Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

It must be one of the rarest drops in the game, I have killed so many channelers it isn't even funny and I don't have one. Hell I have a loving mimic hat but not one of those tridents.

I got a drop off the first channeller I ever saw in the parish, after killing him with a bow. I died on the way up to him to pick it up though! :D DAAAARKSOUUULS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ok, gently caress Dark Sun Gwyndolin.

It shouldn't be this hard...but I suck at dodging that cluster of souls arrows (the one large one...soul spear? Easy to dodge.)

I mean...there's like seven of them! I roll under a couple, I stand up and get hit by one or two...then when I stop to use Estus Flask, BAM, that's when the soul spear hits me.

Plus, it kicks you back out to the Anor Londo bonfire, not the Darkmoon one. Not a big deal, right? Just rest there and teleport down...oh, wait, already killed the firekeeper here because what did I need this bonfire for? How was I supposed to know I'd respawn here?

So now I run back to the bonfire at the bottom of Duke's Archives and teleport from there...since the tower is in the "down" position, I can't get to it without going through the church.

AND STOP TELEPORTING!!!!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He's really easy once you figure it out. The regular arrows can be dodged with SERPENTINE MOTION. The soul arrows are hard to dodge so just sit behind a pillar till he stops. The big soul spear you just roll through.

Basically just bide your time and wait for the little arrows and just run at him (slightly weaving to throw his aim off of course) since he stops casting at melee range.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I've been pvping in the Kiln for a while now and I think my experience has been largely positive. I win probably half my battles but I don't feel like I lost unfairly, instead I am the one who made a mistake (have had a couple teleporting backstabs but they are few). It is definitely a different playstyle than what I'm used to, and I feel I am improving.

Having a few connection issues though...half the time the fog walls will appear then disappear in a few seconds, and I have been clicking the dragon signs and they only work half the time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ok, gently caress Dark Sun Gwyndolin.

It shouldn't be this hard...but I suck at dodging that cluster of souls arrows (the one large one...soul spear? Easy to dodge.)

I mean...there's like seven of them! I roll under a couple, I stand up and get hit by one or two...then when I stop to use Estus Flask, BAM, that's when the soul spear hits me.

Plus, it kicks you back out to the Anor Londo bonfire, not the Darkmoon one. Not a big deal, right? Just rest there and teleport down...oh, wait, already killed the firekeeper here because what did I need this bonfire for? How was I supposed to know I'd respawn here?

So now I run back to the bonfire at the bottom of Duke's Archives and teleport from there...since the tower is in the "down" position, I can't get to it without going through the church.

AND STOP TELEPORTING!!!!

It's best to hide behind the pillars on the side when he does the multi-soul arrow barrage. The only problem is they are slow, and the soul spear is fast and isn't blocked by the pillars. This can lead to you needing to choose between dodging to avoid the spear and eating the cluster, or hiding behind the pillar to avoid the cluster and eating the spear. Still, tends to be the way to go.

As far as his teleporting, keeping attacking where he was- you can usually get a hit or two in even after he completely disappears.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well, no sooner after I post that then I got him, but only through dumb luck. He went the whole fight just using regular old arrows. Even the ones I didn't dodge barely brought down my stamina with my shield up.

But the chest on the left was empty...I feel gyped.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just got the Silver Knight armor set from Anor Londo, rocking that and working on a Divine Man-Serpent Greatsword. Is the Silver set worth upgrading? I feel like it is, but I figure I should check with the goons before I throw my Twinklings at it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
OK so farming that first BK in undead burg and restarting if he doesn't drop a sword wasted about 90 minutes but it sure is fun as hell running through the early game and absolutely demolishing everything. Taurus demon died in 1 plunging attack. The baldur / rapier guys die in 1 hit. Black Knights get staggered with 2h R1. Punted the BK guarding the grass crest shield off a cliff with an R2 attack (which is so slow it's ridiculous but it looks amazing if you actually hit something). Havel died in 1 backstab and a couple of normal hits.

