Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
craggs is pretty good and daulerio is a shithead so on the balance this can only improve deadspin when you're at the bottom there's nowhere to go but up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I might go from "Never read Deadspin" to "Occasionally reads Deadspin" so yeah that's an upgrade :v:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
New York's numbah one in action, boys and girls.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I laughed a lot harder at the ridiculously long pause at the end, before I realized they just paused the DVR :(

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Transfatuation posted:

I laughed a lot harder at the ridiculously long pause at the end, before I realized they just paused the DVR :(

If it really had been a pause, it would not make the top 100 list of Mike Francesa's greatest dead air pauses. So it was still okay to laugh at it - it was a decent simulation of what actually happens weekday afternoons on WFAN.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
One of this mornings sportscenters aired a piece by Buster Olney on the front office situation of the Red Sox. In the piece he quoted an unnamed team executive comparing the Sox front office situation to the battle for Gaza. Does anyone know where I could find a video of that?

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

dokomoy posted:

One of this mornings sportscenters aired a piece by Buster Olney on the front office situation of the Red Sox. In the piece he quoted an unnamed team executive comparing the Sox front office situation to the battle for Gaza.
Theo Epstein bombed everything and then pulled out, and now everybody's slowly starving to death?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you really want to have a nice shitshow mideast analogy beirut during the civil war is still a vastly superior clusterfuck

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I think the guy Olney was quoting was trying to say the fight for power in the Red Sox front office was like the the fight between Hamas and Fatah. Which kind of makes sense but is still loving moronic.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
and if it isn't the so-called Red Sox. What can I say about your team that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan: bombed out and depleted.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dokomoy posted:

I think the guy Olney was quoting was trying to say the fight for power in the Red Sox front office was like the the fight between Hamas and Fatah. Which kind of makes sense but is still loving moronic.

in the long run it doesn't matter who's running gaza because the israelisyankees will just clean house?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
A dodgers blog wrote this one and I have to share it, it's too good not to

quote:

Screw Hiroki Kuroda

I hope that Hiroki Kuroda signs with the Colorado Rockies, mostly because he is a worthless piece of crap who has the brains of a snail. Other than that, I think he’s a wonderful idiot! Hiroki loved the Dodgers so much that he refused a traded to a team (BoSox) where he might have won a World Series (and cost the Dodgers a really nice pick) because he only wanted to play major league baseball for his beloved Dodgers. Now, since the Dodgers have signed Chris Capuano, and he sees that he is not in the Dodgers plans (he said he wasn’t sure he wanted to play in America in 2012), he now wants to be a HO and sign with whoever pays him.

Screw you Hiroki, you worthless piece of crap. You swine. You vulgar little maggot. You worthless bag of filth. As they say in Texas, you couldn’t pour water out of a boot with instructions printed on the heel. You are a canker, an open wound. I would rather kiss a lawyer than be seen with you. You took your last vacation in the Islets of Langerhans.

You’re a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a cad, and a weasel. I take that back; you are a festering pustule on a weasel’s rump. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.

I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformity. I barf at the very thought of you. You have all the appeal of a paper cut. Lepers avoid you. You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a fungus, the dregs of this earth. You are a technicolor yawn. And did I mention that you smell?

You are a squeaking rat, a mistake of nature and a heavy-metal bagpipe player. You were not born. You were hatched into an unwilling world that rejects the likes of you. You didn’t crawl out of a normal egg, either, but rather a mutant maggot egg rejected by an evil scientistas being below his low standards. Your alleged parents abandoned you at birth and then died of shame in recognition of what they had done to an unsuspecting world. They were a bit late, and we are weary of your ilk.

Hiroki, you could have accepted a trade and got the Dodgers a nice prospect, maybe won a World Series and then came back in 2012, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you stupid moronic savage!

Oh, Good Luck. I hope to see you in Colorado where we can beat what few brains you have out!
But, I’m not bitter!

And, while we are talking about not being bitter, the Dodgers can sign a wife-beating, PED using, traveling secretary-beating, dumbass named Manny, who is back on the market…

This was written by a 40-year-old man.

A WALKING VOMIT

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jon Heyman is a birther

If albert pujols wants to beat $200M 9-yr cardinals offer, he should produce birth certificate. skepticism abounds over 31 claim

:ughh:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Albert Pujols' birth certificate - good enough for the US government post-9/11, not good enough for sports writers.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
John Steigerwald with another gem:

quote:

From the 2005-2006 through 2009-2010 seasons, Alexander Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals averaged 55 goals per season. He scored 65 in 2007-2008. In his first 24 games this season, he had eight. That puts him on pace for about 28 goals.
Last season he had 32.

He managed one shot on goal against the Penguins Thursday night.

What's wrong with this guy?

There are whispers and maybe even some out-loud conversations around the hockey world about Ovechkin's problem being a lack of artificial help.

