Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Japan has a lot more emphasis on portable gaming then America, and in turn have more requests for "bite-sized" missions that you can pick up and play quickly during a train ride or such. Sort of like Smart Phone gaming.
Yeah but they already have a million franchises like that! Why did VC have to become one of them?

edit: yeah I know its just a rhetorical question: everyone wants their franchise to be more like a moneymaker franchise (I'm sure Sega was looking at Monster Hunter same as everyone else), regardless of what it was before.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Code Jockey posted:

Y'know what I wish VC had? The ability to group together multiple units to move/attack/act in unison.

There've been a few times where there's been, say, a blind corner with a few units behind it, and marching ONE unit at a time around the corner is basically suicide [and I can't easily chuck a grenade around or get a tank over there or w/e]

If I could charge like 3-4 troopers around the corner and concentrate fire that would be awesome.

You can actually do that with one of the new special abilities of one of the main characters in VC3. Only works for that one guy and 2 followers, but hero abilities are one of the few interesting innovations of 3 (which I haven't played).

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Rinkles posted:

You can actually do that with one of the new special abilities of one of the main characters in VC3. Only works for that one guy and 2 followers, but hero abilities are one of the few interesting innovations of 3 (which I haven't played).

And Sega isn't even going to bother releasing it over here. It's a drat fun series to play despite everything else about it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Okay I looked up some gameplay footage of VC and by god it shot up right to the top of my To Buy list. It really does remind me a lot of X-Com, sans Chryssalids.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

There are only three abilities like that in the game: that following thing, the Alicia equivalent can turn into a Valkyrian for one turn (not the enemy phase though), and what's her name can use a powerful attack on every enemy on the screen at once. The only one I use regularly is that last one, it's absolutely insane.

Maybe I'll play VC3 again someday (I have the digital version after all which means I own it FOR EVER) but I have to go in KNOWING that I will be fighting on the same stages over and over again for what feels like hours and hours on end.

edit: ^^^ precisely. It's like a simplified version of the combat part of X-Com. It doesn't have any serious planning or anything though, other than upgrading your equipment and training your people, of which there really aren't any important decisions to make.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 6, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Okay I looked up some gameplay footage of VC and by god it shot up right to the top of my To Buy list. It really does remind me a lot of X-Com, sans Chryssalids.

Interestingly, the creators of the original X-Com actually said that their original (and sadly cancelled - I think the title was The Dreamland Chronicles: Freedom Ridge) plans to take the genre into 3D actually looked a lot like Valkyria Chronicles.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

It's sad to think had the game been released on PC as well, it may have found a sustainable western audience.

Sanders posted:

Maybe I'll play VC3 again someday (I have the digital version after all which means I own it FOR EVER) but I have to go in KNOWING that I will be fighting on the same stages over and over again for what feels like hours and hours on end.
I remember the downtrodden feeling from map repetition hour after hour, which was made all the worse with the necessary grinding. Another game (even if grinding is downplayed) with that windmill/bridge map might be lethal. It's the one thing about VC3 that sounds like a major let down (outside of it being on PSP)

e:

Dominic White posted:

Here's the quote

"It was quite an ambitious project – the closest thing I can relate it to is probably Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3. We had a third-person camera view behind your character with a bar representing your Action Points, which went down as you moved.

When you went into shooting mode it went into a first-person view and you could select snap shots or aimed shots, which altered the size of an aiming circle on screen. So you did the shooting from that view, and went back to the third-person view to move your characters. In fact, when I first played Valkyria Chronicles it was quite eerie because it was a very similar system to what we had with Dreamland."

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 6, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah but they already have a million franchises like that! Why did VC have to become one of them?

edit: yeah I know its just a rhetorical question: everyone wants their franchise to be more like a moneymaker franchise (I'm sure Sega was looking at Monster Hunter same as everyone else), regardless of what it was before.

Well, even beyond that, recall that VC wasn't really a success. The developers have said the only reason the sequel got made is because the anime was popular, not the original game. A lot of the tone changes to the game were made because they were trying to figure out what appealed to the anime audience. The anime adaptation being pretty different from the game while telling the same story. The anime was also more popular with female viewers while the game's fanbase was primarily male.

