Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I think the main problem with hunger is that you have to change the fundamental way you play minecraft to enjoy it. If you try to play minecraft the way you did pre-1.8, hunger is frustrating, and if you enjoyed minecraft the way it was you would not want to change. In good hunger news, apple trees are being added to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

tinaun posted:

I think the main problem with hunger is that you have to change the fundamental way you play minecraft to enjoy it. If you try to play minecraft the way you did pre-1.8, hunger is frustrating, and if you enjoyed minecraft the way it was you would not want to change. In good hunger news, apple trees are being added to the game.

I don't actually see a problem with the hunger mechanic, and I don't think it changes the way you play the game at any fundamental level at all, you needed food before hunger was added, what changed is how that food was used and how the timespan of the reward for using food changed.

Before hunger, food use was reactionary, you used it when and only when you had lost some hearts, and then you got those hearts back as fast as you could eat bread/pork, now you use it preemptively so you can sprint and start regenerating health as soon as possible after losing it, and because it's a preemptive thing that you need to maintain we have the ability to stack food.

There is more emphasis on food now, certainly, but I don't see how hunger makes things frustrating.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I agree that hunger should be an option, but I'm surprised that no one has even mentioned Harvest Moon. Yeah, it's more a fixture from Roguelikes, but I get a lot of satisfaction from getting a little farm set up. Stone hoes last forever in the early game too.

As for starving early on, I usually skip a search for coal if it's not visible in nearby cliffs and use charcoal for my first night. I'll kill animals the first couple days pretty quickly, making sure to leave a couple of each kind in the area. Don't forget that you don't need a wheat farm to make a million chickens since their egg drop rate is really fast. If you can find a cave or make a lovely hill-side hovel instead of trying to build a pretty cabin, you'll be fine. Once you're past that, start a mushroom farm. It takes a lot less effort, provided you'll spend time around the chunk it's at.

I don't understand the people who gripe about a simple farm being added to the start up sequence as such a thorn in the side, it's not obsidian, a click on each square does each step, then going to do something nearby like grinding some trees or doing other near-surface stuff you should be taking care of before you dive into the biggest hole in the ground you can find. Hell, if you stumble on an NPC village, you don't even need to farm, you'll have enough bread to last you through ridiculous dungeon dives. Oh, and zombie flesh is good eats right now, the "full" regeneration overtakes sickness, IIRC.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

tinaun posted:

In good hunger news, apple trees are being added to the game.

I think a 0.5% chance of getting an apple from a tree doesn't really make it an "apple tree".

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Good grief. SO apples will continue to be irritatingly rare. Do they not have apples in Sweden or something?

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
It's a 0.5% chance to drop per leaf block, having just checked trees seem to have around 50 of them, so it's more like a 25% chance of getting one apple per tree. Still not that common but not as incredibly rare as Fuego Fish's wording sounds.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

But why not just make a new kind of tree that has apples on it? Limit it to a certain biome or make it sort of rare if you want, like wolves or giant mushrooms or snow, but it seems like a much nicer idea.

Plus you could then craft like three apples and some sugar and some wheat and make an apple pie~

Mr Kitty
Oct 17, 2009

Well, not everyone can be like Snoop D-O-Double-G.
Has anyone here actually made a golden apple? They seem to require materials that far outweigh it's use.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

kas posted:

putting a cooldown timer on food based on the type of food eaten
This is incredibly frustrating in Terarria.

Times posted:

I am okay with the hunger system.

I think using potions for 'insta heals' is a good idea

These are my thoughts. I would only add that farming Nether Wart is more annoying than it should be. All crops should be able to grow when the chunk isn't loaded, it's a really simple fix and should be in the game already.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

These are my thoughts. I would only add that farming Nether Wart is more annoying than it should be. All crops should be able to grow when the chunk isn't loaded, it's a really simple fix and should be in the game already.

This really shouldn't be that hard. A simple "timeLastUnloaded" attribute on the chunk that gets compared with the current time when it gets loaded would allow all of the crops/etc to grow to where they would be when you enter the chunk.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Faraday Cage posted:

It's a 0.5% chance to drop per leaf block, having just checked trees seem to have around 50 of them, so it's more like a 25% chance of getting one apple per tree. Still not that common but not as incredibly rare as Fuego Fish's wording sounds.

