Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
Not normally a fan of Fender basses, lookswise, but I love that photo. That bass has character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

Just got these this month.

'64 Silvertone 1448, the old amp in case model minus the case :(. Sounds amazing.

1956 Harmony Stella Sundale, can't get a better pic just yet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've never seen a guitar with a beard before

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Not sure if this is the right place or not and apologies for the fairly crappy pictures but this is what a couple of friends and myself have been assembling over the past couple of months. Finally done and stress tested.

The tops have a 12" midbass in each to drive from 100hz up and the melded piezo arrays take over from 4k hz upwards. The subs have a 12" driver in each and their output is hilarious considering the typically weedy size of said driver, they put 18" subs to shame.

*edit: I nearly forgot the picture of the kit making it all sing

Top to bottom:
Behringer DEQ 2496 Digital EQ/RTA
Behringer DCX 2496 Digital crossover/delay
Free Peavey amp which looks tiny yet weighs a quarter ton (great little amp considering it's only a 110w per channel)
£20 MOSFET amp to run the tops until I buy a new one
QSC GX5 to purely run the subs (one sub per side for now)

I have drivers for another pair of the subs (not that they're really required) because I demand ludicrous levels of bass as opposed to just stupid levels. The intention is to help give some local bands a bit of clout in their sound instead of the crappy install kit a lot of venues have, also so I can have some parties with friends.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 1, 2011

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

88h88 posted:

Not sure if this is the right place or not and apologies for the fairly crappy pictures but this is what a couple of friends and myself have been assembling over the past couple of months. Finally done and stress tested.

This is rad, how much did this run you in the end? Did you design the enclosure to match the driver? I've considered picking up some cheap old EV Eliminators for small gig duty but this is way more impressive.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I need some recommendations on a recording interface.

If you had $300 to spend on an interface, what would you get? Pretty firm on the budget. I'm leaning towards the Presonus FireStudio, but wanted to hear other suggestions as well.

I'm on a mac, have garageband, firewire and USB ports.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

the wizards beard posted:

This is rad, how much did this run you in the end? Did you design the enclosure to match the driver? I've considered picking up some cheap old EV Eliminators for small gig duty but this is way more impressive.

The speakers are Bill Fitzmaurice designs, horns. http://billfitzmaurice.net/ The subs are the Titan 39s (with premium driver) and the tops are Omnitop 12s (base level driver and melded array for wide angle dispersion) if you want to see.

I'm in the UK and I know for a fact the US has various outlet stores that sell off the tweeters and other assorted speaker bits for virtually nothing... 26cent tweeters? (this annoys me an awful lot!). How much it costs you depends on the various drivers you choose to use, the premium ones outputting more sound and being a bit more durable. I think the base level sub driver goes for about $60 over there and will still be very impressive sounding. The best bit about them is the fact they're horns and that they're really sensitive which means you're not spending out on huge amps to power them.

The entire setup as you see it there with the rack and speakers is currently about £1500 give or take (the eq, limiter and amp are a good £900 of this)... Either way you'll not find anything that touches these performance wise even 2nd hand for anywhere near the cash. If you have the capability to make these which is more time and ability to follow instructions then you're laughing.

If you're interested in how they perform I've got a few videos online you may be interested in. This hall was huge and they were hitting 109Db right down the back where the RTA mic was. They're wall loaded in most of the videos which extends the horn mouth which improves output but even just stood up in front of a stage they're very impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrQLm6C9ygQ&

The Excision & Skism track was whapping out at 116Db in that massive hall. Not bad for 4 12" drivers and some piezos!

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 1, 2011

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Scarf posted:

I need some recommendations on a recording interface.

If you had $300 to spend on an interface, what would you get? Pretty firm on the budget. I'm leaning towards the Presonus FireStudio, but wanted to hear other suggestions as well.

I'm on a mac, have garageband, firewire and USB ports.

There is a really good dedicated thread on just this subject.

In my own opinion, the Firestudio is probably a good buy. I used its predecessor for a few years and liked it. Reviews indicate that the new version is basically better in every way. Within your budget range, the thread seems to lean toward the Focusrite Saffire. They also have a new USB line out called the Scarlett series, which are pretty cheap and probably work/sound fine. Newer products are always a bit more of a risk though. The Firestudio and Saffire and both widely used and generally well regarded. One more option with a slightly different form factor is the TC Konnekt 6. Depending on your needs it may have better ergonomics. TC doesn't get many complaints about sound or build quality.

Between those three there's probably something that will work for you, but check out the thread anyway because it contains probably more information than you could ever want about the various pros and cons of current devices.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ferrous Wheel posted:

There is a really good dedicated thread on just this subject.

