Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'd love to see dark souls in the marathon. I think it could milk donations too in order to make it harder.

Maybe if I can get better they'll invite me next year :o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

canoshiz posted:

Wait, like an entire week straight? :stare:

7 12 hour shifts.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'd love to see dark souls in the marathon. I think it could milk donations too in order to make it harder.

Dark souls is hella random, but it's probably doable. You could even milk donations to not do the kiln glitch(which skips the entire game after the Sen Fortress bosses).

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Funkdoc doing some Castlevania practice for marathon.

http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Elmo's Letter Adventure run on SDA, hell yes!

http://speeddemosarchive.com/ElmosLetterAdventure.html

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
(something for the banner to link to)

January 4–9, 2012
100+ Games

Speed Demos Archive, the home to video game speed runs, is proud to present a special speed running marathon: Awesome Games Done Quick, a 6-day online event played to raise money for cancer prevention and streamed live for you to watch!

All donations made during the marathon will go directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation, our partner for this event.

Prevent Cancer Foundation is a nonprofit effort dedicated to preventing cancer through research, education, and outreach. 100% of your donations go toward supporting Prevent Cancer Foundation in its mission.

The stream will start on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012 at 3 PM EST (GMT-5). You can watch the stream on SDA's homepage.

Special Events

During the marathon, we'll be holding several special events to keep things exciting:
  • Prizes – Donate for a chance to win great prizes such as hand-knitted plushes, perlers, artwork, games, and other great stuff like a Sonic comic collection and Super Meat Boy-themed meat tenderizer!
  • Donation Bids for Runs – As with every SDA marathon, you can donate for file names of your choice and certain challenges in runs. However, there are also different games and types of runs at stake! The donation battles include any% or 100% for Mega Man X, Mega Man or Bass in Mega Man 10, Alucard or Richter for an all bosses run of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, a run of Pokemon Red or Blue, and a run of LoZ: Link's Awakening or LoZ: Oracle of Seasons, among many others. Donate to pick your favorites!
  • Races – If the excitement of seeing games demolished by speed runners simply isn't enough, then make sure to watch the intense matchups between different runners as they compete to see who can complete a game faster. This marathon will include races for Sonic Adventure 2, Mega Man X, Mirror's Edge, the Legend of Zelda, and other great games!
  • Co-op Runs – Watch as runners team up to finish games in even faster and more ridiculous ways than usual. The co-op runs in this marathon include Portal 2, TMNT4: Turtles in Time, Contra 3, Double Dragon 2, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Magicka, and the Lawnmower Man.

Games to look out for
  • Quake
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Earthbound
  • Pokemon Red/Blue
  • Portal 2 (co-op)
  • Halo Reach
  • Demon's Souls
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Sonic 1, 2, S3&K & Sonic Adventure 2
  • Mega Man 2, 3, & 10
  • Mega Man X, X2, & X6
  • Super Mario Bros & SMB3
  • SMW or Lost Levels
  • Super Mario 64 & Super Mario Galaxy
  • Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • LoZ: Oracle of Seasons or Link's Awakening
  • Super Meat Boy (donate for all levels)
  • Half-Life
  • Mirror's Edge (race)
  • Castlevania 1, 3, 4, AoS & SotN
  • Bayonetta & Vanquish
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Contra, Super C, & Contra 3
  • Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, KSSU
...and many more!

Promo Video

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 16, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm more a fan of the 2nd banner.

Duke Davis, punk rocker extraordinaire and the world's coolest martial arts vigilante. :cool:

iastudent fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 8, 2011

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Nice writeup, UA - I quoted the whole thing into the top of the OP.

Alpha3KV posted:

Elmo's Letter Adventure run on SDA, hell yes!

http://speeddemosarchive.com/ElmosLetterAdventure.html

Haha this is way more entertaining than it should be. That game may very well have the most tolerable water level in the history of video games.

Earlier today I popped in Blast Corps to try a new Backlash strat and got 5.8 almost immediately (old record was 6.2), so I decided to see if I could knock it down to 5.7. I kinda got addicted to it and uh... this happened http://www.twitch.tv/peaches__/b/302071992... over 1,800 attempts later :staredog:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
This is pretty tangential as far as speedrunning goes, but Cosmo is currently trying to play through OoT blind. And I mean blind. He's got no visual feed, just the game audio and his stream chat. Somehow he's bumbled through to Jabu-Jabu's Belly, and just finished destroying Big Octo and outsmarting two jello molds. This is way, way more entertaining than it should be.

EDIT: He's on his way to Barinade very soon. That outta be a trainwreck.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Violen posted:

This is pretty tangential as far as speedrunning goes, but Cosmo is currently trying to play through OoT blind. And I mean blind. He's got no visual feed, just the game audio and his stream chat. Somehow he's bumbled through to Jabu-Jabu's Belly, and just finished destroying Big Octo and outsmarting two jello molds. This is way, way more entertaining than it should be.

I've had this open all day and it's great. It's one part Cosmo's ridiculously expansive knowledge about the game and one part streamchat actually cooperating to help him out.. normally his chat is a bunch of stupid Kappa/meme spam once that many people are watching.

edit: died once to Barinade... holy poo poo that fight was intense hahah

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 9, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Violen posted:

poo poo that was close.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I think I lost a year of my life from that backflip dodge.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
Have people attempted this before? Because this is some seriously funny/awesome poo poo

edit: with the stream and everything i mean

WHATEVS SISTER fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 9, 2011

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I love how he uses the stereo sound to find the blue warps after the bosses.

e:

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Have people attempted this before? Because this is some seriously funny/awesome poo poo

I recall an actual blind man doing this as a challenge. It took him a lot longer, but he did a bunch of research to begin.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
This is awesome.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Just tuned in to this right in time to watch him beat barinade. This is goddamn amazing.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Baram posted:

Just tuned in to this right in time to watch him beat barinade. This is goddamn amazing.

