Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I just got two more monitors and created an Eyefinity display group. All are connected by displayport. How can I set them in portrait mode? I've looked over every option in CCC, and can't find it.

edit: Got it - Had to remove the eyefinity group, then set displays to portrait, then reenable.

EDIT: HOLY poo poo THIS IS AWESOME.

I'm going for a closer-to-realistic FOV rather than an expanded one. Probably not as good for multiplayer FPS skill-wise, but more immersive. IE: Now a ~70 FOV in-game will actually take up 70 degrees of my vision.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Has anyone gotten Starcraft II working properly with Eyefinity?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 8, 2011

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Starcraft is set to only allow a fixed range of resolutions, so that people with more monitors don't benefit from having a larger area of the game available to view.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Starcraft is set to only allow a fixed range of resolutions, so that people with more monitors don't benefit from having a larger area of the game available to view.
I got it working by editing the Documents\Starcraft II\variables file. Starcraft II is rendered in 3D, so view area is not linked to resolution like it was with 2D RTSs like Age of Empires 2.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Is anyone still making 2048x1152 resolution monitors? Doesn't look like it but want to make sure I haven't overlooked anything.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Veinless posted:

Is anyone still making 2048x1152 resolution monitors? Doesn't look like it but want to make sure I haven't overlooked anything.

Google lists a handful of refurbs. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
My new U2412M has a bright red stuck pixel in the middle of the screen. I bought it from Amazon, and I'm able to return it. However, is there anything I can do to fix it myself? Do those "unstick your pixel" programs actually work?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I had some luck with one on my notebook, fixing a stuck red pixel with a combination of a stimulator program and tapping the pixel gently with a pen cap. I have no idea if it would work on an IPS screen or if that matters.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

INTJ Mastermind posted:

My new U2412M has a bright red stuck pixel in the middle of the screen. I bought it from Amazon, and I'm able to return it. However, is there anything I can do to fix it myself? Do those "unstick your pixel" programs actually work?

I have a stuck green subpixel on my laptop display, and tried a few things to coax it back to life, sometimes it will work.. temporarily.

It should be covered by Dell's PremierPanel guarantee too, 0 stuck pixels in 3 years or you get a replacement.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

It might work, but the only guaranteed way is to take advantage of that awesome guarantee and let Dell know. Every time I've RMA'd with them, new display arrives via FedEx in 2-days, put your display in that box, drop-off at FedEx, enjoy. Total cost to you, maybe 20 minutes of your time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is this Acer for $89 at Best Buy as bad as the reviews say it is?

I'm replacing a Dell 228WFP from about 3-4 years ago, it was only 1650x1050 or whatever so I was looking for something in the 1920x1080 resolution

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+21.5%22+Flat-Panel+LCD+Monitor/2596077.p?id=1218338417745&skuId=2596077&st=acer%2022%22&cp=1&lp=2

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Is this Acer for $89 at Best Buy as bad as the reviews say it is?

I'm replacing a Dell 228WFP from about 3-4 years ago, it was only 1650x1050 or whatever so I was looking for something in the 1920x1080 resolution

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+21.5%22+Flat-Panel+LCD+Monitor/2596077.p?id=1218338417745&skuId=2596077&st=acer%2022%22&cp=1&lp=2

Aside from the guy who apparently couldn't figure out menu buttons (or read the manual...), sounds its like a TN panel with extra poor viewing angles (even for TN).

I'd get this display as a spare for a server rack in the basement or something, but not as a primary-use monitor. Maybe as a secondary/tertiary monitor for IRC or resmon, but not for anything useful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

movax posted:

Aside from the guy who apparently couldn't figure out menu buttons (or read the manual...), sounds its like a TN panel with extra poor viewing angles (even for TN).

I'd get this display as a spare for a server rack in the basement or something, but not as a primary-use monitor. Maybe as a secondary/tertiary monitor for IRC or resmon, but not for anything useful.