In my own opinion, the Firestudio is probably a good buy. I used its predecessor for a few years and liked it. Reviews indicate that the new version is basically better in every way. Within your budget range, the thread seems to lean toward the Focusrite Saffire. They also have a new USB line out called the Scarlett series, which are pretty cheap and probably work/sound fine. Newer products are always a bit more of a risk though. The Firestudio and Saffire and both widely used and generally well regarded. One more option with a slightly different form factor is the TC Konnekt 6. Depending on your needs it may have better ergonomics. TC doesn't get many complaints about sound or build quality.

Between those three there's probably something that will work for you, but check out the thread anyway because it contains probably more information than you could ever want about the various pros and cons of current devices.

Sweet, thanks for the info!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

88h88 posted:

The speakers are Bill Fitzmaurice designs, horns. http://billfitzmaurice.net/ The subs are the Titan 39s (with premium driver) and the tops are Omnitop 12s (base level driver and melded array for wide angle dispersion) if you want to see.

Cool, looks interesting. I'm in Ireland so cheap US gear isn't much help either :)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

88h88 posted:

How good are your carpentry skills? Everytime I read about Bill Fitzmaurice's designs, they mention that the most efficient and technologically advanced of his designs are for pretty experienced woodworkers. It looks like you went with slightly less difficult designs, but I wonder how accurate his 1-10 difficulty scale is.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

TyChan posted:

How good are your carpentry skills? Everytime I read about Bill Fitzmaurice's designs, they mention that the most efficient and technologically advanced of his designs are for pretty experienced woodworkers. It looks like you went with slightly less difficult designs, but I wonder how accurate his 1-10 difficulty scale is.

The best tops he's designed are the DR series, they're cheaper to make than the ones I have done but they just take longer to do. None of the designs are what I'd call difficult, they just take understanding of instructions and time to do. Difficulty is not so much how hard they are he says, rather how many steps are involved along the way. Internally the DRs are a mass of twists and turns, I'll hopefully get some made next spring as I have all of the plans.

The subs for example are a maze of panels internally, it's how they manage to put out such huge sound from smaller drivers. You can do things the hard way or you can follow the instructions and surprise yourself. The forum is very helpful of noob questions and there's loads of sticky threads with info in so there's no real reason you should become stuck at any point.

The last time I made anything was in school about 15 years ago and I wasn't exactly good back then... Check the pic of the pile of cabs, the bottom one isn't straight and the mouth braces are wonky but it still pounds hard. If you've a logical brain and follow step by step you're fine and ply is relatively cheap so screw ups don't cost a great deal to put right, the plans are laid out so even beginners can follow...

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 2, 2011

slapsack
Mar 3, 2006
Why are people so skeptical of things that are out of the ordinary? Instead of being open to POSSIBILITIES, most people just jump straight to the circle jerk so they can comfortably fit in. It's completely fair and understandable to say that there is

Scarf posted:

Sweet, thanks for the info!

You can't go wrong with anything, really. Music is all about trial and error. If you don't like the sound of what you got, just return it. If I could go back in time, I would have put less emphasis on finding the perfect setup and more emphasis on just doing, doing, doing. Not saying that has anything to do with you, just one more bit of advice you can read and either take or throw away :)

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Apologies in advance for how completely god awful my phone is at taking pictures, but I have way more important things to spend my money on, such as MORE GUITARS, than on some dumb :airquote: phone :airquote: that was :airquote: made in the last 5 years :airquote: that can take :airquote:decent looking pictures:airquote:

Anyway, on with the show! Christmas came early at the C.C.C.P. house! And by that I mean, I had extra money that I was too stupid to do something sensible with, so I spent it on more guitars and amps and whatnot. Jealous of my poor financial planning? You know you are. :smug::pipe:

First off, Squier loving owns, son. Gone are the days of Affinity Stratocasters that are made from cedar chips and held together with horse spit (okay, they still make those, too, but that's beside the point). These days, Squier pumps out some really quality-rear end gear that basically gives you a second, weirdly enough in-company option if you're considering buying a MIM Strat or Tele or something of that quality range.

And the stuff Squier makes is way more interesting than the "Standard Stratocaster", "SSH Stratocaster", "Standard Tele", "HH Tele", etc. stuff that plagues Fender's MIM line.

When it comes to Squier's stuff, you have two real options if you're shooting for the sort of bang-for-buck ratio that I'm referring to when I say "Squier loving owns, son". First: their "Classic Vibe" line that basically tries to (semi-)faithfully recreate past Fender models that may or may not be sold anymore but updated with stuff like AlNiCo 5 pickups and better hardware than one would likely find on the vintage models (or on Squiers past models for that matter); These include vintage-y spec'd stuff like 50's Stratocasters, early "Tele headstock" P-Basses, etc.