Can't wait for the Water Temple.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
*Opens Door of Time* "Oh I should probably grab Din's Fire shouldn't I"

This is great.

EDIT: Just made the Master Sword grab at right under 8 hours (7:59:25 I think).

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 9, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Cosmo started this Blind Run file today, but he actually had started a different one a couple days ago where he was playing an actual speedrun route as opposed to a natural route through the game. Him managing to get Bombchus early without seeing the screen blew my mind.

Also, after 8 hours, he's finally putting the Blind Run Challenge on pause and going with an actual MST run attempt.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
If anyone tuned in for the blind run and hasn't seen/isn't familiar with MST, it's worth it to keep watching.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sonic Adventure is a hilarious game to run through walls in and skip large sections of levels easily. The more difficult skips have the biggest payoff. I've been playing it and the risk vs reward nature makes it fun to race Sonic's story, the only part worth playing. I will be racing esteemed speedrunner Sonikkustar this weekend in live internet combat. I'm down to 1:14:31, better than the worst time on SRL.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Heran Bago posted:

Sonic Adventure is a hilarious game to run through walls in and skip large sections of levels easily. The more difficult skips have the biggest payoff. I've been playing it and the risk vs reward nature makes it fun to race Sonic's story, the only part worth playing. I will be racing esteemed speedrunner Sonikkustar this weekend in live internet combat. I'm down to 1:14:31, better than the worst time on SRL.

Make sure you keep an eye on his stream :iamafag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ZflWxihUk

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Wow, that's lovely to call your viewership of being blind all for the sake of winning a friendly competition.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

furry drum circle posted:

Make sure you keep an eye on his stream :iamafag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ZflWxihUk

:wtc: Why would you even cheat in a speedrun of any sort? Don't you feel bad enough already playing the same old games over and over? I sure do.

I'm more determined than ever to win at this lovely game.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Square-Enix games speedrunner extraordinaire Essentia is streaming attempts of single segment Chrono Trigger 100% runs. She's aiming for 5:45. http://www.twitch.tv/essentiafour

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I'll be participating in that Sonic Adventure speedrun race as well. I cannot believe our opponent is a dirty cheater. :smith: That's alright though. I'll do my best to have fun and maybe even win, all without cheating or cracking a single joke about autism.

Because god knows if I win a speedrun race on the internet regarding a decade old game about anthropomorphic characters, I won't have any right to be making jokes about autism.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Square-Enix games speedrunner extraordinaire Essentia is streaming attempts of single segment Chrono Trigger 100% runs. She's aiming for 5:45. http://www.twitch.tv/essentiafour

I remember reading about attempts at this in october.. it's morbid curiosity that leads me back to check out such a long run. If you guys haven't checked out inichi's run on SDA, definitely have a look. He completes the game shortly after getting sealed out of 12000BC by the prophet

edit: and I'm immediately reminded why I muted the audio...

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Peaches__, where would you say is the best place to watch your Japan Relief Done Quick run of Blast Corps? Because it was so ad-hoc I couldn't find anything on SDA.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

HoldYourFire posted:

Peaches__, where would you say is the best place to watch your Japan Relief Done Quick run of Blast Corps? Because it was so ad-hoc I couldn't find anything on SDA.

It never got officially encoded but I found this link deep within the forums: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C5GATUW0 (.flv format) It's the whole 1:49 100% with the 1-hand IL's afterwards. It seems to cut out a little bit early but all you miss is me explaining that I didn't want to redo Magma Peak after dying on the last raft just to hold up Cosmo's OoT run.

Heran when is your race? I want to see you take on Sonikkustar . . .

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 10, 2011

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Peaches__ wants to see my race? :swoon: It'll be 6 PM pacific time. I stream here and Mr. star is probably here. Tune in for boss 1-hit KOs.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

furry drum circle posted:

It never got officially encoded but I found this link deep within the forums: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C5GATUW0 (.flv format) It's the whole 1:49 100% with the 1-hand IL's afterwards. It seems to cut out a little bit early but all you miss is me explaining that I didn't want to redo Magma Peak after dying on the last raft just to hold up Cosmo's OoT run.

Heran when is your race? I want to see you take on Sonikkustar . . .

Thanks a lot!

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Holy hell, I just beat Heran Bago and SonikkuStar at that Sonic Adventure speedrun race, by a very slim margin. I was trailing right behind Heran the entire time until I caught up on Lost World, then it was neck and neck until we both died on the final boss at different points and I edged out a win. SonikkuStar came in 3rd a couple minutes later. It was a well played game all around!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
AGDQ 2012 Promo Video Spread it around...

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

UraniumAnchor posted:

AGDQ 2012 Promo Video Spread it around...

Killer promo. Looking forward to it!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

factorialite posted:

Killer promo. Looking forward to it!

Ditto. This is gonna be great. :)

Tangentially, does anyone know when Siglemic's runs start today?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Kyrosiris posted:

Ditto. This is gonna be great. :)

Tangentially, does anyone know when Siglemic's runs start today?

http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

Right now!

Sig's gonna be going 12 hours of attempts at the 120 star WR for 7 days starting today. Watch for some cool SM64 play.

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Does anyone know when Siglemic's runs start today?

The rumor has it that he's going to start just about now.

e: The hell? beaten. By two minutes?!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Only 20 minutes in and 5 resets already. :munch:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It's only been a half hour or so and I'm already :psyduck: like crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that guy is going to fry his brain :stare:

• Locked thread