Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

well poo poo. I know I was able to join player's sessions after invading them with a different char and then I'd reliably get matched to their world over and over. Elysiume's session isn't showing up as joinable though... What SL are you? I'm 18 right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zizzyx posted:

well poo poo. I know I was able to join player's sessions after invading them with a different char and then I'd reliably get matched to their world over and over. Elysiume's session isn't showing up as joinable though... What SL are you? I'm 18 right now
14, which is within assisting range.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

DS works on a bunch of different servers so you guys may not be connected. If you don't see it, quit and restart until you do.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

DS works on a bunch of different servers so you guys may not be connected. If you don't see it, quit and restart until you do.
Honestly that's luck based at best as well. I figure if it doesn't work at first, give up so you don't spend 30 minutes trying to connect.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Well, it's unfortunate that the XBL system is so lame, but luckily another sunbro came along and we put the hurt on the Capra demon. Thanks for the attempt Ely

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
I used a balder shield + 5 and stone armor on him earlier along with just the drake sword (was using RoFaP and Havel's).

On humanity farming, I skipped the Depths aside from going in to grab a few things I needed (pyro trainer, spider shield, and the large ember). Later on when I need to farm humanity I'll do it off rats while in human form, farm some invaders too. I'll probably do Painted World first though, grab the dried finger.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

After realizing that the gaping dragon is optional, I think the depths gets way better as a farm spot since you can snag liquid humanity while you're farming green/large shards and solid humanity. Owns!

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Hooooly poo poo assisting at the Golem is lucrative. 20k souls a pop, right at the boss door so no invasion nonsense, for an easy boss. Awesome.

I'm only level 26 - I still get summoned for the gargoyles. I didn't expect to get anything, but I've already been summoned twice in 10 minutes. Not bad at all.

edit - unless the summoner dies instantly. That never helps.

Graviija fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 7, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Undead Burg experiences:
Fog door
Fog fades
Fog door
Fog fades
Fog door
Fog fades
Fog door
Fog fades
Fog door
Fog fades
Fog door
Fog fades

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Holy crap i just got an 11th liquid humanity from killing a butcher in the depths. this changes... everything

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Been sunbroing all day with lightning spear miracle and black knight greatsword, killed so many gargoyles. Had a bro help me with capra and gaping, but then I forgot to summon Soltaire for the dragon. Did I already gently caress myself for his questline? I had two other sunbros with me so I didn't even see the sign.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I know this is from pages and pages back, but drat that nails my experience. Still laughing, ouch.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I finally found someone who's legit griefing level 1. The beauty of the Dried Finger is they just keep invading you. :allears:

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Can someone interpret the "you can gain up to 10 humanity from killing monsters in an area where the boss is alive" mechanic for me? I just netted another liquid from killing a piddly red hollow, which brings me to 12 in the tank. This just owns.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I'm not too clear on it either. I also received a liquid humanity on an enemy kill when I already had 10 so either it means "you can receive ten in addition to what you already have" or they removed the restriction with the patch. I don't know what testing was done to discover any limit because the drop rate on liquid humanity was so pitifully low in 1.03 it would have taken an awful lot of farming to even get ten.

Now that I think about it liquid humanity drops in later areas seemed to be just as low as in 1.03, I think they only upped it for the first few areas. This isn't a problem, since late game you should be swimming in humanity.

Kongming fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 7, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So, uh, is there a bonfire in New Londo at all? Walking back to the Abyss from Firelink is getting old.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Rollersnake posted:

So, uh, is there a bonfire in New Londo at all? Walking back to the Abyss from Firelink is getting old.

Nope! It'd be drat hard to get a fire lit with how wet the place must be...

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rollersnake posted:

If you roll off the side of where those first two ghosts are, you only need to fight three Darkwraiths (and a handful of ghosts). You can run past all but the first Darkwraith pretty easily, too.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Well... that sucks. Valley of the Drakes shortcut isn't useful at all, is it? Pretty sure that takes you past more Darkwraiths and would take longer.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I feel like they intentionally made the most irritating boss fights also have an irritating trip to re-attempt them. In Lost Izalith you have to swap on your goddamn lava ring every time you spawn, just for the short gap of lava that will otherwise kill you. No point to it, just a bunch of buttons to spam every time you get swept into the pit.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Elysiume posted:

If you roll off the side of where those first two ghosts are, you only need to fight three Darkwraiths (and a handful of ghosts). You can run past all but the first Darkwraith pretty easily, too.