Oh, and Duo-Sonics. Like this one I bought:

Look at this weird loving thing. Okay, so we've got a 24" scale length, a 3 saddle bridge that is never in a million years going to intonate properly, two AlNiCo V pickups at rather non-standard positions (the bridge position is noticeably more towards the center, and it goes without saying that the neck pickup is obviously angled). And a metal pickguard! Neato!

It sounds REALLY GOOD. Quite warm and full-bodied. Very easy to play. The pickups are surprisingly lacking in the noise department, which is pretty rad. It's also ridonkulously lightweight which also makes it super comfortable to hold for long periods of time. It sounds great through a clean amp, and nasty as hellllllllllll (in a good way, of course!) through a fuzz pedal. Hardware owns, thing stays in tune amazingly.

Oh, also, I got it for 150 bucks at Best Buy. Because when I think awesome, cheap guitars, I think Best Buy. Even the music section dude who cashiered me was all "Thank you for finally buying that stupid thing" when I brought it up. Hell yeah, bro. Gotta make some more floor space for more dorky-rear end Ibanez RG's!

Anyway, guitar owns. **** out of ***** stars WOULD BUY AGAIN

Next, I headed over to Guitar Center. What? You think I'd let a little thing like "already getting a guitar" stop me? gently caress that noise. I got ca$h to spend. I'm going to turn this economy around all by my goddamn self!

No sooner do I step into GC, then I notice this bad boy for sale ON sale. 50 bucks off? Yes please!

Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster. I didn't mention yet, but Squier's other "good" line is the Vintage Modified series. This series takes older designs (Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Jaguar Bass, Jagmaster (because a guitar style that is 10 years old is clearly "Vintage"), standard Strat and Tele, etc) and modifies them.

This basically amounts to, poo poo, I dunno. I guess new pickups in the Strats and Teles? Strats and Teles bore me to tears so unless it's something totally out of left field, I generally don't even bother with them. Oh, actually, I'm looking at the models as I type this. I guess that, for example, they have a Tele that has a Mini-Humbucker (neck)/Single/Single config. That's kinda neat, I guess. Telecasters are a vintage style, having come out in the early 50's and that's definitely a non-standard pickup configuration, so there y'go, I guess!

Protip: the only design that is both "Vintage" and "Modified" enough to warrant the moniker is the Jazzmaster. Hardtail bridge (which is apparently compatible with Dan Electro bridges), Strat-style output jack ("Because 'gently caress it', that's why!"), :airquote:Duncan Designed:airquote: pickups that actually aren't as awful as that implies (they are actually pretty goddamn good!), maple fretboard, stacked volume/tone knobs, etc.

As far as how it sounds, it sounds like a Jazzmaster on steroids. I know purists might decry that as blasphemy, but rest assured I do have a regular ('93, MIJ) Jazzmaster for my non-"on steroids" needs, too. This just sounds so good for noisy poo poo, jangly stuff, it's just amazing. In the bridge position, the tone is really cutting, without being harsh. Switch to neck+bridge and it's super fat sounding. Just neck yields warm, full-bodied and super clear tone. It sounds like sex through my clean tube amp.

This guitar owns so hard I can't even possibly relate the exact extent to which it owns to you.

Actually, I can. With a story. A story that involves me getting my 3rd guitar in one day.

This one, to be specific:

A loving Fender Mustang.

So, I bought the VM Jazzmaster. I had band practice later that evening, so of course I brought it to play. The other guitarist in my band (to whom the Mustang originally belonged) asked to play the Jazzmaster and poo poo a loving brick once he did.

A "Dude, I will trade you my Mustang right here, right now for this guitar. Please. I must have it." "Okay, sure thing." later, and I am the proud owner of a MIJ Mustang that's been on the receiving end of some... ahem... mods, itself. Specifically, he had somehow converted the Mustang's notoriously awful tremolo into a hardtail. I've since looked. It shouldn't be too hard to convert back.

Also, if you can see from that tiny picture, the bridge pickup does not match the neck pickup. This is because the original Mustang died, so my friend decided to take the pickup out of his Fender Stratocaster and stick it in there. Oh, and did I mention that "the Strat pickup didn't sound Mustangy enough, so I tried to rewind it. I was drunk. Don't judge"? It sounds just as hilarious as you'd imagine a pickup rewound by an incredibly drunk man who didn't have much in the way of pickup winding skills would sound. It has... um... I guess "character" is a word that would describe it.

Still... Fender Mustang!

Oh, you thought that was the end of my story? That the Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster owns so much that a dude traded me his MIJ Fender Mustang for it? Nope, it's not quite over!

Long story short, after band practice, I went BACK to Guitar Center that very evening and bought ANOTHER VM Jazzmaster. Same color. Same everything. THAT is how much it owns. Heck, it was on sale and as much as I wanted a Mustang, I also objectively wanted to own this guitar. So, yeah, the guitar in the picture there isn't even the original one I bought!