Wow they have some weird conceptions as to how apple trees work in Mojang.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Maybe I'm unusual, but does anyone else load a Creative seed, fly around to find a good build site, write down the coordinates, and then make a new map with the same seed in Survival?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ChewyLSB posted:

Yeah and don't get me started on their grasp of geology I mean HELLO!?!

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Maybe I'm unusual, but does anyone else load a Creative seed, fly around to find a good build site, write down the coordinates, and then make a new map with the same seed in Survival?

That's not a bad idea, really. The only thing I do that's close to this is play single player when our server is down just to play around with building and redstone designs, so that I can recreate it on the server when it's back up.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sheep will now eat grass and grow back their wool.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I just change the map to "survival mode" instead of remaking it as a new save.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

So, is this cause and effect? As in, they will only regrow wool if they have grass to eat? Or is their eating of grass completely separate to the wool growth? And which grass is it that they eat?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

loving finally. Now I can keep a wool farm that isn't tedious as hell to manage :}

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I hope that isn't a cause and effect going on there, especially without the ability to plant or control the growth of grass.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

ChewyLSB posted:

T'was funnier in my head...

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

BitBasher posted:

I hope that isn't a cause and effect going on there, especially without the ability to plant or control the growth of grass.
What? Toss some bonemeal onto a patch of grass, and it grows a bunch of wildgrass and flowers.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I kinda assumed it just meant sheep had to be on grass blocks to regrow wool.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

BitBasher posted:

If it's the tall grass they eat, you can use bonemeal to grow a patch of tall grass and flowers. I think that would be more fun than if they just ate the grass off the dirt tile, having to tend to the pasture if you want wool to grow.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Sheep eating grass will probably work out pretty well. I love building underground gardens and grass-paved tree farms, and before limited spawning I would have been scared shitless a sheep would spawn and eat all the grass it took me 3 years to creep down into the caves, but now you can just keep 'em out and/or work around it, and it should be a fun little quirk to see patches of dirt when traveling around.

As far as hunger goes, it's another thing to prepare for in survival that you CAN ignore, but it has the consequences, and has a harsher penalty on the first day. If you don't find coal before sundown, night mining becomes prohibitively difficult. If you don't build shelter before first sundown, time for berserker monster fighting or digging a hole in the ground. If you don't get wool, no bed, can't skip night. Now with hunger, if you don't get something set up, depending on difficulty, you have issues up to forced death. It doesn't seem more unbalanced than the others necessarily, but I do personally seem to notice it more. If I die in a mine because I never found iron, I'm not pissed, bad luck. If I die because I walked into an abandoned mine after finding enough iron for armor and don't make it, again, not pissed. That's really on me. But every time those half-hearts start coming off, it just feels so annoying. Maybe because it's new?

It does require a pretty high effort to get hunger out of the equation. One coal can get you underground finding more, once you have a shelter and a bed you're set there, but getting a wheat farm going alone can be tough. However, there's two really big things that make hunger matter a whole lot less. Chuck everything in a chest and suicide makes it a much more minor annoyance, and with swamp biomes being fairly findable, through the first night can still be tough, if you find one of each mushroom, just wait until morning, collect skeleton drops after they burn, have an overabundance of food that is easily renewable. Although I do wish mushroom soup stacked. Then it'd be perfect.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

If it's long grass, you can collect it with shears! Then you can plant it again. Totally pointless, really.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
From the arguments I'm hearing I suspect that people who are really raging against hunger want to be able to play on SUPER HARDCORE WAVES OF DEATH mode without having hunger as a major concern, since on lower difficulties you don't have the "dum de dum building a house gently caress STARVING TO DEATH" situation that people are complaining about anyway.

Which suits me fine, because I'd like to be able to play on No Enemies mode and have hunger be a real concern. What I enjoy about Minecraft isn't enemies coming out of nowhere and a combat system I find clunky - it's building up from a guy punching down a tree to a comfortable and then perhaps an impressive home, and farming and ranching fits just fine into that mentality.

It seems like the solution that would please everyone would be for difficulty to be two sliders - one for enemies that ranges from "no hostile mobs" to "there's a creeper in your pants", and one for hunger that ranges from "no hunger ever" to "get this man on a porkchop IV".

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Penguingo posted:

If it's long grass, you can collect it with shears! Then you can plant it again. Totally pointless, really.

You can also just use bonemeal on normal grass and it will sprout long grass (and a flower or two, sometimes).