I'm going to have to just look at it in the store. My old monitor was the free/cheap monitor that came with my $399 Dell 3 years ago, so I'm sure it's nothing special in the first place. I use an iMac at work all day with an Viewsonic VG2236wm-LED (twice the price of the Acer) next to it, and I can live with that.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
I'm in the market for some new monitors to go with the new computer I'm putting together. Mostly for office/coding. Occasionally messing around with photoshop/after effects, but I'm on a tight budget and am perfectly fine with TN panels.

Only main requirement is that is at least 1920x1080. DVI and HDMI jacks would be nice.

I happened to see this on Newegg, with a $30 off promo code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009255

Acer S231HLbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI LED-Backlight LCD monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 ACM 12,000,000:1 (1000:1)

$159.99 w/ free shipping + $30 off promo code = $129.99

I need 3 of them and can get them for < $400 shipped. Really hate to spend much more than $400.

I know viewing angles & contrast ratios and all that in the specs are usually marketing garbage that mean nothing.

Is this monitor decent or is it going to be a pile of garbage? I'm using an Acer AL1916W right now, as long as they aren't any worse than it we're good.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I'm going to have to just look at it in the store. My old monitor was the free/cheap monitor that came with my $399 Dell 3 years ago, so I'm sure it's nothing special in the first place. I use an iMac at work all day with an Viewsonic VG2236wm-LED (twice the price of the Acer) next to it, and I can live with that.

Oops, didn't see it was from Best Buy. Yeah, definitely look at in person, post trip report.

Maniaman: It looks like a fairly decent TN panel that would fit your needs. Apparently this model has been carried at Staples and other B&M stores in the past; I'd try to get a look in person if you can.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

movax posted:

Oops, didn't see it was from Best Buy. Yeah, definitely look at in person, post trip report.

They had it at the store but not on display. Bought it anyway and just got it home. It better get better as it warms up, it's been in my trunk the last 6 hours and it's 30 degrees out.

This monitor sucks a big bag of dicks. The viewing angles are atrocious, the brightness and contrast controls might as well not even be there, and the stand is the flimsiest piece of plastic ever.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

They had it at the store but not on display. Bought it anyway and just got it home. It better get better as it warms up, it's been in my trunk the last 6 hours and it's 30 degrees out.

This monitor sucks a big bag of dicks. The viewing angles are atrocious, the brightness and contrast controls might as well not even be there, and the stand is the flimsiest piece of plastic ever.

But 30 degrees is summer temperatures :v::hf::canada:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe this should be in the OP as a glowing story about cheap TN screens.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/12/07/acer_restructuring/ posted:

Acer CEO: No more 'cheap and unprofitable' products

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Can you take pictures for the OP? That would be awesome, as HalloKitty says.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

movax posted:

It might work, but the only guaranteed way is to take advantage of that awesome guarantee and let Dell know. Every time I've RMA'd with them, new display arrives via FedEx in 2-days, put your display in that box, drop-off at FedEx, enjoy. Total cost to you, maybe 20 minutes of your time.

Well drat, technically my defect is a "Dark Pixel" because it shows up on a white background but not on a black background. Dell Ultrasharps are gaurenteed against 1 bright pixel, but 6! dark pixels.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=414288

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

I got it working by editing the Documents\Starcraft II\variables file. Starcraft II is rendered in 3D, so view area is not linked to resolution like it was with 2D RTSs like Age of Empires 2.
I just did a screenshot comparison: When using three monitors in portrait, I have the same vertical FOV as before, but a proportionally increased horizontal FOV due to the wider aspect ratio. So, you can increase the viewable area in Starcraft II using eyefinity.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Does it make sense to download a calibrated ICC profile online for your monitor? Do monitors tend to vary a lot on an individual basis in terms of color inaccuracies? Or is it more like a universal bias with a particular model of display?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Does it make sense to download a calibrated ICC profile online for your monitor? Do monitors tend to vary a lot on an individual basis in terms of color inaccuracies? Or is it more like a universal bias with a particular model of display?
A bit of both, really. From a given "correct" color space, a given model of monitor will more or less universally be skewed in particular ways. However, variations exist within a given model, so individual monitors may be skewed more or less than the monitor that was used to generate the ICC profile you're downloading. In the end, it'll probably get you closer to "correct" than how it was out of the box, but it won't be nearly as good as getting an actual calibrator yourself.