When I get up tomorrow morning I am going to assist farm the gently caress out of gargoyles and hopefully get my sunbro on for some gross incandescence :3:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

gravyflood posted:

Just got the Silver Knight armor set from Anor Londo, rocking that and working on a Divine Man-Serpent Greatsword. Is the Silver set worth upgrading? I feel like it is, but I figure I should check with the goons before I throw my Twinklings at it.

Silver Knight got improved in the latest patch. It might be up to par with the other medium sets now, but I haven't gotten it on my latest character yet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I believe the Steel Set is still better than Silver Knight by quite a bit for slightly more weight but I am on my phone and don't have the spreadsheet that tells you which armor has stamina penalty.

RabidWeasel posted:

OK so farming that first BK in undead burg and restarting if he doesn't drop a sword wasted about 90 minutes but it sure is fun as hell running through the early game and absolutely demolishing everything. Taurus demon died in 1 plunging attack. The baldur / rapier guys die in 1 hit. Black Knights get staggered with 2h R1. Punted the BK guarding the grass crest shield off a cliff with an R2 attack (which is so slow it's ridiculous but it looks amazing if you actually hit something). Havel died in 1 backstab and a couple of normal hits.

When I get up tomorrow morning I am going to assist farm the gently caress out of gargoyles and hopefully get my sunbro on for some gross incandescence :3:

I did this for a character and it was awesome. Make sure you upgrade it with the twinklings from the gecko in the burg tower as well as the one on the ramp down to Darkroot Basin. It does bonus damage to demons so pretty much every boss early in the game gets annihilated in a few hits.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Eej posted:

I believe the Steel Set is still better than Silver Knight by quite a bit for slightly more weight but I am on my phone and don't have the spreadsheet that tells you which armor has stamina penalty.

Well, I'm probably going to stick with the Silver Knight set for now, then. I'm not gonna be leveling up until I'm done hanging around Anor Londo.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
So this is the worst position to leave the game for the night - I got too cocky and booked it at Pinwheel with my two-handed painted guardian sword, lighting resined. Three strikes and he's down to 2/3rds health. Problem is, his duplicate he made hits me with some magic and I lose ALL my health in one shot.

I'm leaving the game for the night having just given myself the quest to get back and reclaim 13 humanity I have on my bloodstain. If I die on the way there...

...well let's not think about that now, shall we?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gazmachine posted:

So this is the worst position to leave the game for the night - I got too cocky and booked it at Pinwheel with my two-handed painted guardian sword, lighting resined. Three strikes and he's down to 2/3rds health. Problem is, his duplicate he made hits me with some magic and I lose ALL my health in one shot.

I'm leaving the game for the night having just given myself the quest to get back and reclaim 13 humanity I have on my bloodstain. If I die on the way there...

The pardoner guy in the Undead Parish belltower sells Rings of Sacrifice. From what I've heard, your bloodstain doesn't disappear if you die while wearing one.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Gazmachine posted:

There is a summon for Pinwheel, he's just in a really awkward place. I'm exhausted and studying for my exams right now, but look into summoning Paladin Leeroy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The summon for pinwheel is on the tiny ledge on the right side of the entrance to the tunnel that takes you to the boss zone. You have to drop down from above. Get your humanity back and summon him, good luck.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

To summon Paladin Leeroy, make your way through the level until you are at the entrance of that long tunnel with the titanite demon at the end. Don't go through the tunnel; instead turn around and drop down to the right of the jut in the cliff. His sign is either on the ledge you land on, or the one directly below it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Been playing Saints Row 3 the entire last month. Did I miss any patch notes?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Thanks people, forgot about my ring of sacrifice. I just need to slowly and carefully make my way back, put the ring on, jump in, have a go and then if I gently caress up again, no biggie.

Still need to make it back though...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Kill them all and then kill a buncha drat babies to get humanity back and then fight a skeleton god.

Good game.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

gravyflood posted:

Well, I'm probably going to stick with the Silver Knight set for now, then. I'm not gonna be leveling up until I'm done hanging around Anor Londo.

