Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Thermopyle posted:

Hah. Was this a joke?

What the hard drive thing? Maybe I had some bad luck but I noticed that I went through hard drives incredibly fast when I used to run more than 10 threads at a time. I always thought that writing 10+ files at a time had something to due with it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I cap out my connection at 4MB/sec with 30 connections. I haven't tried lowering the number of connections in a while, though. I used to run 10-15 and max out my line at 2MB/sec, but they bumped my speed tier up this month.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

maniacripper posted:

What the hard drive thing? Maybe I had some bad luck but I noticed that I went through hard drives incredibly fast when I used to run more than 10 threads at a time. I always thought that writing 10+ files at a time had something to due with it. :colbert:

It's always sunny when my internet goes out therefore the sun is causing my disconnections.

:colbert:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Nitr0 posted:

It's always sunny when my internet goes out therefore the sun is causing my disconnections.

I KNEW IT! I'm just going to sleep during the day and only be up at night because of this, thank you I always wondered why the internet went out at "peak hours" and why it was called that, now I know its the peak of the sun's harmful data stealing rays.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Tried using a normal internal HD instead of a USB external, getting close to full gig now.

Turns out it wasn't a CPU thing.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap unmetered uncapped usenet service? I'm on a trial account or something right now and I can deal with <100d retention.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 8, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nitr0 posted:

I've actually had this happen. The DSL at my parents' old house was unreliable as hell during the day, but worked mostly fine at night. We were further down the wire than should have actually worked at all by the spec, so we had a very marginal signal and according to Verizon the above-ground lines were sagging from the heat of summer days and causing enough of a stretch over the course of a few miles of wire to take our signal from barely working to broken.

We never had any problems in winter and it went right back to unreliable the next summer until some road work resulted in a lot of the line being replaced and the problems went away.

It's rare, but it's not as silly of an idea as it sounds.

Biowarfare posted:

Tried using a normal internal HD instead of a USB external, getting close to full gig now.

USB and USB 2.0 are very CPU dependent. Where Firewire relies on intelligent controllers in both the host and the device (due to its SCSI roots), USB puts most of the responsibility on the host, so heavy USB usage can actually impact the CPU in a notable way.

USB 3 solves this for the most part, but that obviously requires you to be using USB 3 gear.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 8, 2011

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

wolrah posted:

I've actually had this happen. The DSL at my parents' old house was unreliable as hell during the day, but worked mostly fine at night. We were further down the wire than should have actually worked at all by the spec, so we had a very marginal signal and according to Verizon the above-ground lines were sagging from the heat of summer days and causing enough of a stretch over the course of a few miles of wire to take our signal from barely working to broken.

We never had any problems in winter and it went right back to unreliable the next summer until some road work resulted in a lot of the line being replaced and the problems went away.

It's rare, but it's not as silly of an idea as it sounds.

No it's pretty silly, you get my point. There's always going to be exceptions but 99% of the time this whole correlation is cause bullshit is just that. Bullshit.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

Zedlic posted:

I don't know what happened but as soon as I updated from 6.2 to 6.10 SABnzbd stopped being able to connect to my NAS.

Now, when I try to set the complete folder to either the UNC path, a mounted drive connected to the NAS, or a symbolic link to the NAS, I get: "Cannot create complete_dir folder Y:\Video". Y:\ is the mounted drive letter, works fine in Explorer, can create anything and everything in there with Explorer. Running SAB as administrator did nothing. Neither did reinstalling 6.2. Neither did rebooting.

This is all I get from the log:

pre:
2011-12-07 21:07:18,770::INFO::[misc:331] complete_dir directory: Y:\Video does not exist, try to create it

2011-12-07 21:07:18,770::ERROR::[misc:333] Cannot create directory Y:\Video
Any ideas?

Edit: Uninstalling SAB, removing all settings, and reinstalling also did nothing.

Edit2: Neither did installing 6.12.

Edit3: I hate multiple edits but more information is better. Safe mode worked. What the hell is going on?

Problem solved. Posting in case anyone has the same issue.

Turns out that the "Run on startup" option causes SABnzbd (on Windows) to run as System, not the user who is logging in. This causes all kinds of permission issues. Running SABnzbd manually as my user was what fixed it, the fact that it was Safe mode was not relevant.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Zedlic posted:

Problem solved. Posting in case anyone has the same issue.

Turns out that the "Run on startup" option causes SABnzbd (on Windows) to run as System, not the user who is logging in. This causes all kinds of permission issues. Running SABnzbd manually as my user was what fixed it, the fact that it was Safe mode was not relevant.

You could shove a shortcut to SAB in the startup folder for your user account, and then forget about it. If not you could make a batch file and throw a delay in it then have it start SAB(then throw it in startup), odd fix that should probably be done on SABs end, but it's not terribly hard to overcome.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
http://www.newsdemon.com/free-usenet-form.php

They're giving out free accounts to anyone with an .edu email or charity. Not sure what the limits are.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lenins Potato posted:

http://www.newsdemon.com/free-usenet-form.php

They're giving out free accounts to anyone with an .edu email or charity. Not sure what the limits are.

