Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Oggumogoggum posted:

I can't get over how boring maps are now. I was wandering far from my home in a new map last night, and started making my way back. I headed into a forest because I knew there was one near my cave, and halfway through the forest I started having doubts, because I remembered that every forest looks literally exactly the same as every other one. Luckily, it was the right one.

I want old map generation back, at least as an optional thing. I don't even like ravines that much -- they are so random and often really out of place.

Wow I have no idea what worlds you guys live on, the map on our server is filled to the brim with crazy mountains, large plains, huge deserts, swamps, and even the north has a sweet frozen wasteland/mountaineous region. There is the occasional chasm or two spread out across our vast lands. The whole main continent is surounded by a gigantic ocean but after making a couple voyaging excursions we have found more land dotting the horizon. Our world owns and it owns hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Senator Woofington posted:

Wow I have no idea what worlds you guys live on, the map on our server is filled to the brim with crazy mountains, large plains, huge deserts, swamps, and even the north has a sweet frozen wasteland/mountaineous region. There is the occasional chasm or two spread out across our vast lands. The whole main continent is surounded by a gigantic ocean but after making a couple voyaging excursions we have found more land dotting the horizon. Our world owns and it owns hard.

The terrain generator now is like assembling the world out of puzzle pieces. The mountains sure look awesome, but they're all the same. The forests are all identical. And so on. This is definitely a step in the right direction from the old map generation, but now they need to diversify the biomes within themselves, so that there'll be height variation in places that are not mountains, some openings in forests (lakes maybe?), mountains that actually have something on them, etc.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's so weird to me how they completely wrecked generation from 1.8 to 1.0. Maps in 1.8 were interesting as hell and had lots of awesome features. Now it's all swamps and identical forests, with occasional low hills. Seriously, how did they screw it up so bad?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Amppelix posted:

This is definitely a step in the right direction from the old map generation

I don't think it's a step in the right direction at all. I don't need my biomes to be this obvious. Right now it's LOOK AT ALL THE TREES YOU ARE IN A FOREST THIS IS A FOREST and then you step out and it's LOOK AT THE FLAT LAND THIS IS A PLAIN and there is literally no intersection or deviation from these completely flat, boring biomes. Sure, the mountains are big, but they are just part of the big retarded mountains biome and they are all literally the same type of mountains.

I want my world to feel like an actual world, not a Settlers of Catan board.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Well, to be honest, forests and plains in the real world tend to be a bit dull as well.

What the generator needs though is a better transition, and more logical placement. Mountains should run in long chains, occasionally fully surrounding a biome in the middle (Like a desert). Swamps should be long and coastal, and all the biomes should be a lot bigger.

As far as making things interesting, that'd require more stuff in the actual world. More tree variations, more complex chasm placement so you get big canyons, more dirt and rock types, and more structures like towns.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It could really use rivers that actually come down off of the high ground like they tend to do in real life. As it's been they're almost always at sea level.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

My problem with the terrain gen isn't even that, it's the fact that the land is nothing but extremely abrupt ravines and caves without organic entrances. Instead of a decline or a recess as an entrance to the cave, there are just jagged hovering pieces of dirt over equally jagged cave terrain. The transitions between cave passageways are more chaotic than they've ever been, with huge rooms crisscrossed by random 1x1 or 1x2 holes that lead to ravines.

Before, cave systems would resemble an ant farm of sorts, and now the caves we're finding are more like a cubist's impression of an abstract dithered cave network.

It also doesn't help that every 2 steps is a ravine, somehow.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
After trimming back our SMP map, and letting the new areas regenerate, our world pointed out that Notch has a woody for Swamp biomes.

Hell, even one of my previous areas that was all pretty and nice now has green water and sick grass.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Did anyone hear about mojang wanting to make minecraft-themed lego sets? That's probably the most unnecessary product I've ever heard of.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

FidgetyRat posted:

After trimming back our SMP map, and letting the new areas regenerate, our world pointed out that Notch has a woody for Swamp biomes.

Hell, even one of my previous areas that was all pretty and nice now has green water and sick grass.

I actually like swamp biomes, I try to make sure I have a world that spawns in one so I can live in a wonderful swamp forest full of ivy and mushrooms (some I make huge).

Of course, spawning in a Mushroom biome would be even better in my opinion. Anyone have a world like that? Just mushroom biome, as far as the eye can see at spawn?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Al! posted:

Did anyone hear about mojang wanting to make minecraft-themed lego sets? That's probably the most unnecessary product I've ever heard of.

