Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Oraculum Animi posted:

There's some sorta nasty chewing noises that makes the commercial kinda gross to hear.

I hate the new World of Warcraft commercial. This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV397Ov-w4s (not the Chuck Norris one). I don't think this is going to bring people in if they see a selfish and shallow person throw away a relationship for a game.

But she's an attractive young woman! Who plays WoW! That means there are girls on the internet, and that I have a chacne of meeting one through Wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SpacePig posted:

But she's an attractive young woman! Who plays WoW! That means there are girls on the internet, and that I have a chacne of meeting one through Wow!

And this one is single! So if you play your cards right, guys, you might actually have a chance of meeting and loving her! She's going to lay there like a dead fish the whole time, judging by her vibrant performance in the ad, but it still counts.

Though it is probably the most honest portrayal of the "fun" you have in WoW once you reach endgame that I've seen out of Blizzard. Really, if the ad were four seconds longer it could be a public service announcement. "Don't let videogames ruin your social life. This message brought to you by the American Videogame Addiction Center and the Ad Council."

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Combo posted:

I keep seeing that Verizon commercial with the couple on a date, and the guy keeps checking his phone to get updates on the game while she's trying to talk.

Is it me or is it the same woman that was in the "Centipedes? In my vagina?" photoshop thing a while back?

Trying to find a video on youtube but not pulling up anything, maybe it isn't verizon.

edit: oh I was wrong, it was AT&T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqxcrVOS47s

TV girl has a wider face, and a mole on right cheek.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ElectricSheep posted:

Also lots younger and possibly not even black. Looks Latina to me in skin tone and her mouth, chin, cheeks.

Also, better stop the trash-talk of Aubrey Plaza ITT or I'm going to let slip the dogs of the P&R thread.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The brother and sister in that Folgers coffee commercial just need to go ahead and screw because they sure are throwing around some "gently caress-me" signals.

"You're my present..." yeah he is.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's a line to be drawn somewhere, though. An architect couldn't copyright a skyscraper and demand a cut of all photos of a city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_Tower#Image_copyright_claims

:france:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wagonburner posted:

Also lots younger and possibly not even black. Looks Latina to me in skin tone and her mouth, chin, cheeks.

Also, better stop the trash-talk of Aubrey Plaza ITT or I'm going to let slip the dogs of the P&R thread.

Objectively it is not the best add, but Plaza helps the material quite a bit.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

enigmahfc posted:

The brother and sister in that Folgers coffee commercial just need to go ahead and screw because they sure are throwing around some "gently caress-me" signals.

Wait, that's the one you guys are talking about? Jeez, she's like 14, how can you read that as sexual?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's a line to be drawn somewhere, though. An architect couldn't copyright a skyscraper and demand a cut of all photos of a city.

That's the line actually. Architecture is not protected in those circumstances, in the United States.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Che Delilas posted:

And this one is single! So if you play your cards right, guys, you might actually have a chance of meeting and loving her! She's going to lay there like a dead fish the whole time, judging by her vibrant performance in the ad, but it still counts.

Though it is probably the most honest portrayal of the "fun" you have in WoW once you reach endgame that I've seen out of Blizzard. Really, if the ad were four seconds longer it could be a public service announcement. "Don't let videogames ruin your social life. This message brought to you by the American Videogame Addiction Center and the Ad Council."

Yeah, I still can't figure out why Blizzard thought it was a good idea to advertise their game by emphasizing one of the most negative aspects of its reputation.

"You too can meet this hot single girl on WoW who obviously has serious problems! Spend your whole relationship being neglected for raid nights until she inevitably dumps you for the game just like the last guy!"

At least the Chuck Norris ad tries to make it look cool and fun. This one makes it look like the game sucked out her soul.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I just saw a commercial for the True Blood box set and was honestly surprised when it turned out to be trying to sell the show instead of talking about how awful it is. The way that girl describes it is just makes it sound so terrible.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Oraculum Animi posted:

There's some sorta nasty chewing noises that makes the commercial kinda gross to hear.

I hate the new World of Warcraft commercial. This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV397Ov-w4s (not the Chuck Norris one). I don't think this is going to bring people in if they see a selfish and shallow person throw away a relationship for a game.

Who cares about WOW, she is so hot:unsmith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheHan posted:

I just saw a commercial for the True Blood box set and was honestly surprised when it turned out to be trying to sell the show instead of talking about how awful it is. The way that girl describes it is just makes it sound so terrible.

I've always looked at True Blood as one of those shows that is just so over-the-top bad (in the campy sense) that you can't help but love it. I haven't seen that spot though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DJExile posted:

I've always looked at True Blood as one of those shows that is just so over-the-top bad (in the campy sense) that you can't help but love it. I haven't seen that spot though.

I saw half an episode once, one dude was like a werecollie for some reason.

I miss the days when vampire media was about killing vampires. :sigh:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DJExile posted:

I think this is the ad he's talking about.

This is pretty much how I've always felt about True Blood. It's campy as hell, but that's kind of what makes it fun to watch. I like it, but even I'll admit it's pretty much trashy TV based on trashier novels.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Actually that's pretty drat funny. Granted it seems to be targeted only at fans of the show to give the DVDs as gifts, not so much in the "hey new viewer, here's our show! go watch it" sense.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

NaturalLow posted:

Yeah, I still can't figure out why Blizzard thought it was a good idea to advertise their game by emphasizing one of the most negative aspects of its reputation.

"You too can meet this hot single girl on WoW who obviously has serious problems! Spend your whole relationship being neglected for raid nights until she inevitably dumps you for the game just like the last guy!"

At least the Chuck Norris ad tries to make it look cool and fun. This one makes it look like the game sucked out her soul.
She's from the Scott Pilgrim character, playing vaguely the same type of character. Except instead of loud, cursing, violent hipster, she's just quiet, uncaring, monotone hipster.

They're trying to appeal to Hipsters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Flameingblack posted:

She's from the Scott Pilgrim character, playing vaguely the same type of character. Except instead of loud, cursing, violent hipster, she's just quiet, uncaring, monotone hipster.

They're trying to appeal to Hipsters.

She's playing her character in Parks and Recreation more than anything else.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Edit: fffff wrong thread.

Also, I dated a girl years ago who was so much like P&R Aubrey Plaza in so many ways it's kind of unreal looking back at it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

bull3964 posted:

She's playing her character in Parks and Recreation more than anything else.

As much as I like Aubrey Plaza, the only discernable difference between April and Julie is that one swears a whole lot and wears glasses. This character is no different from either of them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw half an episode once, one dude was like a werecollie for some reason.

I miss the days when vampire media was about killing vampires. :sigh:

You know something's gone horribly wrong with vampires when Anne Rice looks like high art.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ElectricSheep posted:

Yeah I was thinking makeup to cover up the mole and age/a bit of weight gain for the face.

I'm absolutely awful at comparing one person to another, just seeing her in that commercial (probably mostly the hair) for some reason made me remember the photoshop.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

How about an ad I love?

Tide- Super Chill

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DJExile posted:

Actually that's pretty drat funny. Granted it seems to be targeted only at fans of the show to give the DVDs as gifts, not so much in the "hey new viewer, here's our show! go watch it" sense.

To me the funny part is that aside from blurring the lines between story arcs a bit, the commercial didn't really exaggerate or alter any of the actual characters/events from the plot of the show. Definitely not a commercial for people who haven't already seen at least some of this poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

How about an ad I love?

Tide- Super Chill

ahahaha that is fantastic

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

enigmahfc posted:

Is it the really incestuous one they were airing last year too? We had the exact same discussion before.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Anyone seen this perfume ad with Charlize Theron? The long version's here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/dior-jadore-charlize-theron-ad_n_950364.html The digital Marilyn Monroe creation is creepy as poo poo when it starts talking, looks like someone is wearing her face as a latex mask.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

XyrlocShammypants posted:

How about an ad I love?

Tide- Super Chill

This is a very good holiday commercial.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Anyone seen this perfume ad with Charlize Theron? The long version's here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/dior-jadore-charlize-theron-ad_n_950364.html The digital Marilyn Monroe creation is creepy as poo poo when it starts talking, looks like someone is wearing her face as a latex mask.

I'm more annoyed that they're putting Charlize Theron in the same class as Grace Kelly and Marlene Dietrich.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

NaturalLow posted:

Try and fail, because they are about five years too late in trying to cash in on those terribly unfunny Chuck Norris facts.

The joke in Plaza's commercial stems from the fact her boyfriend thought it was a good idea to buy her a seven-year old game for her birthday.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've already had enough of this McDonalds commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGqQLWqo48c

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Already been covered in the thread, but I really hate the World of Warcraft ad with Chuck Norris. Not only for the terrible meme that stole from this site, but because the fact the new X-Box 360 dashboard has that poo poo ad playing in the corner (thankfully with no sound).

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Rirse posted:

Already been covered in the thread, but I really hate the World of Warcraft ad with Chuck Norris. Not only for the terrible meme that stole from this site, but because the fact the new X-Box 360 dashboard has that poo poo ad playing in the corner (thankfully with no sound).

Wait, they somehow found a way to cram MORE ads into the dash? I haven't updated yet, but god drat... I guess Blizzard/Activision thinks they've roped in just about every possible person who knows the meme by now and US going after the same crowd that has never heard of WoW.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rirse posted:

Jesus, another reason I'm glad I use Playstation. It has very small, text only ads, in the upper right corner that are very easy to ignore.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SamBishop posted:

Wait, they somehow found a way to cram MORE ads into the dash? I haven't updated yet, but god drat... I guess Blizzard/Activision thinks they've roped in just about every possible person who knows the meme by now and US going after the same crowd that has never heard of WoW.

To be fair, it the same amount of ads as before, it just they are not longer in three pages of crap (which you always default to).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Congrats go to OnStar for being the first "You'll get loving killed if you don't use our product!" company of the holiday season!

If you listen to radio at all you have heard them. One of some guy calling them because he got his car stolen. OK, fair enough.

Then another of HELP ME I'M ONLY SEVEN YEARS OLD MOMMY IS DRIVING THE WRONG WAY AND CLOSING HER EYES I DON'T WANNA DIE (I guess she went into diabetic shock or something)

I get the appeal behind OnStar but jesus christ do you really need to put a terrified screaming kid's phone call on the air?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's a blatant scare tactic and it works so I'm sure someone in their marketing department was really happy the day they got that audio.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's pretty much the same tactic home security companies use. "Get ADT or robbers will break in and terrify your wife and kids!"

Edit: Also, is a 7 year old going to be sitting in the front seat and also know how to use Onstar?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Jesus, another reason I'm glad I use Playstation. It has very small, text only ads, in the upper right corner that are very easy to ignore.

Until you open the store. The PSN store is full of them. Most are for things available from it and the 360's ads are no different.

The new dashboard isn't too bad. The ads are fairly unobtrusive for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

There's nothing inherently bad about the commercial itself I guess, but I'm getting really sick of the Humana (I think? It's definitely some health insurance company) commercials that run almost as long as an actual TV show. They're like mini-infomercials and every time you think they're over, they just keep on going.

Plus when I change the channel while I wait for it to go off, the same drat insurance commercial is usually running on the OTHER channel too.