Massive catch: .edu professors, no students probably

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

pixaal posted:

You could shove a shortcut to SAB in the startup folder for your user account, and then forget about it. If not you could make a batch file and throw a delay in it then have it start SAB(then throw it in startup), odd fix that should probably be done on SABs end, but it's not terribly hard to overcome.

Yeah I'll probably do something like that. The problem was solved as soon as I realized what the hell was going on. And yeah, this should at least be in the documentation for the folder config page.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap unmetered uncapped usenet service? I'm on a trial account or something right now and I can deal with <100d retention.

Frugal Usenet 300 days retention for $50 a year, or $6 a month.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

SlipperyNipple posted:

Frugal Usenet 300 days retention for $50 a year, or $6 a month.

Do you know where I can find a list of providers to pick from that isn't basically one giant affiliate ad for like the usenext garbage? The one in the OP is missing a fair bit and prices listed aren't up to date anymore.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Biowarfare posted:

Do you know where I can find a list of providers to pick from that isn't basically one giant affiliate ad for like the usenext garbage? The one in the OP is missing a fair bit and prices listed aren't up to date anymore.

I think we usually just recommend Supernews with the super special savers deal or whatever because it's pretty much the best service. It's on the OP.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Most of those "review" sites are just that, afiliate crap where they push whatever service pays the most. I guess the best thing to do is buy off of simple forum feedback from different forums.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

Massive catch: .edu professors, no students probably

Oh. I'm a prof. Wonder how secure the information is when I download through them.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Biowarfare posted:

I wouldn't consider the OP to be "missing a fair bit". What it's missing is the jillion different Highwinds resellers and some obscure providers that primarily serve mainland Europe. The only significant pricing / retention changes that happen are that Blocknews constantly gets cheaper and that all providers are still retaining basically all posts since August 2008.

What do you think the OP is missing?

Also, I fully agree that most "review" sites are effectively just advertising outlets.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

inpheaux posted:

I wouldn't consider the OP to be "missing a fair bit". What it's missing is the jillion different Highwinds resellers and some obscure providers that primarily serve mainland Europe. The only significant pricing / retention changes that happen are that Blocknews constantly gets cheaper and that all providers are still retaining basically all posts since August 2008.

What do you think the OP is missing?

Also, I fully agree that most "review" sites are effectively just advertising outlets.

"UsenetServer Special - $8/mo, Normal Highwinds retention, SickBeard referral link."
I can't seem to find that plan anymore unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

Didn't realize that half the providers were just reselling highwinds, though random thought: how hard would it be to apply to be a reseller then sell at cost to goons or something.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

"UsenetServer Special - $8/mo, Normal Highwinds retention, SickBeard referral link."

Didn't realize that half the providers were just reselling highwinds, though random thought: how hard would it be to apply to be a reseller then sell at cost to goons or something.

Highwind is generally the lowest of the major providers and giganews the highest. $10/month for supernews + some for a block account from a non giganews reseller tends to be the cheapest. It's really up to you though, I think supernews is a better deal. I used a highwind reseller for 2 years awhile back and they were kinda flakey. I remember back in 2006 they had a 2 week outage and never replaced the missing articles.

They may be better now (no idea) but supernews hasn't let me down.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

inpheaux posted:

and some obscure providers that primarily serve mainland Europe.
Any idea about how hard these guys are hit by DMCA takedowns, compared to everyone else?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something I've noticed with SickBeard that others might want to keep an eye on...

I have lots of HDDs connected to my system, I use my system drive for temporary download, unpack etc before they get moved to specific drives for content. I noticed one of my drives had dropped to about 25gb free but didn't have chance to sort it out and presumed it'd be fine because nothing was scheduled to cause it to run out of space.

I couldn't foresee that a higher quality version of something I was watching was about to be released and SickBeard proceeded to do it's thing and replace 1gb files with 3gb files, which is fine. However, what happened is it completed this for as many times as it could until drive space ran out, errored then moved onto the next one. So it deleted 10 files then partially copied over new ones.

SAB doesn't consider this an error, it just doesn't tag it as a fully completed script. The files exist on the HDD so it's easy to presume 'oh they must be fine', but they're all damaged. Luckily the full downloads are still on my temp drive, but it's easy to see folders left over from moves and presume it's just down to a junk file it couldn't move and delete them.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Biowarfare posted:

Oh, looks like Sickbeard no longer has a referral gig with Highwinds. nzb.su has a $10/mo deal with either UNS or Newshosting, complete with some classy scantily clad ladies on the banners.

Biowarfare posted:

Not worth it, since the discount pricing they typically let you go down to only gets you to the same ~$10 pricepoint as everyone else in the industry.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
This may have been covered already, but I certainly haven't seen it:

I'm trying to add search providers to my sickbeard configuration. One of the places I really like is nzb.su. They have a page that is set up to help you configure this as a custom newznab, but I don't think I've got it configured correctly. Do I have to have my sabnzbd port forwarded??? I'm not sure why that's required.

