Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Random Stranger posted:

There's a real hazard in working on the show where you'll get the game tunes stuck in your head. You listen to the same fifteen second clip of music over and over and over and you just can't get rid of it.

53 Stations was HORRIBLE for this. First the tune was stuck in my head, and then the singing started.

My brain wouldnt shut up even a week later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wandering Knitter posted:

I've decided to marathon GCCX in alphabetical order while I work on Christmas presents. Which meant starting on the 53 stations episode.

Teeeeeeen miles! Eiiiiiiight miles! :iamafag:

How many miles until Edo?~ Please wait for me my dear Momoko~

edit: Ain't that an octave too high?!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
With 53 Stations back on topic again, I've uploaded this absolutely amazing orchestrated medley of 53 Stations songs done by some dedicated wizard on Nico Nico Douga. It has every single song from the game in there. No singing, unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zTd0sM0EsA

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
If that's your YT account then I just happened upon it about 30 minutes ago after deciding to search for anyone attempting to LP 53 Stations(nobody seems to be that crazy except Arino). Didn't see this video but did see the other 53 Stations video.

Weird timing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

If that's your YT account then I just happened upon it about 30 minutes ago after deciding to search for anyone attempting to LP 53 Stations(nobody seems to be that crazy except Arino). Didn't see this video but did see the other 53 Stations video.

Weird timing.

It's strange. I can think of four people in this thread that own a copy of 53 Stations because of the show.

And I can attest that it is really just as hard as it seemed in the episode.

It also doesn't help that you're obligated to sing along with the game's music as you play.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If you guys think 53 Stations is hard then you should check out Ikki.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I bought Ikki the other day. Curse that game, too. I should translate the special DVD bonus challenge of Ikki soon.

Its BGM is also irritatingly catchy.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
I picked up 53 stations on the Japanese PSN as a PS1 game archive game (Sunsoft Memorial Series vol 3) it includes Wing of Madoola as well. I didn't even know they were featured games on GCCX episodes but I wanted the volume with Hebreke/Ufouria (My favourite NES game now & from back in the day) on psn & thought buying some of the volumes they already had up might encourage them. Anyway there's some input lag with ps1 game archive titles so you can imagine how hard 53 stations is, I can barely get past the 3rd stage. Wing of Madoola was much the same thing but lag or not I think the bad controls are part of the challenge. I couldn't believe it when I saw these games actually beaten on GCCX.

I got that re-done PSN version of Ikki when it was on special (900Y IIRC) as well but they must have made some improvements (like with minna de spelunker) since I found it played really well and the difficulty seemed tough but fair, not as much fun as that spelunker remake mind you.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ikki stands out in GCCX history for one reason, it was so hard that not even the ADs could beat it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Ikki stands out in GCCX history for one reason, it was so hard that not even the ADs could beat it.

Maybe the producers KNEW the game has no ending and subjected Arino and the ADs to it...

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Gutcruncher posted:

53 Stations was HORRIBLE for this. First the tune was stuck in my head, and then the singing started.

My brain wouldnt shut up even a week later.

Sitting here watching a TAS of Quest of Ki and I can see Ki being really bad for this as well.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Crotch Bat posted:

Sitting here watching a TAS of Quest of Ki and I can see Ki being really bad for this as well.

Got a link? I don't see one on tasvideos.org.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

redmercer posted:

Got a link? I don't see one on tasvideos.org.

I don't know how people define a TAS but it's written up like one and plays like one so I just say it's a TAS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzMZ_O4JnZk

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Ikki Online on PSN is pretty well done, compariatively. It has like, real stages and stuff!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

There's a real hazard in working on the show where you'll get the game tunes stuck in your head. You listen to the same fifteen second clip of music over and over and over and you just can't get rid of it.

This episode has been a really bad one for that too. I'm going to be hearing that song in my head for weeks.

I've had the Kamen Rider theme stuck in my head for similar reasons.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Game tunes that get stuck in your head, you say? I pretty regularly get the Spelunker music stuck in my head and frankly I couldn't be happier about that.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Awesomonster posted:

Game tunes that get stuck in your head, you say? I pretty regularly get the Spelunker music stuck in my head and frankly I couldn't be happier about that.

Since I never played that game, the first thing that I'm reminded of is that Arino sang a song to that tune. Which episode was that again?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Kiranamos posted:

Since I never played that game, the first thing that I'm reminded of is that Arino sang a song to that tune. Which episode was that again?

