Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SecondaryBattleTank
Dec 21, 2007

FEED ME CARROTS
I was having the same issue, but I figured out that the IRQ setting listed under the dosboxblood.conf and dosboxblooddw.conf files was listed as 5. However, during setup I had to set it as 7 due to some conflict. Changing the IRQ setting to 7 in the config files seems to have fixed it for me.

For me, the sound section of the config files looks like this:

quote:

# sbtype -- Type of sblaster to emulate:none,sb1,sb2,sbpro1,sbpro2,sb16.
# sbbase,irq,dma,hdma -- The IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA address of the soundblaster.
# mixer -- Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the DOSBox mixer.
# oplmode -- Type of OPL emulation: auto,cms,opl2,dualopl2,opl3.
# On auto the mode is determined by sblaster type.
# All OPL modes are 'Adlib', except for CMS.
# oplrate -- Sample rate of OPL music emulation.

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

Hope this helps.

SecondaryBattleTank fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Attempted to play Deus Vult 2 for the first time with Russian Overkill. I got the Yamato early on so I ended up skipping alot of levels with quantum jumps. Have to wonder if it's always this unabashedly confusing or if RO broke something along the way.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SecondaryBattleTank posted:

I was having the same issue, but I figured out that the IRQ setting listed under the dosboxblood.conf and dosboxblooddw.conf files was listed as 5. However, during setup I had to set it as 7 due to some conflict. Changing the IRQ setting to 7 in the config files seems to have fixed it for me.

Yeah this is the one bit of setup where you might have to fiddle around with things to get stuff working on a computer by computer basis. Still, setting it up in DOSBOX now is a hell of a lot easier than it ever was back in the day. At least setup in DOSBOX doesn't crash if you look at it funny.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here it is. The most terrifying mod I've seen in ages.

MEMORIAL. It's all 32 levels of Doom 2 as a single, mammoth map, with some minor rearrangement, linking-up and a couple of extra monsters to fill in the blanks.

There's apparently some bugs that manifest in ZDoom because the authors are somewhat fetishists for PRBoom, but... there it sits. Dare you take it on?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Monsters: 3870

:stare:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Monsters: 3870

:stare:

That's a lot of monsters... but there's half as many monsters in the final level of Serious Sam 3 as there is in the entirety of Doom 2.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Kins posted:

MEMORIAL. It's all 32 levels of Doom 2 as a single, mammoth map, with some minor rearrangement, linking-up and a couple of extra monsters to fill in the blanks.

There's apparently some bugs that manifest in ZDoom because the authors are somewhat fetishists for PRBoom, but... there it sits. Dare you take it on?

That's kinda cool. I would probably play it if it were Doom 1 instead.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
That looks incredible. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Chinook posted:

That's kinda cool. I would probably play it if it were Doom 1 instead.

^ Someone needs to do this. The first three episodes. Seriously.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I wonder how they got the flow of that giant map to be any fun what with the whole key card thing. You'd have all the cards you need almost immediately.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I tried the map and immediately turned on no-clip and picked a direction.

About 2 minutes later I hit the Wolfenstein levels. It was kind of surreal.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

I wonder how they got the flow of that giant map to be any fun what with the whole key card thing. You'd have all the cards you need almost immediately.

They replaced most keys with switches, apparently.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

It would be even more insane with the 10x mod on.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Kins posted:

Open world Doom 2? Yes please.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Tried going through it on UV without quicksaving and the SD addonpack, got up to map10 before a zombie with a repeater killed me. :(

I'll try again later. This is way more fun than it should be.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Now I'm sitting here fantasizing about one continuous Doom game that adds the story between the episodes/games. Forgetting the "Doom Bible", it would just be the basics. Starts on Mars and you're shuttled to Phobos (think Half-Life 1 intro), hearing the radio reports going from calm to mayhem and then white-noise/silence until you're dropped into E1M1. Then you progress through the first 3 episodes, take the portal to earth, maybe going through some/all of E4 if it could make sense, and then basically the "MEMORIAL" above.

Wouldn't make sense to be one continuous/free-roaming map, but the idea is making me stiff.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vakal posted:

About 2 minutes later I hit the Wolfenstein levels. It was kind of surreal.

I did the same thing. Icon of Sin is about a 10 second walk from Underhalls.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This is a loving awesome idea for a wad, I love it! Can anyone confirm if it's playable all the way through yet? (i.e. any crazy bugs screwing things up)

Reive
May 21, 2009

Convex posted:

This is a loving awesome idea for a wad, I love it! Can anyone confirm if it's playable all the way through yet? (i.e. any crazy bugs screwing things up)

And does it combine well with brutal doom?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Reive posted:

And does it combine well with brutal doom?

Nope. It lags harder than nuts.wad with Brutal Doom loaded. Maybe a higher end PC would be able to handle it, but I had to use FREEZE on the console in order to even be able to aim straight. It's a pity because this is otherwise an awesome goddamn map.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Can anyone tell me the name of that Doom mod someone posted here a while back that had recharging health and some kind of crazy punch dudes and blow them up mechanic? All I really know about it comes from one gif but it looked cool.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
See the above posts.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Can anyone tell me the name of that Doom mod someone posted here a while back that had recharging health and some kind of crazy punch dudes and blow them up mechanic? All I really know about it comes from one gif but it looked cool.