Example: There's a TV show that is on nzb.su that I know it should be able to grab, but it is refusing to do so.

Can someone point me to a different page or hold my hand in trying to configure this thing? Explain it to me like I'm 5 years old.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 15, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LaserWash posted:

This may have been covered already, but I certainly haven't seen it:

I'm trying to add search providers to my sickbeard configuration. One of the places I really like is nzb.su. They have a page that is set up to help you configure this as a custom newznab, but I don't think I've got it configured correctly. Do I have to have my sabnzbd port forwarded??? I'm not sure why that's required.

Example: There's a TV show that is on nzb.su that I know it should be able to grab, but it is refusing to do so.

Can someone point me to a different page or hold my hand in trying to configure this thing? Explain it to me like I'm 5 years old.
Did you add the API key?
It's in your profile on the site.

This is my config.

It is entirely possible this isn't actually doing anything but it looks like it's set up right.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Just so I'm clear. I enter the NZB key from SABnzbd and not the API key, correct?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I'm working on getting a show that isn't listed as being in the correct season/episode number. Does that matter?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

LaserWash posted:

I'm working on getting a show that isn't listed as being in the correct season/episode number. Does that matter?

If the name/season/episode in the nzb file doesn't match what TheTVDB, then Sickbeard won't find it. It also won't pick up files outside of your quality settings (if it can find SD but you've specified HD, for example).

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
DELETED :-) The TVDB is showing this show as being in Season 5. Sickbeard shows it as being in Season 2. Is there a way to fix that?

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 15, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LaserWash posted:

Just so I'm clear. I enter the NZB key from SABnzbd and not the API key, correct?
API key from your NBZ.su profile.
It gives you access to an RSS feed.

LaserWash posted:

The show I'm trying to grab rhymes with dawn fars. The TVDB is showing this show as being in Season 5. Sickbeard shows it as being in Season 2. Is there a way to fix that?
Nope.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Nope.

Nuts.

So if I try and configure RSS from nzb.su, will SABnzbd pick that up automatically?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

LaserWash posted:

The show I'm trying to grab rhymes with

Don't do this. The Sickbeard forums or the thread on XBMC are a much better place to discuss specific shows and what not.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Also, are they any alternatives to sickbeard that might be able to fix that problem?

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
LaserWash,

I know what you are talking about and it is just all kinds of :psyduck: I don't know what artard decided that a 120 episode season would be a good idea. The only way to fix it is to go grab the files and rename them to match accordingly. If you just do TITLE - S02E34.avi it will pick it up just fine on it's next import scan.

At least this is what I did for a similar situation.

I love sick beard, but I treat it more of a jumping off point which I will manually help along every so often. It's great at the popular stuff, but it's not so good at the canceled and obscure. I don't have any premium sites however so your mileage may vary.

---

As a question, I am trying to do some handbrake encoding. I got the whole thing down pat, fill up the queue, wait a day, fill it up some more. Is there a way to distribute the work load to other machines in my home. I have a few extra computers just lying around and would like to dump an ISO or large 1080p file and convert it to my standard settings and then have it dump back the output to a central point. I have plenty of local hard disk space and network traffic isn't an issue as it's all wired Gig-e. I imagine this is possible, and I guess I could write a front end/my own GUI but I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel here.

Edit: To be clear I am not talking about parallel encoding so much as distributed encoding. More folding at home than bluejean. I want to encode two files at the same time from a single queue - that auto fills from one to the next. If it doesn't exist, I guess I found my christmas project.

KennyG fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 15, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LaserWash posted:

Also, are they any alternatives to sickbeard that might be able to fix that problem?
No.
When TheTVDB and The Scene numbering disagree you're hosed as far as automatic downloading goes.

You can manually download, rename, and make processing work, but you can't get Sickbeard to download 2-120 if The Scene thinks it's 4-60.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

There is a project in the works that'd map tvdb numbers to scene numbers and viceversa. I hope it'll actually end up working out well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

duz posted:

There is a project in the works that'd map tvdb numbers to scene numbers and viceversa. I hope it'll actually end up working out well.

Another project I've had on the back burner of my brain stolen! I better get royalties.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
Sickbeard should allow a local db override. Figure out a correction and tell Sickbeard instead of fighting thetvdb for control

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

KennyG posted:

Sickbeard should allow a local db override. Figure out a correction and tell Sickbeard instead of fighting thetvdb for control
It should have a local db period.
The whole thing locks up when TheTVDB is down and doesn't even have an error message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It should have a local db period.
The whole thing locks up when TheTVDB is down and doesn't even have an error message.

It has a local db. The only thing it relies on TVDB for is getting the original show info, then it stores that locally and continues to search for it. You can get into a bind when new episode information isn't updated on TVDB, then the TVDB goes down, because Sickbeard won't look for the new ep until it downloads the info.

I've never seen SB lock up when TVDB is down, just not be able to get new information and produce a lot of errors in the log. I'm running from source, though, so it might not be that way on other builds.

Speaking of, Sickbeard apparently added Trakt notification recently, but I have no idea what for. Trakt is for scrobbling what you watch, not what you download, right? :?