Silver Knight set has the advantage of not being horribly vulnerable to lightning damage however. The Steel set also has really minor penalties to stamina regen. They both look really cool though. I end up upgrading the Silver Knight set and Steel set on almost all my characters for what it's worth.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

Dear Watson posted:

It's really not that bad of a reward considering if you were to go +5 lightning with that claymore you would get 571, 283 phys 288 lightning. Having the enchanted is actually better than that(if you are an int character), with its 578 with 192 physical and 358 magic. The problem seems to come in that as far as pvp goes most of the armor sets have decent protection against magic but crap against lightning.

edit: What would also suck is if you were going against someone that noticed you're a caster and cast greater magic protection , which would pretty much negate your spells and your melee if you were using an enchanted sword. Which I think I recall someone having that happen to them in this thread when they were using the moonlight sword. I guess thats a lesson to keep something in backup or arrange your inventory to make it easier to switch to another damage type quickly.

The thing with magic/enchanted weapons is that they require a lot of int for their damage to be close to what fire/lightning weapons can dish out. If you really wanted to, you could pick up a +5 lightning weapon at level 1 and be dealing 500-600 damage a hit. It would be nice if you didn't have to wait until your int is 40 before you're dealing as much damage as a fire/lightning weapon with an int based weapon.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.
How I wish I could get Painting Guardian armor.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sumixam posted:

How I wish I could get Painting Guardian armor.

You can! It's in the Painted World.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Do any non-great sword swords have good scaling? Longswords and Broadswords only have C as far as I can tell

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Do any non-great sword swords have good scaling? Longswords and Broadswords only have C as far as I can tell
I think the idea with straight swords is that they have equal (and low) scaling between str and dex. Bigger swords are for str, and either daggers or curved swords are for dex.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Eastwood posted:

The thing with magic/enchanted weapons is that they require a lot of int for their damage to be close to what fire/lightning weapons can dish out. If you really wanted to, you could pick up a +5 lightning weapon at level 1 and be dealing 500-600 damage a hit. It would be nice if you didn't have to wait until your int is 40 before you're dealing as much damage as a fire/lightning weapon with an int based weapon.

Well yeah, thats the same with all of the scaling weapons though. I believe that's why they stack the damage on the magic side is so it is more comparable as things improve in resistance (at least in pve) I'm not sure anyone goes to 40 int for the melee weapons to be good do they? You can look at them as side bonus for getting up there for the crystal magic.

Also, yeah you can get lightning weapons at level 1, but you can get enchanted weapons much earlier in the game progression which doesn't normally restrict you to level 1. You can get the ember as soon as you leave the asylum at the beginning if you have the master key and know the shortcuts. So theoretically by the time you even reach anor londo, you'd be dealing almost as much as or as much as lightning weapons. You probably won't do more than them since you don't have access to the blue slab but you do have access to blue chunks so you'd be able to get to +4 enchanted.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think the idea with straight swords is that they have equal (and low) scaling between str and dex. Bigger swords are for str, and either daggers or curved swords are for dex.

So basically if I want to use a straight sword fire/lightning/chaos is the way to go? That's fine, I just want to use a longsword because I think they look the coolest with Elite Knight Set.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So basically if I want to use a straight sword fire/lightning/chaos is the way to go? That's fine, I just want to use a longsword because I think they look the coolest with Elite Knight Set.
Yeah, I agree. That said, the silver knight sword is a HELL of a sword, even for a character without that high str or dex. Its heavy attack animations are awesome.

edit: it's E/C though, but its base damage is crazy high and can be enchanted/resined.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 6, 2011

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Jesus loving christ. I play this game for the first time in a week, decide to use my level 23 guy for some Sunbro co-op, and the same motherfucker who was griefing the Parish last week killed my host immediately.

If any of you guys run into finalfantasy9817, whether he invades you or what, shove a claymore up his rear end in a top hat for me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I've invaded Sen's about 50 times now. Half the time the host either disconnects or I fall off the starting beam trying to get down (which is always worth a LOL). I've won probably 95% of the other invasions. My only complaint is that no one has any souls because its too easy to die in Sen's.

I've also managed to invade the same person twice in the span of 15 minutes (we talked on xbox messenger) and invade 2 people in the same clan in an hour.

I had a really interesting matchup last night with a dragon covenant + white phantom duo that tried using tactics to dislodge me from the upper area. He had the dragon bow so I'm pretty sure he was NG+. We dueled arrows back and forth for a bit and then they finally charged the bridge. Kill the white phantom by using acid cloud to obscure the pendulum swings and then when he was in the middle i went to R2 zweihander him to gently caress up his timing and I fell off. Was really anticlimactic but funny.

