Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I downloaded this game and I have to say: The Policeman is the most fun character ever put in a game, any game.

If you haven't, check him out.

Its a very odd game. Feels like a combination of JJBA and the early KoF games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Dias posted:

Wait, isn't there any chance they can get this on Steam or something? I mean, it's coming out for PC.
It will pirated the day it comes out and technically it's only for Japan still. No way it would ever appear on Steam.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

That is just ridiculous.

OH poo poo! I meant Raven, not Raiden. Sorry. (I should have just said Blade.) Anyway, is Raven legit? I'm only asking because a friend got salty after I kept winning with RAVEN against his... Hong Kong Cop character (Lei Woo Long?) Raven seems pretty cool. He kind of makes me want to start playing Tekken. I have 5 for the PSN. Is 6 good, or should I just wait for TTT2?

I am horrible at Tekken but what I remember from playing a little of Raven in T5 was that he's sort of so-so until you score a knockdown, but once you do that's where he really shines. I wish I could remember any details but I only played Raven a little before jumping ship for Bryan.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

Are the arcade and console versions of TTT2 identical? Balance-wise and stuff?

Generally Harada sees arcade releases as a necessary part of tweaking and refining a game to make it as good as it can be, so with Tekken 6, we didn't even see a console release in the US after the game had already been in Japanese arcades for like two years. All the balance changes and added content from Bloodline Rebellion were included in the US console release, so T6 here is pretty different from what it was when it first came out in the arcades.

I guess the short answer is "we don't know yet," but since TTT2 has a really ambitious infrastructure to enable automatic content updates in arcades, my guess is that what TTT2 is right now and what it will be by the time it sees console release will be two different things.

Raven seems pretty cool. He kind of makes me want to start playing Tekken. I have 5 for the PSN. Is 6 good, or should I just wait for TTT2?

Raven is solid, if pretty unorthodox in his playstyle. As a rule, T6 is pretty balanced, so if there's someone you like you should just go for it. Tekken 6 is very, very good, and it will serve as the template for TTT2, so if you want to get a jump on things you should definitely pick it up.

PunkBoy posted:

EDIT: Super stoked for S-tier Hwoarang. Sit on defeated opponents every day.

Same, I've been waiting for him to be that good since T3. Please don't nerf him before I get to play him Namco! :ohdear:

Brosnan fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 8, 2011

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Brosnan, do you still play online?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
No, and I really barely played online before, because online Tekken might as well be DoA for how bad it is. :(

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'll have to mess with it some more next time I play. I didn't give it too much credit at the time because the damage from the throw is pretty low by itself, and I felt like other characters could get better guaranteed damage with regular combos than Ange could settling for resets.

Do you usually just leave her in long enough to do her dumb oki and then get her back out again? Maybe my mistake was using her on point too much.

It depended but normally once I didn't have pressure and once you got past my bullshit I would burst, or defensive switch out Ange had crazy oki great pressure and good zoning and anti-zoning tools, but was garbage if you got in her face and pressed a button. Because of the way the meter system worked you could use super throw instead of regular throw instead for like 2k.

The timing for the oki setup I was talking about it really tight to get it so it beats all the options, trick is to do CANCEL from the sweep to the 214A as late as possible.

Bonus stun was pretty awesome as well because of lucifers 3C,(2A5A8j.C)xN, corner only infinite. I have only been able to get like 8-9 reps going in the Jessica patch but I want to put that up to being rusty.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 8, 2011

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Brosnan posted:

No, and I really barely played online before, because online Tekken might as well be DoA for how bad it is. :(

But you do get the lovely experience of getting bodied by fursuit King! Also, items are actually worth a drat online.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Brosnan posted:

Are you playing Hwoarong/Marduk in TTT2?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Better believe it. :coal:

I'll swap around with Hwo/Craig/Paul/Kuma/Lars to see what works best.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Lain is gonna play Bob and Jack

If it comes out and the netcode doesn't suck we should all play

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

whip posted:

Lain is gonna play Bob and Jack

If it comes out and the netcode doesn't suck we should all play

Yo teach me to not suck at tekken and I wanna play too.

Do you guys know if Jaycee plays mostly/exactly like Julia Chang? I heard she's like, a disguised version of her, is she actually a new character?

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Jmcrofts posted:

Yo teach me to not suck at tekken and I wanna play too.

Do you guys know if Jaycee plays mostly/exactly like Julia Chang? I heard she's like, a disguised version of her, is she actually a new character?