I think its an appropriate time to post this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33vL0zkT0s

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Sudoku posted:

Of course, spawning in a Mushroom biome would be even better in my opinion. Anyone have a world like that? Just mushroom biome, as far as the eye can see at spawn?

If the initial spawn is still always on sand, I don't think that's possible, seeing as the mushroom island biome is made entirely of mycelium.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Boat posted:

If the initial spawn is still always on sand, I don't think that's possible, seeing as the mushroom island biome is made entirely of mycelium.

Initial spawn no longer has to be on sand. I wish it would stop spawning me on top of trees though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think its an appropriate time to post this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33vL0zkT0s
I really don't like these guys. Their public videos amount to "how shameless and annoying can we be to strangers?"

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Boat posted:

Only followers of Libila will spawn on mycelium and get passive hunger regen from it :v:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Um.

I updated to whatever the newest version is now , 1.0.0 I guess, and the first thing I noticed is that apparently my top floor was dripping water. The second thing I noticed was that I was watching all the water in my lake and half the visible ocean freeze slowly. Some of the grass was turning brown, so I was assuming that was normal too. Then I loaded up again today and:

So updating minecraft placed my house onto the border of a snow biome and a swamp biome? What the gently caress?

Also: is there any way to stop the dripping through blocks? I set up my house with a little wheat/sugar cane farm on the second floor, so I need the water there. I thought it was just that I needed to put stone instead of wooden planks but it's still going. Does it need to be 2 blocks deep or something?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Wrist Watch posted:

Does it need to be 2 blocks deep or something?

Yeah. The dripping serves the function of informing that you are under a body of water, so that you wouldn't dig upwards and accidentally drown while mining. In architecture it can be a problem, though, but not unsolvable, and can even be used to your advantage if you want a shower room etc.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm pretty sure glass doesn't get the drip effect, that's one way around it.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I've just downloaded Spoutcraft to play Minecraft. Can't I transfer my worlds over?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Javid posted:

You are correct!

(This wasn't the case in the 1.9 prereleases, so I had to deal with a leaky library)

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Javid posted:

I can confirm that glass does not get the drip effect. I have a lovely chandelier made of glass with lava suspended in it and it definitely does not drip.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Cool. I'll replace the blocks under the water troughs with glass then. Is there any way to make the water in a swamp biome not change color? It looks silly as it is but it's not important enough to go download a mod that changes it, I won't even be able to see the water half the time.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Is there any way to make the water in a swamp biome not change color?
Short of editing the terrain tint textures to be all one colour, probably not.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Boat posted:

Well since you're genning in 1.7.3, the map's going to be missing any of the features that you like in 1.0.0. No strongholds, no abandoned mines, no swamps, no vines, no lily pads, no mushroom islands. Also your biomes will be totally skewed when running on a 1.0.0 server, so be prepared for just about anywhere to randomly get snow/rain regardless of whether it's a desert or what-have-you.

We can MCedit villages and strongholds in when we want them. I'm not too worried about the rest. And by 'cool poo poo', I meant the new crafting additions/combat changes to the game.

I've been trying to use the version of MCedit that came out when 1.7.3 did, but it's fighting me at every turn.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Travic posted:

Teach me sensei!

Alright young grasshopper, listen up.

See this ugly-rear end blocky hole I made? We're gonna smooth it up. (click images for bigger)

Drag a selection box around what you want, then use WSADQZ while holding the mouse button down on the nudge buttons to fine-tune the selection box.

Then, click the coffee pot and pick "smooth" from the drop-down menu there.

Pick the level of smoothness you want, hit the button, and you're good to go! Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

This is smoothness 10 by the way. Keep in mind I also only selected a pretty thin sliver of the ledge, so it didn't do that much smoothing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

The terrain generator now is like assembling the world out of puzzle pieces. The mountains sure look awesome, but they're all the same. The forests are all identical. And so on. This is definitely a step in the right direction from the old map generation, but now they need to diversify the biomes within themselves, so that there'll be height variation in places that are not mountains, some openings in forests (lakes maybe?), mountains that actually have something on them, etc.
The terrain generator before was also assembling the world out of puzzle pieces, but they were really tiny chaotic puzzle pieces that made no attempt to mesh at all. The world was a jumbled chaos, with water, mountains, and biomes all strewn incoherently about.

The old terrain generation was essentially TV static- a meaningless undifferentiated mess of tiny particles.

The new terrain generation is... more like a cow pattern. Large structured splotches of contrasting areas.

In the old system, if you wanted to build deep in the desert... well you were poo poo out of luck, as the desert was tiny and surrounded by a mess of incompatible biomes. If you wanted to build in the ocean, well too bad. No oceans, just random ugly winding lakes. No large scale differentiation at all.

