be doing textures moving forward, but the general plan is if by some miracle the grid fills, I'll end donations there (I'm just trying to recoup some fraction of my losses, it's not meant to be some profit-making thing) and work on getting those promised and paid for textures done, and then probably go back to my old stance of 'if I think it's really cool and I'll have time I will maybe possibly throw it in for free, but no guarantees'.

Oh, you shouldn't be so modest about it! At least get us to pay ALL your bills! As it is, I'm pretty confident that the entire grid will fill up, and probably much sooner than you think.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Woot! Support the arts, kids.

Unrelatedly, I've further explored some of the new bugs (or at least newly-discovered bugs) in 1.0.0:

-A line of redstone that connects diagonally through a piston will power that piston only if the top piece continues past that diagonal connection in the same direction (going either higher, lower, or at the same level) and only if that top piece of redstone isn't connected to any other directions. (This is probably just an old bug that no one ever noticed.)

-An extended piston that loses power and then regains power within the same game update step might not actually retract, even if it is directly updated in that same game update step by its power source. (This is dependent on HashSet behavior and isn't new to 1.0.0, but hasn't been reported by anyone else as far as I can tell.)

-A sticky piston which experiences the above situation but is forced to update before it regains power by something adjacent to it updating may now drop the block that is attached to it, even if the loss of power comes after the piston is fully extended. (This is dependent on HashSet behavior and is definitely new to 1.0.0.)

-For pistons which do experience either of the above two problems, it is possible that cycling the signal which produces them every three ticks will result in the problem not reproducing for any cycles following the first. (This is again HashSet dependent, but only dependent on the current maximum Hashset size somehow, and definitely new in 1.0.0.)

-Furthermore, that last bug can manifest independently for a device and its mirror image.

-A piston powered by a cycling signal which is on for one tick and off for half a tick each cycle is rendered unbreakable by hand and by tools. (This is new to 1.0.0 as 1.8.1 required a piston be powered by a 0.5-tick repeating signal in order to be rendered similarly unbreakable.)

Or if you want to see all of that in video form, look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j01cYWNpEXU

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 5, 2011

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:
Just to add a little to the kas-love; he has the CRAZIEST stories. You seriously can't make up the kind of poo poo that's happened to that guy.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Saeka posted:

1.0.0's terrain generation is terrible, but I like the features. 1.7.3's terrain is awesome, but lacking in the cool poo poo department.

Well since you're genning in 1.7.3, the map's going to be missing any of the features that you like in 1.0.0. No strongholds, no abandoned mines, no swamps, no vines, no lily pads, no mushroom islands. Also your biomes will be totally skewed when running on a 1.0.0 server, so be prepared for just about anywhere to randomly get snow/rain regardless of whether it's a desert or what-have-you.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Are they ever gonna fix monsters and animals ghosting through fences and walls before snapping back into their enclosure? They also seem to climb like ivy to the highest point on the wall before stuttering back to ground. I feel like I have a farm full of phasing animals.

Also terrain gen in 1.0 is really awful compared to 1.8. Caves seem a lot more fractured and there are just random chunks missing underneath hills and tons of semi-floating debris lying around. Also there are a lot of 1x1 holes that lead to huge expansive cave networks, instead of proper entrances to them.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

PalmTreeFun posted:

MCEdit has a feature to do this automatically. :ssh:

Teach me sensei!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Found my first stronghold today, and I have to say it's pretty cool.

It'd be a lot cooler if it weren't torn up by intersecting with an abandoned mineshaft and an underground ravine, though. :v: At least it didn't wreck my Ender Gate.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
OH GOD DRAGONS

The aftermath

Lord Wilson of Wilson SMP in PGS booted up our old 1.8 world and smashed us to bits with the legions of Nether baddies. I didn't catch it with a snapshot, but it sure is something to be hiding in a tower from ghasts and seeing that BOSS bar appear and turning to just see the dragon's face as it comes blasting through your tower

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

messagemode1 posted:

Also terrain gen in 1.0 is really awful compared to 1.8.

I can't get over how boring maps are now. I was wandering far from my home in a new map last night, and started making my way back. I headed into a forest because I knew there was one near my cave, and halfway through the forest I started having doubts, because I remembered that every forest looks literally exactly the same as every other one. Luckily, it was the right one.

I want old map generation back, at least as an optional thing. I don't even like ravines that much -- they are so random and often really out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Oggumogoggum posted:

I want old map generation back, at least as an optional thing. I don't even like ravines that much -- they are so random and often really out of place.

Ravines feel way too common. I don't know what kind of world Minecraft is supposed to take place on but it seems like you find a ravine every 200 blocks.