Trivia
Though she will initially be available on the roster as JayCee in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Julia can become playable in name only. JayCee's mask can be removed during customization; this results in only her name changing to Julia Chang.

The only thing I can say is play, play a lot. I only learned everything I know because there are so many situational things that happen that you'll only discover by playing and trying different moves for outcomes. Visiting TekkenZaibatsu forums has lots of strats for characters and all the juggles laid out by launcher with various outcomes (wall juice/wall carry, etc)
Watching lots of videos of pro players is a good idea. I learned a lot of good tricks with Alisa just from watching Chanel and AO.

Probably the most important thing to start with until you're familiar with the game is DON'T BACKROLL :)

Anyhow, my PSN is Channin, I play a lot

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Do any of you Tekken players use Korean sticks? My buddy was telling me about the Tekken scene in Korea, and about how Korean players are godlike wavedashers and that they use "special" infrared joysticks. I literally know nothing about the Tekken scene so sorry for the scrubby questions. I don't think my friend is all that great at the game. He's more enthusiastic than knowledgeable or skilled, and I haven't touched Tekken since TT, and never seriously. Also, all I've ever heard about Tekken going waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, is about how it's basically a scrubby Virtua Fighter, etc. But I just bought 5 for the PS3, and I've been messing around. Seems like a lot of fun.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Korean sticks are different from American and Japanese sticks because the "gate" that limits the joystick from moving too far is a different shape (octagonal, I believe). It makes using Mishimas easier, or at least that's what i heard.

Is using Law considered the same as using Ken in Street Fighter?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Do any of you Tekken players use Korean sticks? My buddy was telling me about the Tekken scene in Korea, and about how Korean players are godlike wavedashers and that they use "special" infrared joysticks. I literally know nothing about the Tekken scene so sorry for the scrubby questions. I don't think my friend is all that great at the game. He's more enthusiastic than knowledgeable or skilled, and I haven't touched Tekken since TT, and never seriously. Also, all I've ever heard about Tekken going waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, is about how it's basically a scrubby Virtua Fighter, etc. But I just bought 5 for the PS3, and I've been messing around. Seems like a lot of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-_trL1pZeo

Here, Aris explains how to do those fancy movements. They are godlike wavedashers because they practice, not because of the sticks.

You can get a korean stick. They are pretty cool, I can't really explain it well how they work, you just have to flip one over and look for yourself. Many Tekken players do prefer Korean style over Japanese style.

http://etokki.com/Omni-Korean-Edition

BTW, you can get one of those optical sticks that your friend was talking about, too. However, I can almost guarantee that 99% of korean players play on korean fanta sticks.

"Spark Optical Sensor" @ http://www.godlikecontrols.com/

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Played KOF13 for the first real time tonight.

I'm using Mai, Daimon, Mature. No real reason just what I'm using to figure out some characters.

I'm doing best with Mai pretty much. Her projectiles seem really good, the EX one seems especially broken since it hits almost instantly, knocks down, and does way more damage than it should. Up close she frametraps very easily to the point where you can just walk up throw people after a while.

Daimon is a loving mystery. I can't figure out how his command grab is supposed to work. So many times I did like short hop with j.B or something and waited what felt really long, then did a command grab and it showed the whiff animation when I was seemingly right next to them. I can land it sometimes but I just don't understand if I'm doing it too early or too far away (both seem so implausible given that I'm waiting really long and that I'm also really close... even the EX one will whiff like this).

Mature seems pretty lame. I liked her turtle style in 98 but her fireball game seems pretty poo poo in this game.

The game seems fun overall but I'm pretty half and half on it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Daimon is my favorite character in 13 but he's pretty tough to get a handle on at first.

His dp+k grab has fairly short range, so you might have a hard time using it unless you're really up on the guy. His hcb, f+P grab has better range, especially the LP version. Also note that after blocking and (i think?) after waking up, characters are throw immune for several frames, making tick throw setups a little tougher to land. Note that you can combo into command grabs, which kind of makes up for that I guess. Daimon's bnb hitconfirm is something like s.lp, s.lp, s.lk xx hcb, f+p.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

Daimon is my favorite character in 13 but he's pretty tough to get a handle on at first.