Also, it is going to be loving PRICELESS to show up at our next practice with it. I bet he cries.

Oh, and while I was at Guitar Center getting my second Jazzmaster, I saw this poor little "Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree" of a bass. A Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Special bass. What's special about it? Well, it's not the short scale Jaguar bass, or the one with the MM-style humbucker in the bridge, or the super-premium model. Ergo, by virtue of not being special at all, it's special.

It's got some dings in the body and it apparently got curb-stomped or something at some point, because it's top-most tuning head got hosed up. You can still tune it with a quarter or other suitable coin, and a replacement is like 10 bucks on Guitar Fetish, so no biggie. Usually, this bass goes for I think 299ish? At any rate, it was on clearance AND scratch n' dent. For a whopping 100. Hell yes, player.

How good is it? So good that the following unfunny, fictional conversation occurred!

Me: Aw, it's a nice little bass. It just needs a little love, that's all! *plugs it into a Markbass combo, hits an open A note*

*the heavens open up, a choir of angels sings, God appears*

God: LO AND WITH THIS BASS, SHALL YE LAY WASTE TO MANY A NATION IN THY...

Me: That's cool and all, but I just want it to record with mainly.

God: WHAT SORT OF MUSIC DO YOU DO

Me: I dunno. It's kinda like Sonic Youth I guess. They're breaking up, you know.

God: NO poo poo? THAT IS WEAK I REALLY LIKED THE ETERNAL

Me: Can you even loving believe Pitchfork gave it a 6.8? I mean, it's no Daydream Nation...

God: RIGHT, BUT THEN, WHAT IS

Me: Exactly.

Duncan-Designed pickups again, again surprisingly great sounding. Oh, and it's got an active EQ which makes it sound really punchy. Really, I have no qualms with this bass at ALL other than the stuff I already knew about from the onset (broken tuner, etc.) It has taken over main recording duties from my Fender Jazz V.

And there you have it. To summarize, Squier owns, I'm bad with money, sorry for the unfunny me/God conversation, fart, goodnight.

C.C.C.P. fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 5, 2011

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As if that weren't enough, I then went out and bought one o' these:

An Ibanez TSA15H (afterwards referred to as the Ibanez Tube Screamer head because gently caress Ibanez's naming conventions). A 15-watt, all-tube head. Low wattage tube heads (played through a 212 cab) are all the rage in my local music scene. You can't throw a Jay Reatard album out your window in disgust without hitting a hipster who plays his Epiphone Dot/Gibson SG/"look how vintage I am" Teisco through either a Tiny Terror, a Night Train or some other "watts are for twats" tiny rear end tube head.

As for me, Orange is too goddamn expensive, Epiphone's stuff sounds like balls unless twice as much has been dumped into mods as you originally spent on the amp, Egnater sounds like some sort of "heart healthy" egg substitute (and here in the midwest, the term "Tweaker" does not conjure any sort of positive mental images) and as much as I love Vox, I will be GOD DAMNED if I play an amp who's name sounds like a Foghat b-side.

Poor attempts at comedy aside, I just really wanted a low-wattage tube head. And a Tube Scream pedal. And a 2x12 cab to run it through. And a pony. And a blowjob.

I got at least two of those 5 things in the Ibanez head, as it has an honest-to-God TS9 circuit built in, in leiu of a second channel. Huzzah! I enjoy killing as many birds as possible using as few stones as possible, so this was right up my alley!

It sounds great. The clean tone is very Fender-y. The Tube Screamer "channel" sounds like putting a Tube Screamer in front of a clean Fender amp. It also has somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 million speaker output jacks on the back, which basically allows you to use any speaker cabs of basically any ohms you want. It also has a handy 5w/15w switch for when you're too lazy to turn down the volume but not lazy enough to reach around the back and flip a switch that does the same thing.

Yes, I realize that the 5w option is to get tube breakup aka SICK TONE aka Dirt McGirt without peeling the paint off the walls. However, this amp is super clean and doesn't really breakup appreciably (without the Tube Screamer engaged, anyway). You literally have to dime the volume to get breakup, at which point, even 5 watts is PRETTY loving LOUD.

As for a speaker cab, I came home and searched Craigslist for any and all 2x12 speaker cabs. I found a cheap one (for 50 dollars), emailed the guy, and he got right back to me.

I met up with him, bought his (busted rear end, Peavey) cab. As I was leaving he goes 'The guy I got it from said he changed the speakers, not sure what he put in there. You can probably get the stock speakers if you look around online". Okay, thanks for the heads up, dude, though I admit to having trouble imagining what sort of trashy-rear end speakers STOCK PEAVEY SPEAKERS are going to be better than.