Edit: Derp, didn't see the post above that says literally the same thing. More content:

I generally don't mind the hunger bar. I don't play on hard, and on normal the decay is at a pretty decent rate - enough that you have to mind it sometimes, but not so much that you can't manage it without a massive farm. It allows me to make tinier, personal farms, which are more aesthetically pleasing for me anyway :3:

Wahad fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 8, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Really, a skeleton dungeon is the "you've won the game" button now. I've got my 9x9 indoor wheat farm that I harvest and immediately regrow, and more arrows than I could ever possibly need. I pretty much have a full stack of bread on me at all times, and it's the only thing I ever bother eating.

Ranching is cool and all, but having to chase cows/pigs around and then cook their meat is more bother than it's worth when bonemeal makes cropping so easy.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Boat posted:

Really, a skeleton dungeon is the "you've won the game" button now. I've got my 9x9 indoor wheat farm that I harvest and immediately regrow, and more arrows than I could ever possibly need. I pretty much have a full stack of bread on me at all times, and it's the only thing I ever bother eating.

Ranching is cool and all, but having to chase cows/pigs around and then cook their meat is more bother than it's worth when bonemeal makes cropping so easy.

Not to mention you can make a risk free exp vending machine. As long as you are ok breaking a few swords on hundreds of skeleton shin bones.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
^^^ Again why the hell would you want to play like this?

So many people are so worried about everything in this thread. I never have, and never will be stunted by hunger. There are literally a million things you can eat in the world. Barring that, planting a 9x9 wheat field will grant you enough food forever if you harvest when your hungry and replant. On top of that there are tons of animals, sure they don't respawn, but you can always breed them or hit a new chunk, as there are infinite. Eating food mid battle is stupid. Having a cool down timer on food eating is equally frustrating (look at terraria). Apples dropping at .05% per leaf block means running through a forest will net you A TON of apples. If you don't think this is the case, you should really look at how many leaf blocks there are per tree. I mean there is even mushrooms of both kinds found underground and in the loving nether now for christs sake. I think a lot of people here would be better suited for creative.

edit: Also yes, you can cheese monster spawners neat. Enjoy playing your game like that. I fight enemies when I find them underground or at night like a man. I have several spawners by me I could build grinders for and leave my guy idle for ~free items~ but you don't have to. You literally don't need to in even the slightest way. I have more bones then I will ever need (8 stacks of 64 from the two weeks since my server has been up) and I have just collected those overtime from fighting monsters.

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 8, 2011

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Edminster posted:

What? Toss some bonemeal onto a patch of grass, and it grows a bunch of wildgrass and flowers.

Leadthumb posted:

If it's the tall grass they eat, you can use bonemeal to grow a patch of tall grass and flowers. I think that would be more fun than if they just ate the grass off the dirt tile, having to tend to the pasture if you want wool to grow.

Thanks! I had no idea, I just started playing this a few weeks ago. Some things about this game just aren't horribly obvious!

Also as far as food goes, melons are the best option IMHO if you can get them. a 7x5 melon patch will grow 14 melons which never need to be replanted and usually yields a little more than a full stack of melons slices. Just re till the land and lo and behold, more melons when you come back. that's it. harvesting and retilling takes maybe 30 seconds and lasts for a good long while.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Senator Woofington posted:

I fight enemies when I find them underground or at night like a man.

Ah yes the gender roles and politics of minecraft.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Senator Woofington posted:

edit: Also yes, you can cheese monster spawners neat. Enjoy playing your game like that. I fight enemies when I find them underground or at night like a man. I have several spawners by me I could build grinders for and leave my guy idle for ~free items~ but you don't have to. You literally don't need to in even the slightest way. I have more bones then I will ever need (8 stacks of 64 from the two weeks since my server has been up) and I have just collected those overtime from fighting monsters.

Combat in Minecraft is boring as gently caress. It consists of either bashing something as it unerringly attempts to walk directly toward you (because it has no AI whatsoever) or shooting at range from a bow as it unerringly attempts to walk directly toward you (because it has no AI whatsoever). There is nothing gripping or engaging about that. There are no attack animations that signal the mob is about to attack, so blocking is pointless. There are no special attacks to vary combat, except for the creeper's obnoxious ability to explode. The mob walks toward you, you hit it while walking backwards to not die. It is literally less complex than Rock'em-Sock'em Robots.

Believe it or not, some people find doing incredibly tedious things like that to be incredibly tedious, especially if it's expected of them to do it dozens of times every night, over and over. Especially when they could be doing something reasonably more productive, even when the list of productive activities in Minecraft is a pretty short one. But they could be mining, crafting, brewing, anything but waving a sword at an enemy with less brains than a loving moth.

As soon as combat in Minecraft becomes at least as interesting as the combat in, say, Doom, then you'd better loving believe that sensible people are going to continue to opt to farm monsters instead of romping about at night like a Goddamn idiot with delusions of machismo.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I know that this isn't the mod thread, but WalledCities and GreatWall have vastly improved Minecraft combat for me, I think it's the way the templates for dungeons are designed. My favorite structures are referred to in the logs as "Battle Basements" :allears:

It didn't change the core gameplay much (aside from all the ridiculous treasure) but I managed to get to Level 20 relatively quickly and have all the arrows and string I could ever need, AND it encourages me to explore my world to find new dungeons and hostile cities!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

When you boil it down, in Minecraft, keeping your hunger bar full lets you regen health. So in other words, food gives you health. But you have to keep maintaining it every ten minutes regardless of your actions in the world,

Not true. How quickly you lose food/gain hunger is directly related to how much you move around. Activities that limit your movement, such as mining or crafting, give hardly any hunger at all.

If you AFK you will not gain any hunger at all.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Schwarzwald posted:

Not true. How quickly you lose food/gain hunger is directly related to how much you move around. Activities that limit your movement, such as mining or crafting, give hardly any hunger at all.

Piloting a boat is also a non-hunger activity. Helps for those long explorations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah.

From the wiki:

quote:

foodLevel ranges from 0 to 20 and is represented by your Food Bar.
foodSaturationLevel is an invisible additional hunger variable, which is depleted before main foodLevel value. Eating any food will also add some to this variable. Note that this cannot exceed foodLevel. The Food Bar jitters when this equals 0.
foodTickTimer increases with every tick when foodLevel is either greater than 17 or equals zero. When foodTickTimer reaches 80 it resets to zero and then heals or deals one point of damage to the Health Bar, respectively.
foodExhaustionLevel ranges from 0.0 to 4.0 and increases with every action you take. When the exhaustion level reaches above 4.0 it will get subtracted by 4.0 and subtracts 1 point either from foodSaturationLevel or, if foodSaturationLevel equals zero, from foodLevel.

Any action not listed here will not increase exhaustion level. For example, you can travel several days by boat and food bar will not decrease.
Action Exhaustion Level increase
Walking (per meter) 0.01
Sprinting (per meter) 0.1
Swimming (per meter) 0.015
Jumping 0.2
Sprinting jump 0.8
Breaking a block 0.025
Attacking an enemy 0.3
Receiving any damage 0.3
Effects of food poisoning 15.0 over effect duration

So from completely full, you can walk 16,000 blocks, or run 1600, swim 10,666 blocks, jump 8000 times, sprint-jump 2000 times, break 6400 blocks (which would require burning through 4 of the same diamond tool), attack or get attacked 5,333 times, or sit through 10 food poisoning events.

And as others have said, riding a minecart or piloting a boat or riding a pig = 0 hunger increase.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Hunger is always poo poo in games unless you're into spergy roguelikes. It is poo poo in Minecraft.

When you boil it down, in Minecraft, keeping your hunger bar full lets you regen health. So in other words, food gives you health. But you have to keep maintaining it every ten minutes regardless of your actions in the world, or how much health you have, and that creates the exact opposite of fun.

Why the hell didn't they just take the approach of: remove the hunger mechanic, make health non-regen, and just make food directly replenish health??? This means the player is punished for taking damage, not punished for existing 10 minutes.

I have yet to hear a single good reason for how that would not be a better approach.

Really, I think the original lack of a hunger system made it more survival based. When going in caves you had to managed inventory between healing items, tools, ores you mined, and chests if you wanted to store anything incase you got killed. You had a limited amount of health and healing so you had to be careful and try to avoid getting hit. now? If a creeper blows up on me I dont give a poo poo, I just stuff my character's face full of a stack of 64 melons or bread and just keep on going.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 8, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, I'm having some ridiculous crash errors with Minecraft. I think I know what's up, but I need the error log to properly troubleshoot them. Does the software dump the log to an output file? The software crashes to black before the screen that displays the error log can display it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mob Eggs are wonderful. :v: