Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
It's dumb as hell from a consumer perspective but jeez, if I was running that ship and I could cut costs like that and STILL have five figures worth of sales each day... why the hell not???

I realized after last night that I had never really made a subway before and just dug one on our smp server to my new city... good lord, that is a shitload of digging. And I still need a solid 5,000+ worth of tracks :psyduck:

on that note: I am making a Venice-themed city (along with some Amsterdam and. The last time I did this was a very early build of MC, pre sandstone and colored wool. Has anyone else attempted this in the past, because I am now stealing ideas from the internet

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

It's dumb as hell from a consumer perspective but jeez, if I was running that ship and I could cut costs like that and STILL have five figures worth of sales each day... why the hell not???

I realized after last night that I had never really made a subway before and just dug one on our smp server to my new city... good lord, that is a shitload of digging. And I still need a solid 5,000+ worth of tracks :psyduck:

Did you properly plate it in smoothstone and tiles with glowstone lighting?

Thank god we can make hell-based metro systems. :cthulhu:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MikeJF posted:

Goddamnit, you can't buy it without a compatible phone. I'm planning on upgrading soon. :(

Do you know someone with a compatible phone? If you temporarily "register" your google account on their phone, it will count to allow you to buy.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

on that note: I am making a Venice-themed city (along with some Amsterdam and. The last time I did this was a very early build of MC, pre sandstone and colored wool. Has anyone else attempted this in the past, because I am now stealing ideas from the internet

Can you get End Stone on your server? Should work nicely for Venice in some parts.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The API will be in 1.1 and will be free.

It was never in notch's plans to charge for stuff like that so I don't know why you seem so sure that they will.

Good to hear, and you are reading too much certainty. I'm just being somewhat pessimistic.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

THE MACHO MAN posted:

"Best" way to get track is to raid an abandoned mine in my opinion. Shitload of track just lying around, plus a ton of planks and fences to "mine," plus it's a goddamn mine so you'll find a ton of iron and coal to make your own rails.

I basically never need to make another fence for the rest of my life, I think I have an entire large chest of full stacks at this point. Really worth the effort since it takes so much drat wood to make fences.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

2 things I'd like to see:

-- Option to disable villages/ravines/strongholds/mines for servers. Could be an all-in-one option or individual for more choice.

-- A "time scale" server variable that lets us set the speed (and thus length) of days and nights. The server I play on has been using a Bukkit plugin to make days and nights 1 hour long each, and it is terrible going back to ten minutes after an update because you never have time to do anything during the day.

And because I can dream:

-- Fix the lovely map generation that 1.8 added. It's bad and awful and aside from the rivers and ravines, inferior in pretty much every other way.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Oggumogoggum posted:

2 things I'd like to see:

-- Option to disable villages/ravines/strongholds/mines for servers. Could be an all-in-one option or individual for more choice.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Boat posted:

"Best" way to get track is to raid an abandoned mine in my opinion. Shitload of track just lying around, plus a ton of planks and fences to "mine," plus it's a goddamn mine so you'll find a ton of iron and coal to make your own rails.

I basically never need to make another fence for the rest of my life, I think I have an entire large chest of full stacks at this point. Really worth the effort since it takes so much drat wood to make fences.

Yeah I figured this was one way of getting it. I am just going to need an assload of gold to make the boosters. Thankfully, it is mostly flat ground, so I won't need that many.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Yeah I figured this was one way of getting it. I am just going to need an assload of gold to make the boosters. Thankfully, it is mostly flat ground, so I won't need that many.

Boosters go a long way, actually. With a 3-booster launch to get up to full speed, one booster track every 38th block (37 tracks between each booster) will keep you at full speed with maximum efficiency. I've gone through, gently caress, I don't even know how many stacks of track, at least 20, and found more than enough gold while tunneling to keep me in boosters without a hitch. Not to mention loving tons of redstone. I guess building a train tunnel at lava height will do that.

prak
Jan 3, 2006

---------
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

Jens will have the final decision on design and direction as well as coding? Well gently caress me that's good news.
This is why; in spite of the buggy code and oddly directionless feature additions (seriously, still no mod API? Or lanterns :iiam:) I'm still pretty much like Notch's general business sense and am optimistic about Minecraft's long term future. Either he able to see reason or he has someone close to him who is reasonable who he eventually gets around to listening to.

It took some time to realize he needed more people working on it but not nearly as long as I think it could have. He knew he didn't know how to run a company so there wasn't even short period where he hosed up being CEO. And we are now (what?) a year into him pretending to be professional and he is willingly giving up his baby? Sure he should have done it sooner but it could have been so much worse.

That being said, I intentionally kept away from touching Minecraft since the Halloween update expecting to return to some bugs but a playable, more detailed, game but this is terrible. Two out of three connection attempts fail and when I am connected I regularly crash with the server losing my player info. Where are the optional alpha, beta and stable builds? The daily bugfix updates? Hell, patch notes; I'd like to know if there is even a new server that fixes this without following god only knows how many inane twitter feeds. :notch:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prak posted:

This is why; in spite of the buggy code and oddly directionless feature additions (seriously, still no mod API? Or lanterns :iiam:)

I really don't understand why everyone is so mad Notch didn't make torches burnout and require you to use extra materials if you wanted to light a place up permanently. That's what Notch's lantern idea was.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Install Gentoo posted:

I really don't understand why everyone is so mad Notch didn't make torches burnout and require you to use extra materials if you wanted to light a place up permanently. That's what Notch's lantern idea was.

If anything I'm glad he didn't get around to the idea. That was easily one of the worst ideas he's had.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Lanterns are the kind of feature I'd very nearly pay not to have in the game.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Our multiplayer server finally upgraded to 1.0 and man, the hunger system is now bugging the poo poo out of me. Before I could go out and hunt in grassy areas for food inbetween building poo poo.

Now I spend all my days trying to herd and breed pigs while trying not to starve to death. I'm growing wheat as well, but it takes forever, and any bones I get immediately go to the wheat, which goes to breed more pigs...

...and then when I kill a pig it gives me no pork.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Our multiplayer server finally upgraded to 1.0 and man, the hunger system is now bugging the poo poo out of me. Before I could go out and hunt in grassy areas for food inbetween building poo poo.

Now I spend all my days trying to herd and breed pigs while trying not to starve to death. I'm growing wheat as well, but it takes forever, and any bones I get immediately go to the wheat, which goes to breed more pigs...

...and then when I kill a pig it gives me no pork.

I died in my hardcore game that I posted screenshots of by starving to death. Killed three pigs. Got one porkchop.

edit: Those were the only pigs I found on the island.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 8, 2011

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
In my opinion, pigs are basically obsolete now. With both cows and chickens providing meat in addition to their usual items, that heal equal (chicken) or better (steak) than porkchops, I hardly bother with breeding them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Breed cows, not pigs. Eat steak like a man.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

I've finally managed to figure out how to pregen large, 1.7.3 maps. Does anyone have any cool seeds that they'd like generated? If anyone wants one, I'll find a host somewhere and throw them up. Gargamel and Glacier are obvious choices.

I'm generating them in 5000x5000 chunks, so they are fairly expansive.

And yes, I'm aware of the missing features and problems inherent in playing on a 1.7.3 map.

Saeka fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 8, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wahad posted:

In my opinion, pigs are basically obsolete now. With both cows and chickens providing meat in addition to their usual items, that heal equal (chicken) or better (steak) than porkchops, I hardly bother with breeding them.

No, Chicken is slightly less than beef and beef is the same as pork.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It just seems like the lack of spawning animals has made the hunger system the thing I was worried it was going to be in 1.8, something that must constantly be monitored rather than something that is a mild annoyance at best.

It'll be better when I get the farm working properly but man, it's amazing how much less I'm enjoying playing on this new version. :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

All of you with complaints about the amount of time spent farming and ranching should tweet Jeb about it. He seems reasonable enough where if he gets a lot of people saying that keeping your hunger meter full takes way too much time, he'll probably do something about it.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
So I was screwing around with minecarts and I had a sudden realization:

What if, when traveling in a minecart, holding left/right would toggle switches/buttons on your left/right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I don't understand how you people need to spend so much time farming and ranching, unless you've all decided to play on Hard where you actually die if you starve. If you are, it's called Hard for a reason.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's not a big deal, but the only issue for me is that the new system made the game a tiny bit less fun for my nephew. He likes building, shearing sheep and killing cows and stuff, but he's not really old enough to have the patience and understanding for breeding. So now his world around his house is empty and there's a bit less for him to do.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Install Equivalent Exchange. Go on a long and harrowing journey to find Slime, Glow Stone, and Red Stone. Craft a Philosopher's Stone. Turn a big pile of rocks into a piece of watermelon, using MAGIC.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

I don't understand how you people need to spend so much time farming and ranching, unless you've all decided to play on Hard where you actually die if you starve. If you are, it's called Hard for a reason.

Once you've found one of each mushroom and killed a skeleton, you never go hungry again.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Lycus posted:

It's not a big deal, but the only issue for me is that the new system made the game a tiny bit less fun for my nephew. He likes building, shearing sheep and killing cows and stuff, but he's not really old enough to have the patience and understanding for breeding. So now his world around his house is empty and there's a bit less for him to do.

If somebody knows of any mods that re-enable animal spawning, that would be fantastic. The only thing I don't hate about having to breed animals is that you can make rare wool colors easily. That's it, though.

I also like how I usually get enough leather to make a full armor set well after I find several diamonds and a gigantic pile of iron.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

Once you've found one of each mushroom and killed a skeleton, you never go hungry again.
Yes, this.

Also, if you just punch wild grass as you explore you'll get seeds. Plant a few rows of wheat, then at dawn go out and collect bones. It takes about a day or so to get your wheat going but once you do it's easy. In addition, as you're digging around if you find a skeleton spawner you're basically set for the world you're in; farm it for arrows, bones, and exp.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Locus posted:

Install Equivalent Exchange. Go on a long and harrowing journey to find Slime, Glow Stone, and Red Stone. Craft a Philosopher's Stone. Turn a big pile of rocks into a piece of watermelon, using MAGIC.
I wish equivalent exchange worked on multiplayer. :(

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

PalmTreeFun posted:

If somebody knows of any mods that re-enable animal spawning, that would be fantastic.
Yeah, that would be perfect. I don't need anything fancy, just old-fashioned animal spawning.

Edit:

Locus posted:

Mo' Creatures has options for animals to persist (off by default) and for old-style spawning (on by default I think). If you don't like the crazier stuff it adds (ogres that can smash your house down etc), you can set their spawn rates to 0.
Thanks, I'll check it out. And he might like having some of the additional animals.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 8, 2011

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

But it isn't hard, it's just tedious. I like to have the threat of death, I just don't like to have to grind for hours before I have the basics needed to be able to put hunger out of my mind.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

PalmTreeFun posted:

If somebody knows of any mods that re-enable animal spawning, that would be fantastic. The only thing I don't hate about having to breed animals is that you can make rare wool colors easily. That's it, though.

Mo' Creatures has options for animals to persist (off by default) and for old-style spawning (on by default I think). If you don't like the crazier stuff it adds (ogres that can smash your house down etc), you can set their spawn rates to 0.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Anyone who's having trouble with hunger needs to try melons.
A single melon plant can produce two or three melons in a day. Each melon will break into about 5 melon slices. Each melon slice can be crafted into melon seeds.
Melon plants also do not need to be replanted. A single seed can keep you fed indefinitely.

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo

Schwarzwald posted:

Anyone who's having trouble with hunger needs to try melons.
A single melon plant can produce two or three melons in a day. Each melon will break into about 5 melon slices. Each melon slice can be crafted into melon seeds.
Melon plants also do not need to be replanted. A single seed can keep you fed indefinitely.

it's still super dumb that you need to spend most of your first day trying to find something to eat so you won't die down some mine somewhere. Also melon seeds are like random chance or whatever so theres also that, hunger should be hardcore specific imo

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

redmercer posted:

Thanks bro, but that's single player. There's no option to disable structures when a server is generating the map.

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo
Generate in single player and then use the single player map as a multiplayer one?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Slide McGriffin posted:

it's still super dumb that you need to spend most of your first day trying to find something to eat so you won't die down some mine somewhere. Also melon seeds are like random chance or whatever so theres also that, hunger should be hardcore specific imo

Play on Peaceful, Easy or Normal = You can't die from hunger. Hope this helps!

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Install Gentoo posted:

Play on Peaceful, Easy or Normal = You can't die from hunger. Hope this helps!

You still get reduced to five hearts on easy and nearly dead on normal. You know, fall 4 blocks/random arrow out of nowhere, plus no health regen.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PalmTreeFun posted:

You still get reduced to five hearts on easy and nearly dead on normal. You know, fall 4 blocks/random arrow out of nowhere, plus no health regen.

Remember how there was no health regen at all on easy/normal/hard before 1.8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

Remember how there was no health regen at all on easy/normal/hard before 1.8?
What the hell does that have to do with anything, especially the point that hunger is currently not a very well-done mechanic?