For added comedy, the guy was selling this because he bought a full stack and needed the room. A CRATE full stack. UGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Anyway, I take it home, set it and my TSIGOSO#939959TUBE SCREAMER HEAD up and begin playing.

It sounds... REALLY good. Way, way too good to attribute to a cheapish tube head and some junky Peavey speakers. So, I grab a screwdriver and open the back of the cab.

Celestion Vintage 30's. Sweet mother of gently caress. 250 dollars worth of speakers for 50 dollars. Score!

All in all, I am incredibly happy with the amp and absolutely beside myself over my luck with purchasing the speaker cab!

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009
So you bought 4 (3?) mediocre guitars instead of one good guitar?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

You made one (1!) lovely post instead of making zero posts?

At least CCCP knows what he/she likes. That's more than a lot of people can say.

Sweet score on the amp/speaker.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

How dreadful! posted:

So you bought 4 (3?) mediocre guitars instead of one good guitar?

I have an MIJ Jazzmaster (that I'm probably going to turn into a Jazzblaster by way of some original(!) Fender WRHBs I bought a while back), an MIA Strat (which is basically the pinnacle of "having a Stratocaster" and probably why I'm so bored with them and would never buy a Classic Vibe, Vintage Modified, MIM, etc. Strat), and a Gibson Les Paul (that I don't like or play at all because I hate the feel of Gibsons and I literally only keep around as potential trade fodder if something cool (i.e. a Jaguar) were to come along).

I'm pretty much over buying "good" guitars, wherein "good" means how much resale value they maintain. I'd rather buy something that I'll play and enjoy and that sounds good on recordings.

Also, I guess you missed the part where I traded a loving Squier for an MIJ Fender Mustang that is a bridge pickup, a tremolo arm and a tremolo spring (i.e. less than 50 dollars in parts) away from being worth like 700.

Here, lemme fix that for you and respond properly.

How dreadful! posted:

So you bought two guitars you really enjoy and will play a bunch, traded a Squier for a guitar worth 3 times as much and bought a bass that sounds really sweet on recordings?

Yes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CCCP, that haul is so good. Next guitar I get is totally going to be some sort of "so much weirdass character/people ask why the hell you have it" sort of thing.

Unless I get a bass. My band's bassist's head and cab sit here in my studio, ever so lonely...hm.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rotten Cookies posted:

You made one (1!) lovely post instead of making zero posts?

At least CCCP knows what he/she likes. That's more than a lot of people can say.

Sweet score on the amp/speaker.

She. And yeah, I just like stuff that sounds cool. My Duo Sonic sounds nothing like my American Strat and for the music I play (fuzzy, lo-fi noisy poo poo), it actually fits the bill better. Also worth noting is that I just simply don't buy guitars site unseen anymore. I wait until a store or a friend has one and I play it and decide if I do/don't want one, or I just don't buy it. I played all of these guitars for a good 10 or 15 minutes each. If they were total trash, I wouldn't have bought them.

Also, we aren't talking Squier Affinity Bullet Stratocasters or whatever nonsense here. This poo poo is at or slightly above MIM Fender quality. I've owned, jeez, probably 50+ guitars in my life including both Squier Affinity blah blah blah poopcasters and MIM Fenders (and, for that matter, obviously even more expensive stuff) and I can say from my reasonable amount of hands on experience that Squier Classic Vibe and Squier Vintage Modified instruments are roughly analogous to MIM Fenders. I simply wouldn't buy them if they were bullshit.

Don't get me wrong. Squier Affinities still suck. Squier Standards still suck slightly lesser than Affinities. I have no idea about any of their other products or if they even have other lines. Squier is still budget Fender and makes some awful instruments. But those two specific lines I mentioned have one of the best bang/buck ratios I've seen in recent memory and either blur the line of quality distinction between Fender's MIM series or slightly eclipse it.

And you can get some really neat, non-standard instruments, too. Most MIM Fender stuff is Strat or Tele variations for their 4-500 dollar range, and while you can get some MIM stuff like Classic Player Jazzmasters or whatever, those are more like 800 dollars and you're seriously on the cusp of "used MIJ or MIA stuff" at that point.

I think I'm mainly nostalgic for the early 2000's when Fender was making stuff like Cyclones and Toronados and stuff like that. Guitars like that were neat and unique to a point and were great buys for people who didn't want a Strat or a Tele but also didn't want to spend 1000 bucks. Fender stopped making that stuff and Squier has basically taken over the market. So, I bought a couple.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Allen Wren posted:

CCCP, that haul is so good. Next guitar I get is totally going to be some sort of "so much weirdass character/people ask why the hell you have it" sort of thing.

Unless I get a bass. My band's bassist's head and cab sit here in my studio, ever so lonely...hm.

