Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Install Gentoo posted:

Uh, you got that backwards. It's a few free updates until Microsoft starts charging the developer, not the developer charging you.

Honestly though, how often does the fee not just get passed down to the consumer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Polo-Rican posted:

Does anyone know if the xbla version will have multiplayer? This is literally what will determine whether or not I buy it.

edit:
It apparently has "cross-platform playability with the PC version." So I'm guessing you'll be able to connect to PC servers. Cool.

Sweet. Maybe I can get my buddy to finally sperg with me now :smith:

Laptop hook up is stupid easy... dunno why you wouldn't do it already if you want to play on a TV. I do it every now and then and it actually looks pretty good provided you use an HDMI and not an S-cable.

As for couch, I've been using my laptop on my couch for ages now and using the cushiopn as my mouse pad so maybe I'm just weird but it's not that hard.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I do think it'd be neat if the Xbox version was able to look through your pictures library, so if you uploaded a texture map on there, it could use it.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Launchtrailer for Minecraft on Xbox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ37aH7s16U
YEP THATS MY GAME

This is from a page or two back, but DAMNIT! I've been avoiding watching this gay trailer and then my OCD for clicking on links Goons post kicks in and, "You linked me to it!" :gonk:

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Minecraft Pocket Edition is a dime right now on the Android Market. Jeb has said that it will be updated to have survival in it so I'm picking it up with hopes that it'll become more than just creative. But for a dime, who cares?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mojang.minecraftpe&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5tb2phbmcubWluZWNyYWZ0cGUiXQ..

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'd buy the iOS version in a heartbeat for one or two dollars. But the current price can go such a dick. I hope I some day can get to play Minecraft on my iPad, though. I need the game, even if it's just going to sit in my massive backlog.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002

Iacen posted:

I'd buy the iOS version in a heartbeat for one or two dollars. But the current price can go such a dick. I hope I some day can get to play Minecraft on my iPad, though. I need the game, even if it's just going to sit in my massive backlog.

I'd pay the $6 if it had SMP and could connect to my normal server.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Honestly though, how often does the fee not just get passed down to the consumer?

It's difficult for a developer to charge you for patches after you've already bought the game.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

PalmTreeFun posted:

Alright young grasshopper, listen up.

:aaaaa:

Thank you so much. I'll post a before and after when I get home. I managed to import in a place where the height differences weren't as bad, but it'd still be a lot of work to do that by hand.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Has anybody messed around extensively with potions? The potions flowchart seems needlessly complex with awkward and strange potions or whatever.

So far both potions and enchanting are pretty underwhelming.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wish potions had either been totally randomized per world so that you had to discover the ideal recipes on your own through experimentation, or that the recipes were less nebulous.
It feels really goddamn weird to have these bizarre, pre-set sort of weird potion recipes that somehow also remove all need for experimentation.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

messagemode1 posted:

Has anybody messed around extensively with potions? The potions flowchart seems needlessly complex with awkward and strange potions or whatever.

The one thing I'll say in favor of potions is that making every potion shootable was a good move. And basic heal potions are pretty reasonable on your resources.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Maybe somebody can help me here. I've been using the Quandary texture pack in 1.8, but haven't seen anything about it for 1.0. Has anybody seen an updated Quandary floating around?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

messagemode1 posted:

I just sperged out about it in my potion brewing room, and managed to whittle down the flow chart into 10 signs worth of info. Basically everything you'd ever want to make starts with a mundane potion, or can be reached through a potion made with a mundane potion, except for one single thing.

There's really no need to use glowstone or redstone dust for anything other than strengthening/extending other potions, the base potions they make are mostly useless.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Also I figured out the hard way that glowstone and redstone cancel each other out. Unfortunately you can't make a Speed II potion that lasts 8 minutes.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I'm a little late to the post, but someone said you can use an Xbox controller to play on the PC?

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

This is a proper, well made trailer. No "Yep that's my game :downs:"

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Hey Boat, the link to your MaximumMinecraft thing in the OP is broken. I had to use the one in your forum signature.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009

rarbatrol posted:

Maybe somebody can help me here. I've been using the Quandary texture pack in 1.8, but haven't seen anything about it for 1.0. Has anybody seen an updated Quandary floating around?

Search for "Quandary Ancient Roots", that's my go-to.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I've just downloaded Spoutcraft to play Minecraft. Can't I transfer my worlds over?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Someone posted in the Steam thread that the Android version of Minecraft is ten cents today. S'truth. It's worth about that much, but it's a decent benchmark of your device's 3D ability and I guess if you want CMP without redstone it's the way to go.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
I got it because hey it's 10 cents. Using real money its like 9 cents. If I dropped 10 cents and it rolled away from me I probably wouldn't bother to pick it up.

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

Why don't you make like a tree, and FUCK OFF?

Slickdrac posted:

I'm a little late to the post, but someone said you can use an Xbox controller to play on the PC?

It doesn't have native support yet I believe. I hope it'll be patched in later, since I have my gaming PC hooked up to my TV.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

Hey Boat, the link to your MaximumMinecraft thing in the OP is broken. I had to use the one in your forum signature.

Yeah, the free hosting from my ISP that I never used ever suddenly decided it wasn't going to exist anymore after I finally started using it after having it for 7 years. :argh:

Anyhow, I can't update the op, so I've poked Schweinhund about it. Thanks for the heads-up.