I'm using lightning zweihander, pyromancy with acid surge + greater combustion and a fire bow. I'm only SL40 and I'm wearing iron tarkus gear + elite knight leggings so i can medium roll with havels + wolf ring. Most of the people are shield + spear, some magic, and some NG+ people with huge gently caress off weapons and poo poo. I had a funny match vs a spear + shield where I targetting them and just sprinted into them in a circle and we spun around about 100 times until I backed off to regain my stamina.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 6, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Are clubs and the like the only weapons in the game with a knock-person-on-their-rear end effect? I remember the R2 on the meat cleaver in Demon's Souls did... I loved that thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is the forested area just through the Artorias Crest-sealed door some kind of invader hot spot? I just got two consecutive invasions, killed them both, but I'm still locked in by an impassable fog door that sprang up behind me. I guess that means people are still trying to connect to me?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

That is for forest covenant PvP. Going there as human is basically a sure-fire way to get invaded by one or more people.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Oxxidation posted:

Is the forested area just through the Artorias Crest-sealed door some kind of invader hot spot? I just got two consecutive invasions, killed them both, but I'm still locked in by an impassable fog door that sprang up behind me. I guess that means people are still trying to connect to me?
If you stay on the stairs, up near the fog door, it will eventually dissipate. The stairs are a no invade zone.

edit: From what I've heard, I'm not usually in the forest while human unless I want to fight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

That is for forest covenant PvP. Going there as human is basically a sure-fire way to get invaded by one or more people.

Oh, that's just spectacular. I knew there was something off about that place.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
Why the hell can I do jumping attacks (tapping forward and hard attack) all day long without fail when no enemy is in front of me but as soon as even the weakest enemies are in front of me, it's a 50-50 chance whether or not I'll perform a jumping attack or a regular hard attack, thereby getting destroyed as my character does the drat wind up motion for my ridiculous sword?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

Oh, that's just spectacular. I knew there was something off about that place.
I have found they suck compared to normal invaders though. I killed three of them in one trip through once. After the third bit it I got bored and went through the boss door.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Graviija posted:

If any of you guys run into finalfantasy9817, whether he invades you or what, shove a claymore up his rear end in a top hat for me.

Aha, me and two others had this guy a while back. One of the phantoms was crazy loving good though, even with what looked like a +5 fire longsword. He double back stabs finalfantasy and during the recovery animation of the second one, he either yanks his cable or uses the Banishment Crystal. 'finalfantasy9817 has returned home' popped up. Every low level invader is pretty much a big, terrible baby.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wow, the Bed of Chaos has to be the dumbest, most gimicky, unfun piece of poo poo boss in any video game. Want to get to that root, too bad, you die as soon as you stop sliding. Want to block the arms to finish the fight, gently caress you. You can't dodge them either!

A half hour long arbitrarily hard twitch boss from an old arcade game with modern QTEs thrown in randomly would be more fun. Playing Rock Band where the notes are random and don't have a beat with the music being nails scraped against a chalkboard with some AC/DC thrown in would be more fun.

Hell, better design too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Mr. Wookums posted:

Wow, the Bed of Chaos has to be the dumbest, most gimicky, unfun piece of poo poo boss in any video game. Want to get to that root, too bad, you die as soon as you stop sliding. Want to block the arms to finish the fight, gently caress you. You can't dodge them either!

A half hour long arbitrarily hard twitch boss from an old arcade game with modern QTEs thrown in randomly would be more fun. Playing Rock Band where the notes are random and don't have a beat with the music being nails scraped against a chalkboard with some AC/DC thrown in would be more fun.

Hell, better design too.

If you can't get the timing right on avoiding its sweeps, you can block them, like with a shield. It doesn't even need to be a particularly good shield, you just need to be facing the direction of attack. The fire blasts have a big glowy spot before they go off, so you can just step around those. And the overhead burning tentacle knives only come down if you stand in the same spot for a long time.

Waaah waah waah.

• Locked thread