Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Frogmarched posted:

Haha I think most of my posts in this thread has been crying over how extremely awful and loving bland biomes are now.

Would it be possible to get back an older version of minecraft? I wanna make a massive effort post showing comparisons between the two.

I can kind of see where you're coming from - the place I'm building in now, generated in 1.7, is a series of ridges surrounding a couple of flat valleys with ponds and beaches running through them. They look pretty incredible and couldn't happen in 1.8+, just because they're multiple biomes crossed together as a side effect of how small they were back then.

Really, I think the solution would be for the biome generator to be able to overlap biomes, and make them shape in more twisty ways at the edges. Combine that with some hilly and ridge terrain possibilities less than the full mountain, and it'd be okay.

Re: swamp colouration:

Crosscontaminant posted:

Short of editing the terrain tint textures to be all one colour, probably not.

Would this even work? As far as I can tell, the swamp biome is a hardcoded darkening. It's really irritating.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I was under the assumption that misc/foliagecolor.png, misc/grasscolor.png and misc/watercolor.png were palette triangles which are sampled when deciding the colour of a leaves/grass/water block for a given biome. I know texture packs can change the colour - default textures just have dark blue swamp water versus blue normal water, but Sphax has green swamp water versus blue normal water.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crosscontaminant posted:

I was under the assumption that misc/foliagecolor.png, misc/grasscolor.png and misc/watercolor.png were palette triangles which are sampled when deciding the colour of a leaves/grass/water block for a given biome. I know texture packs can change the colour - default textures just have dark blue swamp water versus blue normal water, but Sphax has green swamp water versus blue normal water.

The default (and all the others) actually turns the water green too, it's just harder to see.

As far as I know, the swamp transition is hardcoded, and it'll take a mod to remove it.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Is there any instances of the same world being generated twice, with the same changes? I created a world in creative mode to dick about with redstone. I decided that the mountain near the spawn needed a nice big hole through the middle. So I blew it up. Then I got bored and deleted the world and loaded up a new one. It was the same world. Down to the little redstone experiments I had set up and the hole in the mountain. It was quite odd.

Also, I'm looking for a texture pack that gives me simple blocks. I've looked at a few texture packs like that, but they all have these ugly pastel colours all around with no colour changes. It's like an MS Paint nightmare. Is there anyone that can help me out with finding a nice looking, smooth and simple texture pack?

ants on my cum rag fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 6, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Worst Muslim posted:

Also, I'm looking for a texture pack that gives me simple blocks. I've looked at a few texture packs like that, but they all have these ugly pastel colours all around with no colour changes. It's like an MS Paint nightmare. Is there anyone that can help me out with finding a nice looking, smooth and simple texture pack?

Have you tried Sleekbuild?

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe
So my roommate and I run a local server, and upon starting a new world for 1.0.0, he spawned about 1500 away from spawn, and I spawned around 500 away from spawn in the other direction. What gives?

VVV: We used beds to fix it, I'll destroy the beds and test dying tomorrow.

SIr_Lienad fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 6, 2011

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

SIr_Lienad posted:

So my roommate and I run a local server, and upon starting a new world for 1.0.0, he spawned about 1500 away from spawn, and I spawned around 500 away from spawn in the other direction. What gives?

When rejoining are you at different spawns again?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Jelly posted:

If Joseph needs anything for his dream coat, I can probably help.
(still under expansion)

Is there any good reason to keep them separated? I threw all of them in one big pen for a daily grain orgy, and they seem to just be randomly popping out more than enough color variation.

Are pigs extra good at escaping? I have an escape-proof pen, and more than half of my piglets are either escaping or ceasing to exist. I haven't seen any babies wandering around the farm, but at one point I would up with one lone pig after breeding for days.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

criscodisco posted:

Are pigs extra good at escaping? I have an escape-proof pen, and more than half of my piglets are either escaping or ceasing to exist. I haven't seen any babies wandering around the farm, but at one point I would up with one lone pig after breeding for days.

It could be that a new one is spawning after a while.

Edit: or I might be reading what you're saying wrong

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

criscodisco posted:

Is there any good reason to keep them separated?
Who let you into this thread? I though having OCD was a prerequisite for Minecraft.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Launchtrailer for Minecraft on Xbox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ37aH7s16U
YEP THATS MY GAME

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Dongattack posted:

YEP THATS MY GAME

This was the worst teaser trailer ever. It's just a few short Minecraft clips with no indication that it's on Xbox whatsoever apart from far too many short clips of a bunch of nerds jostling on a sofa while one holds a controller.

Even a pixel art Xbox logo would have been better.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Dongattack posted:

YEP THATS MY GAME

Oh god I can't stop laughing.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh that's cute, they want us to think that the mojang team was actually working.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

The comments are amazing.

"TIME FOR A VACATION"

Also, YEP, THAT'S MY GAME :allears:

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

MikeJF posted:

Have you tried Sleekbuild?

Thank you! Wow, this is just sex.

Also, that new minecraft xbox trailer. I don't know what's so bad about it. You are all just too scared to admit that Notch is adorable :colbert:.

THAT'S MY GAME

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Vib Rib posted:

I really don't like these guys. Their public videos amount to "how shameless and annoying can we be to strangers?"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think its an appropriate time to post this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33vL0zkT0s

Right, because humor isn't funny unless said people are willing participants :D

=============================================

Also

*Sound of keyboards*
*lovely versioon of MC*
*Fist pump*
*Profit*

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
"Alright, time to start a hardcore game using this seed I was randomly given."

"This looks fun, I guess. Only two trees that I can see. I'll just go chop down the closest one."

"Crap."

It didn't even drop saplings.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
This wjat happens when you plan your entire existence around a procedural algorithm :ohdear:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

If you've got something like this anywhere on the edge of your field, they'll eventually escape:

code:
+ = fence
X = block

++
XX+++++
XXXXXXX
Since they can walk on the block the fences are on, at edges like that, they can jump from the upper block edge onto the top of the lower fence, and off they go.

This will contain them better:

code:
+++
XX+++++
XXXXXXX

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I won't lie... gonna buy that on XBLA on day one. Currently, I don't use mods, so I won't mind them not being in the game.

EDIT: vvv True, same here, I suppose. I think they said it would.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 6, 2011

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Does anyone know if the xbla version will have multiplayer? This is literally what will determine whether or not I buy it.

edit:
It apparently has "cross-platform playability with the PC version." So I'm guessing you'll be able to connect to PC servers. Cool.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 6, 2011

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I'm confused, why would anyone who already has the PC version buy the Xbox version? Even if you don't use mods? Are you people telling me you don't even use texture packs? And if you have a 360 you can just use the 360 controller on your loving PC.

I just... don't get it.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

ChewyLSB posted:

I'm confused, why would anyone who already has the PC version buy the Xbox version? Even if you don't use mods? Are you people telling me you don't even use texture packs? And if you have a 360 you can just use the 360 controller on your loving PC.

I just... don't get it.

Well most people will be getting it for free (if you bought Minecraft PC during beta, Notch is legally obligated to give you all future versions); I don't think anyone is going to actually buy it.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Narciss posted:

Well most people will be getting it for free (if you bought Minecraft PC during beta, Notch is legally obligated to give you all future versions); I don't think anyone is going to actually buy it.

Is that actually true? I'm sure he's "legally obligated" to provide all future PC support, but who says that has to include the xbox version?

Plus, even if it is true...how in the hell would that work? I guess maybe you'd have to get a promo code from minecraft.net or something? Otherwise how would the xbox know you're supposed to get the copy of the game for free, versus a "new" player who's supposed to pay?

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Narciss posted:

Except that the two posts before mine literally said that they're going to buy it despite already owning the PC version, which is why I'm confused.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I like playing stuff while connected to XBL, I guess. I rarely feel like sitting down at my computer to play anything. Much prefer the couch for games.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

ChewyLSB posted:

I just... don't get it.

I'm considering it. It'd be nice to play Minecraft on a TV screen, in the main family room, as opposed to my PC monitor in the office. Yeah, I know I could probably hook up the PC to the TV, but that'd be a pain in the rear end, since I'd have to lug the PC and all it's associated components into the living room, etc...

Plus it'll be easier to let my son play without having to worry about him maybe accidently exiting the game and start mucking up stuff on my computer.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

ChewyLSB posted:

I just... don't get it.

• my laptop is 11" while my tv is 40"
• my laptop is on a desk whereas my TV is next to a comfortable couch

But mostly,

• notch can't code for poo poo and minecraft chugs / crashes nonstop on my laptop

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Its kind of funny to me that you people are saying "Man it'll be awesome to play Minecraft on a huge TV Screen!!!" when Minecraft has a piece of poo poo resolution that'll only look worse the bigger the screen you're playing on. Not to mention hooking up a Laptop/PC to a Television (especially if you have a laptop) is not really a hard thing to do which would also allow you to play on your "comfortable couch" (hint: get better desk chairs).

And I'm not sure why you think Minecraft on the Xbox is going to crash any less than Minecraft on the PC.

It just blows me away that you're willing to deal with Minecraft's ugly rear end default textures. I personally don't use mods either but it never even entered my mind to get the XBox 360 version of Minecraft.

I guess I'm the stupid one, though, since I seem to be the only one who thinks this way.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Don't forget that Microsoft only allows a few free updates for XBL games, before the developer has to start charging for updates.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

ChewyLSB posted:

Its kind of funny to me that you people are saying "Man it'll be awesome to play Minecraft on a huge TV Screen!!!" when Minecraft has a piece of poo poo resolution that'll only look worse the bigger the screen you're playing on. Not to mention hooking up a Laptop/PC to a Television (especially if you have a laptop) is not really a hard thing to do which would also allow you to play on your "comfortable couch" (hint: get better desk chairs).

And I'm not sure why you think Minecraft on the Xbox is going to crash any less than Minecraft on the PC.

It just blows me away that you're willing to deal with Minecraft's ugly rear end default textures. I personally don't use mods either but it never even entered my mind to get the XBox 360 version of Minecraft.

I guess I'm the stupid one, though, since I seem to be the only one who thinks this way.

I dunno, didn't a seperate team from Microsoft or something code the Xbox version? If so, then presumably they optimized it for the xbox.

Also: you're talking about "resolution" for a game like Minecraft? I don't know about you, but I don't play Minecraft for it's mind-blowing graphics...

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Shnakepup posted:

I dunno, didn't a seperate team from Microsoft or something code the Xbox version? If so, then presumably they optimized it for the xbox.

I have literally not followed anything about Minecraft XBox 360 because I figured "Why would I want to play Minecraft without texture packs/possible mod support". I thought everyone else thought that way too.

Shnakepup posted:

Also: you're talking about "resolution" for a game like Minecraft? I don't know about you, but I don't play Minecraft for it's mind-blowing graphics...

Uhhh... did you read my post at all? Thats literally exactly what I was saying. Whether you play on a 40" HDTV or a 12" laptop screen it would actually probably look worse on the HDTV because it'll be huge and ugly as gently caress. I was refuting people saying "MINECRAFT ON A TV SCREEN WILL BE AWESOME".

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

ChewyLSB posted:

The simplistic aliased textures fit the simplistic aliased world. Having super detailed textures applied to a bunch of cubes is just plain silly, to me.

You probably wouldn't 'get' Picasso's work, either. Not that I'm holding up Minecraft to anywhere near his level (it isn't). It's just that requiring photorealism in games is a very simplistic mindset, and it's possible to have a visually enjoyable world that doesn't have 'super hi-def' everything.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Goreld posted:

The simplistic aliased textures fit the simplistic aliased world. Having super detailed textures applied to a bunch of cubes is just plain silly, to me.

You probably wouldn't 'get' Picasso's work, either. Not that I'm holding up Minecraft to anywhere near his level (it isn't). It's just that requiring photorealism in games is a very simplistic mindset, and it's possible to have a visually enjoyable world that doesn't have 'super hi-def' everything.
What makes you think that people are all using HD textures? I'm using a texture pack at the default resolution, and it looks miles better. It looks better because the default Minecraft art is complete poo poo.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
E: Basically what elysiume said.

Goreld posted:

I forgot HD Texture packs are the only texture packs that exist, and not packs that replace Minecraft's loving terrible default art.

Also, lol, that comparison. Yeah, you're right, because I think Minecraft's default art looks like complete butt I think every game requires photorealism. You got it right! I guess that makes me an uncultured gently caress that can't appreciate Picasso!!!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You plebs probably don't "get" art.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

ChewyLSB posted:

I was refuting people saying "MINECRAFT ON A TV SCREEN WILL BE AWESOME".

Ah, I see. Yeah, I don't really care about how it'll look. Playing it on a TV screen will be nicer, I think, it terms of just the experience, but it certainly isn't going to look any better.

ChewyLSB posted:

I have literally not followed anything about Minecraft XBox 360 because I figured "Why would I want to play Minecraft without texture packs/possible mod support". I thought everyone else thought that way too.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Minecraft runs on Java, which I don't think they could make run on the Xbox very easily, so they had a seperate team brought it to re-code the game essentially from scratch. Thus it'll pretty much look and work exactly the same, but it'll be running on a different framework. And thus why I'm hopefully that it won't be a buggy mess.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Goreld posted:

I'm cool with low detail stuff but come on man, jaggies are loving awful no matter where they are. You can't make those better with a good artist or clever design. They're just bad, always.

The game needs anisotropic filtering and AA, bad. It's so bad it even gets texture banding, which is just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Don't forget that Microsoft only allows a few free updates for XBL games, before the developer has to start charging for updates.

Uh, you got that backwards. It's a few free updates until Microsoft starts charging the developer, not the developer charging you.