⇩ ⇩ :c00l::hf::cool: ⇩ ⇩

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 7, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
fixed

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Braggo posted:

Minecraft Pocket Edition is a dime right now on the Android Market. Jeb has said that it will be updated to have survival in it so I'm picking it up with hopes that it'll become more than just creative. But for a dime, who cares?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mojang.minecraftpe&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5tb2phbmcubWluZWNyYWZ0cGUiXQ..

It says that it's not compatible with my Virgin Mobile LGE VM670. Should I get it anyway, in hopes of compatibility later on?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Sun Dog posted:

It says that it's not compatible with my Virgin Mobile LGE VM670. Should I get it anyway, in hopes of compatibility later on?

I'd criticize you for having such difficulty with making a 10 cent decision, but then again, this is the Minecraft thread

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Sun Dog posted:

You should know that if you buy it now and happen to get an Android tablet or a better phone, you won't have to re-buy Minecraft at whatever price it might be then. It's less than a postage stamp, so why not?

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

redmercer posted:

You should know that if you buy it now and happen to get an Android tablet or a better phone, you won't have to re-buy Minecraft at whatever price it might be then. It's less than a postage stamp, so why not?

Yeah, good point. What was I thinking? :P

Done.

Edit: Drat. It won't let me purchase it. :mad:

Sun Dog fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 7, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

redmercer posted:

Postage stamps? The correct analogy for purchases under $5 should be cheeseburgers! I literally do not know how much a postage stamp costs because I haven't had to send a physical letter in years and every time I do I just borrow a stamp from someone who has a bookfull :v:

I'm a bit late on this, but I'm glad Jeb/Jens? is working on Minecraft now. They always seemed like the more driven and accomplished programmer, so we might see a return to more regular interesting updates :unsmith:

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm a bit late on this, but I'm glad Jeb/Jens? is working on Minecraft now. They always seemed like the more driven and accomplished programmer, so we might see a return to more regular interesting updates :unsmith:

Assuming the game isn't accepted as 'done'. Good luck with those updates if that is the case, we'll be lucky to see an API that doesn't have a new price tag. Well, those of us who bought the alpha need worry not on that point, but that'll be cold comfort to the rest.

Still, Jeb's a good guy. If he truly has authority over the game, the best of possible outcomes seems more likely.

Since the "Minecraft Ending" and Yogscast fiascos, it seems pretty clear to me that Notch should just hand over the reigns and go play with his millions of dollars.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Snark posted:

Assuming the game isn't accepted as 'done'. Good luck with those updates if that is the case, we'll be lucky to see an API that doesn't have a new price tag. Well, those of us who bought the alpha need worry not on that point, but that'll be cold comfort to the rest.

Still, Jeb's a good guy. If he truly has authority over the game, the best of possible outcomes seems more likely.

Since the "Minecraft Ending" and Yogscast fiascos, it seems pretty clear to me that Notch should just hand over the reigns and go play with his millions of dollars.

The API will be in 1.1 and will be free.

It was never in notch's plans to charge for stuff like that so I don't know why you seem so sure that they will.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Snark posted:

Honestly, I respect Notch some just for getting the game this far.
If I made a million dollars off of a project like this, I don't know if I'd have the integrity not to retire right there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Braggo posted:

Goddamnit, you can't buy it without a compatible phone. I'm planning on upgrading soon. :(

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe I'm out of touch, but it feels a little bit lovely that a game that makes thousands of dollars every day isn't paying a professional translation company to translate what little text it contains.

Surely that's not going to result in terribly high quality translations for many languages.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chalks posted:

Maybe I'm out of touch, but it feels a little bit lovely that a game that makes thousands of dollars every day isn't paying a professional translation company to translate what little text it contains.

Surely that's not going to result in terribly high quality translations for many languages.

The community is going to do the translations? How indie and heartwarming. :allears:

capslocksaurus
Mar 13, 2009

YOU DUMB SHIT

Chalks posted:

I was pretty baffled as well, especially since I signed up as a translator (I clearly have too much free time) and got in incredibly easily.

And if they want to trust the fanbase fine, good for them, but I haven't been able to edit the thing for the past twenty minutes as it's linked publicly and getting ridiculously high traffic :doh:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Where can I find some MCEdit schematics for simple to extravagant dungeons to place in my multiplayer world? I only really found the Vech's pack which is cool but I want more.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

capslocksaurus posted:

I was pretty baffled as well, especially since I signed up as a translator (I clearly have too much free time) and got in incredibly easily.

And if they want to trust the fanbase fine, good for them, but I haven't been able to edit the thing for the past twenty minutes as it's linked publicly and getting ridiculously high traffic :doh:

Minecraft made minecraft made £137,856.86 today in sales. It boggles the mind where the hell this money is going if they can't afford a team of professional translators for a couple of months to do it right.

This sort of thing works great for indie devs who have to work on a shoestring, but it's as if someone needs to tap jeb on the shoulder and tell him that he basically has infinity budget so he should do things right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Minecraft seems to have an incredibly small development team for how successful of a product it is. I mean for god's sakes their Community Manager is MinecraftChick right? And it seems to me like the development team is only a handful of developers. (although to be honest I'm not sure how many developers they have)