I noticed that, but it's still a bit of a pain. Lost 40,000 Souls here due to my own stupidity—first jumping into the abyss without the loving ring on, then trying to run past all the Darkwraiths on the way back (and running the wrong way!). I'd somehow made it through the whole game up to this point without losing a significant amount of souls anywhere—though I guess that would have only amounted to a level up and a couple large titanite shards.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kongming posted:

The only other alternative is that Seath somehow impregnated a human woman, and that is just gross.

Actually, that's sort of what I figured happened, considering she's considered an abomination and such. Maybe she's the daughter of one of those maidens Seath kidnapped before turning them into medusa-lamias?

That or Gwyn hosed a dragon or something and hid his shame in a painting.

Rollersnake posted:

Well... that sucks. Valley of the Drakes shortcut isn't useful at all, is it? Pretty sure that takes you past more Darkwraiths and would take longer.

If you just sprint from bonfire to the Four King's fog door, you shouldn't have to worry about Darkwraiths at all. Regarding the Darkroot Basin bonfire, I found it to be a minute faster than running from the Firelink Shrine bonfire. As long as you dodge all the enemies, you shouldn't take too much damage. The Fog Ring or Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring help if your having difficulty running past enemies, as they make you harder to detect and thus lower your agro range. Once you're in the fog door you can switch back to your regular ring (though you have to be careful/quick, cause the two ghosts can still attack through walls.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Rollersnake posted:

I noticed that, but it's still a bit of a pain. Lost 40,000 Souls here due to my own stupidity—first jumping into the abyss without the loving ring on, then trying to run past all the Darkwraiths on the way back (and running the wrong way!). I'd somehow made it through the whole game up to this point without losing a significant amount of souls anywhere—though I guess that would have only amounted to a level up and a couple large titanite shards.

Look up EpicNameBro's youtube channel for the 4King's fight he shows you how to run through without getting hit/fighting anyone to the boss. I did it as well and it worked like a charm at lvl 40 with medium encumbrance. Didn't even use a flip ring (dont have it)

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

if you want to be a real baller, leap off the cliff and put on your ring in midair

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Just went on a Dark Souls binge and did a challenge playthough. Suddenly it's two days later. The things I've seen and done. I killed the Hellkite in five swings of my sword. I've invaded on the invisible bridges in the Crystal Cave. I've learned ways around the game I had always missed before. Did you know the Taurus Demon is skippable? Have you ever seen someone kill three blue phantoms in one swing of his sword? I've learned how to dodge every attack, parry every enemy. And all without abusing excellent gear. I'm standing here in front of Gwyn's chamber elite knight set gleaming in the light, Zweihander and Grass Crest Shield at my side, he would be dead in seconds if I step through.

I have everything obtainable save the boss weapons. Can I really get them all with this character at a level I can still PvP at? Do I risk it?

Of course I do. This is Dark Souls, breathing is a risk.

I have reached enlightenment. I am the Dark Soul.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 7, 2011

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

On my current playthrough I beat taurus demon after the belfry gargoyles. I'm a big fan of the plasticity of the set path, and it's pretty clear with the Master Key that From did this all on purpose as a treat for experienced players starting new characters.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Big Hat and Traveling Boots, Moonlight Butterfly Horn in the left hand, Moonlight Greatsword in the right. I started messing around with it as a gimmick but drat, those who recommended something with a little reach in the off hand were on to something. People seem quite fond of the theme too, had a few prostration gestures at the start of a fight. Worshipin' at the Shrine of Big Hat.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Zizzyx posted:

On my current playthrough I beat taurus demon after the belfry gargoyles. I'm a big fan of the plasticity of the set path, and it's pretty clear with the Master Key that From did this all on purpose as a treat for experienced players starting new characters.

So you go into Blighttown the back way, up through the Depths, and from there to the lower Undead Burg?

Or to Undead Chapel and then Burg via Darkmoon Basin?

If you enter the Taurus Demon boss room the back way, does he jump down behind you when you cross to the spot on the bridge where the fight triggers?

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
So I just fought some little...ball thing with a summoned helper's white glow at the top of the Anor Londo cathedral. It have me a humanity when it died. All right then.

Anyway. Having a +3 Lightning Claymore at level 25 makes assisting against low-level bosses pretty fun (and funny). Maybe now I'll be able to take on some other low-level griefers on closer to equal footing.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rollersnake posted:

So you go into Blighttown the back way, up through the Depths, and from there to the lower Undead Burg?

Or to Undead Chapel and then Burg via Darkmoon Basin?

If you enter the Taurus Demon boss room the back way, does he jump down behind you when you cross to the spot on the bridge where the fight triggers?
You go down past Havel, past where the crystal golems are, up, and left. This brings you to the titanite demon. Then you're at Andre.