The new system is so incredibly better in every way, and I can't imagine how people could complain about it.

And, since quite a few people mentioned it, how is the terrain generation system different between beta 1.8 and 1.0? I know it's got snow biomes and mushroom islands, so all the seeds are a bit different... but it's essentially the same as far as I knew, in terms of biome distribution and size and so on.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

Cool. I'll replace the blocks under the water troughs with glass then. Is there any way to make the water in a swamp biome not change color? It looks silly as it is but it's not important enough to go download a mod that changes it, I won't even be able to see the water half the time.

Really, you lucked the gently caress out. Snow biome so you can assemble an army of snow golems, swamp biome so you can get lily pads. You really want lily pads, they're basically a way to make it so you can walk on water. Makes farming about a billion times easier when you cover all the water with lily pads for ease of access.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I reallllyy want ice trolls in the snow biomes. drat you skyrim! The legal battle means that they'll never steal anything from bethesda :argh:

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I still don't get all the complaining on terrian gen. Before people complained because they wanted "well defined biomes!" Now people are complaining because biomes are too well defined.

People are saying cool poo poo doesn't spawn anymore but I have this crazy rear end mountanelous region with floating islands and huge overhangs just next to spawn! People wanted big oceans and now complain that oceans are too big. Comparitively I have long rolling plains not too far away from it and everything in between. I just don't get it at all. Maybe I'm blessed to have one of the coolest maps genned on my server but our map is indeed awesome. It's got rivers that we use for travel between our builds, its got a couple really awesomely placed ravines here and there. Its got an awesome village hangin out on a desert island. Maybe I'm just easily satisfied but I really love our map.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

I still don't get all the complaining on terrian gen. Before people complained because they wanted "well defined biomes!" Now people are complaining because biomes are too well defined.
People are complaining because biomes don't fade into one another and have abrupt and ugly transitions between single blocks.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Elysiume posted:

People are complaining because biomes don't fade into one another and have abrupt and ugly transitions between single blocks.

I mean I guess? Maybe I'm lucky, with the exception of swamps (gently caress swamps) most of my biomes transitions are not noticeable or actually pretty nice. A lot of my biomes have a river that runs along their border too.

I will concede I guess their borders could be a bit better but its never really been better than it has now has it?

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I'm mostly annoyed because caves aren't nice and organic-seeming any more. I want to find a hole in the side of a mountain and follow tunnels down into the depths of the earth. Instead I find a one-square hole leading down into a giant pit with entrances at every level and little holes leading to other tunnels and it's not nice and neat. >:(

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011
Haha I think most of my posts in this thread has been crying over how extremely awful and loving bland biomes are now.

Would it be possible to get back an older version of minecraft? I wanna make a massive effort post showing comparisons between the two.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Frogmarched posted:

Haha I think most of my posts in this thread has been crying over how extremely awful and loving bland biomes are now.

Would it be possible to get back an older version of minecraft? I wanna make a massive effort post showing comparisons between the two.

The .jar files are hosted here and there, not sure if it's :filez: as you'll still need to log in to play I imagine. You just replace the current .jar with whatever version you want to return to (though I reccomend backing everything up in case it all goes tits up when you do so).

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The .jar files are hosted here and there, not sure if it's :filez: as you'll still need to log in to play I imagine. You just replace the current .jar with whatever version you want to return to (though I reccomend backing everything up in case it all goes tits up when you do so).

You don't need to log in to play singleplayer they are absolutely :filez:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nope.

Frogmarched posted:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/352333-minecraft-version-patcher-mcpatcher-100-indev-mc-100-30000-dls/

Dr. Octopus
Dec 11, 2006

I am inventing a ray, that turns birthday presents into HOMEWORK!
I always clear out the area around diamond whenever i find it, after losing too many to unforeseen lava it always seemed like a good idea. But I've been having a bitch of a time finding diamond after we switched over to 1.0. I've only found it under a ton of gravel (usually the 5th or 6th gently caress off massive pile of it.) or connected to a string of ores.

I hit the motherload. 2 1/2 stacks of coal, 30 some iron, a stack of redstone, 6 gold, and 5 diamond all connected to each other.

I have a new game when finding diamonds. If i hit ore at <16 i clear out the surrounding area.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

You don't need to log in to play singleplayer they are absolutely :filez:

Ah right. I've seen previous versions hosted or linked here before I think, so I just assumed you needed to log in to play. Or have logged in once from you machine?

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011

ta matey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dr. Octopus posted:

It's like Tetris