In other words, performance-enhancing drugs.
:stare:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The Steig owning bitches yet again.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
So apparently steroids help you get shots on goal

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

The caps did have that investigation regarding someone tangentially related to the team and steroids a couple years back, coinciding with Ovechkin's slide :tinfoil:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I can't say for sure what it's all about what the source of the rumor is, but I've heard stuff about Ovechkin and steroids from other Pens fans/writers.

e: vvv Sorry, was unclear.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 5, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

"this guy is on my heated rival and is good but is now having a bad year better muckrake as much as possible" is what that's all aboot as we say in the hocky

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Steigy is a piece of poo poo homer and his partner sucks rear end too. The team is set-up to be the best team in the league and exists only because of Mario's sweet tears over potentially losing his legacy. Meanwhile franchises are left to rot because they haven't been blessed with Tears of the Lemieux.

Ovechkin still owns. He's been Kovulchuked, reduced to a gimmick. Give this guy a real coach and not some fat guy in a suit and some better conditioning. Similiar thing happening to Stamkos (though he's still producing), coaches can't regulate these dynamic players to one-timing PP point dudes. Its easy and produces goals but its going to get shutdown and lead to them neglecting the rest of their game.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The broken bones posted:

A WALKING VOMIT

Did I miss some news on this or is this guy just :qq:ing because the reserve clause doesn't exist anymore?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Okposolypse posted:

Steigy is a piece of poo poo homer and his partner sucks rear end too. The team is set-up to be the best team in the league and exists only because of Mario's sweet tears over potentially losing his legacy. Meanwhile franchises are left to rot because they haven't been blessed with Tears of the Lemieux.

Wrong Steigerwald, buddy.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Mornacale posted:

Wrong Steigerwald, buddy.

Well, thats a rant wasted.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is there any issue which sportswriters have been more consistently wrong about than PEDs? It's not just idiots like Steigerwald that can't write coherently about the subject. See: basically everything written about Barry Bonds since 2001

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is there any issue which sportswriters have been more consistently wrong about than PEDs?

Sports

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
momentum

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Clutch as a repeatable skill

edit: Sports psychology in general

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

anything to do with probability and stochasticity at all

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's kind of too tough on them since their job is basically to create narratives but like stop making them so stupid

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's kind of too tough on them since their job is basically to create narratives but like stop making them so stupid

that their job is "to create narratives" is in itself a problem with journalism, not an excuse

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Zeeman posted:

So apparently steroids help you get shots on goal

I know jack about hockey and that was the first loving thing I thought. What an idiot.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Dusseldorf posted:

Did I miss some news on this or is this guy just :qq:ing because the reserve clause doesn't exist anymore?

he feels Kuroda betrayed the Dodgers even though the dodgers basically can't afford him.

he started claiming it was a joke, but then it was clear if he wasn't serious, he at least meant some of the stuff in there.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I know jack about hockey and that was the first loving thing I thought. What an idiot.

Honestly, I'll defend that. Unlike baseball, where the effect of steroids is pretty questionable, it's fairly certain that steroids can help make someone a stronger, faster skater; this would increase a player's chance to get open, and hence get shots on goal.

That said, the allegation itself is retarded and who gives a gently caress anyway?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

The broken bones posted:

A WALKING VOMIT

Where was this posted? I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around the fact that someone got payed to write this poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mornacale posted:

Honestly, I'll defend that. Unlike baseball, where the effect of steroids is pretty questionable, it's fairly certain that steroids can help make someone a stronger, faster skater; this would increase a player's chance to get open, and hence get shots on goal.

That said, the allegation itself is retarded and who gives a gently caress anyway?

the effect is gonna be marginal though

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Medical Sword posted:

that their job is "to create narratives" is in itself a problem with journalism, not an excuse

I have no problem with sportswriters creating narratives. Some people do it really well and can tell a really good story (see: JoePos most of the time). However, the majority of them use concepts that they pulled out of their rear end like he's gritty, a winner, plays the game the right way, etc. and that's just where it gets awful.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i think the difference is that posnanski typically searches for the narrative within the story, which is what you should do, versus lots of two bit assholes who apply a narrative to the story

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Roids would help a lot for specific players and if Laraque is to be believed, its common place. I'd assume its common place more within the goons. Actual players need more lean muscle, being bulky (especially in today's speed game) doesn't help. It would help with recovery times though.

If anyone is a steroid suspect is DiPietro who put on as poo poo load of bulky muscle in a single offseason then proceeded to have every joint in from the hip down deteriorate despite being a fitness/workout freak and a natural multi-sport athlete.

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

dokomoy posted:

Where was this posted? I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around the fact that someone got payed to write this poo poo.

It was a blog post, I am almost positive this guy was not paid anything to write that.

Give him credit, though -- I was laughing quite a bit at his paragraphs of somewhat-interesting insults, even if it was surreal to read that entire thing. He's competely wrong, of course, but B+ for effort!