So you have a franchise which is popular because of a spinoff television show and can't afford a PS3 development budget. The end result is a PSP game with a pretty different feel.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 6, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Well, even beyond that, recall that VC wasn't really a success. The developers have literally said the only reason the sequel got made is because the anime was popular, not the original game. A lot of the tone changes to the game were made because they were trying to figure out what appeared to the anime audience. (The anime adaptation being pretty different from the game while telling the same story.)
God drat it why did you have to remind me.

You know, over on 2ch and stuff all they do is complain about games being made more anime-like too.

edit: I guess it's pretty ironic to be saying that about a game that was already about a 8.9 on the anime scale to start with, but it's true.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 6, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Here's the quote

"It was quite an ambitious project – the closest thing I can relate it to is probably Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3. We had a third-person camera view behind your character with a bar representing your Action Points, which went down as you moved.

When you went into shooting mode it went into a first-person view and you could select snap shots or aimed shots, which altered the size of an aiming circle on screen. So you did the shooting from that view, and went back to the third-person view to move your characters. In fact, when I first played Valkyria Chronicles it was quite eerie because it was a very similar system to what we had with Dreamland."

Holy crap that would've been awesome.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Without particularly enlightening commentary, here's a 1up quick look at the PS3 version of Nino Kuni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ5rUC4S8kc

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Without particularly enlightening commentary, here's a 1up quick look at the PS3 version of Nino Kuni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ5rUC4S8kc

Gametrailers has a video preview too. The game looks good, but i'm not so sure about the combat. I'm getting tired of the typical Japanese RPG combat systems.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I believe, like in most JRPGs, combat is the bulk of the game. The system looks reminiscent of White Knight Chronicles, which isn't appealing.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
The only way I'd buy Ni No Kuni is if the original hand-drawn cutscenes are still in it. From what I've seen they've all been converted over to the in-game engine. Personally, I think that's pretty insulting to the original animators, and it loses quite a bit of charm. I mean, who the hell gets rid of GHIBLI animation?!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

I believe, like in most JRPGs, combat is the bulk of the game. The system looks reminiscent of White Knight Chronicles, which isn't appealing.
I've been reading positive comments about it over in Japan, but too vague to make a purchase decision based on. And yeah, I might be burned out on traditional JRPG tropes too. How are they supposed to compete with things like Dark Souls (or Skyrim for that matter) anyway?

I mean, unless they are going to be the kind of turn-based RPG where you have to think like a motherfucker about every move you make, I'm always up for one like that. This sure doesn't look like that kind of game though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

^^^I'd love to have a Japanese RPG infused with western open world, sandbox sensibilities.

Hatter106 posted:

The only way I'd buy Ni No Kuni is if the original hand-drawn cutscenes are still in it. From what I've seen they've all been converted over to the in-game engine. Personally, I think that's pretty insulting to the original animators, and it loses quite a bit of charm. I mean, who the hell gets rid of GHIBLI animation?!

There's both original animation and in-engine cutscenes. I think the original announcement about dumping Ghibli's work must've been a mistranslation.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 6, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I remember the downtrodden feeling from map repetition hour after hour, which was made all the worse with the necessary grinding. Another game (even if grinding is downplayed) with that windmill/bridge map might be lethal. It's the one thing about VC3 that sounds like a major let down (outside of it being on PSP)

The grinding and repetition of VC2 is what made me install custom firmware on my PSP, just so I can use cheats.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

^^^I'd love to have a Japanese RPG infused with western open world, sandbox sensibilities.
What parts of JRPG would you propose keeping then? I've been thinking over it myself and I can't really think of anything I would like to keep from them, other than possibly music by people like Motoi Sakuraba and such. I mean, unless you consider turn-based combat to be part of JRPG-ness.

edit: vvv you're absolutely right, the Japanese have a word for it now, "chuunibyou", or eighth grade disease. They're getting tired of it over there too, but Japanese companies seem way worse at responding to changes in market trends than here in the US.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 6, 2011

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I used to LOVE JRPGs when I was young and would play and enjoy any of them but these days I can't stand 'em. I just assumed they were always made to appeal to the 13-year-old demographic and it was something (most) people grew out of.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

What parts of JRPG would you propose keeping then? I've been thinking over it myself and I can't really think of anything I would like to keep from them, other than possibly music by people like Motoi Sakuraba and such. I mean, unless you consider turn-based combat to be part of JRPG-ness.

It's a good question. I'm a fan of turn based combat, though not necessarily of the typical JRPG variety. Fallout 1/2's lack of battle transitions with the combat mechanics of Jagged Alliance 2 (and the persistent world of the former) is probably my dream RPG setup. That said, there's always room for variety, and I firmly believe there's a lot of untapped potential for evolving the Wizardry-based, static party battles of traditional JRPGs. How exactly? I don't know at the moment. But when I'm playing some these games I often feel like they're on the verge of something great, but there's never really been one I've been entirely satisfied with (that said, I'm mostly a western gamer, and haven't played all that many JRPGs, so my exposure's rather limited). A wizardry-like party system in an open world framework might also lead to something very interesting.

Outside of that, the allure of the JRPG consists in large part in the idiosyncratic creativity of the Japanese. In the unique settings and stories they create. Square and the likes often go overboard, and have a penchant for the melodramatic (seriously, is this a cultural thing, or are the writers at Square entirely oblivious hacks?), but they can still take us interesting places.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Outside of that, the allure of the JRPG consists in large part in the idiosyncratic creativity of the Japanese. In the unique settings and stories they create. Square and the likes often go overboard, and have a penchant for the melodramatic (seriously, is this a cultural thing, or are the writers at Square entirely oblivious hacks?), but they can still take us interesting places.
I'd actually say the reverse, and that melodrama is a worldwide thing and is disfavored in America in particular. They say that Hollywood created the happy ending, at least the expectation of it.

And I guess I would argue that JRPGs have unique settings and stories...compared to some arbitrary other kind of story. They're all about the same as each other though.

edit: 2ch had an interesting complaint about FF13: it uses too much made-up vocabulary, fal'cie and l'cies and so on. That's on top of all the same complaints people all over the world have about 13, anyway.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 6, 2011

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have been mulling over my Limited Edition case for Castlevania Lords of Shadow and considering playing it again. Upon retrospect, I found it kind of enjoyable and interesting in all the different locales that the game takes you through. Im just sad that they woefully underused Jason Isaacs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'd actually say the reverse, and that melodrama is a worldwide thing and is disfavored in America in particular. They say that Hollywood created the happy ending, at least the expectation of it.

And I guess I would argue that JRPGs have unique settings and stories...compared to some arbitrary other kind of story. They're all about the same as each other though.

Final Fantasy's all have good endings - which I guess you could qualify as distinct from happy endings. The problem is their prolonged lingering on the brooding of characters. Again, I said melodrama, not drama in general. There's a fairly thick line between the two, and there's no question about where most of Square's stories lie.

And, yes, JRPGs are unique to themselves, but not so much among themselves. I guess it's more a flavor of story.

Kly posted:

I used to LOVE JRPGs when I was young and would play and enjoy any of them but these days I can't stand 'em. I just assumed they were always made to appeal to the 13-year-old demographic and it was something (most) people grew out of.

Funny, I exclusively played western cRPGs until a few years ago (with some action games on consoles). Of course :pcgaming: is the superior form of entertainment, Fallout 2 is the pinnacle of gaming that shall not be dethroned and so on, but I was always intrigued by JRPGs - having never had access to many console games as a kid - and mostly enjoyed what I now have played. I haven't really analyzed what it is like about them in more detail, but I think it's more than just a time sink for teenage escapism.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PlayStation Plus stuff for December

A truckload of full games coming this month, not many particularly good. Tomb Raider: Underworld, Marvel Pinball, and the Spyro PS1 trilogy as freebies. Some good discounts.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Are the lot of you going to renew your PlayStation+ subscriptions?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

whip posted:

Are the lot of you going to renew your PlayStation+ subscriptions?

I will. I've enjoyed some of the free games, and I've gotten my money's worth out of the discounts. I would at least consider renewing on the strength of all the automation/cloud stuff alone, though: I love turning on my machine to find out that it downloaded this or that patch already and uploaded my new save games or profile information to the cloud. (God that sounds sad.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

With all the discounts I'm getting with PS+, it's basically paid for itself at this point. So I'll probably re-sub

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

For anyone looking to renew and doesn't check SA Mart:

$30 1 Year PSN+ Subscription

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Harlock posted:

For anyone looking to renew and doesn't check SA Mart:

$30 1 Year PSN+ Subscription

Before anyone clicks and gets disappointed, US only. Doesn't work on Canadian accounts.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Before anyone clicks and gets disappointed, US only.