Clock Tower.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
According to the little developer bit in the Rockman 2 episode, apparently Arino was in a game for Gameboy when Arino was just in Yoiko and Game Center CX wasn't a thing. Anyone have anything on this?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Its a bit late here, so I might be remembering wrong. But I believe its mentioned in a season 1 interview and also in that segment where Arino picks Gameboy games that should be remade.

edit: pretty sure its Owarai Yoiko No Gaemu Dou for the GBC by Konami. Amazon.jp has it for the low price of 1 yen! plus 340 yen shipping

vkeios fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 9, 2011

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

vkeios posted:

edit: pretty sure its Owarai Yoiko No Gaemu Dou for the GBC by Konami. Amazon.jp has it for the low price of 1 yen! plus 340 yen shipping

And more recently...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It's finally happened guys. Next week's episode is apparently Battletoads. I really hope you guys choose to sub this when a good version becomes available.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Chief posted:

It's finally happened guys. Next week's episode is apparently Battletoads. I really hope you guys choose to sub this when a good version becomes available.

Isn't the Japanese version of Battletoads significantly easier than the American one? I think I recall reading that somewhere, but I could totally wrong.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

rdbbb posted:

And more recently...

Yoiko: Giggin' Frogs & Punching Chickens

And are you serious Mister Chief? Don't toy with our emotions...

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

redmercer posted:

Yoiko: Giggin' Frogs & Punching Chickens

Whenever I see that CERO A, I always think of AO...and now I can't stop giggling for some reason

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you
Watching the brilliant Out of this World episode for the first time and it kind of feels like From watched this before making and deciding to get revenge on the west with Dark Souls.

I remember trying to decipher what the aliens were saying with my cousin when I was playing it as a kid too!

PUNCH CARD
PUNCH CARD

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mister Chief posted:

Surely this is a pretty monumental challenge? Battletoads is probably the one game I want to see on GCCX, above any other.

I have to see this above all other episodes. I don't care if I have to :f5: for several months!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redmercer posted:

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/otn/gamecenter/index.html

It's true. This is going to be one hell of an episode.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Sweeeet. About two months ago, one of my friends mailed the show a copy of that game with a letter urging them to feature it in a challenge (which she got me to translate). Did it work? Most likely a coincidence (ETA: though I'm still eager to see if the episode makes any mention of a package from the US...), but either way she'll be happy about this. I will gladly move it up the subbing priority list.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 10, 2011

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

After this and the USA trip, the show may not be able to get any better for the forseeable future. This... is our year.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I just bought the Irem Arcade Hits Colllection from DotEmu for the PC. All the games are great Arcade Classics from the 80's and 90's. The game on the collection I am most wanting to play is Ninja Spirit from season 14. I will watch the raw of the episode where he plays the PC Engine version. I hope that watching Arino will help me play through the game as I heard it is difficult game. Wish me luck.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Great new thread. Arino is going to play Battletoads!? YES!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

After this and the USA trip, the show may not be able to get any better for the forseeable future. This... is our year.

Out of all the most desired games for Arino to play this was the one I least expected to show up.

I can think of six western developed games on GCCX and two of them have been in season fifteen. Someone new on staff (probably Takahashi given how heavily the AD's are involved in game selection) has some pretty broad tastes in games.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Vlaphor posted:

Isn't the Japanese version of Battletoads significantly easier than the American one? I think I recall reading that somewhere, but I could totally wrong.

Dunno about "significantly" but I just played the J-version turbo tunnel level and it's easier in two ways:

- The floating jump ramps are now on the ground.
- Instead of manually jumping the islands in the next-to-last section (the "!" part in the US version), there are now ground-based jump ramps. Which is a shame, because I've always found that part edge-of-my-seat awesome.

Also, you start the game with 5 lives instead of 3.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I can't wait until he pauses the game to check the manual or something. :aaa:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the J-version removed the pause beatbox. :negative:

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Despite Arino's gentle and patient nature, I can't help but think this is what we're going to see in the new episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQUmipv-IG0

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Be interesting to see how far he can get once the ADs inform him of all the warps.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How about that; I was wrong in the last thread.

They definitely shoot episodes in the Fuji TV building. I figured busy offices like that wouldn't work so they would shoot at the production offices where they could control things and shut them down on challenge day.

I wonder if the guys in the neighboring offices ever complain...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Where are you getting that from, out of curiosity? They used to, yeah, but I'm fffairly sure it's been in-house for several seasons.