If you are a Fender man, you should take a long, hard look at their new Modern Player series. I think they all go for $399 and if you're truly wanting to go the not-a-strat, not-a-tele route, they have a pretty sweet looking P90 equipped Jaguar and a... I don't even know what to call it. Weird Strat/Jazzmaster mashup. Apparently a re-release of a guitar they sorta released in the 60's?

Pictures of both:

I don't even know what the gently caress. Yes, that's a triple-coil pickup and a Jazzmaster pickup.

I have no idea what Fender's obsession is with trying to retcon the Jaguar into some HH, hardtail nightmare and as such will never ever own a Fender Jaguar HH no matter how many times they rerelease it or make a Squier-ized version of it, but I have to admit, that P90 Jag is loving CLASSY.

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009
Oh I see, you have three higher-shelf guitars, but you still feel the urge to dump money on babby's first guitar or Fender's equivalent of tourist traps. I didn't realize I had walked into the conspicuous consumption thread.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

C.C.C.P. posted:

...I can say from my reasonable amount of hands on experience that Squier Classic Vibe and Squier Vintage Modified instruments are roughly analogous to MIM Fenders. I simply wouldn't buy them if they were bullshit.

This is so true. Classic Vibe Teles and Strats are great instruments and drat near unbeatable in their price range. I haven't got much experience with the Vintage Modified series, but at least the 4 string jazz bass is an extremely solid bass.

Everyone should really try a Classic Vibe the next time they're at a guitar store. Seriously, they're very good for their price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFaWYSr6d_Y

Granted, Jack Thammarat can make anything sound good.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Planning on picking up a Red October Deville at the end of the month.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I was just going to ask you about the Marauder, CCCP, once you said Duo-Sonic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMHTiTucrns
Here's a good demo. I really like how it quacks at position 2. Sounds like a good strat.

My local Sam Ash called it a 'gimmick' and said there was no reason they'd have one in the store. I was a little gobsmacked. How can a Sam Ash not have a low-end Fender guitar? It's a big-rear end store, they have weirdness like both kinds of Nighthawks (Gibson and Epi) and so on... and they're not carrying a Fender? Course, they also called it a Squier.

Anyhow, what I was wondering is if you had a chance to mess with the neck on it. I'm going to buy it, but I want someone's response on the neck, it's the only thing I can't tell about without someone getting their hands on one.
The Marauder's ancestor guitar is really no relation to the current one. That was a weird hidden-pickup experiment they made like six of, all prototypes.

This is a 25.5 scale, and I don't know any Fender offsets that match it. It's wired like a HSS superstrat, if you treat the triplebucker as a S and H, it makes more sense.

Edit: Babby's first guitar, two fingers, one rear end in a top hat. All you need to rock.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 5, 2011

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Warcabbit posted:

This is a 25.5 scale, and I don't know any Fender offsets that match it.

Jazzmasters are 25.5" scale. Edit: Whoops, realized you were talking about the guitar as a whole, not just the scale length :downs:

The neck on the Marauder I played at my friends house seems pretty much like a standard C shape. It's not thick but it's not thin, sort of a medium profile. It felt nice in my hand.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 5, 2011

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011

Oh ya, I went there. Now only up to 10 weeks until I can actually play it. Sweet baby jesus let it come faster than a virgin me!

edit: stupid bracket was the wrong way.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You got your hands on one outside of a store, Side Effect? Do tell. I'm looking for something to replace my Partscaster in the stable. The number of different sounds it makes really intrigues me.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

How dreadful! posted:

Oh I see, you have three higher-shelf guitars, but you still feel the urge to dump money on babby's first guitar or Fender's equivalent of tourist traps. I didn't realize I had walked into the conspicuous consumption thread.

You're awful at trolling, but whatever, I like talking about guitars so this is me "totally falling for" your trolling.

I've owned 3 Gibsons, an SG and two Les Pauls and hated every single one of them. I bought them because I was younger and stupider and thought something must be wrong with me for not liking such a, supposedly, objectively "good" guitar.

Turns out, I just don't like Gibson-scale, humbucker equipped guitars and no amount of throwing money at the problem was going to make that go away. I like Fender guitars. I like the scale length, I like the pickups, I like how they play, I like the feel, the weight, etc. I've owned enough guitars to know what I like. I'm only keeping the Les Paul I *do* have until I find someone with a Jaguar or something to trade for it.

You wouldn't be throwing a poo poo fit if I'd went and got a couple MIM Fenders (or maybe you would, since you've now tried to pivot this into a consumerism diatribe) and, from experience, my new guitars are at or above MIM quality, sound unique, play well and I like them so pardon me if don't really feel bad at all for buying them despite how much forums user How dreadful! thinks I should.

I really do like that you're trying to turn this into a consumerism argument, though, on a forum where a bunch of people have more guitars than me and several people basically collect Rondo Music stuff. May I suggest that for your next insightful, informative post, you chastise me for not buying guitars made from sustainable materials and biodegradable plastics?