Not really an issue, as you can make a US PSN account in about two minutes, and while you may pay a couple dollars surcharge if you're buying points cards online to fill it, it's still a saving compared to buying straight from the UK/EU stores.

KimchiHead
Jan 10, 2004

What do you guys think of Heavy Rain? It sounds like a unique enough experience that I could overlook that it's mostly not for gameplay.

From what I gather, it seems like most people have not even come close to seeing all the endings. Why is that? I figure you could just start from a savepoint and do something different to see another ending. Do you have to start the entire game over or something?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

KimchiHead posted:

What do you guys think of Heavy Rain? It sounds like a unique enough experience that I could overlook that it's mostly not for gameplay.

From what I gather, it seems like most people have not even come close to seeing all the endings. Why is that? I figure you could just start from a savepoint and do something different to see another ending. Do you have to start the entire game over or something?

It's good for a playthrough, at the very least. If you can find it cheap or rent it, it's definitely worth it.

Most people don't replay it because the killer is always the same person, and that kinda takes away from the drama of the game if you already know whodunit.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

KimchiHead posted:

What do you guys think of Heavy Rain?

Do you like thrillers? Se7en? Then Heavy Rain is at the very least worth a rental.

I really enjoyed it, because even though it's almost an interactive movie more than a traditional game, but the music, characters and 'Whodunnit?' plot is a really unique approach to games. It's basically all controlled through quick time events but it's not instant failure if you screw up as there's multiple outcomes to scenes.

I've played through it twice, once by myself and a second time with my friends, who were passing around a controller every chapter and were utterly engrossed by what was happening. It's really interesting to see the amount of choices you can make to affect the story a swell, but through more multiple play-throughs you'll start to understand how each section branches to/affects another, much like reading a choose your own adventure from start to finish.

The music is great too, with really somber piano themes and a tinge of sadness.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The dialog was a turn-off for me though, I dunno if it is a translation issue or what but it was just WEIRD at times.

edit: just in general, given that the game is French as hell it would have been more interesting for me if it was in French and was set in France. But I guess they wanted to copy a Hollywood movie...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 6, 2011

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

KimchiHead posted:

It's good for one playthrough, yes. I thought it was a very different, interesting game.

The reason you can't just start a save somewhere is because story decisions happen the entire game, with a bunch of different characters in their own respective part of the story, that decide the various parts of the ending. There's no "At the end, if you do A, then B will happen; or if you do X, then Y will happen." If you "mess up" a section, you don't lose the game and it doesn't start you over at the most recent checkpoint - the story keeps going and is affected by your failure or success of a bunch of different parts of the story. Did you cause a main character to die? Did you solve a riddle in time/correctly? Did you find that piece of evidence?

So, yeah, you pretty much have to start the game over each time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The other trouble is that every time you restart Heavy Rain, you notice more and more of the plotholes and stupid decisions. It loses its magic very, very fast.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Stelas posted:

The other trouble is that every time you restart Heavy Rain, you notice more and more of the plotholes and stupid decisions. It loses its magic very, very fast.

This is the main problem, although if you do all the endings it almost becomes laughable. You don't have to completely start over, but drat near for a few of them. Its story branches are much like a tree's, and the closer to the end you get, the more branches there are, so as you go through the endings you can play less and less of the game basically. Renting it and just beating it once and accepting that ending would probably be best, unless you need to know "what if?" or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Not really an issue, as you can make a US PSN account in about two minutes, and while you may pay a couple dollars surcharge if you're buying points cards online to fill it, it's still a saving compared to buying straight from the UK/EU stores.

That doesn't help anyone who already has Plus though.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

:siren:Attention UK Goons:siren:

Play.com is currently selling Deus Ex Human Revolution on PS3 for £9.99 with free postage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

MUFFlNS posted:

:siren:Attention UK Goons:siren:

Play.com is currently selling Deus Ex Human Revolution on PS3 for £9.99 with free postage!

Amazon has inexplicably had it for ~£11 for a while now. Did it sell a lot, not enough, or is there a problem with it for PS3 because that's just dirt cheap really soon.

• Locked thread