I imagine you could potentially go through Blighttown, but that would be awful. :stare:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I don't think you can get into the Depths from Blighttown, you need the key from Gaping Dragon to open the door.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

zachol posted:

I don't think you can get into the Depths from Blighttown, you need the key from Gaping Dragon to open the door.
Oh yeah, that'd be true. I thought there was an issue, but I forgot about that. Imagine going all the way through and getting to a locked door. :allears:

I started skipping Taurus so I have somewhere to invade bait. This way I don't need to slog through the rest of NG++ so I can chill in the Parish (even though I think low level invading is way more popular in the Parish).

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

I grabbed the Estoc and Fire Keeper's Soul, ran through Valley of the Drakes and came up into Darkroot Basin from below, took the Grass Crest Shield and Longbow, then used the blacksmith to upgrade my weapons to +5 before doing much of anything really. Additionally, coming through from that way allows you to unlock the depths and the portcullis below the hellkite without him even showing up. He won't appear until you approach the area he lands on in Undead Burgh.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Elysiume posted:

Oh yeah, that'd be true. I thought there was an issue, but I forgot about that. Imagine going all the way through and getting to a locked door. :allears:

I started skipping Taurus so I have somewhere to invade bait. This way I don't need to slog through the rest of NG++ so I can chill in the Parish (even though I think low level invading is way more popular in the Parish).

A locked door, with no warp. Your only exit is back in Blighttown.

Prepare to Die.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Was Anor Londo supposed to be a huge difficulty spike? Because I've gotten up to the boss door, and between that arrow bridge, the Silver Knights, the ambushes, the magic attacks, and the loving relentless Dark Phantoms, I'm just about at the end of my rope here. And I've heard enough horror stories about Ornstein and Smough already.

Also, the Black Eye Orb resonated but for some reason I can't use it. So, you know. That's awesome.

At least I finally got the Furyblade.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

the short answer is yes, and it's about to get harder when I hit SL 50 and start terrorizing people in that area specifically.

e: got my flip ring, and grabbed the washing pole in case i decide to do some SL120 pvp in the future. Only problem with the build I'm going for is the paucity of available weapons. Estoc and Shotel, luckily, are brutal.

Zizzyx fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 7, 2011

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Was Anor Londo supposed to be a huge difficulty spike? Because I've gotten up to the boss door, and between that arrow bridge, the Silver Knights, the ambushes, the magic attacks, and the loving relentless Dark Phantoms, I'm just about at the end of my rope here. And I've heard enough horror stories about Ornstein and Smough already.

Also, the Black Eye Orb resonated but for some reason I can't use it. So, you know. That's awesome.

At least I finally got the Furyblade.

Hm, well the Black Phantoms don't really have anything to do with Anor Londo, I guess a lot of people just want to PvP there today or something. Anyway, the Silver Knights aren't so bad, just wait a bit and you'll get the hang of fighting them, just remember that all their attacks are blockable.

As for the the Black Eye Orb you should totally be able to use it, are you using it when you're standing in the room outside Rosencrantz and Guildenstern? It won't work anywhere else.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Locomotive breath posted:

Hm, well the Black Phantoms don't really have anything to do with Anor Londo, I guess a lot of people just want to PvP there today or something. Anyway, the Silver Knights aren't so bad, just wait a bit and you'll get the hang of fighting them, just remember that all their attacks are blockable.

As for the the Black Eye Orb you should totally be able to use it, are you usint it when you're standing in the room outside Rosencrantz and Guildenstern? It won't work anywhere else.

If this is just the day when everyone decided to use Anor Londo as their private happy hunting ground, then I have to curse my luck. One dude turned an entire room into an inferno that dropped my health from full to nil. Another backstabbed me on the cathedral rafters. Heart in my loving mouth

It doesn't help that I've been deliberately accumulating Humanity in order to beef up the Furyblade, so every death has a huge risk attached. My +5 Raw Winged Spear just isn't doing it for me anymore.

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

Whoever recommended the Claw weapon, you have changed my life.

Granted, I did buy the Claw and then use one of those Man Centipede ripoffs in Blighttown to kill Shiva and then get the ninja bodyguard stuck in the wooden platforms, and if I ever actually take this character online I'm going to get eaten alive, but gently caress if flipping around and clawing things to death isn't the most fun thing I've done in this game. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Silver Knights are not only blockable but ridiculously easy to parry. It's like parrying 101. After going through Anor Londo you should be able to kill every Black Knight by chain parrying on a new character except maybe for the Greatsword one since I don't think you can parry some of the bigger attacks.

• Locked thread