You're thinking of Brutal doom, or Russian overkill.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Roobanguy posted:

You're thinking of Brutal doom, or Russian overkill.

I am definitely not thinking of Brutal Doom. This had some Halo-like shield thing going on. I don't think it was Russian Overkill either since, like Brutal Doom, I have played it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I am definitely not thinking of Brutal Doom. This had some Halo-like shield thing going on. I don't think it was Russian Overkill either since, like Brutal Doom, I have played it.

Oh, I know. ProjectMSX I think. http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25836

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh man that's exactly it! Thank you.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Kins posted:

That is such a cool idea, oh my word. Gonna have to try this soon.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Nope. It lags harder than nuts.wad with Brutal Doom loaded. Maybe a higher end PC would be able to handle it, but I had to use FREEZE on the console in order to even be able to aim straight. It's a pity because this is otherwise an awesome goddamn map.

I loaded it up with AEoD.

:negative:

Brought my poor laptop to it's knees.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

The Kins posted:

My god, this rules. The cheesy Metallica MIDIs just seal the deal. It's like injecting the 90s into your brain.

EDIT: Is it my imagination or did the creator bump the difficulty up? I swear I picked Hurt Me Plenty but it feels like Ultraviolence.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 7, 2011

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Dr Snofeld posted:

My god, this rules. The cheesy Metallica MIDIs just seal the deal. It's like injecting the 90s into your brain.

EDIT: Is it my imagination or did the creator bump the difficulty up? I swear I picked Hurt Me Plenty but it feels like Ultraviolence.

See, the Metallica MIDIs killed it for me. Especially when it kept changing back to that same song over and over, even when I IDMUSed it to something else. And yes, I think the author increased the difficulty. I started on UV with Brutal Doom 0.13 and there are four demons, two spectres, and like seven or eight grunts in the first room/hallway alone.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

NecroBob posted:

See, the Metallica MIDIs killed it for me. Especially when it kept changing back to that same song over and over, even when I IDMUSed it to something else. And yes, I think the author increased the difficulty. I started on UV with Brutal Doom 0.13 and there are four demons, two spectres, and like seven or eight grunts in the first room/hallway alone.

Looking back at the thread I missed the part that said that Memorial HMP equals vanilla UV. Lower difficulty levels appear to half the number of monsters overall, but mix things up and give you more supplies. The two riflemen at the start get replaced by demons, there's a hell knight in Entryway, and other fun stuff. I like it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well, if a mod has repetitive boring music (or worse, no new music at all! Running from Evil has gotten so old...), then I know a mod which will help!... which segues nicely into another of my semi-regular these-are-neat-mods posts.

Jimmy's Jukebox is exactly what it says - a in-game tool that lets you generate and control a playlist from a selection of 773 MIDIs from a variety of classic FPSes, classic megawads, and even a few new ones for the hell of it.

Vaporware Demo (Goon Made?) is one of those mods that requires something that ISN'T ZDoom. This is because Vaporware violently abuses Eternity Engine's portal system to create detailed architecture that would be, if not impossible, at least suicide-inducingly infuriating to build in GZDoom.

Plutonia 2 is a few years old now, but I don't remember posting about it. It's a fantastic megawad for Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment, that follows along the visual themes of that mod.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Plutonia 2 is a few years old now, but I don't remember posting about it. It's a fantastic megawad for Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment, that follows along the visual themes of that mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ZgtBl1sr4

:patriot:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

Jimmy's Jukebox is exactly what it says - a in-game tool that lets you generate and control a playlist from a selection of 773 MIDIs from a variety of classic FPSes, classic megawads, and even a few new ones for the hell of it.

Don't forget that the latest version allows you to fairly easily create your own playlists if you have Slade 3 and a copy of ACC (the ACS script compiler). I have a personal playlist WAD of nothing but 80s thrash metal and it is absolutely fantastic to play through basically any mapset with.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm gonna listen to a CD while playing Brutal Doom (GZDoom) tonight. Is there some more elegant way to do this besides running media player in the background and turning the in-game music off (although that seemed to work fine when I tested it)?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Minidust posted:

I'm gonna listen to a CD while playing Brutal Doom (GZDoom) tonight. Is there some more elegant way to do this besides running media player in the background and turning the in-game music off (although that seemed to work fine when I tested it)?
ZDoom did have CD audio support, but I think Randy nuked it for compatibility reasons (also nobody used it). Sorry :(

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The Kins posted:

ZDoom did have CD audio support, but I think Randy nuked it for compatibility reasons (also nobody used it). Sorry :(
Ok thanks! I'll just Alt+Tab it then.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Doom is 18 years old today!

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Happy birthday Doom :toot: I didn't get to play you until recently, but you quickly became one of my favorite games.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm gonna gently caress Doom so hard now that it's legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

SwissCM posted:

I'm gonna gently caress Doom so hard now that it's legal.