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Warcabbit posted:

I was just going to ask you about the Marauder, CCCP, once you said Duo-Sonic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMHTiTucrns
Here's a good demo. I really like how it quacks at position 2. Sounds like a good strat.

My local Sam Ash called it a 'gimmick' and said there was no reason they'd have one in the store. I was a little gobsmacked. How can a Sam Ash not have a low-end Fender guitar? It's a big-rear end store, they have weirdness like both kinds of Nighthawks (Gibson and Epi) and so on... and they're not carrying a Fender? Course, they also called it a Squier.

Anyhow, what I was wondering is if you had a chance to mess with the neck on it. I'm going to buy it, but I want someone's response on the neck, it's the only thing I can't tell about without someone getting their hands on one.
The Marauder's ancestor guitar is really no relation to the current one. That was a weird hidden-pickup experiment they made like six of, all prototypes.

This is a 25.5 scale, and I don't know any Fender offsets that match it. It's wired like a HSS superstrat, if you treat the triplebucker as a S and H, it makes more sense.

Edit: Babby's first guitar, two fingers, one rear end in a top hat. All you need to rock.

I've played a Marauder briefly, and the triplebucker is actually really neat! You're right, it's actually more like a humbucker and a single coil wired together when it comes down to how they wired it.

Basically, you get a 5 way, strat-style switch. Position 1 (the "bridge" position) is the two most bridgeward coils, so you get a humbucker at the bridge tone. Position 2 is all 3 coils, and you get a tone that sounds like a meatier humbucker. Position 3 is the most neckward coil, so you get a somewhat single coil bridge tone, but less bright, obviously, since it's moved forward from the bridge a bit. Position 4 is the most neckward coil and the neck pickup. Position 5 is just the neck pickup.

It's really versatile and you can get a lot of neat sounds out of it. If I recall, the triplebucker is, I think, standard humbucker sized rather than wacky, proprietary sized so switching it out would be an option if you don't like it. I won't be buying one since I couldn't really picture myself using it often enough to justify having it, but for someone who wants a solid guitar with a lot of versatility for not a lot of money, it'd be a great buy.

Neck-wise, it reminded me of my Jazzmaster both in scale and in feel. I *love* my Jazzmaster's neck, so my thoughts while playing it were "this is a pretty sweet neck", but your mileage may vary. My basic thoughts were that this was supposed to be their "Jazzmaster" Modern Player to compliment their Jaguar modern player (yes, I know there actually was a Fender Marauder from the 60's and stuff, but they're clearly trying to position this as the Jazzmaster-type guitar of the line, what with the neck pickup and stuff) since Fender loves to release Jazzmasters/Jaguars in pairs whenever they do release a new model.

Fake edit: For what it's worth, Squier is supposed to be coming out with an (I assume Vintage Modified?) Marauder that has two triplebuckers at some point. I can only assume the switching will be bridge humbucker/bridge triple bucker/bridge and neck single coils/neck triplebucker/neck humbucker.

C.C.C.P. fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 5, 2011

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Foiltha posted:

This is so true. Classic Vibe Teles and Strats are great instruments and drat near unbeatable in their price range. I haven't got much experience with the Vintage Modified series, but at least the 4 string jazz bass is an extremely solid bass.

Everyone should really try a Classic Vibe the next time they're at a guitar store. Seriously, they're very good for their price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFaWYSr6d_Y

Granted, Jack Thammarat can make anything sound good.

Squier has a long and storied history of making really good instruments. Squiers from the 80's are widely viewed as great instruments (which stands to reason, seeing as how they used Fender USA parts and were just made in Japan for cheaper labor costs). The Vista series in the 90's was loving awesome and command a premium used, not just because they're a discontinued line, but because they were notoriously great instruments. The Classic Vibe/Vintage Modified lines are basically two more premium lines in the tradition of the Vista series.

I mean, it shouldn't even be controversial at this point to say Squier can make a really loving good guitar. They also make poo poo, but that's forgivable, since they're a budget brand and their "poo poo" tends to be their bottom rung "babby's REAL first guitar" stuff.

You know what's less forgivable, though? When a high end guitar manufacturer does this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=447d8NXqztQ&feature=related

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Warcabbit posted:

You got your hands on one outside of a store, Side Effect? Do tell. I'm looking for something to replace my Partscaster in the stable. The number of different sounds it makes really intrigues me.

I'm pretty much going to just echo what C.C.C.P. said: it's a really cool guitar with an awesome vibe. It's a very versatile guitar for an awesome price, and the neck was pretty comfortable to me. The triple-bucker is a unique and interesting concept, and it took me a little getting used to the switching because I've never used a guitar with so many switch combinations before.