To just pick a number, I'd say downloading a good ICC profile might get you half the distance from out-of-the-box to correctly calibrated. The downside is that you may pick a profile that wasn't created correctly, or was done on a monitor towards one end of the skew spectrum while your monitor is at the other end, resulting in an even more "wrong" color reproduction than the default.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Any of you guys have any experience or thoughts on Sony's Playstation 3D Display? It'll serve as my computer monitor primarily but I don't care about 3D on PC games, just for watching blu-ray on my PS3. From what I've read the Asus VG236H in the OP can't do 3D through HDMI.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Well drat, technically my defect is a "Dark Pixel" because it shows up on a white background but not on a black background. Dell Ultrasharps are gaurenteed against 1 bright pixel, but 6! dark pixels.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=414288

just barely imperfect U2412M bros :smith::respek::smith:

Also check if it shows up on red/green/blue. It might be two busted subpixels. Not into 'replace this you jerks' range, but it's another step of the way if it starts heading that way.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 9, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Just tell them it's a bright stuck pixel. For all they know by the time they get it, it might be busted, and therefore stuck dark. Point is, it doesn't matter to you. They cross-shipped my replacement U2410 (one of the backlight inverters, all my pixels were flawless) so I had it in my hands before they even saw my old U2410. (My new one had no pixel faults either, and was a much newer revision, yay!).

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
So, I bought a refurbished U2711 a couple of days ago, and I am having second thoughts about it since the shipment got delayed (oddly enough refurbs get delayed too). Is it worth the $600 gamble for the refurbished?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

movax posted:

Can you take pictures for the OP? That would be awesome, as HalloKitty says.

I'll try but the only camera I have is an iPhone.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Called and bitched about my 2412 getting delayed, got free next day shipping. Cool.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I'll try but the only camera I have is an iPhone.

It's not focused but you can just see how washed out the colors are compared to my Macbook Air (which isn't the best screen out there in the first place)

NOTICE THE APPLE IS RED ON MY LAPTOP AND SOME GRAYISH BROWN ON THE ACER MONITOR

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Both those apples look like tomatoes to me, so you might want to ask for a refund on both.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!

Munkaboo posted:

Called and bitched about my 2412 getting delayed, got free next day shipping. Cool.

How did you manage this?? I've been trying to do this for a week but the best they'll do is refund me $25. And keep telling me "sir it will take 6-8 business days to process this transaction" or some dumb crap. I placed this order on Nov. 19, this is nuts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ended up going to OfficeMax and got another Acer, the S211HL

http://www.officemax.com/technology/monitors/product-prod3292936

Huge improvement, the only thing I don't really like is the glossy bezel but oh well.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
My black friday 2412 order finally shipped yesterday. Looking forward to it.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

My refurb U2412M is here. There's a bit of backlight leaking on the left side. Some golden areas visible when the screen is showing something rather dark.

Taken with a cell phone camera in a room with no other light sources. Is this amount of bleed worth worrying about? More accurately, would Dell do something about it? I only ever notice the bottom left in normal use, but it can be pretty annoying.

Kegwen fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 10, 2011

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Kegwen posted:

My refurb U2412M is here. There's a bit of backlight leaking on the left side. Some golden areas visible when the screen is showing something rather dark.

Taken with a cell phone camera in a room with no other light sources. Is this amount of bleed worth worrying about? More accurately, would Dell do something about it? I only ever notice the bottom left in normal use, but it can be pretty annoying.

If it bothers you I think you can get it switched out.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

Kegwen posted:

Mine had slightly less but it was visible in all four corners. A month later and there's no bleeding whatsoever, maybe a bit in the top-right corner but even then it looks more like regular IPS glow. Wish I had before and after pictures for comparison.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
My refurb U2711 is here. Is there any logistics I need to do?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Color calibrate it and don't drop it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

Color calibrate it and don't drop it?

Excellent.

I'm more intrigued by the touch or heat sensitive buttons right now than the display itself. I can't go back to my U2311H now!