His dp+k grab has fairly short range, so you might have a hard time using it unless you're really up on the guy. His hcb, f+P grab has better range, especially the LP version. Also note that after blocking and (i think?) after waking up, characters are throw immune for several frames, making tick throw setups a little tougher to land. Note that you can combo into command grabs, which kind of makes up for that I guess. Daimon's bnb hitconfirm is something like s.lp, s.lp, s.lk xx hcb, f+p.

As far as I know, DP+K is slower, shorter ranged, and does less damage than the hcb f+P throw. The only advantage I know of is that it can be Drive Canceled. I use at the start of an HD combo but that's about it. Might be something else to it I don't know though!

Also for that B&B, you'll need to roll-cancel to catch it most of the time. So the combo ends up looking like, 5A 5A 5B 63214K~6P. Alternatively, you can just use the EX throw, which has considerably more range.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Lately I've been playing Jack and I loving love that guy now. It's funny how I ignored him since Tekken 2 and now I end up liking him a lot. I'll probably be using Heihachi as main and Miguel or Jack as back up.

Brosnan, have you got a Tekken scene where you live? I might go to the US in the future, so I want to know where is the place to be. Some people say places like New York or the east coast in general are hella good for aggressive stuff. Others say cali is pretty rich with tekken players. Places like Iowa or mid-west/north are places where people say the scene's dead. Right now in the UK, it's easy to go around (public transport is A*) and most tourneys take place in London anyway, so I can take one tube ride in the morning and another at night time.

I'm hoping for a place close to Dallas so that I can go to one of the DOA tourneys and laugh in their face.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

As far as I know, DP+K is slower, shorter ranged, and does less damage than the hcb f+P throw. The only advantage I know of is that it can be Drive Canceled. I use at the start of an HD combo but that's about it. Might be something else to it I don't know though!

Also for that B&B, you'll need to roll-cancel to catch it most of the time. So the combo ends up looking like, 5A 5A 5B 63214K~6P. Alternatively, you can just use the EX throw, which has considerably more range.

DP+k gives you much better oki I'm pretty sure.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I had been using the HCB almost exclusively... I need to buy the game so I can actually practice it in training mode I guess

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
TTT2 Customization: http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=122013&perpage=20&pagenumber=1 :swoon:

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Super SS4 Arcade Edition or whatever it's called is $16 at Amazon right now for PC download. How's the PC port?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Super SS4 Arcade Edition or whatever it's called is $16 at Amazon right now for PC download. How's the PC port?

It's fine if your PC is good, but the online play is like leagues worse than XBL with a much smaller community.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Everyone was saying the actual netcode for SSF4PC was way better than on console though?

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Both .ca and .com show 25+ for me? Where are you seeing this

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

uncleKitchener posted:

Brosnan, have you got a Tekken scene where you live? I might go to the US in the future, so I want to know where is the place to be. Some people say places like New York or the east coast in general are hella good for aggressive stuff. Others say cali is pretty rich with tekken players. Places like Iowa or mid-west/north are places where people say the scene's dead. Right now in the UK, it's easy to go around (public transport is A*) and most tourneys take place in London anyway, so I can take one tube ride in the morning and another at night time.

I'm hoping for a place close to Dallas so that I can go to one of the DOA tourneys and laugh in their face.

I'm not exactly sure what question you want me to answer here, but suffice it to say that the U.S. is a huge country if you're visiting from Europe for the first time, so you'll want to plan pretty carefully what regions you really plan to spend time in. Northern California and southern California both have scenes, but their epicenters are 400 miles apart, so you can't really just hop on the tube and check both of them out.

Texas actually does have a Tekken scene but is otherwise an awful place, so depending on the priorities of your trip, that may or may not be excluded. The San Francisco Bay Area (which is really what people mean when they say NorCal, and is where I live) is home to Sunnyvale Golfland (SVGL) and a few other major arcades that are sort of the last bastions of fighting and music games around here. Mr. Naps is widely regarded as one of the best Brian players in North America, and Bronson "insanelee" Tran has won a few of the Tekken nationals; both of them play pretty regularly at SVGL. San Francisco is also an awesome place to hang out if you wanted to spend some time Not Playing Video Games, so that's a plus.

SoCal also has a pretty good arcade scene in general, so as long as you make transport arrangements ahead of time, you could spend some time in both parts of the state and get to see more places. And of course, New York has a thriving scene and is a great place to visit in general.

Just stick to areas with greater population density and diversity (i.e. the coasts), and you'll find a healthier scene. This is a good rule of thumb for any travel in the US, come to think of it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Sade posted:

Everyone was saying the actual netcode for SSF4PC was way better than on console though?

I think he was speaking to the caliber of players on PC versus console.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

scuz posted:

I think he was speaking to the caliber of players on PC versus console.

No, pretty much every time I played the game the connections were terrible. I was on a super high end PC with amazing internet to boot. I think it had more to do with the low amount of players, all who had bad computers or something.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
You guys who have a scene around where you live are lucky. I am trying to get one started/looking for one but it's like its dead where I live. (Live in Atlanta)

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

zarron posted:

You guys who have a scene around where you live are lucky. I am trying to get one started/looking for one but it's like its dead where I live. (Live in Atlanta)

There is a scene in Atlanta. From what I've heard, atlanta has some really great tekken players, especially. What games are you looking to play?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Scenes are hard. Some buddies of mine tried going to a weekly event here and said none of them were very welcoming at all. We're stuck :(

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

scuz posted:

Scenes are hard. Some buddies of mine tried going to a weekly event here and said none of them were very welcoming at all. We're stuck :(

Do what I do. You will need to purchase some good beer for this strategy.

As soon as you arrive find out who is in charge/who's place it is, and offer them the beer. Happy to help.

-if its a no-drinking thing then bring a setup. I promise you will be welcomed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

scuz posted:

I started a club up about two months ago, but basically everyone who joined is the real life equivalent of a stream monster (gross looking, talks a big game and thinks they know everything about balance but can't back anything up, etc.). I'm gonna keep it going for a bit longer once school starts up again, but I'm not hopeful.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Brosnan posted:

I'm not exactly sure what question you want me to answer here, but suffice it to say that the U.S. is a huge country if you're visiting from Europe for the first time, so you'll want to plan pretty carefully what regions you really plan to spend time in. Northern California and southern California both have scenes, but their epicenters are 400 miles apart, so you can't really just hop on the tube and check both of them out.

Texas actually does have a Tekken scene but is otherwise an awful place, so depending on the priorities of your trip, that may or may not be excluded. The San Francisco Bay Area (which is really what people mean when they say NorCal, and is where I live) is home to Sunnyvale Golfland (SVGL) and a few other major arcades that are sort of the last bastions of fighting and music games around here. Mr. Naps is widely regarded as one of the best Brian players in North America, and Bronson "insanelee" Tran has won a few of the Tekken nationals; both of them play pretty regularly at SVGL. San Francisco is also an awesome place to hang out if you wanted to spend some time Not Playing Video Games, so that's a plus.

SoCal also has a pretty good arcade scene in general, so as long as you make transport arrangements ahead of time, you could spend some time in both parts of the state and get to see more places. And of course, New York has a thriving scene and is a great place to visit in general.

Just stick to areas with greater population density and diversity (i.e. the coasts), and you'll find a healthier scene. This is a good rule of thumb for any travel in the US, come to think of it.

Man, this is sweet. I got relatives in Fresno, but it's a pretty boring place. I suppose I could rent a car or something and just go around the whole of Cali and just meet people.

I knew naps and insanelee from back in TZ, so it'll be pretty interesting for me to go and play against these people and learn new things.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

40 OZ posted:

There is a scene in Atlanta. From what I've heard, atlanta has some really great tekken players, especially. What games are you looking to play?

Pretty much anything. Thought I'm mainly playing SS4:AE and getting back into Blazblue and Soul Calibur (since 5 is coming soon).

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

zarron posted:

Pretty much anything. Thought I'm mainly playing SS4:AE and getting back into Blazblue and Soul Calibur (since 5 is coming soon).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/164898150234339/

Georgia fighting game community, mostly Shoryuken people IIRC. I'm sure you can rustle up some games through it.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Countblanc posted:

I started a club up about two months ago, but basically everyone who joined is the real life equivalent of a stream monster (gross looking, talks a big game and thinks they know everything about balance but can't back anything up, etc.). I'm gonna keep it going for a bit longer once school starts up again, but I'm not hopeful.

That sucks dude. :( Its unfortunate when your only options for competition are what you described and online play. However reading this and other posts like it has made me grateful that there is a good scene where I live. I should really try and go to more hookups than the one or two a week closer to my house, people are always offering to host at their places and its probably worth the 20 or 30 minute drive to level up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Speaking of scenes: where are the main ones in England? I'm going to uni soon and it'd be cool if I could just catch the tube from Cambridge or something.

• Locked thread