Personally, I prefer Gibson scale lengths and tune-o-matics to Fender bridges so I won't be buying it, but I can see why others would.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

C.C.C.P. posted:

I have no idea what Fender's obsession is with trying to retcon the Jaguar into some HH, hardtail nightmare and as such will never ever own a Fender Jaguar HH no matter how many times they rerelease it or make a Squier-ized version of it, but I have to admit, that P90 Jag is loving CLASSY.

Oof, that's a really nasty piece of wood. I know these Modern Players are being made in China but the grain on that thing makes it look like a Squier. It would look better with a solid "target burst" finish.

edit: CCCP knows her poo poo, owns top shelf guitars, is familiar with Jay Reatard and appears to be into politics. Low-key goon crushing, y'all. :3:

edit 2: ...but she forgot to mention Squier's Pro-Tone series.

no dad im not gay! fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 6, 2011

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I've been really bad about bragging about my new stuff. This is about the 6 months of new purchases.

I got this Malden Liquid about 5 months ago when they were liquidating their old stock. Picked this up for less than $225 with shipping and has turned into one of my favorite instruments. People often tell me they thought it was a $800+ guitar

Avid M-Box3 Pro: I got this as an upgrade from an M-Box2 and it owns. Can record at 96k and 24 bit. 4 pre's and a total of 8 ins an 8 outs. Has 4 inserts and really just sounds fantastic.

Fender Blues Junior: Got off of Craigslist for $280. Everyone knows the deal with these. I'm gonna replace the tubes with Ruby Tubes and swap the speaker

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Get an old JBL D-110 to put in that Blues Junior and I promise you won't need another Fender amp to record with, ever. Those speakers are amazing for Fender amps.

no dad im not gay! fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 6, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

HollisBrown posted:

So I've been really bad about bragging about my new stuff. This is about the 6 months of new purchases.

I got this Malden Liquid about 5 months ago when they were liquidating their old stock. Picked this up for less than $225 with shipping and has turned into one of my favorite instruments. People often tell me they thought it was a $800+ guitar

oh god

oh god

Most of my guitars are the epitome of modern, but I always have a soft spot for older-styled guitars with p90s.

That's beautiful and I need one in my life.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Pretentious Turtle posted:

oh god

oh god

Most of my guitars are the epitome of modern, but I always have a soft spot for older-styled guitars with p90s.

That's beautiful and I need one in my life.

Yeah I kind of bought it on an impulse after someone in the Rondo music thread linked their liquidation sale. I've never owned a P90 guitar before and for $225 shipped why not? I figured if It was junk I would use it as a slide guitar but it really blew me away. The tones are range from dark and smokey to Teleish. The fit and finish is awesome. I restrung it with 10's as soon as I got it and set the intonation and the action was perfect. I still may swap the pickups if I run across a good deal on some Gibson P90s.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

no dad im not gay! posted:

Oof, that's a really nasty piece of wood. I know these Modern Players are being made in China but the grain on that thing makes it look like a Squier. It would look better with a solid "target burst" finish.

edit: CCCP knows her poo poo, owns top shelf guitars, is familiar with Jay Reatard and appears to be into politics. Low-key goon crushing, y'all. :3:

edit 2: ...but she forgot to mention Squier's Pro-Tone series.

Haha, yeah, that particular one does look a bit like 1970's furniture or perhaps wood paneling, now that you mention it. I think the sunburst just makes the wood even more noticeable. They've got a translucent red (with the grain visible) that looks less like it came from Charles Bronson's den. Mainly, I just love guitars with big ol' fuckin' P90 soapbars. See also: HollisBrown's Malden he posted a few posts up.

I'd imagine the wood is probably less uniformly terrible and more hit or miss and that that's where the low cost comes in. I've seen (and played) a Marauder in store, so I figure it's only a matter of time before the Jag shows up. If it does, and when I inevitably blow through more of my disposable income on it, I will be sure to post a trip report in this very thread!

I have heard of the Pro-Tone series and I think I've seen one or two pop up on Craigslist, but being that they were just Strats, I wasn't too interested at the time. All the more proof that Squier makes very playable stuff in addition to total beginner stuff.

What I'd REALLY love to find is a Squier Super-Sonic on Craigslist or in some pawn shop or something somewhere (I don't do eBay). Godddd I love reverse headstocks.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.maldenguitars.com/store.htm

Still got 12 days...

Sadly, all out of Liquids. But the Mozak is nice, and my Subhuman is brutal.

Oh, hey, did someone say cheap reverse-headstocks?
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-890-Drop-Top-Setneck-Flamed-maple-BOUND-Floyd-Rose-Guitars_c_359.html
These just got a top cheap guitar award from Guitar Player magazine.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No P90s no sale. :colbert: